View Poll Results: Do you use gold

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't buy gold

    14 18.42%
  • I buy gold

    39 51.32%
  • Use gold for attack/defense

    28 36.84%
  • Use gold for logistical support/queuing/insta build

    36 47.37%
  • Use gold for NPC

    36 47.37%
  • Use gold for resources

    39 51.32%
  • Population<5000 and gold

    9 11.84%
  • Population<5000 and no gold

    4 5.26%
  • Population>5000 and gold

    33 43.42%
  • Population>5000 and no gold

    6 7.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 48

Thread: Gold

  1. #1

    Default Gold

    who uses gold? the more i play the more and more it seems that gold gives too great of an advantage, i agree with all the logistical aid it delivers but not so much the 25% resource bonus

    what are the expectations of an active, top 500 player that doesn't use gold?

  2. #2

    Default

    This should be in the questions area. Not a server diplomacy forum.
    Sign up with this link so I can afford gas for my crappy old car. http://www.travian.us/?uc=us4_4738
    Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    word to your moms, r-b came to drop bombs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    I'll do it for money.

  3. #3

    Default

    questions would probably get more support based answers explaining what gold does,

    since this forum is dominated by top players that all think they are the greatest (and a 200 pop thereter) i figured i'd get a more relevant answer from you guys

    i'm just thinking it's getting to a point where I'm becoming increasingly insignificant without using gold and want to hear what you guys feel about it and see if I'm alone or not

  4. #4

    Default

    The server at travian.org is a non-gold server, if you want a level playing field you can go there, and get the full 3.5 experience, though it started Feb 4th I believe so you would be a little behind.

  5. #5
    Tradesperson
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Unicorn Farm
    Posts
    267

    Default

    gold doesn't matter because it cant buy pie!

  6. #6
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    20,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by User Name: View Post
    questions would probably get more support based answers explaining what gold does,

    since this forum is dominated by top players that all think they are the greatest (and a 200 pop thereter) i figured i'd get a more relevant answer from you guys

    i'm just thinking it's getting to a point where I'm becoming increasingly insignificant without using gold and want to hear what you guys feel about it and see if I'm alone or not
    Why are you ragging on thereter?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    Why are you ragging on thereter?
    He is jealous.
    Sign up with this link so I can afford gas for my crappy old car. http://www.travian.us/?uc=us4_4738
    Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    word to your moms, r-b came to drop bombs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    I'll do it for money.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    Why are you ragging on thereter?
    kind of funny if you read his posts you'd think he invented this game or something and he looks pretty ridiculous, you'd figure his pop could at least keep pace with his post count, he uses "fail" about every other post, I want to post "fail" on his mother's uterus

    i enjoy this game, not so much the forum cliques

    furthermore, i think it's a bit arbitrary to say this is in the wrong section of the forum when there are so many other threads alive and well that are nothing more arguments over what a hammer is and the usual "my father can beat up your father" type posts

    lastly, thank you for that info about .org, sadly 1 server already taxes my time too much as it is, but that'll definitely be my next destination
    Last edited by User Name:; 03-25-2009 at 08:12 AM.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by User Name: View Post
    kind of funny if you read his posts you'd think he invented this game or something and he looks pretty ridiculous, you'd figure his pop could at least keep paste with his post count

    i enjoy this game, not so much the forum cliques

    furthermore, i think it's a bit arbitrary to say this is in the wrong section of the forum when there are so many other threads alive and well that are nothing more arguments over what a hammer is and the usual "my father can beat up your father" type posts

    lastly, thank you for that info about .org, sadly 1 server already taxes my time too much as it is, but that'll definitely be my next destination
    1. Maybe he did invent the game. You dont know.
    2. Then find a clique to join or get off our forums.
    3. The threads about hammers and beating each other's alliances up are here because that is where they belong. This belongs in the questions forum because many players who enjoy helping newer players and who can answer almost any question you have hang out there.
    4. Then dont complain about the unfairness of gold if you arent willing to switch to an anti gold server.

