View Poll Results: Is it OK for a spy to launch a hammer of the person he sits for as raid at an ally?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definately! ABSOLUTELY!!! Fool for having a sitter!

5 14.71%
  • Yes

4 11.76%
  • only in a very few, very very specific situations!

1 2.94%
  • No

8 23.53%
  • Are you out of your mind???? No way!!!

4 11.76%
  • Betty White thinks you are SCUM for it!!

12 35.29%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When does spying go too far?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    The only issue I have with the whole "only let people who you know sit you" idea is that first time players don't have that option.
    ^
    This. The game has some pretty hard lessons to be learned by n00bs. I was lucky and convinced a few friends to smoke crack... um... play with me and we covered each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

Indeed, but he used far more irritating fonts.
    Nowai, rainbow font is totally better

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    S6R1 - Coffeene/Moop
    Still a number of 'ol' timers' that are still around that were there.
    It was pretty lulzy though Also, if I remember right... It was like Kami+GoW+Brew vs some newbs So they totally would've lost anyways
    *somethingsomethinglegaldisclaimer*
    Modzing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    I'm not really a girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flossie Schmumpus View Post
    No, Flossie was naughty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    I am feeling naughty
    Quote Originally Posted by Flossie Schmumpus View Post
    Mmmmm, good enough to make me want to stop being a good girl.
    ****It's fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by Woden View Post
    ^ Note the lack of capitalization.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post

Here is my example for today:

Spy gets caught. Before alliance member/sittee logs on, Spy launches the hammer of alliance member that he sits for as a raid into the alliance's WW ... thus killing a 100k hammer and killing troops in the WW. That player spent 9 months time, a lot of effort, and real money to buy gold on that account/hammer. Is this ok????

Has spying gone too far??

Seriously wondering what others think.....
    My feeling is that spies are a part of war and thus a part of a war game. All is fair in war, anything goes, but this is why I would never be in an alliance that requires my account to have a "sitter from within the alliance". If you are running an alliance like that, i can guarantee you that you are riddled with spies.

There is a reason that only one or two people were ever allowed to sit dropBear, Firefly etc. even then, they were not permanent sitters. They would only be on for the short time necessary and then removed.

I feel bad for the person that worked so hard, but on the flip they were foolish to trust so blindly.

As the saying goes ~ just because I am paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ECH0 View Post
    Who do you think is the greatest dual?
    Quote Originally Posted by unbalanced View Post
    ~CC End of discussion
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want to do. ~ Calvin & Hobbes
    Quote Originally Posted by Screaming Jelly Baby View Post
    Yes, I am a bit of a Geek when it comes to these sorts of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by unbalanced View Post
    Geek/nerd but wouldn't have you any other way.
    ~FIGJAM~
    smrat & happy

US1R5 ~ Just some useful information US1R4 ~ The link says it all & US1R4 Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
    Were you aware that Kill spazm was pumping intel to every alliance on the server? yes

Did you do anything to stop it? no

and by the way..... the alliance you were in was WP&C.

Besides, i'm more interested in how people think about spying in general.... and the boundaries / ethics... than YOU specifically :P
    I was the person responsible for the majority of the intel passed along through MMs. When you send out a list of fakes...you should always change the fakes between 5 players. Noob mistake on your part. Sending out a general MM asking people to fake this villages based on birthdays...only requires a little time to figure out the real target. Bad planning on the O coordinator. That and then this...once you do one gag...you don't repeat the same gag. You have to do something different. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by 5m4llP0X View Post
    All is fair in love and war.
    Amen to this. Spy or not...the account holder is responsible for all actions taken by the account. If the account holder has someone in place that they do not trust 125% that's on them. I don't care if someone spent 8 years building a hammer and feeding it. It's their fault if it gets killed. Don't blame the spy for doing what he is supposed to do. A spy's job is to handle information to his side...whether it be one alliance or multiple...AND sabotage alliance trust and if need be alliance assets. Morally wrong...sure...but this is a war game and as such you take the risk knowing full well that you could be the target of sabotage. I've had my hammer sent to a WW before without permission. Heck, I've even had my hammer starved quite a bit trusting sitters to do it right. I'm responsible for those mistakes. No one else but me. Sitters or not.

Quote Originally Posted by IsleofWrath View Post
    There are a number of functions the game has in to stop sitter abuse.

Yes I think suiciding someone else s hammer is unethical, hence why I've passed on the opportunity many times.
    Shining example of someone taking proper precautions!!! Love you TD!!!

Kimmay rage thread!
    Love when Kurtz is trolling...means he ain't arguing with me about how his Communistic ways are better than good ole fashion American values!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IsleofWrath View Post
    I think everyone forgets far too quickly its a game. If you are that invested that any of these things are life shattering you need to take a good look at yourself.

If you aren't having fun do something else. If you are worried about spies teach people.
    TD is sooooooo right!!! If you ain't having fun...get-sa-steppin'!!! Yeah there are stressful times...but it happens. Roll on or in most cases...roll off!!
    It ain't easy bein' CHEEZIEEEEE!!!!

s4 ask and I might tell...
    s1 Xe Services LLC Natar Win!! H&Kers!!! HuggleBearshttp://forum.travian.us/showthread.p...59#post2439359
    s1 Kill Spazm(helping destory the fail that is Kimmie)
    US3rd3: Ruffles - The Legendary BG7
    http://travian-reports.net/us/report/609537a16e0

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezie View Post

TD is sooooooo right!!! If you ain't having fun...get-sa-steppin'!!! Yeah there are stressful times...but it happens. Roll on or in most cases...roll off!!
    Jimmy will roll over in his grave. People saying i'm right around here.
    I may not like you, but I do know that you're good at this game
    S1R4 - ISLEOFWRATH - So much for not lasting a week here. #2 Pop
    S1R5 - TYLER DURDEN - NATAR WIN! 75 Villages Chiefed Oh look we won.
    S1R6 - TMNT - Fiercest Commander Say What!#1 Attacker.

Some other stuff I've written.

Spying can never go to far. Even IRL.

Well as a new member to the S1 scene I was not immediately welcomed with open arms. Having never played on this sever which has a huge forum presence and being unknown I was out propaganda'd via the forums. That was new ground for me to be winning the war(subject to opinion) but losing ground publicly via blown up facts and chewed up number crunchers was very frustrating.

Flash forward to the next round I wanted to play annoynomously just as my enemy from last round did. I made it into their alliance moved up to offensive coordinator and started to take some pride in the power these guys possessed which was now at my finger tips. Due to some IP address issues and some friends 'leaking intel' I was discovered not for my forum persona but as a 'spy'. I was stripped of my command and then segregated from any responsiblity. But I'm not here to complain about old news, just give my opinion as a supposed alleged spy.

Be a good decent human being and even an enemy will respect you! That is what I did, even though I was in the belly of the 'beast' I found good warm and kind people that I truly cared about. It was very rough to be seperated from them...

So now if I did find a spy, I myself would applaud them on their ability to infiltrate and play the game as it is intended. Spies run very close to breaking the rules. It's part of the game and no where in the rules does it say 'though shalt not lie, make people like you then stab them in the back'

This happens all the time in real life! Just think and ask yourself, what can I do better next time to not get stabbed in the back? By the way my S1 spycapades was the most fun I've had in years! Fighting the best players on the servers and losing is better then fighting a wet paper bag of an alliance

Here here El Che
    It ain't easy bein' CHEEZIEEEEE!!!!

s4 ask and I might tell...
    s1 Xe Services LLC Natar Win!! H&Kers!!! HuggleBearshttp://forum.travian.us/showthread.p...59#post2439359
    s1 Kill Spazm(helping destory the fail that is Kimmie)
    US3rd3: Ruffles - The Legendary BG7
    http://travian-reports.net/us/report/609537a16e0

Hehe, you did well El Che. If it hadn't been known you were around you might not have been found. We IP check and various other spy check methods like rabid dogs. You got an interesting look in to our side of things and can attest that we're not bad people at all! Just passionate! As you mentioned about the forum personalities, S1 is definitely as strong as they come lol.

As for spying, it comes in all shapes and forms. To think that it has grown to be this horrendous beast and it never happened at the beginning is anything but true. Has it evolved? Yes. Has it worsened? Yes, but only because as time goes on people find bigger, grander ways to do the same task. Much like the "Natar Win" route has evolved. Is sending someone's army off crappy? Sure. But it is a risk you take in a GAME that we play. Even Travian has come a long way in the options they provide for sitter capabilities recognizing these types of things do happen.

Spying and searching out spies is an integral part of the landscape in Travian. It's a "war" game and having intelligence and finding means to hurt the enemy is part of that. Moral compass? Sure. But not everyone plays with one and even those who claim they do should be able to reflect back on their play and come to terms that they didn't always play with a proper moral compass. Just a matter of the degree to which you traverse away from it.
    http://forum.travian.us/picture.php?...pictureid=3484

US1R1 - Ravin, Leader of EAST and the server winning TM Meta with Aquias
    US1R2 - Ravin, Co-leader of RBoL, a mess of a server
    US1R3 - FSM, DSP Diplomat
    US6R1 - Xinar, solo grunt in KGB
    US7R1 - Pinky&theBrain, Co-leader of Gemini with Aquias, server winning alliance