Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: I like to read, how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    I've been reading more graphic novels lately - i'm reading the fifth collected volume of Ms. Marvel right now, Super Famous, which is interesting because if its take on urban gentrification.

And one of the best graphic novels I've read in a long time is Monstress, Volume 1: Awakening, written by Marjorie Liu, illustrated by Sana Takeda. Absolutely beautiful artwork, very interesting story.

I didn't read many graphic novels for a long time, I'm now glad I'm getting back into them.
    Thanks for the recommendations, they both seem worth reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations, they both seem worth reading.

I'm finding Ms. Marvel very interesting, less so for the superhero adventure aspects, which are pretty standard - though often have progressive messages - than for the psychological and cultural elements. Kamala Knan is a teenage Muslim girl from a believing immigrant family, growing up in a multicultural world, balancing learning to be a hero with doing her homework and negotiating adolescent life with all its supercharged emotions.

The writing is top-notch on the personal issues, and delivers what it's supposed to on the action.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

Taking forever reading Stephen King's Revival. It's been good, just caught up in a lot of real life crap again and find it hard to find time to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

Just finished another graphic novel on the Hugo nominations list - The Vision, Volume 1: Little Worse Than A Man, written by Tom King, and illustrated by Gabriel Hernandez Walta

I had never really been aware of a superhero named Vision before reading this. The IMDB says he was in the recent Avengers films, and now that i think of it i sort of remember him, but I guess my attention slid right over him at the tine in favour of the superheroes I did know.

In any case, this is an excellently written and deeply frightening graphic story - I want to know how it ends, but I'm not sure I want to read any more of it. Vision, apparently, is an artificial life form created with the use of the brainwaves of a real human being. At one point he had a human wife and children, but they died, so he has made himself a synthetic family to replace them, and moved them into a nice middle-class suburban neighbourhood. And just as sure as if this were a Steven King novel about death and hubris, things go horribly, horribly wrong. Small mistakes and misunderstandings, misjudgements, errors and then attempts to cover up the errors to make everything seem perfect on the surface, it all piles up.

The story is told in a very objective, almost mechanical fashion, almost in the style of a casebook or police report, a contrast to the increasingly violent and horror-filled events of the narrative. Not going to forget this soon.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    Just finished another graphic novel on the Hugo nominations list - The Vision, Volume 1: Little Worse Than A Man, written by Tom King, and illustrated by Gabriel Hernandez Walta

I had never really been aware of a superhero named Vision before reading this. The IMDB says he was in the recent Avengers films, and now that i think of it i sort of remember him, but I guess my attention slid right over him at the tine in favour of the superheroes I did know.

In any case, this is an excellently written and deeply frightening graphic story - I want to know how it ends, but I'm not sure I want to read any more of it. Vision, apparently, is an artificial life form created with the use of the brainwaves of a real human being. At one point he had a human wife and children, but they died, so he has made himself a synthetic family to replace them, and moved them into a nice middle-class suburban neighbourhood. And just as sure as if this were a Steven King novel about death and hubris, things go horribly, horribly wrong. Small mistakes and misunderstandings, misjudgements, errors and then attempts to cover up the errors to make everything seem perfect on the surface, it all piles up.

The story is told in a very objective, almost mechanical fashion, almost in the style of a casebook or police report, a contrast to the increasingly violent and horror-filled events of the narrative. Not going to forget this soon.
    That sounds intriguing
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

I don't know how to read
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.