Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: School shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    What a silly analogy.
    Really, please point out why? Because they didn't kill each person individually with a blade, they don't count? To say they(blades) weren't directly a cause of the hijackings is absurd. Did they (the terrorists,) or did they not use box cutters to take over the planes? You two can stand there and claim the knives were of no consequence, but it only makes you sound silly to say it.
    Last edited by The Blazin1; 12-17-2012 at 03:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    Really, please point out why? Because they didn't kill each person individually with a blade, they don't count? To say they(blades) weren't directly a cause of the hijackings is absurd. Did they (the terrorists,) or did they not use box cutters to take over the planes? You two can stand there and claim the knives were of no consequence, but it only makes you sound silly to say it.
    If we're going to go down this line of reasoning, some 99% of nukes that have exploded haven't hurt anyone. Therefore, it's safe to say that nuclear weapons are an extremely inefficient weapon, and banning them/reducing stockpiles is a waste of time.

What percentage of guns in America have been used in a crime? What percentage of gun owners commit crimes with them? If guns are illegal will criminals just throw theirs out? I won't give mine up and I'm not a criminal, why should I have to? I will even honestly say I have more guns in my home then I have a use for, and some that I will never even use to their full capability unless something drastic happened. Even then, it would not be an unlawful use of the weapon. Why should I lose my rights for a low percentage of crazy people.
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

I love how many people feel the need to say "my deepest sympathies/heart/love/etc. goes out to them."

Yeah, that's cool. You know what? It's supposed to. You're supposed to feel sympathy. Saying it doesn't bring them back or help their families. Hope you all feel good about saying it. Stupids, the whole lot of you. Keep it in your pants.
    It's an expression of guilt. And for the record, it does help people feel better, maybe not much, but enough. It actually does better than shrugging a shoulder and completely ignoring it all. And it certainly makes people feel better than seeing someone like you making fun of people giving sympathy. Keep it in your pants.

And of course it won't bring back their families, nothing can. Thanks for stating the obvious.

Why should I lose my rights for a low percentage of crazy people.
    Why would you lose your rights? Please explain. Unless you mean your "right" to own an M-16 that is.

Why would you lose your rights? Please explain. Unless you mean your "right" to own an M-16 that is.
    I think Nichts created the other thread to avoid this argument in this one.
    "Semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit."

Consul

No rights are lost. It has always been a myth that citizens should have unfettered access to guns. It's certainly not what our Constitution says.

And the original purpose of our 2nd Ammendment was for defense of country, not of self/home.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellstorm21 View Post
    Meh I've lost interest in this conversation now. I just don't feel like arguing anymore.
    I understand the point you were trying to make and certainly agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Eb0l is the alpha and the omega
    The eternal pumpkin queen, and mother of gerbils
    So it was written and so it must forever be

Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    No rights are lost. It has always been a myth that citizens should have unfettered access to guns. It's certainly not what our Constitution says.

And the original purpose of our 2nd Ammendment was for defense of country, not of self/home.
    I disagree, we have the right to bear arms to protect our family, property, and livestock, as well as defense against an oppressive government. I also think that if I go through the proper channels, live according to the laws, get a proper license, I should be allowed fully automatic weapons. Do any of you know how hard it is to get a federal license to own machine guns? Not as easy as it is to get them illegally. The difference, the government knows I have it if I'm a law abiding citizen, it's less likely it will be used in a crime.

Consul

I disagree, we have the right to bear arms to protect our family, property, and livestock, as well as defense against an oppressive government. I also think that if I go through the proper channels, live according to the laws, get a proper license, I should be allowed fully automatic weapons. Do any of you know how hard it is to get a federal license to own machine guns? Not as easy as it is to get them illegally. The difference, the government knows I have it if I'm a law abiding citizen, it's less likely it will be used in a crime.
    Also posted in another thread, but I have been going through this link and can't help but feel that many folks have misconstrued the 2nd Ammendment over the years...

http://www.guncite.com/gc2ndmea.html

I understand what you are saying, and regardless of you calling me and my wife bad things in a fit of rage, I think you make a lot of valid points on different subjects. On this however, even if our founding fathers meant something other then what has been interpreted, I think it's in our best interest to have guns. I will just ask this. Seven adults were killed right, one would assume trying to save the children, what if they had access to a gun of their own? If they could have saved one child by being able to shoot the perp, not even preventing the entire tragedy, just saving one young innocent life, would it be worth it?

Not as easy as it is to get them illegally.
    Which is why an individual with significant mental problems was able to walk into a school with an assault rifle and kill 26 people.

I understand what you are saying, and regardless of you calling me and my wife bad things in a fit of rage, I think you make a lot of valid points on different subjects. On this however, even if our founding fathers meant something other then what has been interpreted, I think it's in our best interest to have guns. I will just ask this. Seven adults were killed right, one would assume trying to save the children, what if they had access to a gun of their own? If they could have saved one child by being able to shoot the perp, not even preventing the entire tragedy, just saving one young innocent life, would it be worth it?
    The amount of lives that would be saved would pale in comparison to the amount of additional lives that would be lost by having more weapons lying around. You don't save lives by introducing more ways to take them into the mix.
    Last edited by Nichts; 12-17-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Consul

I will just ask this. Seven adults were killed right, one would assume trying to save the children, what if they had access to a gun of their own?
    Then they likely would not have had it with them at school (illegal in most states).

Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1
    If they could have saved one child by being able to shoot the perp, not even preventing the entire tragedy, just saving one young innocent life, would it be worth it?
    Or they could have possibly shot another child in the crossfire (as was apparently the concern of an armed shopper at the mall in Oregon, who claims he had the shooter in his sites, but was concerned he might accidentally hit someone else).

Every time we have one of these shootings and someone claims that it could have been minimalized or prevented had someone else also been carrying a weapon, all I envision is a prolonged shootout and more bodies.
    Last edited by jdurand; 12-17-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    Then they likely would not have had it with them at school (illegal in most states).

Or they could have possibly shot another child in the crossfire (as was apparently the concern of an armed shopper at the mall in Oregon, who claims he had the shooter in his sites, but was concerned he might accidentally hit someone else).

Every time we have one of these shootings and someone claims that it could have been minimalized or prevented had someone else also been carrying a weapon, all I envision is a prolonged shootout and more bodies.
    See, I think teachers, properly trained should be allowed to have them to protect our children, and if trained properly, they would have had the tools to make the right call in a situation, just like the guy in Oregon did, or find they had a clear path of fire. Mistakes happen, just like the police made in New York not long ago. Nothing is fail safe, but allowing criminals to have the advantage over law abiding people is not the answer.

Nichts, had his mother not been killed, I think she should have been tried for negligence, and at the least, 27 counts of manslaughter.

I don't think, I watched it happen live on the news(second plane anyway.) You think the pilots watched the building loom larger and larger in the middle of the cockpit window and said hey maybe it's just a game of air chicken? Nah, they were killed or removed from the cockpit. I'm pretty sure people did stay seated because they had no idea the end result was what it was, they had no idea the maniacs were planning on suiciding into a building and thought they were just being taken hostage and confident authorities would be able to save them. The fact is, they used blades, thousands died. How can you deny this? Come on Roin, do you deny sept. 11th happened?

And maybe half a point, only one way to find out.
    Lol she's note denying 9/11 happened. She's saying the planes were taken over by fear, not by four hijackers with razor blades. Do you honestly believe that four hijackers with box cutters

could really keep the 40 passengers at bay? Why do you think one of the Capitol building wasn't hit? Cry moar about your derps elsewhere.

Do any of you know how hard it is to get a federal license to own machine guns? Not as easy as it is to get them illegally. The difference, the government knows I have it if I'm a law abiding citizen, it's less likely it will be used in a crime.
    Is there any reason to own a machine gun? Ad do you actually know how difficult it is to get one illegal, or are you just talking out of your ***?
    Last edited by Conundrum; 12-17-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Chumpanzie View Post
    You're in my prayers Baron, while I pet my kitten.

Wait, what?
    Stroke it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Toucan View Post
    It actually does better than shrugging a shoulder and completely ignoring it all.
    Oh? It does better, does it? What a stupid statement.

I want to ask you what your sympathies ever did to bring dead children back but then I realized it's you I'm talking to and shouldn't bring up stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Lol she's note denying 9/11 happened. She's saying the planes were taken over by fear, not by four hijackers with razor blades. Do you honestly believe that four hijackers with box cutters

could really keep the 40 passengers at bay? Why do you think one of the Capitol building wasn't hit? Cry moar about your derps elsewhere.

Is there any reason to own a machine gun? Ad do you actually know how difficult it is to get one illegal, or are you just talking out of your ***?
    Are you saying the pilots of those doomed planes were cowards and just let them fly into the trade centers? Sure people hoped for the best, and when the forth planes passengers found out what was up, they attacked the terrorists. Where was that pilot? The plane still crashed, why? If the box cutters were not a real threat, why didn't he land safely? I cannot believe you can sit there and basically say those people were cowards. I swear your posts get worse the more you have. Why don't you just join the Taliban wi your anti American sentiment.
    As far as guns go, I know where and how to carry one legally, and if I'm in question about a states rules of transport, I look into it. And it's not difficult to get one illegally dummy, that statement alone makes it appear you to be talking out of the hole your head is in.
    Last edited by The Blazin1; 12-17-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toucan View Post
    And of course it won't bring back their families, nothing can. Thanks for stating the obvious.
    Santa Clause can. DAMN can we at least have a little ******* Christmas spirit around here? It's people like you who ruin Christmas for little girls everywhere.

Are you saying the pilots of those doomed planes were cowards and just let them fly into the trade centers? Sure people hoped for the best, and when the forth planes passengers found out what was up, they attacked the terrorists. Where was that pilot? The plane still crashed, why? If the box cutters were not a real threat, why didn't he land safely? I cannot believe you can sit there and basically say those people were cowards. I swear your posts get worse the more you have. Why don't you just join the Taliban wi your anti American sentiment.
    Oh I hope you're attempting to troll with this. If not, you need to seriously reevaluate your life.

As far as guns go, I know where and how to carry one legally, and if I'm in question about a states rules of transport, I look into it. And it's not difficult to get one illegally dummy, that statement alone makes it appear you to be talking out of the hole your head is in.
    Congratulations? I didn't ask if you knew where and how to carry a gun. As for the rest of your reply (which was difficult to read, check your grammar), all I asked was if you were talking out of your *** on how easy it is to get a gun illegally. You never answered me. Do you actually know how easy it is, as in have you done it or know how to do it, or are you talking out of your ***?

Please get checked by a professional. Talking to you reminds me of how easily one of these Newtown incidents could happen again.
    Last edited by RobinLocks; 12-18-2012 at 12:37 AM.

You said a box cutter was no threat, apparently they are dangerous, or you think all those people were cowards. You're losing the argument if you're trying to score points over grammar. Check your spelling though. Yes, I do know how easy guns are obtained illegally. Through negligence, and from criminals. Felons cannot buy guns, yet they have them hmmmm. All my guns are legal, I'm not a felon, why would I purchase one illegally? Might be cheaper, but it might not work properly, also how do I know if a gun has been used in a murder? I buy it, now I have a murder weapon. No thanks.

You have been reduced to a babbling double poster, thanks for playing.

Banned.

Morons. The passengers weren't too afraid, they were clearly told that they'd be fine.

Hijackings were normally resolved with no deaths until 9/11. Try to not let your hindsight blind you when you're insulting the dead.

Morons. The passengers weren't too afraid, they were clearly told that they'd be fine.

Hijackings were normally resolved with no deaths until 9/11. Try to not let your hindsight blind you when you're insulting the dead.
    I was actually going to post something similar to this. Seeing as how most people here are young and probably don't remember it as well as adults do.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

Banned.

BTW, if someone wants to put more than their "hearts/thoughts/prayers/other stuff that means nothing" out there, here's a good place to donate to the children's funerals.

I did. http://www.weareatheism.com/donate/n...ok-elementary/

Clearly they know more about it then anyone, they have a moment of silence in school once every year.

Thanks for the link Baron, Funny how the ones who ignore something like this are the ones who do something constructive

Just out of interest, what would you rather a hijacker managed to get onboard a plane if you were onboard today? A box cutter or an AK-47?

And Baron is right. Hostages were rarely hurt before 11th September.

I don't believe anyone said "blah blah was a coward on 9/11, and liek omg, if I was there....". Everyone in here is smart enough to know that hindsight is 20/20. I an not denying the use of knives, I am saying, it was not the knives themselves that (imho) lead to the 'success' of the attack. The terrorists used what they knew about how the U.S, up until that point, handled hijackings. That was to let the plane fly to the destination, and handle business from there. The pilots weren't cowards, the passengers weren't pissing their pants at box cutters...they had no way of knowing the results. History had taught them (If you're old enough to remember 9/11, you should have a fair grasp at how hijackings were handled before it) that the plane would land, probably in Cuba, pay extra for gas, and return to Miami or the likes.

Also, I am pro-arms. Now, guns within schools, teaching our teachers and professors to be marksmen...Is that really the world we live in? Yikes.

Banned.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinLocks View Post
    I don't believe anyone said "blah blah was a coward on 9/11, and liek omg, if I was there....". Everyone in here is smart enough to know that hindsight is 20/20.
    You're wrong, Connie called them cowards.

You're a mod. Go check Connundrum's apparently deleted post.

I did not see that. My apologies, I was wrong in saying no one claimed cowardice.

I think everyone can agree that 9/11 has given us a new way of looking at the world/our safety within this country. We can easily share our opinions on the situation, given we've now the history to back it up. The passengers aboard the plane did not have that.

I do have a question for Blazin, though...and anyone else who cares to answer.

If you believe guns should be allowed within schools (I assume locked, and only where staff have access), do you also support them on board planes? You can choose to answer for everyone's right to have them versus just that of the cockpit.

You're wrong, Connie called them cowards.

You're a mod. Go check Connundrum's apparently deleted post.
    I said they could be called cowards in the context of them being afraid of the box cutters. I did delete it because it came off wrong and I was misinformed.

If you believe guns should be allowed within schools (I assume locked, and only where staff have access), do you also support them on board planes? You can choose to answer for everyone's right to have them versus just that of the cockpit.
    They technically are already on planes, but they're in possession by the sky marshals.

I don't like the ideas of guns in the class room. Kids, especially little kids, are curious (read: stupid) little buggers. They're more likely to find the firearm and if not properly secured, shoot themselves, their friend, the teacher, the classroom gold fish, whatever. That said, having a gun cabinet in the principals office where school security and other specially trained staff have access to weapons, just in case, probably wouldn't be that bad. Then again do we really want to have a shoot out inside an elementary school with a bunch of 8 year olds in between security and the shooter? Might be better to just have nice thick oak doors that securely lock, lockdown drills, and stuff of that nature. Maybe a little of column A and a little of Column B, depending on local area police response times, you might not need a gun cabinet if it takes the shooter 10 minutes to get through a classroom door and the police are on scene in 5.

That said, the structural upgrades are already supposed to be there, most schools are built to code designed for civil disaster response, which is why they're often designated/used as natural disaster evacuation centers. So it would probably be cheaper to simply perform some slight facility upgrades to the door jams and hinges than to buy a pile of guns and train a bunch of folks in their use.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirveri View Post
    They technically are already on planes, but they're in possession by the sky marshals.

I don't like the ideas of guns in the class room. Kids, especially little kids, are curious (read: stupid) little buggers. They're more likely to find the firearm and if not properly secured, shoot themselves, their friend, the teacher, the classroom gold fish, whatever. That said, having a gun cabinet in the principals office where school security and other specially trained staff have access to weapons, just in case, probably wouldn't be that bad. Then again do we really want to have a shoot out inside an elementary school with a bunch of 8 year olds in between security and the shooter? Might be better to just have nice thick oak doors that securely lock, lockdown drills, and stuff of that nature. Maybe a little of column A and a little of Column B, depending on local area police response times, you might not need a gun cabinet if it takes the shooter 10 minutes to get through a classroom door and the police are on scene in 5.

That said, the structural upgrades are already supposed to be there, most schools are built to code designed for civil disaster response, which is why they're often designated/used as natural disaster evacuation centers. So it would probably be cheaper to simply perform some slight facility upgrades to the door jams and hinges than to buy a pile of guns and train a bunch of folks in their use.
    A handgun, properly secured is nothing more then a paper weight. I'm not saying leave it in the open, but there are a variety of gun locks and one should be implemented as well as a locked box.
    Roin, there are guns on planes and I'm good with it. Honestly, I think they should be carried in a manner that makes them visible. Great crime deterrent.

A handgun, properly secured is nothing more then a paper weight. I'm not saying leave it in the open, but there are a variety of gun locks and one should be implemented as well as a locked box.
    Oh so now you like the idea of gun security?

Blazin wants teachers like this one to carry weapons.

Then again, maybe it will teach some discipline. NY Cop style discipline, everybody loves that style.

Roin, there are guns on planes and I'm good with it. Honestly, I think they should be carried in a manner that makes them visible. Great crime deterrent.
    uhhh... I'm former military and I currently own a Glock 17.

It's not a good idea, these things are rare and people WILL get complacent. Also, why have such a reminder every day? Every day you go in and see this thing and realize it's there because some A-hole shot up a bunch of kids. It's just bad juju.

I don't believe anyone said "blah blah was a coward on 9/11, and liek omg, if I was there....". Everyone in here is smart enough to know that hindsight is 20/20. I an not denying the use of knives, I am saying, it was not the knives themselves that (imho) lead to the 'success' of the attack. The terrorists used what they knew about how the U.S, up until that point, handled hijackings. That was to let the plane fly to the destination, and handle business from there. The pilots weren't cowards, the passengers weren't pissing their pants at box cutters...they had no way of knowing the results. History had taught them (If you're old enough to remember 9/11, you should have a fair grasp at how hijackings were handled before it) that the plane would land, probably in Cuba, pay extra for gas, and return to Miami or the likes.

Also, I am pro-arms. Now, guns within schools, teaching our teachers and professors to be marksmen...Is that really the world we live in? Yikes.
    It makes no sense to give teachers guns in classes. In the time it takes them to open the lock safe where it's kept the murderer could take him or her out already. What we need is for teachers to wear grenades around their necks. That way they can react quickly to the threat while doing their best to minimize unintended victims.

And let's forget that majority of them are good for nothing union members that can't do anything right and mooch of the government. Personally those are not people I'd trust handling guns. What we need is real patriots stationed in every school with automatic weapons and anti aircraft missiles because you just never know what these lunatics will try next.
    Bibo ergo sum

Well Obama ran on increasing gun controll on his first term. But alas he just let some laws expire actully going backwards. He gets so much done.
    Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach
    Stop tooting on flutes and go read a book.

If they could have saved one child by being able to shoot the perp, not even preventing the entire tragedy, just saving one young innocent life, would it be worth it?
    Ever heard of an old military term called 'being green'? Just because you're trained in how to use a gun doesn't mean you'll use it properly in your first (and most likely only in a school shooting) time in a high pressure situation? Arming teachers is dumb. It's not their job to be in that role and will never be properly trained since they will never be in high pressure situations. Even cops have the same problem. I just ran into one when I was walking in a neighborhood that had a bunch of break-ins. He was a rookie and he told me "man, I'm so glad you weren't the criminal", kinda like he was too nervous to know what to do.

Second, also with them not being in high stress situations, generally people don't carry guns for defense to be equal to any attacker, they do it to be superior. Most will have a problem staring down someone else with a gun. If they catch them from behind, yeah they may do alright.

Third, **** happens. Are you positive there's no dumb*** gun nut teachers that will pull a gun and shoot a kid for having a knife? Can you say that there aren't any pacifist teachers that will get one because it's their job and spray bullets all around if they have to shoot? Are all teachers going to keep up with their target shooting qualifications? Is there no chance that a kid will get a gun from a teacher?

Why not just leave it to the people who are supposed to have guns and protect? Put a cop in every school. Best solution if you want guns in schools.

Just out of interest, what would you rather a hijacker managed to get onboard a plane if you were onboard today? A box cutter or an AK-47?
    Actually, yes. I'm pretty sure shooting a high powered gun on a plane is a pretty bad thing... thin walls and pressurized cabins and all. Probably more of a chance on immediately having to land the plane or it going down somewhere with minimal damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy1721 View Post
    It makes no sense to give teachers guns in classes. In the time it takes them to open the lock safe where it's kept the murderer could take him or her out already.
    Sarcastic post, but this was pretty true.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichts View Post
    Which is why an individual with significant mental problems was able to walk into a school with an assault rifle and kill 26 people.
    He wasn't just let in. He had to break in last I heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erbal View Post
    I'm still new to actually presenting opinions to other people that require quality substance behind them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ConanHC View Post
    I havent enjoyed my last 24 hours on this forum, in big part because of you.

Quote Originally Posted by beefy View Post
    Even cops have the same problem. I just ran into one when I was walking in a neighborhood that had a bunch of break-ins. He was a rookie and he told me "man, I'm so glad you weren't the criminal", kinda like he was too nervous to know what to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by beefy View Post
    Put a cop in every school. Best solution if you want guns in schools.
    .... Right.
    "Semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit."

Then again, maybe it will teach some discipline. NY Cop style discipline, everybody loves that style.
    This sounds like the real crime:

According to education officials, Davis is not a certified teacher. She taught science at the charter school, a position that does not require a state teaching certificate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    I'm not very bright.

Oh so now you like the idea of gun security?
    Keeping a gun secure from children is a problem somehow? Wow Kurtz, what a dumb *** spin to pit on my statement, I expected more from you. Being able to bear arms, and keep them out of the hands of twenty year old, with a mental problems, or a curious child, is a bad thing now? New low bro, I expected more from you, but if this is the kind of drivel you are reaching for... Ok.
    I just consider that stuff part of being a responsible gun owner.

To;dr

Quote Originally Posted by Sirveri View Post
    uhhh... I'm former military and I currently own a Glock 17.
    Dishwasher safe, impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy1721 View Post
    It makes no sense to give teachers guns in classes. In the time it takes them to open the lock safe where it's kept the murderer could take him or her out already. What we need is for teachers to wear grenades around their necks. That way they can react quickly to the threat while doing their best to minimize unintended victims.

And let's forget that majority of them are good for nothing union members that can't do anything right and mooch of the government. Personally those are not people I'd trust handling guns. What we need is real patriots stationed in every school with automatic weapons and anti aircraft missiles because you just never know what these lunatics will try next.
    Seven adults were killed, if three of them had access to guns, do you think the kid would have got to every one of them first?

Reaching reaching reaching,
    Its Gun control they're preaching,
    There is no point in teaching!!!
    Wasted time!
    Get'em up,
    Move'em out,
    I'd rather have the gout,
    Wasted time!!!
    Last edited by The Blazin1; 12-19-2012 at 07:08 AM.

Emo-raging to be exact, almost as bad as I had you emo raging, but I digress, don't get him started on the meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs. Did you know we don't even have a day of remembrance for dinosaurs? Mam oh man that makes me mad.
    Oh, we totally need a Dinosaur Remembrance Day! Especially considering how much dinosaurs do for our society!
    TCG says... sign your -Rep, cowards. I don't -Rep people just because they -Rep me.
    The Dinosaur says: (img)Image removed (/img) http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/x...eSignature.png