    Summary: Stop whining and post where you are told to post. This place is organized for a reason.
    Sign up with this link so I can afford gas for my crappy old car. http://www.travian.us/?uc=us4_4738
    Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    word to your moms, r-b came to drop bombs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    I'll do it for money.

  10. #10
    Artisan SmackyBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by User Name: View Post
    kind of funny if you read his posts you'd think he invented this game or something and he looks pretty ridiculous, you'd figure his pop could at least keep pace with his post count, he uses "fail" about every other post, I want to post "fail" on his mother's uterus
    To be fair, good players get smacked down too. He's got a good sense of humor about it though, so there's something to be said about that.

    I don't buy any gold on this server, but I'm glad some people do. Someone's got to pay the bills.
    Originally posted in The Big "Bad Idea" Thread
    25. Limiting the number of attacks someone can make: Players will not be limited in the number of attacks they can send out per day, or the number of attacks they can send at a specific player in a given time period. This is a full-PVP war game; large numbers of fairly indiscriminant attacks are encouraged. If this bothers you, then there are plenty of similar games with more restrictions on attacking.
    It was a bad idea then and it's a bad idea now.

    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
    -Bertrand Russell

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritterbruder View Post
    1. Maybe he did invent the game. You dont know.
    2. Then find a clique to join or get off our forums.
    3. The threads about hammers and beating each other's alliances up are here because that is where they belong. This belongs in the questions forum because many players who enjoy helping newer players and who can answer almost any question you have hang out there.
    4. Then dont complain about the unfairness of gold if you arent willing to switch to an anti gold server.

    Summary: Stop whining and post where you are told to post. This place is organized for a reason.
    1. rhetorical statement - obvious
    2. rhetorical statement - you're proving my point though
    3. arbitrary statement - i don't see how a poll about the size of a hammer can be classified as "Politics & diplomacy - World 3 Breaches of contract, declarations of war and peace treaties." and a poll regarding gold usage isn't... see point #2 for more clarification
    4. ignorant statement - i never said gold was bad, just implied those choosing not to buy gold were at a pretty big disadvantage as the server grinds on and the poll is intended to find if there's any truth to that, ie if majority vote they use gold would probably confirm that theory, why else pay for something that's otherwise free?

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by User Name: View Post
    1. rhetorical statement - obvious
    2. rhetorical statement - you're proving my point though
    3. arbitrary statement - i don't see how a poll about the size of a hammer can be classified as "Politics & diplomacy - World 3 Breaches of contract, declarations of war and peace treaties." and a poll regarding gold usage isn't... see point #2 for more clarification
    4. ignorant statement - i never said gold was bad, just implied those choosing not to buy gold were at a pretty big disadvantage as the server grinds on and the poll is intended to find if there's any truth to that, ie if majority vote they use gold would probably confirm that theory, why else pay for something that's otherwise free?
    I was being a smart *** about thereter inventing travian. sorry if you need a winky smiley to understand a joke. And seriously, if you dont want people dissing you for complaining about the groups of friends on the forums, dont talk about it at all, cuz its pretty stupid to say you dont like the fact that we have friends. Complaining about the unfair advantage that gold users have over non users, IS a way of saying gold is bad and you said you didnt like the use of gold outside of logistics, which leads me to assume you used 15 gold every week just to have a bigger map and are now complaining about the fact that other people use gold to its full potential.
    And this chatter about hammers is part of the politics because a lot of alliances go to war. the hammer threads usually turn into alliance vs. alliance propaganda centers. its not out of place. your thread is though, because it is a question about the game in general. Gold isnt limited to s3 and the ppl on the questions forum can provide a better answer for you. people who have played the game longer, people who can give you examples, people who want to help you, and most importantly, as long as you post your question well in the questions forum, angry little goblins like me wont eat your livestock.
    seriously. Is it THAT hard to say "oops, I posted in the wrong spot. my bad, wont happen again." We all do it at some point. Some of us, at lest admit that we didnt read the forum directions and post in the right spot after that.

    Sign up with this link so I can afford gas for my crappy old car. http://www.travian.us/?uc=us4_4738
    Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    word to your moms, r-b came to drop bombs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    I'll do it for money.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritterbruder View Post
    I was being a smart *** about thereter inventing travian. sorry if you need a winky smiley to understand a joke. And seriously, if you dont want people dissing you for complaining about the groups of friends on the forums, dont talk about it at all, cuz its pretty stupid to say you dont like the fact that we have friends. Complaining about the unfair advantage that gold users have over non users, IS a way of saying gold is bad and you said you didnt like the use of gold outside of logistics, which leads me to assume you used 15 gold every week just to have a bigger map and are now complaining about the fact that other people use gold to its full potential.
    And this chatter about hammers is part of the politics because a lot of alliances go to war. the hammer threads usually turn into alliance vs. alliance propaganda centers. its not out of place. your thread is though, because it is a question about the game in general. Gold isnt limited to s3 and the ppl on the questions forum can provide a better answer for you. people who have played the game longer, people who can give you examples, people who want to help you, and most importantly, as long as you post your question well in the questions forum, angry little goblins like me wont eat your livestock.
    seriously. Is it THAT hard to say "oops, I posted in the wrong spot. my bad, wont happen again." We all do it at some point. Some of us, at lest admit that we didnt read the forum directions and post in the right spot after that.

    post hoc ergo propter hoc fail

    circular logic doesn't work on americans

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by User Name: View Post
    post hoc ergo propter hoc fail

    circular logic doesn't work on americans
    I saw no circular logic in my post but congrats on using one of my vocab terms in a sentence, and fail on thinking us Americans are smart. I openly accept the fact that most of our country is stupid enough to look up when some one says "look! gullible is written on the ceiling!" Even when they are outside. (I have seen it happen before. It was a sad day for humanity.)
    Sign up with this link so I can afford gas for my crappy old car. http://www.travian.us/?uc=us4_4738
    Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    word to your moms, r-b came to drop bombs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    I'll do it for money.

  15. #15
    Villager Ideruu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Northwest
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Way to stick up for yourself Username! I support you!
    s3: Ideruu Iliad II
    s5 Max Tavern

    It is good that war is so horrible, or we might grow to like it.
    Robert E. Lee

  16. #16

    Default

    yay! another cyanide and happiness avatar!
    Sign up with this link so I can afford gas for my crappy old car. http://www.travian.us/?uc=us4_4738
    Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    word to your moms, r-b came to drop bombs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    I'll do it for money.

  17. #17
    Tradesperson atheu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ingerland
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritterbruder View Post
    I openly accept the fact that most of our country is stupid enough to look up when some one says "look! gullible is written on the ceiling!" Even when they are outside. (I have seen it happen before. It was a sad day for humanity.)
    Lmao!

    The word 'gullible' has also been removed from the dictionary.

  18. #18
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    20,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by User Name: View Post
    furthermore, i think it's a bit arbitrary to say this is in the wrong section of the forum
    First of all, I don't see thereter commenting on this thread telling you this information. Second (since you seem to have just taken a logic class and want to show off,) if he did tell you that this was a thread better suited for "Questions" and you dismissed it as false due to his previous actions in game and on forum, you would be guilty of Ad Hominem Tu Quoque.
    Last edited by Baron D'Holbach; 03-25-2009 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Tense agreement correction

  19. #19
    Consul Wren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    So Chi you thought I was bashful
    Posts
    7,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atheu View Post
    The word 'gullible' has also been removed from the dictionary.
    I heard about that...
    Retired.
    s3r2: Deakon - Nemesis/WFTW (winnarz!!) ...... s6r2: Anon - CD (lulz, failtrain)...... s1r4: Trogdor - 7RU


  20. #20

    Default

    Hey!

    Thereter is a Hero of thAC.

    "logic" is for socialists, not Americans.

    This really isn't the place to post this.

