Thread: Capturing Oases??

Exclamation Capturing Oases??

I feel like a noob, but I've been sending my hero at an oasis for about 3 days now, and he hasn't captured it. My hero's Mansion is level 10, I have captured no other oases, and my hero has eliminated the animal defenders multiple times!

I am playing on the us4 server, which is the new travian 4. Did they change the way you capture oases??

Philosopher

Is it in the 7x7 around the village you are capturing from? The new map is slightly misleading, being 9x7, so just because It's in your map doesn't mean you can capture it.
    Dethy record:
    As mafia:4-3
    As detective: 14-3
    Overall:18-6

Ah there's the problem. So you can only capture oases in your 7x7? That seems dumb..

Philosopher

Only being allowed to capture oases in your 7x7 balances the game by not allowing for ridiculous production from capitals (Every capital would potentially get a 150% bonus) and also servers to make the good croppers (125%-150%) really valuable real estate.
    Dethy record:
    As mafia:4-3
    As detective: 14-3
    Overall:18-6

When you go into your Hero Mansion, do you see the oasis you're trying to capture in the list:
    "Other oasis within reach of <your village name>" ?

It should look like this:

Code:
    Type 		Owner 		Village 	Coordinates 	Resources
    Hill 		someone 	some town 	(xx+1|yy+1)‎ 	Clay +25%
    Mountain 	- 		- 		(xx-2|yy+2)‎ 	Iron +25%
    Forest		- 		- 		(xx+3|yy+1)‎ 	Wood +25%
    Lake		- 		- 		(xx+1|yy-3)‎ 	Wheat +50%
    *note that xx|yy are your coordinates, and neither can ever be more than +/-3

In the above example, the first one is already owned by someone (but w/in your reach if you wanted to try to steal it), and the second remaining unclaimed.

If you do not see the oasis you're trying to capture, then it is too far away.
    If you can't see the oasis w/in 3 tiles (diagonal counts) of your town on the map, you can't capture it.
    MokMonster does not support, condone or agree with anything written in this post.
    Any suggestions to the contrary are purely unintentional.
    (Unless you agreed with it -- then I totally said it)

I suppose. But you'd think they could still make the area of conquest a bit bigger. Because I have no oases in range of my spawn village and in my opinion that's not really fair. I've seen players with 5 crop oases alone in range of their spawn, yet some players like me, get spawned with no oases nearby, or maybe one or two that aren't at all what we are looking for.

Something like an area of conquest that was maybe 1-4 squares bigger would help eliminate advantages for certain people. I know that sounds whiny but in some ways it makes sense. If you get a group of people that realize they have an advantage and know how to use it, it makes the game difficult for those who are spawned at a disadvantage.

This problem can be easily fixed by settling near an oasis you want, but even then it doesn't mean you'll get it. Some people to this would say "OH just settle out in the boonies." Good idea, but less action for your hero and/or troops. Any way you slice it you're not gonna get the optimal setup, unless you're spawned that way. Which stinks, but that's how it goes i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by MokMonster View Post
    When you go into your Hero Mansion, do you see the oasis you're trying to capture in the list:
    "Other oasis within reach of <your village name>" ?
    I do see that now, but i thought it was just a suggestion. Well that's lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolgool View Post
    I've seen players with 5 crop oases alone in range of their spawn, yet some players like me, get spawned with no oases nearby, or maybe one or two that aren't at all what we are looking for.
    The odds of 0 oases is fairly slim.
    And most spawns don't bother with conquering an oasis, anyway. It isn't worthwhile to do before you settle your 2nd village... and once you have #2 you have either moved away to an area of your choosing (hopefully with helpful oases, since you chose it), or you have chosen to stay where you are... knowing about the poor oasis choice(s) in the area.

Something like an area of conquest that was maybe 1-4 squares bigger would help eliminate advantages for certain people.
    4 squares bigger? That's a huge area... and you'll still have complaints.
    "Why does that guy's spawn have two 50% oases and my area has none?"
    B/c the map is random, that's why!

If you get a group of people that realize they have an advantage and know how to use it, it makes the game difficult for those who are spawned at a disadvantage.
    Nah... once you know how to use the oasis, you'll find that it rarely makes sense for a spawn.

This problem can be easily fixed by settling near an oasis you want, but even then it doesn't mean you'll get it.
    Build a bigger army then.
    It's a war game. Like any war, it often boils down to resources. If you can't get he oil resources, take it from someone who has it.

Any way you slice it you're not gonna get the optimal setup, unless you're spawned that way.
    Not even remotely true.
    I settled my cap ~15hrs away by settler from my spawn. It was a 5+ hr journey for my hero. I went that far to find an "optimal" setup.
    While it is possible to spawn right next to a perfect cropper, it is highly unlikely... and even landing there doesn't mean someone faster/better/more aggressive doesn't take it before you can get it anyway.

This is how travian (and life, for that matter) is. If you don't like it, find a game that has no random elements.
    MokMonster does not support, condone or agree with anything written in this post.

I know this game has a random quality to it, but i still get agitated when i have no oases near my spawn. Which has happened to me twice now. My second and third villages have oases nearby, but just barely.

On top of that my area has few players, few croppers, and fewer allies... making it nice if you want to be left alone, but also not so hot if you're looking for help, or to win.

I know this game has a random quality to it, but i still get agitated when i have no oases near my spawn. Which has happened to me twice now. My second and third villages have oases nearby, but just barely.

On top of that my area has few players, few croppers, and fewer allies... making it nice if you want to be left alone, but also not so hot if you're looking for help, or to win.
    You know you can settle your 2nd ect villages anywhere....

If there are not people near you you started the server to late.
    http://imageshack.us/a/img690/5194/m...crewmember.jpg
    s7 r1 - Quinnito/KWC (Gemini) s7 r2 - Kazumodo (frenchmaids) s7 r3 Smokey
    s1 r3 - Nemain (DSP)
    s5x - Pootang (DB!)

...but i still get agitated when i have no oases near my spawn. Which has happened to me twice now.
    That's bad luck.

My second and third villages have oases nearby, but just barely.
    That's your own fault.
    Location, location, location -- true in Travian as in RL.

Few croppers happens pretty much everywhere -- they're random... and that's the #1 reason folks move away from their spawn for their second village. I've only ever had a good cropper near my spawn once, and the odds are against it happening very often.
    As for few players, that means less competition for the oases and croppers nearby, you should be happy.
    And if there is no competition nearby, you shouldn't need any help...

Also, winning has little to do with where your cluster is and a lot more with how you build your account and interact with the others around you.
    Act like a n00b and you find yourself in a lousy alliance with little chance of being more than farms.
    Act like a pro and you have a good shot at getting into a decent alliance and being a part of end game.