Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 120 of 218

Thread: Travian 5

  1. #81

    Default

    Terrain would be a lot of work for very little change. Sure it would matter if you were attacking someone five tiles away and had to walk an extra four tile around a mountain. But most attacks are a lot further than five tiles. And at long distances its just going to add 5-10% to the travel time. Additionaly it would take server time to actually calculate the most efficient path for every troop movement, adding to lag for everyone.

    As for out of tribe chiefing, I don't see it mattering much for offense. Sure it means a Teuton could pick up a village from a gallic ally to run a ghost hammer, but is that really any different from that ally building a ghost hammer? Defensively I could certainly see anvils running a mixture of praet and spear villages. Just to add some confusion to the matter, if I am a Teuton with a roman village, does that village make chiefs or senators? And if that roman village then chiefs a Gallic village, what tribes could it choose from?
    S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

  2. #82
    Villager Poblano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Diminish the ability of Teuton merchant size and Gaul merchant speed, then add a new race that concentrates on better merchant abilities [like maybe twice as many merchants and double speed]. That new race would also be strengthened by scouting [maybe give scouting more power in the new version], perhaps scouts that can raid or scout more than what the other races are able to see. I feel scouting and marketing is the untouched portion of the game.

    Add top trading to the top 10 lists. Make it not to where we see the top 10's profit from trades, but the top 10 players that bring in the most via trades [so if you're profiting you'll probably still be on the top, but a 1000 wood for 1000 wheat trade would still register as adding 1000 to your trading rank total].

    Add more functionality to the marketplace: allow players to set trades with gold club that automatically get set up once you have the resources and the free merchant(s) to do so. Be able to go back and see which trades you've made with which players rather than having to search through thousands of reports in your reports inbox [raiders have a hard time keeping track of trading]. This would allow people to work out trade agreements and see who is trading with them more.

  3. #83
    Consul Kurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The land of the ice and snow
    Posts
    24,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poblano View Post
    Add top trading to the top 10 lists. Make it not to where we see the top 10's profit from trades, but the top 10 players that bring in the most via trades [so if you're profiting you'll probably still be on the top, but a 1000 wood for 1000 wheat trade would still register as adding 1000 to your trading rank total].
    Disagree mostly, but agree somewhat.

    What I'd love is for market trades (at a profit) to be added to raid income. I generally make a hell of a lot more trading early on than I do raiding.

    Although I do like staying anon somewhat, so errr....

  4. #84
    Philosopher cofc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Back to Oz.
    Posts
    4,246

    Default

    If you are going to add anything to the top 10 add most population destroyed.

  5. #85
    lethaljimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hoth
    Posts
    1,787

    Default

    Adding in pop damage to a stat line would be awesome.

    And wtf. I got derped for putting in my ideas. Seriously? This is not a warfare tactic in here and I am not promoting anything just putting in ideas. Lighten up already.

  6. #86
    Consul Kurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The land of the ice and snow
    Posts
    24,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lethaljimmy View Post
    Adding in pop damage to a stat line would be awesome.
    Very much so! Including chiefed pop.

    I would also vote for troops poofed by chiefings to be added in as part of your offensive ranking.

  7. #87

    Dan Chak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Syracuse, baby!
    Posts
    8,063

    Default

    And Dragons. Add Dragons. Because yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

  8. #88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    I would also vote for troops poofed by chiefings to be added in as part of your offensive ranking.
    I would vote for offensive scouts killed be included in your defense ranking.
    S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

  9. #89
    Philosopher cooper316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ginaz
    Posts
    1,739

    Default

    I second (or third) the pop loss, chiefing troop loss things.

    Also,
    "And how can this be?!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XBHL...eature=related

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Either that, or he needs to beat your other wings' recruiters and diplomats over the head with a burlap sack full of dead babies. Frozen dead babies, so it hurts more.
    George Carlin on Global Warming:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjmtSkl53h4

    .US4 - Subject to Change
    .US9 - Sorcey's Forcey

  10. #90
    Villager
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    I live in suspended animation
    Posts
    53

    Default

    1. Add a 'add farm' button on villages in the map section or report section. (pain in the buns to add multiple farms via typing in coords and probably why so many use those things they are not supposed to use.)

    2. Remove Hero items such as art (make this a game of skill again and not a game of money. People used to know the formula's for the Armory and Black Smith and they were skilled. With the auction you have created a whole new black market for silver that s**** donkey b*lls.)

    3. In fact remove silver and figure something else out. (Maybe when you attack someone you get a bronze coin you can use in the auction. Just, for the love of God, change the auction section so we can diminish the cheaters.)

    4. Please Please Please restrict country server to that specific country if you can. (A lot of good people have left due to foreign invasion)

    5. If there has to be an invasion then make a server that is country specific. (US vs Russia server, now wouldn't that be fun?)

    6. Stop the cheaters!!! Make them work for their account they will appreciate it more and you will attract new people who will stay again.

    7. Make a 'vacation' setting on long servers. Where the account goes into vacation mode, stops completely, everything freezes until they come back. Only allow 1 week worth of vacation mode. An account can't go into vacation mode when being attacked or attacking. (If this is feasible)

    8. Fix map so I can right click on village and open in new tab without a popup.

    9. Maybe you should just go back to 3.6 and revamp that?

    10. Figure out how to detect TMbot, there is no possible way someone can raid 72058895 in a week using the farm list and typing all those coords into the farm list. Unless they are truly hopelessly stuck in the basement and jobless. And still then it's almost next to impossible.

    11. What's with these new red rings of autobot accounts? How do you stop those? Please stop those somehow!! My minimap looks like a shooting target from the range.

    12. Remove animal capture so the zoo keepers village won't be so pungent as the troops pass by.

    13. Just revert back to a game of skill instead of 'who ever puts out the most money wins'. (You don't want people to cheat for a reason, to make game play more equal, but you have inadvertently created the same cheating methods as long as the player spends loads of money.)

    I can't wait to see the responses I get from this.

    QB
    Last edited by pondfrog; 08-30-2013 at 01:10 AM.

  11. #91
    Philosopher MokMonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    home
    Posts
    7,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lethaljimmy View Post
    - Add in some sound. It would be good to have some sounds in starting a building or completing a quest.
    Meh. It really doesn't add anything to the gameplay and I fear they'd add some "spriong" sound every time you send out an attack, further slowing down the ability to get cats in the same second.

    - A new tribe: This has been talked about but I have no ideas on the tribe or what it would be nor have I seen any real suggestions but this is a popular comment.
    Something new is needed, yes.

    - Map changes
    Too messy. Calculating a follow-home is already very difficult due to the different maps that heroes have and unknown TS sizes. Doing so with obstacles will be impossible.

    -Interactive map: features that show you where your merchants or troops are at. Even if they are just dots.
    And other than lag, this would add...?

    -Artifacts: I think it would be interesting if they were slightly hidden and had to be searched and found over the course of the server.
    ONLY if there was some easier way to move an artifact. Otherwise if I get the large builder arti (or whichever) and don't want it I'm out 3.5M resources for the lvl 20 TC + whatever I lost in troops to capture it. That's not acceptable.

    -Quests: These could be more informative and teach players to see the length of the server and not just the first few days.
    Yes. But not in quests. Travian needs a tutorial or even some sort of tutorial server.

    -Statistics: It would be nice to see an over all confend statistics.
    Meh. Stop zerging and it becomes pretty easy to see your alliance stats.

    Some better tracking and drill downs on stats would be nice as well as adding in an over all raiding total
    I would like to be able to see the server-long raiding stats.

    Quote Originally Posted by Precious bunny View Post
    When chiefing a village give us the option of keeping it the tribe it was when chiefed.
    I disagree strongly with this, for the reasons mentioned by leseyk (I think... too lazy to go back and look)

    Quote Originally Posted by Poblano View Post
    Diminish the ability of Teuton merchant size and Gaul merchant speed, then add a new race that concentrates on better merchant abilities
    First of all, Teuton merch already suck b/c f their speed.
    Second, for the most part, people don't use the markets anymore, making a tribe who has merchant advantages into an incredibly weak one.

    Add top trading to the top 10 lists.
    For most traded? Shipped? Profit?
    IMO, those would be worth less than a climber's medal. They do have the art done for them already, though. I suspect they never implemented b/c it never seemed to be something most people cared about.

    Be able to go back and see which trades you've made with which players rather than having to search through thousands of reports in your reports inbox [raiders have a hard time keeping track of trading].
    Just filter your reports by the trade tab.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    I would also vote for troops poofed by chiefings to be added in as part of your offensive ranking.
    The problem with adding these to your stats is that you're not killing those troops -- they just retire since they have no CO anymore.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tineren View Post
    I would vote for offensive scouts killed be included in your defense ranking.
    I'm on the fence on this one. As there is really no risk to you from being scouted, it doesn't seem fair that you can get defensive points this way. But... you are feeding your scouts for a reason and they are killing the enemy...
    MokMonster does not support, condone or agree with anything written in this post.
    Any suggestions to the contrary are purely unintentional.
    (Unless you agreed with it -- then I totally said it)

  12. #92
    Philosopher cooper316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ginaz
    Posts
    1,739

    Default

    With all of these forum outages, perhaps a Mongol tribe would be appropriate. Their skill could be hacking.
    "And how can this be?!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XBHL...eature=related

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Either that, or he needs to beat your other wings' recruiters and diplomats over the head with a burlap sack full of dead babies. Frozen dead babies, so it hurts more.
    George Carlin on Global Warming:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjmtSkl53h4

    .US4 - Subject to Change
    .US9 - Sorcey's Forcey

  13. #93
    Consul Kurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The land of the ice and snow
    Posts
    24,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MokMonster View Post
    Meh. It really doesn't add anything to the gameplay and I fear they'd add some "spriong" sound every time you send out an attack, further slowing down the ability to get cats in the same second.
    It wouldn't be too bad if it were when buildings were finished. Just so you can do something else while simming up feeders and get reminded to come back.

    Quote Originally Posted by pondfrog View Post
    1. Add a 'add farm' button on villages in the map section or report section. (pain in the buns to add multiple farms via typing in coords and probably why so many use those things they are not supposed to use.)
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by pondfrog View Post
    2. Remove Hero items such as art (make this a game of skill again and not a game of money. People used to know the formula's for the Armory and Black Smith and they were skilled. With the auction you have created a whole new black market for silver that s**** donkey b*lls.)

    3. In fact remove silver and figure something else out. (Maybe when you attack someone you get a bronze coin you can use in the auction. Just, for the love of God, change the auction section so we can diminish the cheaters.)
    Will never happen and allows people with little money to get a fair few advantages to be honest. Wheat bonus for example.

    Quote Originally Posted by pondfrog View Post
    4. Please Please Please restrict country server to that specific country if you can. (A lot of good people have left due to foreign invasion)
    So all the European, Asian and Australian duals people have won't be able to play?

    Quote Originally Posted by pondfrog View Post
    5. If there has to be an invasion then make a server that is country specific. (US vs Russia server, now wouldn't that be fun?)
    You can set that up yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by pondfrog View Post
    6. Stop the cheaters!!! Make them work for their account they will appreciate it more and you will attract new people who will stay again.
    There really are not that many of them. I've been #1 raider many times before and have certainly never cheated.

    Quote Originally Posted by pondfrog View Post
    7. Make a 'vacation' setting on long servers. Where the account goes into vacation mode, stops completely, everything freezes until they come back. Only allow 1 week worth of vacation mode. An account can't go into vacation mode when being attacked or attacking. (If this is feasible)
    That would be nice. You could even make it so that any attacks incoming/ outgoing land anyway or have a 5 day countdown until the setting comes into effect or some such. Just to prevent abuse.

    Quote Originally Posted by pondfrog View Post
    8. Fix map so I can right click on village and open in new tab without a popup.
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by pondfrog View Post
    9. Maybe you should just go back to 3.6 and revamp that?
    Will never happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by pondfrog View Post
    10. Figure out how to detect TMbot, there is no possible way someone can raid 72058895 in a week using the farm list and typing all those coords into the farm list. Unless they are truly hopelessly stuck in the basement and jobless. And still then it's almost next to impossible.
    Get a dual or 3. You can raid billions easily. And legally to boot.

    Quote Originally Posted by pondfrog View Post
    11. What's with these new red rings of autobot accounts? How do you stop those? Please stop those somehow!! My minimap looks like a shooting target from the range.
    What rings?

    Quote Originally Posted by pondfrog View Post
    12. Remove animal capture so the zoo keepers village won't be so pungent as the troops pass by.
    Silly.

    Quote Originally Posted by pondfrog View Post
    13. Just revert back to a game of skill instead of 'who ever puts out the most money wins'. (You don't want people to cheat for a reason, to make game play more equal, but you have inadvertently created the same cheating methods as long as the player spends loads of money.)
    It still is a game of skill. I know enough people that spend loads and get beaten the snot out of to know that. Not to mention the people that spend very little, but are amazing.

  14. #94
    Philosopher MokMonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    home
    Posts
    7,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    It wouldn't be too bad if it were when buildings were finished. Just so you can do something else while simming up feeders and get reminded to come back.
    If they keep it like that, fine. But will it still ding from town #14 when you have #3 active?

    I'd rather they give us the option to use the info box for that.
    Something like a check box for when you upgrade a building/field that says, "notify me when finished" and it leaves a reminder in (the otherwise useless and annoying) info box.
    In fact, add ^ this. That would be useful!

    Quote Originally Posted by pondfrog View Post
    1. Add a 'add farm' button on villages in the map section or report section
    Already been mentioned, but yes.

    2. Remove Hero items such as art
    The art doesn't really change early game that much. You still need to have the economy set up to support a residence/palace to 10 along with dropping 60k for 3 settlers. If you can easily afford that as one of the top raiders, then settling a day or 2 early isn't a big deal. And later in the game, it just makes for bigger accounts, not better ones.

    6. Stop the cheaters!!! Make them work for their account they will appreciate it more and you will attract new people who will stay again.
    Duh. They're working on it, and it is a constant battle. For the most part, they do pretty well.

    10. Figure out how to detect TMbot, there is no possible way someone can raid 72058895 in a week using the farm list and typing all those coords into the farm list. Unless they are truly hopelessly stuck in the basement and jobless. And still then it's almost next to impossible.
    Actually, it is surprisingly easy. I've been #1 raider for the week many times as well as #1 for the server. It takes some time to set up the lists, but once you have your farms, sending them out a few times a day isn't all that tough. Even pre-FL raiding that much was easy -- it just took a bit more time to set up your own lists.

    12. Remove animal capture so the zoo keepers village won't be so pungent as the troops pass by.
    I'd just like to see a limit on the # of animals 1 town can keep -- or add some sort of upkeep once 100 animals are present.

    13. Just revert back to a game of skill instead of 'who ever puts out the most money wins'.
    I had the #2 attacker, #3 hero, #8 defender and #5 account pop, all for a single $60 package (and 1 $25 package my sitter bought for me which was used (and then some) to support the WW next to my account). Skill (and time) will always beat $$. If you can't beat the guy next to you who is buying everything at auction, then you're just not good enough yet. (Of course, skill and $$ will beat skill alone -- but that's true in RL as well.)
    MokMonster does not support, condone or agree with anything written in this post.
    Any suggestions to the contrary are purely unintentional.
    (Unless you agreed with it -- then I totally said it)

  15. #95
    Tradesperson St.Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    521

    Default

    A minor suggestion to lessen big-spender advantage. Limit bucket resurrection to once per 24 hours for early game at least.

    One new server I killed one guy's hero 12 times in 3 days. 5 the first day. I got tired of dealing with it and quit that server. IIRC, At the time with what buckets were auctioning for, I figure this guy spent about $120-150, attacking me.

    One bucket use a day, would reduce this tactic of heroes being used by "poor" but rich players, as Kamikaze Tanks.

    STC
    Last edited by St.Christopher; 08-30-2013 at 04:44 PM.
    Retired (2-2) finished servers

    S1-GreatWhite-(Victory!)
    S2-STC
    S6-GhostRider/JB
    S7-Montross-r2(Victory!)/Crom-r3
    S8-Cyclops

  16. #96
    Philosopher MokMonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    home
    Posts
    7,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St.Christopher View Post
    A minor suggestion to lessen big-spender advantage. Limit bucket resurrection to once per 24 hours for early game at least.
    I'd be fully in favor of something like that.
    Decrease the duration as the server gets older.

    Or make it so that an attacking hero takes longer to resurrect via bucket than a defending one.
    There are too many ***hats with tons of silver who can afford to just continually ram themselves into your defenses until you lose the war, even while winning all of the battles.
    MokMonster does not support, condone or agree with anything written in this post.
    Any suggestions to the contrary are purely unintentional.
    (Unless you agreed with it -- then I totally said it)

  17. #97
    Consul Kurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The land of the ice and snow
    Posts
    24,821

    Default

    Actually the best way to use early game buckets is on oases.

  18. #98

  19. #99
    Philosopher jaruby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,591

    Default

    Game play......
    -allow capitals to have great granary or warehouse without arti
    -Put the values back on the parties
    -stop merchants like you can troops
    -do something about art and scrolls. Never happen but man I hate them.
    -add a 4th tribe.. no reason other than something new would be cool.
    -less graphic intense for mobile.. None of us play for the pretty pics. That's what graphic packs were for.
    -FINALLY------fix the endgame. PLEASE!!!

    Just stuff....
    -so easy i have no clue why this hasnt happened yet....keep totals of raiding like attack and def. no one cares about climbers anyway. Just put it there.
    -make the rally point sortable / searchable
    -add check boxes for mass editing to the raid lists so they are easier to move from villa to villa or delete.
    -put a "add to farm list" button on villas when you click on them
    -great seige?
    -why limit villas to 3 oasis?
    -have 7, 9 or 15 wood, clay and iron tiles like wheat
    -50% wood, clay or iron oasis.
    -no grey zone. Random WW villa was much better
    -This one seems tough but.... Keep stats on reinforcements you send
    1: RL, 2:jaruby, 3ika, 4:tabmaster, 5:ksd, 6:Noob Juice, 7:jabberwocky, 8:Mysteryman 9:Mel Gibson 10:morbid 11:had a daughter 12:FTW 13: morbid 14: NOOOO 15: infected 20: Thrawn 22: wtfdibrom 23: Ash Ketchum

    Mace are like bees... a few of them are easy to deal with but a swarm will kill you!!!

  20. #100
    Villager Poblano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MokMonster View Post

    First of all, Teuton merch already suck b/c f their speed.
    Second, for the most part, people don't use the markets anymore, making a tribe who has merchant advantages into an incredibly weak one.


    For most traded? Shipped? Profit?
    IMO, those would be worth less than a climber's medal. They do have the art done for them already, though. I suspect they never implemented b/c it never seemed to be something most people cared about.


    Just filter your reports by the trade tab.

    On s5 with 2 or 3 villages I was making 50-100 trades a day depending on how things were flowing. It would be better to have more information on how people are trading with me than a list of trades like that. People don't use the trade system as much because other areas have been emphasized in recent updates. That doesn't mean it's not profitable though.

  21. #101
    Philosopher LuckyGurrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere between good and evil
    Posts
    1,688

    Default

    Ok one of the objectives is to retain new players... Major problem with that is farming. Back in the early days you could make deals with your farmers and as long as you paid your taxes they were happy to let you be and even offer advice and help you along. So what about a game sanctioned vassalage? I'm kinda working through what exactly should be entailed but the idea would be that as long as both parties kept up their end of the deal then both would benefit... and as long as the vassalage continued neither could attack the other... maybe the "ruler" could get a little silver or bonus resources (besides the ones being paid by the vassal). This would at least give raiders a more legitimate reason to limit their raiding and the newbies would get to experience the game and maybe stick around. Right now it is more profitable to raid the newbies than to make a deal with them.
    or
    It's the luck of the draw.

  22. #102
    Tradesperson St.Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Probability Indigo View Post
    Ok one of the objectives is to retain new players... Major problem with that is farming. Back in the early days you could make deals with your farmers and as long as you paid your taxes they were happy to let you be and even offer advice and help you along. So what about a game sanctioned vassalage? I'm kinda working through what exactly should be entailed but the idea would be that as long as both parties kept up their end of the deal then both would benefit... and as long as the vassalage continued neither could attack the other... maybe the "ruler" could get a little silver or bonus resources (besides the ones being paid by the vassal). This would at least give raiders a more legitimate reason to limit their raiding and the newbies would get to experience the game and maybe stick around. Right now it is more profitable to raid the newbies than to make a deal with them.
    I got your "vassalage" right here.

    LOL! Nah, I think your idea allows the chance of too much cheating with accounts set up to benefit larger accounts. Beside there is already much vassalage going on in a manner of sorts, with the whole "training wing" confed scam and personal defenders, etc.

    New players need to learn "diplomacy", when dealing with mega-raiders and stone cold killers; If they don't, they die. If they do, many go on to be better players, leaders of winning alliances sometimes. The "dog eat dog" aspects of the game and learning how to deal with people, is one of the better parts of this game.

    STC
    Retired (2-2) finished servers

    S1-GreatWhite-(Victory!)
    S2-STC
    S6-GhostRider/JB
    S7-Montross-r2(Victory!)/Crom-r3
    S8-Cyclops

  23. #103

    Default

    t4 with 1/2 grey and 1/2 random ww and a TOON free server
    and where is the greater market place aleady

  24. #104
    Consul Kurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The land of the ice and snow
    Posts
    24,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard head View Post
    a TOON free server


    I can smell the "love" from here!

  25. #105
    Philosopher Marmot Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ponyville
    Posts
    1,755

    Default

    An honest question -- I never see any advertising for Travian as I surf the web, but that may just be me not looking in the right places for it. So, does anybody else out there see any ads for Travian? And if so, where?

  26. #106
    Consul Kurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The land of the ice and snow
    Posts
    24,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmot Man View Post
    An honest question -- I never see any advertising for Travian as I surf the web, but that may just be me not looking in the right places for it. So, does anybody else out there see any ads for Travian? And if so, where?
    Newp.

  27. #107
    Senator sugarbritches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    On top of Old Smoky
    Posts
    2,106

    Default

    I've never seen an ad for it. I found it by searching for free games I could play at work without downloading anything.


    <@Josh> I was pretending to be Harry Potter and I did the broomstick thing wrong

  28. #108

    Dan Chak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Syracuse, baby!
    Posts
    8,063

    Default

    Nope, only 'advertising' is the email they send me now for the new servers. I discovered Travian from a former co-worker.
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

  29. #109

    Default

    I *did* see an ad for it, somewhere, and I clicked it, and here I am... but that was over four years ago.
    - Carrie, retired HMH -

  30. #110
    Philosopher Marmot Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ponyville
    Posts
    1,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmswartz View Post
    I *did* see an ad for it, somewhere, and I clicked it, and here I am... but that was over four years ago.
    See, that's pretty much the same for me; I saw ads for it waaaay back when. Me and my friends had just discovered the board game Settlers of Catan, and seeing an ad for Travian, and liking how it seemed like a giant MMO version of it with armies added on, I found myself quickly addicted (as did also most of my friends, most of whom drifted away after finishing a round).

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    Newp.
    Quote Originally Posted by myrcat View Post
    I've never seen an ad for it. I found it by searching for free games I could play at work without downloading anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    Nope, only 'advertising' is the email they send me now for the new servers. I discovered Travian from a former co-worker.
    Then this is something that I think needs to be addressed. Call me silly, but if the biggest problem that the game seems to be facing is an ever dwindling player base, then Travian Games needs to figure out how to get an influx of new players into the game. And I don't see how that's possible without spreading the word through advertising.

    So, my suggestion for Travian 5 is this; if TG doesn't want to spend money to spread the word, make it easy for us to do so in game. From Youtube, to my fantasy football league, to Everquest 2 (the MMO I currently spend some time on), I see that they've integrated ways to share what you're doing on Twitter, Facebook, and other social media sites, quite often with just a single click on the mouse button. Settle or conquer a village? Earn a medal? Knocked down a WW? Help us to brag about our accomplishments, not just here in the forums, but to the world at large, and let us help increase Travian's presence through word of mouth.

  31. #111
    Retired Game Admin Fighter1405's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,602

    Default

    There definitely are still adverts around (I communicate with our marketing department every so often), but as far as I'm aware they are more targeted than they used to be. Purely speculation (not speaking for TG here), but the US is renowned to be a very experience market in which to advertise, so it may simply be that there are better rates of returns found by focusing advertising elsewhere.

    |Travian Manual|Forum Rules|Server Rules|
    "Veni, Vidi, Victus sum"

  32. #112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fighter1405 View Post
    There definitely are still adverts around (I communicate with our marketing department every so often), but as far as I'm aware they are more targeted than they used to be. Purely speculation (not speaking for TG here), but the US is renowned to be a very experience market in which to advertise, so it may simply be that there are better rates of returns found by focusing advertising elsewhere.
    Many advertise on Facebook and other internet sites. It seems to be the payoff is worth it for many other companies. I know it was an ad on a website that got me playing. Stuck at home during a blizzard meant I was surfing the web. And clicked and here I am. Others do the same. You have to advertise and get the word out to get new customers. And some one who is playing currently and is not happy with the game is not likely to recommend it to their friends.
    Ever wonder what happens when anvils get bored? Oops! http://gyazo.com/8a0b7655be4e244ce1cfd0b24130a7f1

  33. #113

    Default

    How about having a natar village send an occasional attack or two at the top 3 players or top 5 players?

  34. #114
    Philosopher cofc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Back to Oz.
    Posts
    4,246

    Default

    I will be number 6 and just hold back when that rule is applied.

  35. #115
    Philosopher MokMonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    home
    Posts
    7,928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St.Christopher View Post
    LOL! Nah, I think your idea allows the chance of too much cheating with accounts set up to benefit larger accounts. Beside there is already much vassalage going on in a manner of sorts, with the whole "training wing" confed scam and personal defenders, etc.
    I agree with the cheating aspect, but not the training wing part. Almost all of the training wings these days are just a spot to put the smaller players. There is very little training in most of them -- and when there is, it is the n00bs leading the newbs. My first proper server I ended up in a training wing and learned a lot b/c the main wing kept 1 or 2 top players there to lead and teach. And by "top" I mean they would have been some of the biggest accounts in the main wing. But I very rarely see any of that anymore, unless a top account gets annoyed/bored by their current alliance and starts their own wing -- usually in an effort to turn some mostly active farms into mostly active defender accounts.

    Quote Originally Posted by dmswartz View Post
    I *did* see an ad for it, somewhere, and I clicked it, and here I am... but that was over four years ago.
    ^this.
    I used to see ads from time to time, but can't remember the last time I actually saw one.
    MokMonster does not support, condone or agree with anything written in this post.
    Any suggestions to the contrary are purely unintentional.
    (Unless you agreed with it -- then I totally said it)

  36. #116

    Dan Chak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Syracuse, baby!
    Posts
    8,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cofc View Post
    I will be number 6 and just hold back when that rule is applied.
    Lazy welfare recipient.

    How about hero battles, man to man, woman to woman, whatever!
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

  37. #117
    Consul Kurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The land of the ice and snow
    Posts
    24,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    Lazy welfare recipient.

    How about hero battles, man to man, woman to woman, whatever!
    Mud wrestling!

  38. #118
    Philosopher cofc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Back to Oz.
    Posts
    4,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    Lazy welfare recipient.

    How about hero battles, man to man, woman to woman, whatever!
    That makes no sense.

    The attacker will almost always lose in a hero battle since you have to send them to a walled village. If not the Roman will always win, if not the person who spends the most on silver will win. Absolutely no skill involved.

  39. #119

    Dan Chak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Syracuse, baby!
    Posts
    8,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cofc View Post
    That makes no sense.

    The attacker will almost always lose in a hero battle since you have to send them to a walled village. If not the Roman will always win, if not the person who spends the most on silver will win. Absolutely no skill involved.
    All I'm doing on S2 right now is sending wheat to a WW and cooking defense troops. Tell me again about no skill being involved?
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

  40. #120
    Philosopher cofc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Back to Oz.
    Posts
    4,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    All I'm doing on S2 right now is sending wheat to a WW and cooking defense troops. Tell me again about no skill being involved?
    So you are an anvil?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •