Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Photo Competition v2: Round 2

Among your myelinating glia-oligodendrocytes

Default Digital Photo Competition v2: Round 2

Digital Photo Competition v2: Round 1

Round 2's theme will be:

Street Art

Here's the fine print:

Pictures are to be submitted to Bella via PM. Pictures should be hosted online, using a website such as Photobucket, imageshack, tinypic, imgur, etc. I'd like the voting to remain anonymous so please don't upload your pictures directly to the forum.

The deadline for submission of entries will be June 16th, 12 noon EST.

After all photos have been received, I will post a public poll where the forum users can vote for their favorite. The winner of the poll wins the round!

And just so we're clear...
    - Photos MUST be original work. This is not a competition of who can google the best pic.
    - You may submit old photos, or newly taken ones - the timescale doesn't matter.
    - Photoshopping pictures is NOT allowed. The ONLY exception to this is that images may be cropped and/or resized and/or rotated for uploading. Any other visual edits are not allowed.
    - You may submit up to two entries per round. This is to try and aid competition, and to help those who can't decide which photo to submit!

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

I'm pre-emptively voting for Blazin1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    OMG, Wodey found a woman who agrees with him. He must be right, cos all women are always right all the time.

I call fowl,What happens when you live in the middle of no where and there is no street art,Except maybe on a passing train.Your contest is limited to people who live in urban areas or at least close to them

Quote Originally Posted by RobinLocks View Post
    You want us to document illegal activity, or perform it ourselves for Travian gold? o.O
    No Robin, I don't believe anyone is asking you to go out and tag something.

Quote Originally Posted by Precious bunny View Post
    I call fowl,What happens when you live in the middle of no where and there is no street art,Except maybe on a passing train.Your contest is limited to people who live in urban areas or at least close to them
    Or visited an area that has some. The picture doesn't have to be current, just one that you've taken.

It's a shame you didn't participate in the last round. Living out in the middle of no where I bet you could have gotten some interesting pictures to contribute to the "spring" round.

But Belllalalalalala, I just got new Crayola Washable Spray for the summerrrrrrrrrrr.
    If it's washable spray and your own sidewalk, I'm not sure it's illegal.

I would have but as we still had snow didnt think that was very spring like

You want us to document illegal activity, or perform it ourselves for Travian gold? o.O
    I'll buy the spray paint!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    OMG, Wodey found a woman who agrees with him. He must be right, cos all women are always right all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I'll buy the spray paint!
    I totally tagged these myself and didn't do a google search of "best graffiti" and was too lazy to save, rename, and upload to mah photobucket:

Can I haz gold?

On a side note, Bella do you Tineye any of these pictures submitted?

-Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

I might actually have to go take some pics for this one. This area has a lot of street art, both the illegal and fully sanctioned type.

<@Josh> I was pretending to be Harry Potter and I did the broomstick thing wrong

Quote Originally Posted by myrcat View Post
    I might actually have to go take some pics for this one. This area has a lot of street art, both the illegal and fully sanctioned type.
    I already used my two favourites that I've taken for this thread/round.

I tried tiny eye before and it didnt find the pictures I ripped. Maybe it doesn't search very hard

Now I'm wishing I'd have taken photos of some I'd seen using chalk on the streets of Melbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan Crane
    Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Precious bunny View Post
    I call fowl

???

Quote Originally Posted by myrcat View Post
    DOOOOO IT!!!

The city has actually become favorable of it, just ummm, go during the day... Chicano Park, the interior stairway of Mandeville in UCSD for visual art and likewise the stairway in Muir for poetry, written works, anonymous secrets by students etc.... 11th and broadway, india street and east village to give out some pointers.

Hard to find street art around here. But there are a few pieces by Emily Carr Students under the Burrard Bridge. Maybe I'll take a few of those.

This is completely unfair to those of us who live in the country. "Street art" around here is another damn honeysuckle bush popping up next to my hydrangea. It is both illegal and a pain to remove.
    Eb0l is the alpha and the omega
    The eternal pumpkin queen, and mother of gerbils
    So it was written and so it must forever be

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    This is completely unfair to those of us who live in the country. "Street art" around here is another damn honeysuckle bush popping up next to my hydrangea. It is both illegal and a pain to remove.
    Honeysuckle bushes are illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    Honeysuckle bushes are illegal?
    In my yard right next to my new hydrangea? Yes, very very illegal.

I put the hydrangea in recently, after I cleared the area at the end of my driveway of weeds and honeysuckles. I thought I got all the honeysuckle roots but oh no, it keeps coming back. Now the hydrangea is doing well and finally put out new leaves. I was worried I was going to lose that baby. But the only way to keep the honeysuckle away at this point is to dig the hydr back up, disturbing it's root system, really tear up that spot searching for all remaining honeysuckle roots and hope the hydr doesn't die when I put it back in. Option B is keep cutting down the ones that pop up.

tl;dr: honeysuckles are illegal

Lol. If someone takes the time to put out a Wall of Text, I will have the courtesy to read it. Besides, I learned something in your post Ms. Evil.

Photographing public art of all types was on my summer fun list and street art was included in that.

I'm so gonna win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    I'm not very bright.

I found some redneck street art, I'll post it here in a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

I found some redneck street art, I'll post it here in a bit.
    You should PM it to Bella, that way our votes for it will actually count.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacana View Post
    You should PM it to Bella, that way our votes for it will actually count.
    You mods would love to see that... I'm no jive *** conformist.
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    I thought I got all the honeysuckle roots but oh no, it keeps coming back.
    I don't know if it'll work with *honeysuckles*... but something that has worked for me in the past with persistent vines, plants, bushes, etc, where I can't get the roots completely out is copper nails. Anything that pokes above ground, get a nice clean cut, and put in some copper nails (or even copper plated nails). That branch/vine should stop growing, and shouldn't develop any new sprouts. Of course, if a few more poke out from roots later, do the same thing to them too, til you've got enough copper in the thing to prevent it from growing any more.
    Last edited by jason_kroeker; 06-10-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: mistyped... now corrected

You mods would love to see that... I'm no jive *** conformist.
    Learn to conform, things will be much more pleasant...become a Stepford poster.

(you know they just want you to pm them so they can mine personal information from your pm and then do a brain tap.)

Quote Originally Posted by jason_kroeker View Post
    I don't know if it'll work with hydrangeas... but something that has worked for me in the past with persistent vines, plants, bushes, etc, where I can't get the roots completely out is copper nails. Anything that pokes above ground, get a nice clean cut, and put in some copper nails (or even copper plated nails). That branch/vine should stop growing, and shouldn't develop any new sprouts. Of course, if a few more poke out from roots later, do the same thing to them too, til you've got enough copper in the thing to prevent it from growing any more.
    Ms Evil is looking to save the sweet innocent hydrangea from the horrible grasping clutches of the honeysuckle.
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

Quote Originally Posted by Flossie Schmumpus View Post
    Ms Evil is looking to save the sweet innocent hydrangea from the horrible grasping clutches of the honeysuckle.
    Shhhh! I would have laughed when she emoraged about the hydrangea dying from copper poisoning!

Quote Originally Posted by jason_kroeker View Post
    I don't know if it'll work with hydrangeas... but something that has worked for me in the past with persistent vines, plants, bushes, etc, where I can't get the roots completely out is copper nails. Anything that pokes above ground, get a nice clean cut, and put in some copper nails (or even copper plated nails). That branch/vine should stop growing, and shouldn't develop any new sprouts. Of course, if a few more poke out from roots later, do the same thing to them too, til you've got enough copper in the thing to prevent it from growing any more.
    I may have to nail up the honeysuckle. Thank you!!!!

and for more ideas around the area, this floral art is located off of 11th and G Street. Not the girl! That could go so wrong...

Consul

Fess up...you just wanted to show off your girl, didn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    Fess up...you just wanted to show off your girl, didn't you?

No just friends, she's a really fun person to be around.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    she's a really fun person to be around.
    I can tell by her fun bags.

Tick-tock! Only 6 more days to get your entries submitted!

unfortunately i didnt have my camera with me when we went to the vivid festival in sydney this weekend. buildings decorated/painted with light or the sydney opera house used as a canvas make for incredible street art.

and no these not mine, just wanted to share the vision.
    us1rd4 Shakin&Bakin | us2rd3 DarkFather Dual #665 | us6rd1 NoMercy | us9rd1 NotAMyth (sorceys raid slave and sandwich maker)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drummit View Post
    What the pineappleh's going on, and where are my reins?

Occasionally worshipped by Mitachuk, Hej and Vigil
    and most important Sprouts friend

Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    unfortunately i didnt have my camera with me when we went to the vivid festival in sydney this weekend. buildings decorated/painted with light or the sydney opera house used as a canvas make for incredible street art.

Nice!

So I take it that the best time to visit Sydney is in June? I love that, it's things that you wouldn't know unless you're there, Pineh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post

Now THAT is a great artistic gesture. That was obviously commissioned, but always great to see artists being allowed to create artwork on public buildings. I would assume that to get back to the original state of the buildings, the paint/application could be removed with no harm to the structure itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Nice!

So I take it that the best time to visit Sydney is in June? I love that, it's things that you wouldn't know unless you're there, Pineh!!!
    Everyone in Sidney is trippin' balls in June.

Quote Originally Posted by 5m4llP0X View Post
    Everyone in Sidney is trippin' balls in June.
    If you slang it right, you can get your trip paid for.

Selling some peyote stuffed in tacos to make a few bones, might pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by kabooja View Post
    Now THAT is a great artistic gesture. That was obviously commissioned, but always great to see artists being allowed to create artwork on public buildings. I would assume that to get back to the original state of the buildings, the paint/application could be removed with no harm to the structure itself.
    I think it's projected onto the Opera House and the other display, hmm maybe multiple mediums.

Quote Originally Posted by kabooja View Post
    If I understand it correctly, it is all done with lights

http://www.vividsydney.com

Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

Is commissioned stuff still considered street art? If so where does it end? Is the Arc D'Triumph street art?

P.S. looks really very cool Pine.