Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 50

Thread: Pope resigns

  1. #1

    Default Pope resigns

    Saying he had examined his conscience “before God,” Benedict said he felt that he was not up to the challenge of guiding the world’s one billion Catholics.
    So, will Cardinal Bertone be the next pope, thus fulfilling the prophesy?

    I don't believe in the endtimes bible stories but do enjoy watching those that do believe play it out. Will Peter the Roman lead us into Armageddon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Eb0l is the alpha and the omega
    The eternal pumpkin queen, and mother of gerbils
    So it was written and so it must forever be

  2. #2
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    20,773

    Default

    Lightning strikes St. Peter's after pope's announcement:



    http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2...ouncement?lite

  3. #3

    Default

    The prophecy shall be fulfilled!
    Excuse me for disagreeing that your degeneracy is sacred.

  4. #4

    Default



    Also, I don't get papal resignations. The Pope is like, top dog. Who is there that is qualified to accept his resignation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    Josh: You're a Brit. You can't do anything rite.
    Quote Originally Posted by To Be Somebody View Post
    Reserved for my very negative, hate-filled, prejudiced opinion on what Joshyyy said.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    Also, I don't get papal resignations. The Pope is like, top dog. Who is there that is qualified to accept his resignation?
    On the inverse, who has the authority to reject the Pope's resignation?
    Excuse me for disagreeing that your degeneracy is sacred.

  6. #6
    Philosopher Jacana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Solving Agatha Christie's problems.
    Posts
    11,514

    Default

    One of the people I'm subscribed to made a good video campaigning to be Pope.

    (a LOT of forum-inappropriate language, so I'll just put a link in)

  7. #7
    Philosopher Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Davis, CA
    Posts
    13,219

    Default

    Relevant (but warning: NSFW)

    nsfwlinkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    OMG, Wodey found a woman who agrees with him. He must be right, cos all women are always right all the time.

  8. #8
    Philosopher Loyalist42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Somewhere between the library and a keg...
    Posts
    2,459

    Default

    Just remember...

    Always two, there are...a master, and an apprentice.
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...ForumSiggy.jpg


    May the road rise up to meet your feet, may the wind be always at your back, and may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead

  9. #9

    Default

    http://itccs.org/

    Pope Benedict, Joseph Ratzinger, has scheduled a meeting with Italian President Giorgio Napolitano for Saturday, February 23 to discuss securing protection and immunity from prosecution from the Italian government, according to Italian media sources.

    Ratzinger's meeting follows upon the apparent receipt by the Vatican of a diplomatic note from an undisclosed European government on February 4, stating its intention to issue an arrest warrant for Ratzinger, who resigned from his pontificate less than a week later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Eb0l is the alpha and the omega
    The eternal pumpkin queen, and mother of gerbils
    So it was written and so it must forever be

  10. #10
    Consul Kurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The land of the ice and snow
    Posts
    24,821

    Default

    Was wondering what he meant by this:

    Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    The outgoing head of the Roman Catholic Church, Pope Benedict XVI, has hinted he will withdraw into seclusion after stepping down at the end of this month.

    "Even if I am withdrawing into prayer, I will always be close to all of you... even if I remain hidden to the world," he told a meeting of Roman priests.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21458783

  11. #11
    Consul Lurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Midwest U.S.
    Posts
    5,574

    Default

    It's really the best thing for him to do. He's retiring, I assume, partly because he's become fragile. He always has been very introverted and has never liked the public aspect of his ministry.

    Also he wouldn't be doing his successor any favors by sticking around in the public eye; for good or ill it would be a distraction at best for both him and his successor.
    Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi loqui debuit ac potuit.

    [7:32 AM] Jason (Al Bundy raidslave): Who the **** loses an arti to 18 phalanx
    [7:32 AM] Old Timer US1: The same faction that loses one to 66 legos

  12. #12
    Senator cheddar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    OSU
    Posts
    3,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    It's really the best thing for him to do. He's retiring, I assume, partly because he's become fragile. He always has been very introverted and has never liked the public aspect of his ministry.

    Also he wouldn't be doing his successor any favors by sticking around in the public eye; for good or ill it would be a distraction at best for both him and his successor.
    But... but... tradition!
    Live Life, Love Others.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeLink View Post
    Cheddar is one of the popular, energetic guys.
    "A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." - Proverbs 12:16

    "Comparison is the thief of joy." - Theodore Roosevelt

    Dethy Analysis Helper

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    It's really the best thing for him to do. He's retiring, I assume, partly because he's become fragile. He always has been very introverted and has never liked the public aspect of his ministry.