    Thank you.

    s3 nanotyranus TUS-D
    s8 eagle creek Bomb Squad


    Quote Originally Posted by PaulisKhan View Post
    (please excuse my pointless trash talk-it serves no purpose other than to make me feel better about myself)
    When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight-1800-HOOYAH

  21. #21

    Default

    I ragged on thereter because he's got nearly 2,000 posts, over half of them are downright dismissive of anything anyone outside of this gang of 6 or so that dominates the forum and so I just included that rib against him, seemed pretty effective as this is the one thread he doesn't have over a dozen posts in...

    had you read the thread instead of making asinine assumptions you'd see that thereter hadn't posted, but i feel that may be asking too much because you've already make up your mind to disagree or insult me before you ever read anything i wrote

    the truth of it is none of you guys have the wit to stand up for yourselves individually and you just rely on backing each other, repeating assumptions and calling them fact and just making yourselves look like complete idiots, your whole basis is that if the six or so of us just agree with each other all the time then everyone else looks wrong, you all look like a bunch of midgets standing on each other's shoulders to make 1 tall person, when in fact it's simply a circus act

    i get the feeling you all act as forum bullies to make up for deficiencies in real life

    i'm new to the game and enjoy it very much and simply wanted to gauge the accuracy of my assumption with those who obviously play it a lot and are quite knowledgeable, however, instead of eliciting responses about gold, i got nothing but negative criticism, it's been like this in every other situation in which I've posted as well, it hasn't been one but several of you in concert just rag on me and others rather than contributing to the thread, if you didn't like that I posted a survey on gold, then don't respond, that is something for the moderator to deal with

    All I'm asking is for you guys to grow up a little, start respecting others and try to exist a little as people, rather than just the alter egos of your inner travian circle, i have a strong feeling if I ran into you in your mother's basement you'd probably treat me with actual respect

  22. #22
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    20,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by User Name: View Post
    I ragged on thereter because he's got nearly 2,000 posts, over half of them are downright dismissive of anything anyone outside of this gang of 6 or so that dominates the forum and so I just included that rib against him, seemed pretty effective as this is the one thread he doesn't have over a dozen posts in...

    had you read the thread instead of making asinine assumptions, you'd see that thereter hadn't posted, but i feel that may be asking too much because you've already make up your mind to disagree or insult me before you ever read anything i wrote

    the truth of it is,none of you guys have the wit to stand up for yourselves individually and you just rely on backing each other;repeating assumptions and calling them fact and just making yourselves look like complete idiotsStop your sentence!!your whole basis is that if the six or so of us just agree with each other all the time then everyone else looks wrong,Run on!you all look like a bunch of midgets standing on each other's shoulders to make 1one tall person, when in fact it's simply a circus act You would know right Bobo?

    i get the feeling you all act as forum bullies to make up for deficiencies in real lifeperiod goes here kid.

    i'm new to the game and enjoy it very much and simply wanted to gauge the accuracy of my assumption with those who obviously play it a lot and are quite knowledgeable, however, dude, stop it.instead of eliciting responses about gold, i got nothing but negative criticism, Ya think?it's been like this in every other situation in which I've posted as well, it hasn't been one but several of you in concert just rag on me and others rather than contributing to the thread, Oh jeez, do you know what sentence structure looks like?if you didn't like that I posted a survey on gold, then don't respond, that is something for the moderator to deal withPeriod goes here. Oh and no, I can respond to whatever I feel like.

    All I'm asking is for you guys to grow up a little, start respecting others and try to exist a little as people, rather than just the alter egos of your inner travian circle, <===Period here. i have a strong feeling if I ran into you in your mother's basement you'd probably treat me with actual respect
    Actually you are the type that I would not notice no matter how hard you tried to get me to (read Notes from Underground.)

    Ok. So you get the response someone of your wit deserves. Ready?! STFU GTFO. Run on sentence much? Punctuate much? Fail much? You just proved how horrible you are after all your proclaimed logic. Boo sir, boo. That is all. Commence stupidity.

  23. #23
    Villager Ideruu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Northwest
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Ok boys it out and play nice.

    Ima root for the underdog!

    Oh, and just to stay on topic, if you're not using gold now then you're not growing as fast as others. That's a given. I find it praiseworthy when someone lowers another village 400 points, but not when players gold back their villages up and claim they are skilled. If you wanna gold up your villages great, but don't parade around like nothing happened, and you won't see me dumping oodles of cash to repair some pixels.

    Unlike SimCity however where everythings free!! Whee!
    Last edited by Ideruu; 03-26-2009 at 09:48 AM.
    s3: Ideruu Iliad II
    s5 Max Tavern

    It is good that war is so horrible, or we might grow to like it.
    Robert E. Lee

  24. #24

    Default

    Does gold make the game easier? (Yes) Does it give you a major advantage? (No)

    Plus account 15 gold to see a larger map, double build, mass delete inbox messages and reports and see advance stats.

    Again, makes the game easier but overall no advantage, double build allows you to que to projects but the second doesn't start till the first is finished, so with timing and a sitter you can build just as much just as fast.

    25% resource bonus: Can be made null with claiming oasis's and raiding (Is of more benefit to simmers than raiders because typically, raiders don't worry about fields all that much.

    NPC merchant: You can just as easily trade to shuffle resources it just takes more effort and time.

    Insta-build and 10% Defensive and offensive bonus are about the only two areas in which gold tips the scale and gives advantage. Because the bonus makes you a tad bit tougher on offense and defense and insta-build allows you to repair damage from attacks and finish 14 hour projects instantly.

    Overall though, most gold benefits can be matched by being active, raiding heavily and using the market and rime effectively.
    US 3 (Pumkin ) Ready for another round of Sunshine, lollipops and pie, Oh and Cake too!!!

  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pardoe123 View Post
    Overall though, most gold benefits can be matched by being active, raiding heavily and using the market and rime effectively.
    I agree with what you say. However, if you add gold to the attributes you point out it magnifies them. Gold can't make you a good player, but it can make a good player more effective.
    s3 nanotyranus TUS-D
    s8 eagle creek Bomb Squad


    Quote Originally Posted by PaulisKhan View Post
    (please excuse my pointless trash talk-it serves no purpose other than to make me feel better about myself)
    When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight-1800-HOOYAH

  26. #26

    Default

    Non gold players who are active and skilled can overcome the advantage gold gives to their less skilled counterparts; however, it does require the player not using gold to be better. When two players are equally skilled, and have similar situations, the one that uses gold will do better because of the advantages.

    Of all the gold advantages though, instant-build is hands down the most powerful, and is really hard for non-gold players to compete with (even if they are active). It is also one of the more expensive ones (when used aggressively), so there is a trade-off. A very active player can keep their new villages building constantly, but they can be out built in 5-10 minutes by a player using instant-build (once both players reach the point where time is the limiting factor of construction, which most players on this server have reached awhile ago).

    Basically, gold does give players a major advantage. Talented and active players can overcome that advantage over gold users who are not as active or as good, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. This doesn't mean that gold is a bad thing though. As pointed out before, someone needs to pay the bills.

  27. #27
    Consul Wren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    So Chi you thought I was bashful
    Posts
    7,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pardoe123 View Post
    Does gold make the game easier? (Yes) Does it give you a major advantage? (No)

    Plus account 15 gold to see a larger map, double build, mass delete inbox messages and reports and see advance stats.

    Again, makes the game easier but overall no advantage, double build allows you to que to projects but the second doesn't start till the first is finished, so with timing and a sitter you can build just as much just as fast.

    25% resource bonus: Can be made null with claiming oasis's and raiding (Is of more benefit to simmers than raiders because typically, raiders don't worry about fields all that much.

    NPC merchant: You can just as easily trade to shuffle resources it just takes more effort and time.

    Insta-build and 10% Defensive and offensive bonus are about the only two areas in which gold tips the scale and gives advantage. Because the bonus makes you a tad bit tougher on offense and defense and insta-build allows you to repair damage from attacks and finish 14 hour projects instantly.

    Overall though, most gold benefits can be matched by being active, raiding heavily and using the market and rime effectively.
    This post is mostly wrong. Gold is a huge benefit.

    The 25% resource bonus is MONSTROUS. It's a free oasis of each type in every village.

    The map and full page report selection are nice but not that useful.

    Double-build is AWESOME. It lets me queue buildings so that the account doesn't stagnate when I go to class or take a nap or whatever. The minute break between finish and start is also faster than most people would notice that a multi-hour build was finished.

    Auto-complete is necessary for high level fields.

    NPC merchant is the most essential gold service. Instant 1:1 trades is vital. The normal marketplace mean you're at the whim of others and lose the time value of those resources. It also doesnt incapacitate any of your merchants, leaving you free to continue shuffling resources. Plus, there's no way the market could support the 112500 wheat I need to turn into other resources every 3 hours.

    10% offernse and defense bonuses are really useful too. It's 10 free hero levels, even if the hero isn't included!

    Gold makes the game much easier and accounts more effective, regardless of size and play style. To suggest that raiders don't use or build fields and that simmers don't attack or defend is ignorant.
    Last edited by Wren; 03-26-2009 at 06:20 PM.
    Retired.
    s3r2: Deakon - Nemesis/WFTW (winnarz!!) ...... s6r2: Anon - CD (lulz, failtrain)...... s1r4: Trogdor - 7RU


  28. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by User Name: View Post
    I ragged on thereter because he's got nearly 2,000 posts, over half of them are downright dismissive of anything anyone outside of this gang of 6 or so that dominates the forum and so I just included that rib against him, seemed pretty effective as this is the one thread he doesn't have over a dozen posts in...

    had you read the thread instead of making asinine assumptions you'd see that thereter hadn't posted, but i feel that may be asking too much because you've already make up your mind to disagree or insult me before you ever read anything i wrote

    the truth of it is none of you guys have the wit to stand up for yourselves individually and you just rely on backing each other, repeating assumptions and calling them fact and just making yourselves look like complete idiots, your whole basis is that if the six or so of us just agree with each other all the time then everyone else looks wrong, you all look like a bunch of midgets standing on each other's shoulders to make 1 tall person, when in fact it's simply a circus act

    i get the feeling you all act as forum bullies to make up for deficiencies in real life

    i'm new to the game and enjoy it very much and simply wanted to gauge the accuracy of my assumption with those who obviously play it a lot and are quite knowledgeable, however, instead of eliciting responses about gold, i got nothing but negative criticism, it's been like this in every other situation in which I've posted as well, it hasn't been one but several of you in concert just rag on me and others rather than contributing to the thread, if you didn't like that I posted a survey on gold, then don't respond, that is something for the moderator to deal with

    All I'm asking is for you guys to grow up a little, start respecting others and try to exist a little as people, rather than just the alter egos of your inner travian circle, i have a strong feeling if I ran into you in your mother's basement you'd probably treat me with actual respect
    Take your own advice about assumptions before pushing them on us.

    Thats not fair, I am diagnosed with ADHD and dont appreciate people assuming that all people with any kind of neurological abnormality is automatically a bully or a ******.

    It has been scientifically proven that people are more blunt in their communication on the internet because it is less personal than speaking face to face. We would probably get along fine in RL, but get used to the fact that people are going to be brutally and sometimes painfully honest and critical on these forums. Dont like it? Leave.

    P.S. I play this on the kitchen table, not in the basement. (horrible internet connection in the basement.) Why would you be in my mom's basement anyway?
    Sign up with this link so I can afford gas for my crappy old car. http://www.travian.us/?uc=us4_4738
    Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    word to your moms, r-b came to drop bombs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    I'll do it for money.

  29. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by User Name: View Post
    I ragged on thereter because he's got nearly 2,000 posts, over half of them are downright dismissive of anything anyone outside of this gang of 6 or so that dominates the forum and so I just included that rib against him, seemed pretty effective as this is the one thread he doesn't have over a dozen posts in...

    Feeling left out?

    had you read the thread instead of making asinine assumptions you'd see that thereter hadn't posted, but i feel that may be asking too much because you've already make up your mind to disagree or insult me before you ever read anything i wrote

    the truth of it is none of you guys have the wit to stand up for yourselves individually and you just rely on backing each other, repeating assumptions and calling them fact and just making yourselves look like complete idiots, your whole basis is that if the six or so of us just agree with each other all the time then everyone else looks wrong, you all look like a bunch of midgets standing on each other's shoulders to make 1 tall person, when in fact it's simply a circus act

    Perhaps we have the wit but choose to use it only on those who are deserving of it.

    i get the feeling you all act as forum bullies to make up for deficiencies in real life

    And I get the feeling you try to lord your supposed superiority over pixels on the screen to compensate for something yourself, buddy boy.

    i'm new to the game and enjoy it very much and simply wanted to gauge the accuracy of my assumption with those who obviously play it a lot and are quite knowledgeable, however, instead of eliciting responses about gold, i got nothing but negative criticism, it's been like this in every other situation in which I've posted as well, it hasn't been one but several of you in concert just rag on me and others rather than contributing to the thread, if you didn't like that I posted a survey on gold, then don't respond, that is something for the moderator to deal with

    If you don't like the responses your posts elicit then stop posting - and the moderator has nothing to do with it.

    All I'm asking is for you guys to grow up a little, start respecting others and try to exist a little as people, rather than just the alter egos of your inner travian circle, i have a strong feeling if I ran into you in your mother's basement you'd probably treat me with actual respect
    Grow up, little boy. Stop sniveling, man up, and just play the game. If you can't take verbal sparring then I'm really curious as to how you respond in game when somebody brings it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MokMonster View Post
    This is how travian (and life, for that matter) is. If you don't like it, find a game that has no random elements.
    S4R1 ~ SE Jade
    S3R2 ~ QoD
    S2R3 ~ [FU]
    S3R3 ~ SI
    S3R4 ~ TD

  30. #30

    Default

    To suggest that raiders don't use or build fields and that simmers don't attack or defend is ignorant.
    I would have went in to more detail here but my post was running long. I wasn't suggesting either, just that the resource bonus tends to help those who focus on fields more.

    In the end (Raider or Simmer) you end up building your fields up.

    Overall my opinion still is that most of the gold benefits can be overcome with activity and skill.

    Insta-build is really the one area of gold that tips the scale and makes gold use unfair.

    There is no comparison between someone waiting 20 hours for a lvl 14 wheat field without gold and someone gold spamming it into completion instantly.

    I have done just as well on servers without gold as I have with gold it just took a great deal more time and effort to do so.

    You can use gold, still suck and still fall behind. It's the same as any other tool in Travian, if you know how to use it effectively it's an advantage. If you have no clue how best to use it, it's not really so much of an advantage.

    I have actually had accounts harmed by gold use because I didn't know what I was doing.


    Gold spammed mad buildings up all of lower levels that I didn't need, Gold spammed troops, lost them and gold spammed more troops and lost them.


    Was npc'ing at whim with no plan and burning through gold needlessly.

    It's really about knowing how and when to use it, in my opinion. That decides if it gives an advantage or not.
    US 3 (Pumkin ) Ready for another round of Sunshine, lollipops and pie, Oh and Cake too!!!

  31. #31

    Default

    Tourney Square insta build is one of the most wonderful things in the world.

  32. #32

    Default

    I don't know what the fuss is all about. This was an interesting read, with some great insights from good players. You just have to not read the the comments from the children that like to correct others post, or feel they have the right to decide what is allowed to be posted on the forums. This forum is for all Travian players. Not just a few. You others have no right to tell anyone to leave.

  33. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by User Name: View Post
    I ragged on thereter because he's got nearly 2,000 posts, over half of them are downright dismissive of anything anyone outside of this gang of 6 or so that dominates the forum and so I just included that rib against him, seemed pretty effective as this is the one thread he doesn't have over a dozen posts in...

    had you read the thread instead of making asinine assumptions you'd see that thereter hadn't posted, but i feel that may be asking too much because you've already make up your mind to disagree or insult me before you ever read anything i wrote

    the truth of it is none of you guys have the wit to stand up for yourselves individually and you just rely on backing each other, repeating assumptions and calling them fact and just making yourselves look like complete idiots, your whole basis is that if the six or so of us just agree with each other all the time then everyone else looks wrong, you all look like a bunch of midgets standing on each other's shoulders to make 1 tall person, when in fact it's simply a circus act

    i get the feeling you all act as forum bullies to make up for deficiencies in real life

    i'm new to the game and enjoy it very much and simply wanted to gauge the accuracy of my assumption with those who obviously play it a lot and are quite knowledgeable, however, instead of eliciting responses about gold, i got nothing but negative criticism, it's been like this in every other situation in which I've posted as well, it hasn't been one but several of you in concert just rag on me and others rather than contributing to the thread, if you didn't like that I posted a survey on gold, then don't respond, that is something for the moderator to deal with

    All I'm asking is for you guys to grow up a little, start respecting others and try to exist a little as people, rather than just the alter egos of your inner travian circle, i have a strong feeling if I ran into you in your mother's basement you'd probably treat me with actual respect

    You're asking the people, whose lives revolve around non-animated pixels, to act like adults. While legitimate, not so realistic.
    Last edited by Shack Man; 03-28-2009 at 02:19 AM.

  34. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I don't know what the fuss is all about. This was an interesting read, with some great insights from good players. You just have to not read the the comments from the children that like to correct others post, or feel they have the right to decide what is allowed to be posted on the forums. This forum is for all Travian players. Not just a few. You others have no right to tell anyone to leave.
    they can post if they want, but there are different sections for certain kinds of posts. If you arent gonna listen to why we are bashing the thread and just assume we are trying to chase people away from the forums, then you fail at reading and have lost the right to speak credibly.
    Sign up with this link so I can afford gas for my crappy old car. http://www.travian.us/?uc=us4_4738
    Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    word to your moms, r-b came to drop bombs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    I'll do it for money.

  35. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritterbruder View Post
    and have lost the right to speak credibly.

    Said the guy who won't post his IGN.
    Quote Originally Posted by s3- Lazzerious
    because you know CD will crush you.

  36. #36
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    20,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Euphimism View Post
    Said the guy who won't post his IGN.
    Said the guy who said that.

  37. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Euphimism View Post
    Said the guy who won't post his IGN.
    Why should I post my IGN? Are you gonna cat me for speaking freely, oh "Juicy Wannabe?"
    Sign up with this link so I can afford gas for my crappy old car. http://www.travian.us/?uc=us4_4738
    Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    word to your moms, r-b came to drop bombs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    I'll do it for money.

  38. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ritterbruder View Post
    Why should I post my IGN? Are you gonna cat me for speaking freely, oh "Juicy Wannabe?"
    Have I ever threatened you? Have you ever seen me threaten to attack anyone on the message boards or by IGM? Have you ever seen me attack anyone for anything other than strategic reasons?

    Man I hope you never turn your back on someone you're talking to because they're going to see that big 'ol yellow streak running down your back. I'd retort with calling you a "Coward Wannabe" but we obviously know you have it mastered.


    A person who anonymously tells someone they have no credibility is simply being a hypocrite. I mean how can we give you any credit when we don't even know who you are? 95% of your posts are "you fail", "noob", and "I wanna kiss yer butt" posts anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by s3- Lazzerious
    because you know CD will crush you.

  39. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shack Man View Post
    You're asking the people, whose lives revolve around non-animated pixels, to act like adults. While legitimate, not so realistic.
    Said the guy cruising the forums of an online game on Friday night
    s3 nanotyranus TUS-D
    s8 eagle creek Bomb Squad


    Quote Originally Posted by PaulisKhan View Post
    (please excuse my pointless trash talk-it serves no purpose other than to make me feel better about myself)
    When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight-1800-HOOYAH

  40. #40

    Default

    I don't mind buying gold. Travian is a great gaming experience that's otherwise totally free. I consider it just like the Paypal donations I would give to any site whose bandwidth I was hogging on a regular basis, except this "donation" gives me some great features as a reward. I don't know if the servers, staff, and gameplay would be as excellent as they are without the revenue from gold sales.

    Sorry for addressing the topic of the post and not contributing to the argument... I know, I suck.
    s3r2 - jezabel (Mostly Co.)
    s3r3 - =DIV/0!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •