Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: I like to read, how about you?

I've read all of WoT at least 3 times through and love it. Brandon Sanderson did an awesome job getting it finished, although he uses the word "tempest" entirely too often.
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

Episode 12 of the Frontiers Saga was released today. Been waiting since August, it's been pushed back so long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper316 View Post
    A couple of thoughts...

Rothfuss: The Slow Regard of Silent Things is being released on October 28th, but it is just a novella. The Doors of Stone is the conclusion to the series, but it has no publication date yet.
    Rothfuss has an awesome shorty story in Martin's collection, Rogues, called The Lightning Tree. Lots of other great stories in that sucker, too.
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

I've been on a 1632-verse kick lately. Eric Flint is heavy handed with the symbolism sometimes, but it's a good read.
    Please accept my resignation. I have no interest in being a member of any club that would take me as a member.

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    Lord of the Gifs
    Who loves not women, wine and song, remains a fool his whole life long.

I've read some interesting books lately.

Nnedi Okorafor, Lagoon - aliens land and ask a few members of the local populace to "take me to your leader" - except the landing place is the polluted lagoon around which the city of Lagos is built, and the leader in question is the President of Nigeria.

Ellen Oh, Prophecy - YA fantasy about a prophesied hero who will save his people at their worst hour based on Korean history and legend - with a strong female protagonist

Nalo Hopkinson, The Chaos - YA fantasy about identity and self-discovery - but it is also a full-tilt boogie through chaotic transformations worthy of a serious dose of magic mushrooms, and the myths and folklore of more places and peoples than I could count

Keri Hulme, The Bone People - Booker Award winning novel about damage and redemption, at once the story of three broken people who must be stripped down to the bone before they can begin to heal, and also a vision of the need for a cultural renewal for New Zealand's peoples that brings white and Maori together. The author herself is of mixed white and Maori heritage

Anyone else read anything interesting lately?
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

I Am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe

Incredibly depressing in terms of plot, but beautiful descriptions of the self-destructive behaviors that occur on college campuses and character development that clarifies why I dislike so many of my classmates on principle.

Which makes me seem like a d bag, but... read it

For anyone who cares - i've been first busy and then sick for the last two months, but I am going to inflict the remaining posts about women in sff on you, just not quite sure when. I'm sure you are all overjoyed to hear this.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.

I hope I will be forgiven for this double post, but I came across a list of 19 recommended sff books by women of colour, and thought it would be of intetest to some of the peoole who read this thread from time to time.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/akpatel462/1...ovels-by-15qst

I've read six of the books on this list, and have read other works by three more of the authors mentioned, and if the books I have not read are of similar quality to those I have, there is much excellent reading here.

I'm halfway through The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman and I have a feeling this will be my second gateway into watered down magical realism.
    "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost."

I got about 10 new books to read.

You guys can proceed to be jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    Episode 12 of the Frontiers Saga was released today. Been waiting since August, it's been pushed back so long.
    Episode 13 has been released too. Waiting on Episode 14.

Also, Leviathan Wakes is one of the best Sci Fi Suspense books you'll read in a long time. They're making it into a TV show now.

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe.

Made me smile, laugh, and cry. One of my new favorite books.

Coming of age book set in the 80s.
    Last edited by Formor Smod; 07-11-2015 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Double posting is bad mmkay
    I'm not very bright.

Well, i'm reading Perks of Being A Wallflower now

Gotmilk, I like new posts cause it keeps the time records, and it's a easier catalog. Stop merging.

I got about 10 new books to read.

You guys can proceed to be jealous.

Episode 13 has been released too. Waiting on Episode 14.

Also, Leviathan Wakes is one of the best Sci Fi Suspense books you'll read in a long time. They're making it into a TV show now.
    That's just the first book of the series, and it sustains itself very well. I'm on book 4 of it now - Cibola Burn - and book 5 is either out or about to come out.
    I've also been burning through a lot of Brandon Sanderson's work. I think he's a very good author - well thought out magic mythologies in each book. He could also give some lessons to GRRM on how to produce regularly.

Perks of Being a Wallflower was really good, better than the movie. Afterwards I read More Than This which is really good.

Now I'm reading The 5th Wave, which is about a realistic alien invasion, where we don't stand a chance. It's getting made into a movie.

I also think I'm going to read all the books mentioned in The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Hello...So I'm in the middle of Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders series. There are many parallels that can be drawn between this series and Song of Fire and Ice, but this series wins in so many aspects.

I'm reading Titus Livius' The History of Rome
    It's ancient, so if you enjoyed getting through works such as the Illiad, you may enjoy it. That said, it's pleasing if you enjoy history mixed in with a bit of lore. It also goes through a time when Rome was just frail settlement upon a hilly countryside, then there is internal strife, and external threats to the early Romans. Then there are these ancient heroic statements that can only somewhat be found in text written by ancient historians.

“They sometimes besought him not to suffer them, who were descended from the Etrurians, and of the same blood and name, to live in exile and poverty; at other times they advised him not to let this commencing practice of expelling kings pass unpunished. That liberty has charms enough in itself; and unless kings defend their crowns with as much vigour as the people pursue their liberty, that the highest must be reduced to a level with the lowest; there will be nothing exalted, nothing distinguished above the rest; and hence there must be an end of regal government, the most beautiful institution both among gods and men.”

Excerpt From: Livius, Titus. “The History of Rome, Books 01 to 08.” iBooks.
    This material may be protected by copyright.

WELCOME BACK

Villager

Quote Originally Posted by Creep-er View Post
    Hello...So I'm in the middle of Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders series. There are many parallels that can be drawn between this series and Song of Fire and Ice, but this series wins in so many aspects.
    High praise indeed. Thanks for the good mention.

I've been trying to read the Icefire Trilogy because someone mentioned they really liked it but so far I can't get into it. Just doesn't have characters that are at all likable or even hate-able. very mediocre.

This might have been covered earlier, apologies if I'm rehashing. I just read Neal Stepheson's latest book, Sevenes. I thought it was one of the worst books I've ever read and wondered if it was published as a hoax to see how many of his fans would gush about it.

I just finished re-reading one of my favorite books of all time: Niebla by Miguel de Unamuno. Worth a read if you know Spanish or find a translation.
    US1 - R8: Seba18 - TMH
    US1 - R9: Easy Faked Oven - RIP (http://travian-reports.net/us/report/284151238bd/http://travian-reports.net/us/report/293427537bc)
    US19 - R1: Seba18 (win)

I have a half dozen books at home, one at work, and haven't read squat in months. I just don't have the energy, stressed out far too much, to pick one up. Feh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mod Cré Spéir View Post
    This might have been covered earlier, apologies if I'm rehashing. I just read Neal Stepheson's latest book, Sevenes. I thought it was one of the worst books I've ever read and wondered if it was published as a hoax to see how many of his fans would gush about it.
    I read Seveneves. The first part wasn't too bad, although quite grim. The second half.... Didn't work for me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    I have a half dozen books at home, one at work, and haven't read squat in months. I just don't have the energy, stressed out far too much, to pick one up. Feh.
    This is when I pick up a random trashy romance [or insert genre] novel and skim through it--no expectations of enjoyment, not mentally taxing. I can skip through a lot of stupid parts and fill in the blanks, and finish the book within an hour or so to relieve some stress. When you expect to get something out of a book it automatically requires more effort to read.

This is when I pick up a random trashy romance [or insert genre] novel and skim through it--no expectations of enjoyment, not mentally taxing. I can skip through a lot of stupid parts and fill in the blanks, and finish the book within an hour or so to relieve some stress. When you expect to get something out of a book it automatically requires more effort to read.
    I do this with mysyery novels, especially historical mysteries.

I just don't have the energy to get invested. I have a Stephen King book that I could race through. I am so painfully familiar with his work that it would be like ice skating. I just ... can't.
    Too many stressors in life the past... year? I work, watch tv, play with my kids, sleep and start it over the next day.

So, for the sff folks here... Did anyone submit nominations for the Hugos? I had a terrible time making my choices, there were so many really good novels and short fiction works released last year.

My final ballot (fiction works only), plus the worjs I would have nominated if there had been more slots....

Thank ​you ​for ​your ​nomination ​for ​the ​2016 ​Hugo ​Awards ​and ​John ​W. ​Campbell ​Award.

Below ​is ​a ​summary ​of ​your ​current ​nominating ​ballot:
    Your ​nominations ​for ​Best ​Novel:

The ​Fifth ​Season ​N. ​K. ​Jemisin ​ ​Orbit ​
    The ​Dark ​Forest ​Liu ​Cixin ​Tor ​
    Karen ​Memory ​Elizabeth ​Bear ​Tor ​
    The ​Book ​of ​Phoenix ​Nnedi ​Okorafor ​DAW ​
    The ​Just ​City ​Jo ​Walton ​Tor ​

(Others that were on my list til the last cut:
    The House of Shattered Wings, Aliette de Bodard
    The Water Knife, Paolo Bacigalupi
    The Long Way to A Small Angry Planet, Becky Chambers
    Sorcerer to the Crown, Zen Cho
    Ancillary Mercy, Ann Leckie
    The Grace of Kings, Ken Liu
    Uprooted, Naomi Novik)

Your ​nominations ​for ​Best ​Novella:

The ​Pauper ​Prince ​and ​the ​Eucalyptus ​Jinn ​Usman ​Malik ​ ​ ​
    Three ​Songs ​for ​Roxy ​Carin ​Gussoff ​ ​ ​
    Binti ​Nnedi ​Okorafor ​ ​ ​
    The ​New ​Mother ​Eugene ​Fischer ​ ​
    What ​Has ​Passed ​Shall ​in ​Kinder ​Light ​Appear ​ ​Bao ​Shu ​ ​ ​

Sorcerer of the Wildeeps, Kai Ashante Wilson
    Alistair Reynolds, Slow Bullets
    Lois McMaster Bujold, Penric's Demon
    Kelly Robson, The Waters of Versailles)

Your ​nominations ​for ​Best ​Novelette:

A ​Residence ​for ​Friendless ​Ladies ​Alice ​Sola ​Kim ​ ​
    Folding ​Beijing ​Hao ​Jingfang ​ ​
    The ​Oiran's ​Song ​Isabel ​Yap ​ ​
    And ​the ​Balance ​in ​Blood ​Elizabeth ​Bear ​ ​
    Ambiguity ​Machines: ​An ​Examination ​Vandana ​Singh ​ ​ ​

Our Lady of the Open Road, Sarah Pinsker
    The Heart's Filthy Lesson, Elizabeth Bear
    Fabulous Beasts, Priya Sharma)

Your ​nominations ​for ​Best ​Short ​Story:

For ​Sale: ​Fantasy ​Coffins ​(Ababuo ​Need ​Not ​Apply), ​Chesya ​Burke ​ ​
    Three ​Cups ​of ​Grief, ​By ​Starlight, ​Aliette ​de ​Bodard ​ ​ ​
    The ​Shape ​of ​My ​Name, ​Nino ​Cipri ​ ​ ​
    Two ​to ​Leave, ​Yoon ​Ha ​Lee ​ ​ ​
    Those, ​Sofia ​Samatar ​ ​

(​Others that were on my list til the last cut:
    City of Ash, Paolo Bacigalupi
    Cat Pictures Please, Naomi Kritzer
    Variations on an Apple, Yoon Ha Lee
    Damage, David R. Levine
    Kin, Painted, Penny Stirling
    The Closest Thing to Animals, Sofia Samatar
    Who WillGreet You at Home, Lesly Nneka Arimah)

So.... That's my list of the best sff published in 2015, according to me.

Anyone else read any of these? Or want to list their favourite sff read from 2015?

I guess I've been making up for lost time. I read the latest book in The Expanse series and it was freaking awesome. Had me by the short hairs from beginning to end and I have no idea where the cable channel will find the money to do the CGI this sucker will demand.
    I read Sanderson's Calamity , the finale of the Reckoners trilogy. Then read Stephen King's Finder's Keepers, second book of his horror trilogy and just yesterday finished the Temeraire series. If you have not read Naomi Novic's Temeraire series, you're in for a treat. Wonderful historic fantasy/fiction with one of the best dragons ever put to paper. The series is now complete, so if you're one of those who wait til the series is done cuz Patrick and George burned you, this one is safe.

The country with the world's longest official name

I guess I've been making up for lost time. I read the latest book in The Expanse series and it was freaking awesome. Had me by the short hairs from beginning to end and I have no idea where the cable channel will find the money to do the CGI this sucker will demand.
    I read Sanderson's Calamity , the finale of the Reckoners trilogy. Then read Stephen King's Finder's Keepers, second book of his horror trilogy and just yesterday finished the Temeraire series. If you have not read Naomi Novic's Temeraire series, you're in for a treat. Wonderful historic fantasy/fiction with one of the best dragons ever put to paper. The series is now complete, so if you're one of those who wait til the series is done cuz Patrick and George burned you, this one is safe.
    Patrick?

Ah, I forgot about this thread!

The last thing I read was harry potter fanfic . (Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse-Keyboard View Post
    Patrick?
    Patrick Rothfuss. He has published two beautiful, wonderful novels of a trilogy ... and book 3 is still in progress 3,127 years later

Patrick Rothfuss. He has published two beautiful, wonderful novels of a trilogy ... and book 3 is still in progress 3,127 years later
    Is that GRR Martin's pen name?

I just finished Red Rising. Very amateurish writing, and very strong sexism and a few homophobic remarks.

And a lot of justified ****.

Would not recommend. Not really sure how it got such raving reviews, honestly.

Even without the **** and sexism, it was just okay.

I keep thinking they are related. Both authors also have beards large enough to home a family of pheasants.

The country with the world's longest official name

He was in the post (it said "Patrick and George").

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse-Keyboard View Post
    He was in the post (it said "Patrick and George").
    I was thinking Patrick and George were characters in Patrick's trilogy.

I just enjoyed 50 shades of gray. It took me several, uhhhhh, sittings, to get through that book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Eb0l is the alpha and the omega
    The eternal pumpkin queen, and mother of gerbils
    So it was written and so it must forever be

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    I just enjoyed 50 shades of gray. It took me several, uhhhhh, sittings, to get through that book.
    Really? Every review I've read said it was basically the imagination of someone who knows less than nothing of the BDSM scene writing a book about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    That's disgusting.

Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?
    I'm not very bright.

Quote Originally Posted by 5m4llP0X View Post
    Really? Every review I've read said it was basically the imagination of someone who knows less than nothing of the BDSM scene writing a book about it.
    I don't think she was reading it for instructions.