    Also he wouldn't be doing his successor any favors by sticking around in the public eye; for good or ill it would be a distraction at best for both him and his successor.
    /pukes

    He's going into hiding in hopes of dodging prosecution. He's a piece of ****. Luckily, according to the prophesy, we only have one more pope to endure and then we get to watch Catholicism crumble more than Luisssss's arguments on the forums. Of course the prophesy is bull****, as is the religion, but I'm still holding onto hope that the catholic traditions die a horrible death.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Eb0l is the alpha and the omega
    The eternal pumpkin queen, and mother of gerbils
    So it was written and so it must forever be

  14. #14
    Consul Luisss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    10,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    /pukes

    He's going into hiding in hopes of dodging prosecution. He's a piece of ****. Luckily, according to the prophesy, we only have one more pope to endure and then we get to watch Catholicism crumble more than Luisssss's arguments on the forums. Of course the prophesy is bull****, as is the religion, but I'm still holding onto hope that the catholic traditions die a horrible death.

    It's funny you think my arguments have crumbled when my arguments are the only ones still standing.
    "Semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit."

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luisss View Post
    It's funny you think my arguments have crumbled when my arguments are the only ones still standing.
    Your faith in yourself is just like your faith in your religion. Delusional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Eb0l is the alpha and the omega
    The eternal pumpkin queen, and mother of gerbils
    So it was written and so it must forever be

  16. #16
    Consul Lurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Midwest U.S.
    Posts
    5,574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    He's going into hiding in hopes of dodging prosecution.
    Yes, and someone fed on a diet of sensationalist journalism and shock images is definitely a reliable source on that.

    I know, I know, you've come up with your own brand of logic (as you yourself have admitted) and therefore should be institutionalized but Obama hasn't funded that yet. Oh well, give it time. I'm sure the next anti-Catholic dictator will give you what you need instead of what you want.
    Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi loqui debuit ac potuit.

    [7:32 AM] Jason (Al Bundy raidslave): Who the **** loses an arti to 18 phalanx
    [7:32 AM] Old Timer US1: The same faction that loses one to 66 legos

  17. #17
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    20,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luisss View Post
    It's funny you think my arguments have crumbled when my arguments are the only ones still standing.
    Son, you've been torn apart harder than Polly-o string cheese in a fat 3rd grader's lunchbox.

  18. #18
    Consul Sirveri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    Yes, and someone fed on a diet of sensationalist journalism and shock images is definitely a reliable source on that.
    http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/02...ore-resigning/
    It seems that with his resignation announced, the Pope, whose given name is Joseph Ratzinger, has a meeting with the Italian President, Giorgio Napolitano on February 23 to beg for immunity against prosecution for allegations of child sex crimes. Apparently, this hastily arranged meeting, and likely the resignation as well, are the result of a supposed note received by the Vatican from an undisclosed European government that stated that there are plans to issue a warrant for the Pope’s arrest. This letter was allegedly received on February 4, and Ratzinger resigned a week later. Now, there’s no way people can ignore how fishy this is. The first Pope to resign in 600 years does so after panicking about an impending arrest and in the midst of a hastily arranged meeting begging for protection from the Italian government? How they will keep people from connecting the two is beyond me. Chances are, the world will be popping popcorn and steadily watching.

    Well, for once, the guy might not get off easy. The International Tribunal into Crimes of Church and state calls upon the Italian President to deny help to Ratzinger, and to “not collude in criminality. Let’s just hope that Napolitano does not cave. However, there may be another avenue to make sure the Pope is brought to justice if the Italian President does cave.

    It seems that in addition to these alleged attempts by this European government to prosecute, a New York based organization, The Centre for Constitutional Rights, has accused the Pope and his Cardinals of possible crimes against humanity for sheltering pedophile priests. The non-profit legal group has requested an ICC inquiry on behalf of the Survivor’s Network, citing the church’s “long-standing and pervasive system of sexual violence.”
    We'll wait and see what happens. This could, if true, be a good thing for the Vatican, toss out the soiled linens and hopefully repair the place.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

  19. #19
    Consul Luisss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    10,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    Your faith in yourself is just like your faith in your religion. Delusional.
    Much like you're silly tinfoil hat governmental conspiracies, your accusations are baseless and easily refuted. .
    "Semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit."

  20. #20
    Consul Lurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Midwest U.S.
    Posts
    5,574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirveri View Post
    http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/02...ore-resigning/


    We'll wait and see what happens. This could, if true, be a good thing for the Vatican, toss out the soiled linens and hopefully repair the place.
    The only source that they cite in that article is the "International Tribunal into Crimes of Church and state", a rather official-sounding entity but not one that I am able to find any information on - in fact, I'm not even able to find an official website for this entity.

    I'm honestly rather confused about this; no mainstream media source has decided to break on such a juicy story and the only source appears to be a made-up entity so addictinginfo doesn't get sued for slander. Could you please explain how I'm supposed to buy this one?
    Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi loqui debuit ac potuit.

    [7:32 AM] Jason (Al Bundy raidslave): Who the **** loses an arti to 18 phalanx
    [7:32 AM] Old Timer US1: The same faction that loses one to 66 legos

  21. #21

  22. #22
    Consul Lurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Midwest U.S.
    Posts
    5,574

    Default

    Right, but none of those articles make the same wild claims that the one that Siv posted; that's what I was getting at; for example none of the ones you linked state that there is an impending case against Benedict or a government seeking to extradite and try him.
    Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi loqui debuit ac potuit.

    [7:32 AM] Jason (Al Bundy raidslave): Who the **** loses an arti to 18 phalanx
    [7:32 AM] Old Timer US1: The same faction that loses one to 66 legos

  23. #23
    Consul Kurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The land of the ice and snow
    Posts
    24,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    Right, but none of those articles make the same wild claims that the one that Siv posted; that's what I was getting at; for example none of the ones you linked state that there is an impending case against Benedict or a government seeking to extradite and try him.
    No, but it very, very, very strongly hints at it.

  24. #24
    Consul Lurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Midwest U.S.
    Posts
    5,574

    Default

    Meaning that they have no evidence that this is the case; if they had a single solitary shred then they'd have plastered it all over the front page for fun and profit.
    Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi loqui debuit ac potuit.

    [7:32 AM] Jason (Al Bundy raidslave): Who the **** loses an arti to 18 phalanx
    [7:32 AM] Old Timer US1: The same faction that loses one to 66 legos

  25. #25
    Consul Kurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The land of the ice and snow
    Posts
    24,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    Meaning that they have no evidence that this is the case; if they had a single solitary shred then they'd have plastered it all over the front page for fun and profit.
    I seriously doubt any police force would be stupid enough to show their hand before he does leave.

    That said, I wouldn't doubt that the church has enough informants to know of it and have him beg for immunity.

  26. #26
    Consul Sirveri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,241

    Default

    I didn't say it was valid, just that I found it interesting, and we'll find out if it's true or not soon enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

  27. #27
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    20,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirveri View Post
    I didn't say it was valid, just that I found it interesting, and we'll find out if it's true or not soon enough.
    Yeah, but you said the same thing about the g-spot when you were in high school.

  28. #28

  29. #29
    Banned.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    45

    Default

    I don't see what the harm is with Pope Benedict's circumvention of judicial courts. There's a separation of Church and State, and i don't believe that a Priest, who works through God, should be tried by a man-made system of "justice" that we all know isn't near as good as we like to fool ourselves into believing. I feel that these priests, bishops, cardinals, et cetera, should be punished by the church, if the church deems they need to be. Otherwise, you're incringing on their rights to free exercise and practice of their religion.

  30. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kefka View Post
    I don't see what the harm is with Pope Benedict's circumvention of judicial courts. There's a separation of Church and State, and i don't believe that a Priest, who works through God, should be tried by a man-made system of "justice" that we all know isn't near as good as we like to fool ourselves into believing. I feel that these priests, bishops, cardinals, et cetera, should be punished by the church, if the church deems they need to be. Otherwise, you're incringing on their rights to free exercise and practice of their religion.
    You're right! I forgot about that part in the bible where it goes "and on the eight day, god said let there be priest to **** and enslave kids."

    Point is, the church knew for years what was going on and did nothing to stop it. At some point people have to be held accountable.

    http://americablog.com/2013/02/magda...h-apology.html

    The church is well aware of what is going on! While it would be a happy thought to say "they were neutral in the matter" the fact that this went on for years and years and years and they did nothing to stop it- they ran it- makes you wonder about their moral values. They won't stop on their own. Some other force has to step in.

    Do I need to get links to stories about sexual abuse within the church next, or have you seen those stories already?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Eb0l is the alpha and the omega
    The eternal pumpkin queen, and mother of gerbils
    So it was written and so it must forever be

  31. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kefka View Post
    I don't see what the harm is with Pope Benedict's circumvention of judicial courts. There's a separation of Church and State, and i don't believe that a Priest, who works through God, should be tried by a man-made system of "justice" that we all know isn't near as good as we like to fool ourselves into believing. I feel that these priests, bishops, cardinals, et cetera, should be punished by the church, if the church deems they need to be. Otherwise, you're incringing on their rights to free exercise and practice of their religion.
    And somewhere in Virginia, Jefferson and Madison did a collective face palm...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenaynay View Post
    According to the theory of evolution, you probably shouldn't be allowed here either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You're a ******* idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luisss View Post
    I DON'T CARE WHAT THE ANSWER IS.
    S3- Nemesis- http://travian-reports.net/us/report/60926971ac5 (That clay pit had it coming!!!!!!)
    S1- Trannysaurusrex- 7RU (the awesome wing)
    S1- Inshallah. It be but the will of God.

    No neg coords for me.

  32. #32
    Banned.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    You're right! I forgot about that part in the bible where it goes "and on the eight day, god said let there be priest to **** and enslave kids."

    Point is, the church knew for years what was going on and did nothing to stop it. At some point people have to be held accountable.

    http://americablog.com/2013/02/magda...h-apology.html

    The church is well aware of what is going on! While it would be a happy thought to say "they were neutral in the matter" the fact that this went on for years and years and years and they did nothing to stop it- they ran it- makes you wonder about their moral values. They won't stop on their own. Some other force has to step in.

    Do I need to get links to stories about sexual abuse within the church next, or have you seen those stories already?
    I'm not saying these...unfortunate incidents aren't bad. But by allowing government oversight and judicial review, you hamper the religious freedom promised in the constitution! These people, which are remote indeed, are trying to undermine the foundation of a great Religious Body! The fact remains that the amount of good done by the church far outweighs these few ill reputable cases, and i think it would be horrendous to use them and set a precedent of religious persecution!

  33. #33
    Senator cheddar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    OSU
    Posts
    3,546

    Default

    Yeah! I mean, the Vatican is the 51st State of the Union, right?
    Live Life, Love Others.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeLink View Post
    Cheddar is one of the popular, energetic guys.
    "A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." - Proverbs 12:16

    "Comparison is the thief of joy." - Theodore Roosevelt

    Dethy Analysis Helper

  34. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kefka View Post
    I'm not saying these...unfortunate incidents aren't bad. But by allowing government oversight and judicial review, you hamper the religious freedom promised in the constitution! These people, which are remote indeed, are trying to undermine the foundation of a great Religious Body! The fact remains that the amount of good done by the church far outweighs these few ill reputable cases, and i think it would be horrendous to use them and set a precedent of religious persecution!
    I'm a priestess in my religion and I fully support you. You know, last year we kidnapped 13 new born babies from the hospital, cut out their eyes, and fed the bodies to the incarnation of our god (he reincarnated as an alligator this lifetime). But the government is trying to press charges against us for that. Oh, and they also hate us for raping kids and forcing them to be our slaves in a laundry.

    Separation of church and state are there for a reason. I mean, that is what our great nation is founded on. Religious freedom to **** kids and gouge out their eyes and feed them to an alligator. My god is the only one that can judge me. I took the case to my god and he bit off two fingers as punishment. Courts think they can arrest someone practicing their religious rights to ****, torture, enslave, and murder kids. Pfft.

    I'm so glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. Is your god an alligator too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Eb0l is the alpha and the omega
    The eternal pumpkin queen, and mother of gerbils
    So it was written and so it must forever be

  35. #35
    Banned.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    I'm a priestess in my religion and I fully support you. You know, last year we kidnapped 13 new born babies from the hospital, cut out their eyes, and fed the bodies to the incarnation of our god (he reincarnated as an alligator this lifetime). But the government is trying to press charges against us for that. Oh, and they also hate us for raping kids and forcing them to be our slaves in a laundry.

    Separation of church and state are there for a reason. I mean, that is what our great nation is founded on. Religious freedom to **** kids and gouge out their eyes and feed them to an alligator. My god is the only one that can judge me. I took the case to my god and he bit off two fingers as punishment. Courts think they can arrest someone practicing their religious rights to ****, torture, enslave, and murder kids. Pfft.

    I'm so glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. Is your god an alligator too?
    These practices aren't embraced by our religion as a whole. But as i said, it's a necessary evil, in counterpart to all the good we do for the world! Where as, your pagan, heathenish cult worship does nothing but make God angry, and bring natural disasters.

  36. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kefka View Post
    These practices aren't embraced by our religion as a whole. But as i said, it's a necessary evil, in counterpart to all the good we do for the world! Where as, your pagan, heathenish cult worship does nothing but make God angry, and bring natural disasters.
    Someone call Fox news! Breaking story. The sexual abuse and child slave labor committed by the catholic church is a necessary evil! Your religion is beautiful!

    And my religion is not a cult nor is it pagan. God loves us and the babies we feed him, and we aren't to blame for the natural disasters. The pope is. He has a weather machine and does it to make people afraid and donate more money so he can buy coke and PCP. Everyone knows that. So spaketh the lord, on the 19th day of establishment. Ahmen-Ra.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Eb0l is the alpha and the omega
    The eternal pumpkin queen, and mother of gerbils
    So it was written and so it must forever be

  37. #37
    Banned.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    Someone call Fox news! Breaking story. The sexual abuse and child slave labor committed by the catholic church is a necessary evil! Your religion is beautiful!

    And my religion is not a cult nor is it pagan. God loves us and the babies we feed him, and we aren't to blame for the natural disasters. The pope is. He has a weather machine and does it to make people afraid and donate more money so he can buy coke and PCP. Everyone knows that. So spaketh the lord, on the 19th day of establishment. Ahmen-Ra.
    You know, that tin-foil hat doesn't stop God from knowing your mind and thoughts. He knows you, and He loves you, if not your head wear. God said that in life, there is a necessary evil, for there to be Good and Righteousness. For out of the ashes, the Phoenix is born a new.

  38. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kefka View Post
    You know, that tin-foil hat doesn't stop God from knowing your mind and thoughts. He knows you, and He loves you, if not your head wear. God said that in life, there is a necessary evil, for there to be Good and Righteousness. For out of the ashes, the Phoenix is born a new.
    Your god hates tinfoil hats? WTF is wrong with him? If he wants to hate a hat he should check out the pope's hats. They are certainly on the worst dressed list.

    My alligator god loves tinfoil hats. I'll have my god call your god to chat about them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Eb0l is the alpha and the omega
    The eternal pumpkin queen, and mother of gerbils
    So it was written and so it must forever be

  39. #39
    Banned.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    Your god hates tinfoil hats? WTF is wrong with him? If he wants to hate a hat he should check out the pope's hats. They are certainly on the worst dressed list.

    My alligator god loves tinfoil hats. I'll have my god call your god to chat about them.
    He's also not too fond of Fedora's. Not the operating system. Just the hat. But you mock the One True God, and you reap what you sow, in this life, or after, when you meet the lake of fire and brimstone. I would love to see your alligator try to swim through waves of fire.

  40. #40
    Consul Sirveri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,241

    Default

    Aside from whatever that was...
    You commit a civil crime, you end up in a civil court. You commit a religious crime, you end up in a religious court, assuming you're of that religion. 1st Amendment 101.

    Why is the pope resigning:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/APe7fc...21e2eb645.html
    PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Documents released Friday shed light on the inner workings of a secretive and now-disgraced Roman Catholic order called the Legion of Christ, including new details on how the organization solicited money from an elderly widow, eventually persuading her to bequeath it $60 million.

    The documents, previously sealed in a lawsuit brought before Superior Court in Rhode Island, include thousands of pages of testimony from high-ranking leaders at the Legion, its members and relatives of wealthy widow Gabrielle Mee. They are the first-ever depositions of high-ranking Legion officials and include how the order's former second-in-command learned in 2006 that its founder had fathered a child.
    -snip-

    A Rhode Island Superior Court judge said last year that the documents raised a red flag because Mee, a steadfastly spiritual elderly woman, transferred millions to "clandestinely dubious religious leaders." But they had been kept under seal until The Associated Press, The New York Times, the National Catholic Reporter and The Providence Journal intervened, arguing that they were in the public interest. The Legion had argued media coverage of the documents could taint prospective jurors if there was a trial.

    The Legion scandal is significant because it shows how the Holy See willfully ignored credible allegations of abuse against Maciel for decades while holding him up as a model of sainthood for the faithful because he brought in money and vocations to the priesthood. The scandal, which has tarnished the legacy of Pope John Paul II, is cited as an especially egregious example of how the Vatican ignored decades of reports about sexually abusive priests because church leaders put the interests of the institution above those of the victims.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...4_story_1.html
    The donor of $60 mill was housed in their facility and they kept her from visiting her sister as she was dying.

    They had total control of this woman. That's why the records were unsealed. They used their coercion to get her money.
    Fraud means asset seizures. This could all be a move to protect Vatican assets.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •