Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghost Hammer Guide

Default Ghost Hammer Guide

Hopefully this will answer any questions about TT hammers. A ghost hammer is generally for skilled players. Not every "up and learning player" can wield one efficiently, they can, but the results are sometimes ugly, if done improperly. This is mostly a strategy guide, as training a hammer is not unknown to the world.

Concept: A hammer of TTs with a TT hero. Lightning fast. Catapults, rams, chiefs, etc. not allowed. The point is to hit them so fast, they can't reinforce in time from many other villages. The goal is to hit a few hundred defensive troops out randomly or to hit a hammer at home.

Location: You can train a ghost hammer in just about any type of village, it really depends on your preferences, and use of hammer. I think the new 7cropper would be an excellent choice, combining extra wheat with the unexpectedness of a non-cropper. A 6wheat would be nice for a very small ghost hammer, aimed at smaller players. If your looking to make a large ghost hammer, then a cropper is needed.

Expendable: A ghost hammer is expendable. They are quickly built and cheap. Don't hesitate to use it often, just don't kill your hero.

Number: A single ghost hammer is okay. Two ghost hammers is great. Three ghost hammers? SCARY. If you can support two or even three ghost hammers, I highly recommend doing so. Since they are hammers made up of THE most efficient raiders in the game (don't throw stats at me, If you disagree, PM and Ill prove it), they can easily be self sustaining. A ghost hammer(when not being used primarily, but raiding) can support itself 24/7 in lvl 20 stable after it reaches a certain size, so in theory, you can have multiple ghost hammers with no loss to your main hammer(s). If you can't do this, then I suggest you get a gaul friend or two and agree to all do it..or nobody do it. No going at this half cocked, or failure is sure to greet you. I will explain later on why more than one is better and needed.

Targets: The targets you hit with a Ghost hammer vary greatly from what you want to hit with a normal hammer. You want to hit villages that wont have many defenses. A TT hammer is extremely weak compared to a normal hammer. It is meant to take out pockets of defensive troops, not anvils. Target random villages you suspect to have defensive troops. Attacking clusters is risky, and can turn out bad. Figure up the time it would take that player to reinforce that village, and see if you can beat it. The less villages can reinforce there in time, the better. And the less infantry defenses that can get there, the better. Spears, legos, and phalanx can be mass produced and can really tear up TTs. Cavalry defense on the other hand is more expensive, takes longer, and has way lower overall numbers. Your better off facing only cavalry defenders.

Fakes: It is generally a good idea to send a 1 TT fake to other villages from that player, and to villages that are owned by his allies in the area. Time them to land at close to the same second, or as close as you can get. This reduces the chances of the person finding out which attacks are fake and dodging the real attack. Also, sending fakes from other villages to targets can add another factor in their decision on defending. Esp if fakes come from a hammer and/or mini-hammer villages. Whatever you do, do not put anything but TTs in the attack. This will take the whole element of surprise out, and you will meet with heavy defense.

NOTE: The following two topic are not to be confused with the previous topic. The following two are what to do when the GH is used in conjunction with a real hammer(s).

Knowing your enemy:Knowing your enemy is essential to defeating your enemy. Blacksmiths know armor. Gunsmiths know body armor. Anvil makers know hammers, and hammers know anvils. If you don't know your enemy, then you will fail. I can't spell out every nuance of defense, but I will outline what is essential to the next portion. There are two kinds of defense. Sniping and hammer breaking. A ghost hammer can do nothing about sniping, but can seriously weaken a stacked defense. Reinforcements can arrive hours before attacks land..esp if the attacks land at an early(or noon) morning hour(meaning reins would need to be sent in the middle of the night to arrive right before or to snipe attacks). People who can't send at the late hour will send their troops early, and send wheat. But any who can send at the late hour will. Mid distance reins are usually the ones sent to arrive early, as far reins can be sent during the day, and close reins can be sent in the morning. This creates a moment of stacked defense, but not a full anvil. This is what the Ghost hammer is made to do.

Advanced use: [cont. from above] You will want to hit the enemy target when they are in this time of weakened defense. If done incorrectly, you will lose your ghost hammer AND your hammer in one bad day. If you don't do this right, you give away the village being hit, and all forces will be stacked there. This is where multiple Ghost hammers(mentioned above) come in handy. This way you can attack multiple of the targeted villages at once, and not give away the real target(s). You will need to send your hammer in a specific time slot. Sending it to early or to late is death. Too early, and you lose the element of surprise. Too late, and you hit too many reins. Try to send it at a time where it will be on the road the longest without being noticed, and the least con be done about it. You can incredibly weaken an alliances overall defense. Granted this is a good way to lose all of your Ghost hammers, this is what they are intended to do. You will severely weaken an alliance's defenses in one blow. This is extremely useful in alliance war. Overall, you lose your ghost hammer, huge raiding potential, and alot of time. None of this matters. If you save 20 or 30% of your hammer, or even just get the cats and/or chiefs through, youve done what you intended to do. Remember, expendable. Ghost hammers are self sustaining and building, and dont tax your account to much. If you lose them, its extremely preferable to losing a hammer, or even part of it.

Blacksmith: By the time you start working on a Ghost hammer, you should be able to train TT's nearly, if not, 24/7. If that is the case, then upgrade in your blacksmith as often as you can, the only thing going against you is time. If you can't support training 24/7, then here is the most efficient time to upgrade:
    Level...new attack value...Number of troops trained before upgrade
    3......93.7...... 368
    4......95.0...... 465
    5......96.2...... 560
    6......97.5...... 652
    7......98.8...... 742
    8.....100.1...... 831
    9.....101.4...... 918
    10....102.7...... 1005
    11....104.0...... 1091
    12....105.3...... 1177
    13....106.7...... 1262
    14....108.0...... 1346
    15....109.4...... 1430
    16....110.7...... 1515
    17....112.1...... 1598
    18....113.5...... 1683
    19....114.9...... 1766
    20....116.3...... 1849

When you reach the number of troops in the third column, it becomes more cost and time efficient to upgrade than train troops. After you start the upgrade, continue training until you reach the next number. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Trailing a hammer home: A good use for a Ghost hammer is to trail another hammer home. If a village is cleared that you own, or a friend owns, and the hammer survives, than a Ghost hammer is an excellent option to take out that hammer at home. Best if over 30 fields away, and tourney kicks in. The longer the hammer sender goes without seeing a counter attack coming in, the more likely he is to send reins(waiting for the counter) back home. A Ghost can be sent so late, that he wont be expecting it at all. Time it just right, and you can hit his hammer at home just a second after it arrives. Use a traveltime calculator to see when the attackers hammer will return home, then send your Ghost to hit at that village at roughly the second after it returns home.

When NOT to trail a hammer home:
    Trailing home gaul hammers is not the best idea, especially if it has alot of haeds. That in conjunction with the fact that gauls like to cluster up a little, means that phalanx and other haeds will never be far off. They will eat your TTs up. The best way to take out any gaul defenses is with a real hammer. Simple as that. They are just to strong defenders.

When to attack: Since TT hammers are not meant to take out massive defenses, they are usually used to soften up players against a real hammer attack. If you hit a couple players in an area around your intended target, you can significantly weaken their defenses in that area, and your hammer will be more likely to break through defenses, and your cats/chiefs can go to work. I find that the best time to attack with a TT hammer is to send it in the middle of the night. Usually you try to get it to land early morning, so reins have to be sent in the middle of the night, but that's when your giving plenty of notice. With a TT hammer, you want then to have as little time to respond as possible. So even if the player you attack is online that late, not all of his friends in the immediate area will be.

Tournament Square: Vital to any hammer, makes a ghost hammer. TTs are the fastest units in the game. Faster than most scouts. At 19 fields per hour, you wont be giving your enemy nearly as much time as compared to 7 field Imperians and such. When you pull catapults and chiefs out...I don't even wanna go there. With a tourney square, they get so fast, it is ridiculous. At 57 fields per hour, your enemy wont have time to get any defenses there.

If there's anything I missed, please let me know and ill edit it in.
    Last edited by -I-Ember-I-x; 09-29-2009 at 04:39 AM. Reason: New fake guide & typo
    Quote Originally Posted by myrcat View Post
    I however like to give more pleasant attention to my chest.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfuaso View Post
    I'm farmin your quad.

Artifacts. The speed boost ones make a Teut ghost hammer possible, and a Gaul ghost hammer insanely scary.

If you are reading this you are a stalker.

Add that this could be a EI or TK hammer
    US2: Ritter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost In Confusion 3 View Post
    Don't get me started on the smell of your bodily functions.
    http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/r...nbnfntxs-1.png

Quote Originally Posted by -__- View Post
    Add that this could be a EI or TK hammer
    Without an artifact speed boost TK ghost hammers are impossible, and EI ones... well, they just don't have the speed of TTs either.

If you are reading this you are a stalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichts View Post
    Without an artifact speed boost TK ghost hammers are impossible, and EI ones... well, they just don't have the speed of TTs either.
    i mean if you are not a gaul then you can use them.
    US2: Ritter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost In Confusion 3 View Post
    Don't get me started on the smell of your bodily functions.
    http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/r...nbnfntxs-1.png

Quote Originally Posted by -__- View Post
    i mean if you are not a gaul then you can use them.
    No, you can't, because they don't exist. Without an artifact, a ghost hammer is only a TT hammer as described above - no other unit has the speed to get to a destination fast enough.

Thanks. Anything besides the artifacts I missed or points that arent clear?
    I'm farmin your quad.

Banned.

Artifact speed boost??

I know what the Tourney Square is all about but I have never heard of the Artifact Speed boost.
    Same thing or what?

Not trying to be funny, just trying to learn, lol

Artifacts are hard to come by, everyone can get a tourney square. An artifact increases the speed of units by a certain percentage. Heres a link about them.http://help.travian.us/index.php?type=faq&mod=508
    I'm farmin your quad.

Does the tournament square stack with the speed artifact? If so that means TT's can travel 171 fields per hour (assuming you have the unique artifact and a level 20 tournament square) and can travel 30 squares in just under 11 minutes. Now that's a scary ghost hammer.

Banned.

Quote Originally Posted by -I-Ember-I-x View Post
    Artifacts are hard to come by, everyone can get a tourney square. An artifact increases the speed of units by a certain percentage. Heres a link about them.http://help.travian.us/index.php?type=faq&mod=508

Oh wow. I didnt know about them.
    Thank you for the info.

An excellent guide. I may attempt Gauls next round. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll&Hyde View Post
    An excellent guide. I may attempt Gauls next round. =)
    This makes me want to be a gaul too :O

Tradesperson

So why is it called a 'Ghost' hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by Zerth View Post
    So why is it called a 'Ghost' hammer?
    Because you can attack someone so fast, that if they dont have a dual, you can send the attack and it will hit before they ever see it coming. Almost as if they got hit out of nowhere , "like a ghost hit them".
    I'm farmin your quad.

Tradesperson

Ah, i figured it was either that, or in reference to the fact that it was a hammer of dead men, based on how frequently you'd be replacing them.

Quote Originally Posted by ONeilcool View Post
    Does the tournament square stack with the speed artifact? If so that means TT's can travel 171 fields per hour (assuming you have the unique artifact and a level 20 tournament square) and can travel 30 squares in just under 11 minutes. Now that's a scary ghost hammer.
    This is something that I'm not sure on. I would assume that it doesn't until proven otherwise, as it will get you the slower of the two speeds. But yes, the artifacts have made even normal speed TTs oh so very, very fast.

True, you would have to constantly replace TTs, but thats the great thing. They are cheap, train quickly, and can raid so efficiently, they easily pay for themselves and then some. It is an extremely efficient hammer. And your targets (except for enemy hammers) should not leave you with too many losses.
    I'm farmin your quad.

Tradesperson

So with said artifact, a Roman could create an EI Ghost hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by Zerth View Post
    So with said artifact, a Roman could create an EI Ghost hammer?
    Yep. Even Teuts should be able to create a cavalry hammer able to travel faster than the traditional non-artifact boosted TT ghost hammer.

I edited in a new section, tell me what you think.
    I'm farmin your quad.

Great guide, I had never heard of a ghost hammer before, It's like they don't even exist.
    Travian won't force you to do crap? Tell that to my 4:00 AM incoming attacks, and the constant 24/7 coverage needed for a speed account. Throw a party. Send a raid. Build a field. Blah, blah, blah. Compared to that, my fiancee lets me off easy. All I need to do is click on links to real estate that we can never afford, or look at a dozen new duvet covers, or decide which cake topper I like the best on Ebay. And for these simple, inane tasks, I'm rewarded with sex. Travian never puts out for me. The best that Travian has ever given me is a #1 defender medal and a #1 attacker medal. No thanks. I'll take the real estate and steady nookie.

-Rhyme-

I think it's cool!!!

It's the first guide on Ghost Hammers I've seen, and i'm registered on 3 more travian forums. Nice!

Anyways, theoretically...what speed would a TT have with the Unique account troop speed artefact, in combination with a Tourney Square lv20 and a speed server?

Well...It seems that they would go 342 fields per hour after they passed 30 fields...but that just seems too incredible to be true. It would be impossible to defend at all. Anyone in the server is a target in a just a few hours time. And anyone in the same quad...nasty surprise.
    I'm farmin your quad.

Nice little guide, simple and straightforward. I like it.

I do have two problems with it though. First one is this:

Concept: A hammer of TTs with a TT hero. Lightning fast. Catapults, rams, chiefs, etc. not allowed. The point is to hit them so fast, they can reinforce in time from many other villages. The goal is to hit a few hundred defensive troops out randomly or to hit a hammer at home.
    Just a typo but it changes the whole meaning. I am guessing this should say "The point is to hit them so fast they can't reinforce in time..."

My other problem is now I don't feel so cool about mine now that there is a guide about it lol. Oh well, better not to deceive myself that I am in any way elite. Good job on the guide though, really.

Edit: Just looked at this,

Well...It seems that they would go 342 fields per hour after they passed 30 fields...but that just seems too incredible to be true. It would be impossible to defend at all. Anyone in the server is a target in a just a few hours time. And anyone in the same quad...nasty surprise.
    I don't want to check the math so I won't, but even without an artifact but with a level 20 TS on speed I can get pretty much anywhere on the map in 5 hours or less. I mostly use it within my quad and the next closest quad, as those are top times of about 2 hours usually.
    Last edited by secretlydeadly; 08-18-2009 at 07:21 PM.
    This is here because I can't remember how to lower my text.
    Weird I know, but then again I am weird sometimes,
    so maybe it fits after all.

There are not many things more completely pointless than internet drama.

would it be good to build the stable in a 4-4-4-6 and store the TT's in a 9c?
    If ever you want to play, please help me out; just click here

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/z...g?t=1254604617
    Victory Through Harmony
    Sig thanks to Jeager

Okay, I did a little math.

A TT travels at 38 fields per hour on speed. With maxxed tourney square AND titan's boot, a TT goes 6 times as fast. That's 240 fields an hour. If a Gaul were located in the center of the map, they could hit anything within 2 hours. Imagine a 200K ghost hammer. No one could stop it. A Gaul would be able to simply fly around, knocking out pockets of defense. Scary.

Ill fix the type, thanks. Personally, I think that any village would be good to train it from. It depends on what kind of player you are. If you can support it, I think creating a TT hammer in something BESIDES a cropper would be best. That way you have the element of surprise. Someone sees an incoming attack from a 6c or 7c (pref 6) and they can expect it to be at most a medium sized mini hammer. It would be easier to host one in a cropper though, as you would have to constantly ship wheat from a cropper.
    You would not want to store the troops in a cropper. TTs are the best raiders in the game. They will be a major source of income if used to raid. Dont let them lay around. Esp when they have a good level TC to back them, they can really get around.

Also, does the TC not change the base speed of the troop type? Making the artifact 3x of the 3x from TC. Meaning a 9x multiplier?

I plan to put a new section in the guide.
    Last edited by -I-Ember-I-x; 08-19-2009 at 05:26 AM.
    I'm farmin your quad.

you really need to add in a psychology section(almost no guide about travian is complete without one).

it is of critical importance to keep your opponent guessing when and where you will hit(its a GHOST hammer - he CAN NOT see it coming, otherwise, the 'ghost' namesake is just going to refer to what you have left of the hammer). you have next to no attack power in your ghost hammer(compared to a normal hammer), therefore it is of CRITICAL importance that you maximize your actual advantages: speed and fear.

you've covered the speed factor(chasing hammers home - and also when not to) quite extensively, but you should have also mentioned that a ghost offense STILL needs fakes, especially when you're trying to catch a dodger. a good tip is if your target already knows you have a ghost hammer, you should send out fakes of both infantry and TTs. following through, you should include a infantry to make your real attack look like a fake. following along the same line of thought, you can also send your real hit as a raid, just to throw him off some more.

theres alot more material to cover, i'm just too damn lazy for it atm.

but overall, quite a good guide

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix 3.0 View Post
    you really need to add in a psychology section(almost no guide about travian is complete without one).

it is of critical importance to keep your opponent guessing when and where you will hit(its a GHOST hammer - he CAN NOT see it coming, otherwise, the 'ghost' namesake is just going to refer to what you have left of the hammer). you have next to no attack power in your ghost hammer(compared to a normal hammer), therefore it is of CRITICAL importance that you maximize your actual advantages: speed and fear.

you've covered the speed factor(chasing hammers home - and also when not to) quite extensively, but you should have also mentioned that a ghost offense STILL needs fakes, especially when you're trying to catch a dodger. a good tip is if your target already knows you have a ghost hammer, you should send out fakes of both infantry and TTs. following through, you should include a infantry to make your real attack look like a fake. following along the same line of thought, you can also send your real hit as a raid, just to throw him off some more.

theres alot more material to cover, i'm just too damn lazy for it atm.

but overall, quite a good guide
    Thank you. And it just so happens that Im half way through writing exactly what you want. As im adding new material, the more it seems I need to cover. I realized im nowhere near done. Ill keep adding it as it comes.
    Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming.
    Last edited by -I-Ember-I-x; 08-19-2009 at 07:31 AM.
    I'm farmin your quad.

A TT travels at 38 fields per hour on speed. With maxxed tourney square AND titan's boot, a TT goes 6 times as fast. That's 240 fields an hour. If a Gaul were located in the center of the map, they could hit anything within 2 hours. Imagine a 200K ghost hammer. No one could stop it. A Gaul would be able to simply fly around, knocking out pockets of defense. Scary.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it makes no difference where they are located. Due to the fact that all edges meet (travian world is a torus) wherever the gaul is, they can hit any square in 2 hours or less.
    Juicy James's Trapper FAQ
    s2: Candy Robbers. [Storm: Stupid-Thick-Opinionated-Rollicking-Monkeys]
    In Ritter we trust.

I edited in a good amount. Im not done yet, but I wanted to go ahead and post(plus I ran out of space and need to compact some). Tell me what you think.

Ive heard this before, but I honestly dont see how it works. Looking on a world map of travian just makes it into a ball. points meet at 0,0, and at the 400, 400 mark. That makes it a ball, doesnt it? Ive seen ball shaped maps of travian..but no actual torus shaped maps.
    Last edited by -I-Ember-I-x; 08-19-2009 at 09:42 AM.
    I'm farmin your quad.

I edited in a good amount. Im not done yet, but I wanted to go ahead and post(plus I ran out of space and need to compact some). Tell me what you think.

Ive heard this before, but I honestly dont see how it works. Looking on a world map of travian just makes it into a ball. points meet at 0,0, and at the 400, 400 mark. That makes it a ball, doesnt it? Ive seen ball shaped maps of travian..but no actual torus shaped maps.
    Imagine the travian world as flat, 0|0 would be in the center and all along the 4 edges are the 400 and -400 extremes. Since 400 East and -400 West are attached along their entire length you'd need to make it into a cylinder for it to work. Now 400 North and -400 South also have to meet for their entire length so you need to bend the cylinder into a ring shape so they touch too and presto you have a donut (which nerds call a torus).
    If you are reading this my post is already over, move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod_Crane View Post
    Imagine the travian world as flat, 0|0 would be in the center and all along the 4 edges are the 400 and -400 extremes. Since 400 East and -400 West are attached along their entire length you'd need to make it into a cylinder for it to work. Now 400 North and -400 South also have to meet for their entire length so you need to bend the cylinder into a ring shape so they touch too and presto you have a donut (which nerds call a torus).
    After I posted last night, I spent a while visualizing the concept, and I got that much. What I dont understand is what makes this a torus and not a ball? Imagine the grid that travian is. That goes from 0,0 to the point where the 400s meet. Now if you place 0,0 at a point on the ball, and have x&y axis go out from it, and draw a grid on the ball that meets at 400s on the opposite side...presto, you also have a map that appears the same as travian should to the common eye. (- touches + in all the right places)

Also, I dont understand the logistics of traveltime, and this is my real problem. I dont understand how traveltime would be calculated to work with what ive seen. I just did a calc, and for some reason, it takes a ceck of alot longer to go from (0|0) to (250|300) than it would take to go to (400|400). This is what really confuses me. Sorry to be so persistent, but I really need to understand. Im a science guy and I just can't wrap my head around this...and I dont like it when i dont understand something.
    I'm farmin your quad.

Ugh, irregardless of the shape of the Travian world...

Imagine that ghost hammer, running around like a crazy b****. Nothing within an hour of it would be able to defend. Scary thought is all.

Can we just say it's FLAT?

Philosopher

After I posted last night, I spent a while visualizing the concept, and I got that much. What I dont understand is what makes this a torus and not a ball? Imagine the grid that travian is. That goes from 0,0 to the point where the 400s meet. Now if you place 0,0 at a point on the ball, and have x&y axis go out from it, and draw a grid on the ball that meets at 400s on the opposite side...presto, you also have a map that appears the same as travian should to the common eye. (- touches + in all the right places)

Also, I dont understand the logistics of traveltime, and this is my real problem. I dont understand how traveltime would be calculated to work with what ive seen. I just did a calc, and for some reason, it takes a ceck of alot longer to go from (0|0) to (250|300) than it would take to go to (400|400). This is what really confuses me. Sorry to be so persistent, but I really need to understand. Im a science guy and I just can't wrap my head around this...and I dont like it when i dont understand something.
    Just for a visual:

I didn't make this btw.

(I posted it in the questions forums just a few weeks ago, I wonder if it will reel in as much rep as it did then )
    Dethy record:
    As mafia:4-3
    As detective: 14-3
    Overall:18-6

Thank you. If I could, Id rep you for that. sadly I get de-repped for every post under the sun cause it makes people smile. But thank you none the less.
    I'm farmin your quad.

Philosopher

Thank you. If I could, Id rep you for that. sadly I get de-repped for every post under the sun cause it makes people smile. But thank you none the less.
    That's alright, I'm surprised you haven't gotten more rep for this guide, it's a good one, and on a topic that hasn't been covered in other guides!
    Dethy record:
    As mafia:4-3
    As detective: 14-3
    Overall:18-6

It's so scary, I might cry in fear of my Paladins.
    +=Maceman
    I would not like to see that proscess.
    *throws up all over computer and computer screen because I couldn't help watch the video about it on youtube*

Well I cant really imagine it seeing as a 200k ghost hammer would take just under 7 months to train on regular server...
    I'm farmin your quad.