Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes YOU proud of your Country?

Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    Diversity in pretty much everything: racial, economic, religious (or lack of), sexual orientation/preference, gender, etc. The US, being what it is, has been the beneficiary of cultural influences from all over the world.

If I had to pick something in my lifetime though, the first thing that comes to mind is the election of our first "black" president (because, you know, in the US he is black even if he is half-white). That was huge, regardless of how a person might view his performance as president.
    Diversity is good because it is good is circular.

There is nothing good or bad about electing the first black president, the first gay president, the first racist president, the first ugly president, the first anything president.

Consul

Quote Originally Posted by cofc View Post
    There is nothing good or bad about electing the first black president, the first gay president, the first racist president, the first ugly president, the first anything president.
    Your opinion is noted, but not shared.

The diversity we have here in the US, which is very likely unparalleled anywhere else in the world (possibly the UK comes close), is a positive thing.
    I suspect that Canada is every bit as diverse as the US.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

Quote Originally Posted by RobinLocks View Post
    I think given the general responses to you on this thread, it is you who failed to understand her audience. You can say anything at this point, and people will construe it in a negative manner, because they view you as such. Your overall attitude and personality leaves much to be desired for. It's almost as if you try constantly to walk the line, but your mass and ego just cant share such puny strings, and you fall each time. You constantly set people off because you cannot find a balance.

Just look at all the responses you're getting on the thread, sweetheart, and do yourself a favor, and reflect. How you portray yourself and approach people isn't gaining you many, if any, fans....and people listen and want to hold conversations with people whom they enjoy the company of. Perhaps it is for this reason that your threads go off topic, and result in you insulting and prodding at people until you get the responses that will satisfy your quest for attention.

Perhaps it is how often you're on the forums or browsing the net that is having negative effects on you. Why not take a bit of a break? Do some light exercise? Ask your kid how they're doing? Redye your hair to a color that looks attractive on a 40 year old woman? Work more, make $2,000 and donate it to starving children?

If you truly are trying to hold discussions with people, and aren't here to find something to tickle your **** to, I suggest you really reflect on how you approach your audience. As you tried to say, your medium is the message.
    One of the funniest INTERNET FORUM posts I've seen for a while. Beginning to think you might actually be someone with a sense of humor. Only a suspicion though. I need more evidence. Just like cofc being total troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotmilk View Post
    I'm sorry if I was unclear the first time, that was part of my "what I'm proud of". I live in a country, where I have the religious freedom to declare myself Jesus, and start an internet cult around that fact. I'm all for you starting a thread trying to get people to talk about their countries, but if you are just going to make creepy, weird, personal comments at me when I do, maybe you should just not respond. kthx
    OK, I get it, you DO have a sense of humor. Replying to me claiming to be god with a post about religious freedoms to create cults about being the son of god is almost detached enough to be an Australian attempt. I would have got it if you left the internet bit out though. Do we still need a discussion on your dress sense and communication skills?

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    Exactly why I tried to pin the convo to specific events.......
    Last edited by Rokchick; 10-26-2013 at 12:27 AM.
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    Exactly why I tried to pin the convo to specific events.......
    Except you brought up silly things like your prime minister had two x chromosomes.

You suspect wrong.

Your opinion is noted, but not shared.
    It isn't an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinLocks View Post
    *chuckles*
    Hush now, darling. Wouldn't want me thinking I've got your defenses up. Why be cross with me when i'm being nothing but polite?
    What defenses? I need none. 'Tis a medium of chocolate that I swim in as well. But I do prefer you now that I see you have a sense of humor.

Consul

Quote Originally Posted by cofc View Post
    It isn't an opinion.
    Of course it is. Now hush.

Philosopher Principal Brian Lewis's Avatar

OK, I get it, you DO have a sense of humor. Replying to me claiming to be god with a post about religious freedoms to create cults about being the son of god is almost detached enough to be an Australian attempt. I would have got it if you left the internet bit out though. Do we still need a discussion on your dress sense and communication skills?
    I'm confused about two things. For starters why would you think I don't have a sense of humor, if you knew me at all, you would know I'm hilarious. Two, I don't get why you think I'm joking. I literally have a cult of followers on Skype, so come at me other religions. And finally, please quit attempting to talk down to me, kthx.

For starters why would you think I don't have a sense of humor
    Mod.

I'm confused about two things. For starters why would you think I don't have a sense of humor, if you knew me at all, you would know I'm hilarious. Two, I don't get why you think I'm joking. I literally have a cult of followers on Skype, so come at me other religions. And finally, please quit attempting to talk down to me, kthx.
    He sent his missionaries at me and I accepted them joyfully
    OMG, Wodey found a woman who agrees with him. He must be right, cos all women are always right all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Can you paint with all the colors of the wind?
    Is your favorite color, clear?

PS I have no idea who FC is, and if Ebol did it before me, I will check the state of the universe carefully tonight.
    Eb0l did everything before you did.

Eb0l is the Alpha and the Omega.

What defenses? I need none. 'Tis a medium of chocolate that I swim in as well. But I do prefer you now that I see you have a sense of humor.
    Last edited by The Cat Goddess; 10-26-2013 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling of Eb0l
    TCG says... sign your -Rep, cowards. I don't -Rep people just because they -Rep me.
    The Dinosaur says: (img)Image removed (/img) http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/x...eSignature.png

Eb0l is the alpha and the omega
    The eternal pumpkin queen, and mother of gerbils

So it was written and so it must forever be
    OMG, Wodey found a woman who agrees with him. He must be right, cos all women are always right all the time.

And finally, please quit attempting to talk down to me, kthx.
    Get taller then. This cloud is quite high.

Jdurand, the very idea that your diversity is something to celebrate is a bit of a joke to me when you have such blatant and obvious divisions along racial lines there.

It would be something Canada could celebrate certainly though, but the US... meh... not really. At least not looking from the outside or from the multitude of times I've visited.

Even if you look at just whites only diversity it is obvious that there are obvious divisions which even after a century or 2 haven't been worked out. If anything it is something to lament. The obvious potential coupled with the way it has worked out. Especially given the fact that your northern neighbours have done so much better at doing the exact same thing in pretty much the same circumstances. Although I suppose you can say that they got a bit of a head start given the underground railroad and all that jazz.

Surely I don't need to tell you that racism in the US is alive and "well". The diversity you speak of would be impressive if it wasn't for that huge and obvious barrier to equality.

I literally have a cult of followers
    Being in this cult, I can vouch for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    when you have such blatant and obvious divisions along racial lines there.
    Not really, at least where I have lived/visited.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    You have obviously never been to LA nor NYC.

Being in this cult, I can vouch for this.

Detroit, 9 mile road. One side has all the whites. One side has all the blacks. They actually did a map series on this recently... see if I can find it...

http://demographics.coopercenter.org/DotMap/index.html
    That's the source data.

You can tell obvious areas that are segregated using that, so areas are much more segregated than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirveri View Post
    Detroit, 9 mile road. One side has all the whites. One side has all the blacks. They actually did a map series on this recently... see if I can find it...

That's the source data.

You can tell obvious areas that are segregated using that, so areas are much more segregated than others.
    Ooo try to find the map series, sounds interesting. I also generally I try to pretend Detroit isn't part of the US.

Ooo try to find the map series, sounds interesting. I also generally I try to pretend Detroit isn't part of the US.
    Which other bits of the US do you try to ignore?

It's just reprints of the map at the link I posted above...

That's the source data.

That's... amazing. Almost complete segregation in many parts of the country. Not just Detroit.

That's... amazing. Almost complete segregation in many parts of the country. Not just Detroit.
    And yet diversity is something to be proud of

On the other hand, you have Canada...

While I do agree there's racism in the US, trying to claim it's especially bad here is ridiculous on its face.

Look at the Shia & the Sunni. Look at the Japanese... or pretty-much any Asian country. Look at the treatment of the Romanii in Europe.

Racism isn't a "US problem", it's a "human problem".
    TCG says... sign your -Rep, cowards. I don't -Rep people just because they -Rep me.
    The Dinosaur says: (img)Image removed (/img) http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/x...eSignature.png

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat Goddess View Post
    While I do agree there's racism in the US, trying to claim it's especially bad here is ridiculous on its face.

Look at the Shia & the Sunni. Look at the Japanese... or pretty-much any Asian country. Look at the treatment of the Romanii in Europe.

Racism isn't a "US problem", it's a "human problem".
    The very idea that you're comparing yourself to 3rd world nations (Japan withstanding) just proves how desperate you are to make yourself look less crap.

The Roma in Europe do need more protection though. I will agree with that 100%. On the other hand given that they refuse to be tied to a single nation, then it isn't like it is anything like the same thing. I guess the only parallel you have in the US is the "illegals" working all your farms. Except that the Roma don't do agricultural work most of the time of course.

Oh come on Kurtz.

You know very well that racism is alive and well in Europe. Trying to sweep the Roma situation under the rug by saying "they refuse to be tied to a single nation" only shows your own nationalism shining through.

Anti-Muslim race riots happen in France all the time. There's sectarian violence in most countries of the former USSR right now. Religious intolerance runs rampant across the globe.

Oh come on Kurtz.

You know very well that racism is alive and well in Europe. Trying to sweep the Roma situation under the rug by saying "they refuse to be tied to a single nation" only shows your own nationalism shining through.

Anti-Muslim race riots happen in France all the time. There's sectarian violence in most countries of the former USSR right now. Religious intolerance runs rampant across the globe.
    ^This.

Europeans come from a much more homogeneous cultural base.

That and they don't have good Mexican cause they are adverse to spicy food. Wusses.

Consent is amazing to you?

Which other bits of the US do you try to ignore?
    Detroit and all other Norwayesque places.

That's the source data.

Chosen segregation is ideal. State mandated segregation is not ideal.

You have obviously never been to LA nor NYC.
    Apparently you have not either.

Jdurand, the very idea that your diversity is something to celebrate is a bit of a joke to me when you have such blatant and obvious divisions along racial lines there.
    Explain the large populations of ethnic groups in US compared to say Norway for example. Your country has no diversity.

It seems to me a few posters are racist about Americans. So I would say there's rampant racism going on everywhere.

I wasn't aware Americans constituted a race.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

I wasn't aware Americans constituted a race.
    It would simply be a logical extension of "hate" speech laws.

Oh come on Kurtz.

There is racism everywhere. The difference being that in the US it is institutionalised. The Roma are an issue that I do not like the way it is being handled at all and in a way institutionalised in certain parts of Europe.

The fact that they refuse to be tied to a specific country just makes it so much easier for the racists to be able to target them.

That and they don't have good Mexican cause they are adverse to spicy food. Wusses.
    I'd argue the same about Indian food in the US. It saddens me that we don't have good Mexican here though. Having said that, the Mexican food you get in the US is most often TexMex rather than real Mexican. Not sure which I prefer to be honest.

There is racism everywhere. The difference being that in the US it is institutionalised.
    State institutionalized, sure.

I'd argue the same about Indian food in the US. It saddens me that we don't have good Mexican here though. Having said that, the Mexican food you get in the US is most often TexMex rather than real Mexican. Not sure which I prefer to be honest.
    No, we have decent Indian. Then again I'm in the bay area, we have everything here. I walked down Valencia in SF today and passed Mexican, Ethiopian, specialty chocolates, burgers and fries, some place that only served cheese, I think a thai place... Totally not diverse. Though good Mexican stops east of the Mississippi.

No, we have decent Indian. Then again I'm in the bay area, we have everything here. =
    Amazing Indian in San Francisco.

I had the best spicy red beef curry when I was there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

There is racism everywhere. The difference being that in the US it is institutionalised. The Roma are an issue that I do not like the way it is being handled at all and in a way institutionalised in certain parts of Europe.

The fact that they refuse to be tied to a specific country just makes it so much easier for the racists to be able to target them.

Again, you avoid the biggest targets of racism in Europe... the Muslims.

It is sponsored by the government when laws are made against certain types of clothing. Something that hasn't happened in the US.

Racism in the US is personal, not governmental... heck, despite many people trying it, the US still doesn't have a "national language". Laws against illegal immigration in the US completely ignore the country of origin of the immigrant, yet there are laws in European countries that specifically target certain ethnic groups.

In Japan, there are laws about adopting foreign words into the language! In Iceland, there are laws about what you can name your kids!!!

Get down off your high-horse, Kurtz. Americans as individuals might be more likely to be racist than average... but America as a Country is certainly less racist.

Consul

No, we have decent Indian. Then again I'm in the bay area, we have everything here. I walked down Valencia in SF today and passed Mexican, Ethiopian, specialty chocolates, burgers and fries, some place that only served cheese, I think a thai place... Totally not diverse. Though good Mexican stops east of the Mississippi.
    Shoot, even here in the Dallas area we have a bit of everything. TONS of Indian food places in Irving, where I work, because their is a huge Indian population here.

Once again, Kurtz is letting his dislike of (and lack of knowledge about) the US form his opinions.

Our diversity in Syracuse has shrunk a bit, or maybe I'm still bitter about my favorite Japanese restaurant/jazz club closing.
    In any regards, you can get Thai, Indian, Vietnamese, some of the best Irish food you can find in the states, Italian of course, and even a Greek restaurant. Not too shabby for a small upstate NY city.
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

What does "upstate" mean? I've often wondered since it doesn't always seem to match. Is it Just anything north of the city?

What does "upstate" mean? I've often wondered since it doesn't always seem to match. Is it Just anything north of the city?
    Many people in Manhattan seem to think that anything north of Westchester is upstate. Syracuse is upstate to them, for sure, but more 'Central New York' in when talked about with locals.
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

Shoot, even here in the Dallas area we have a bit of everything. TONS of Indian food places in Irving, where I work, because their is a huge Indian population here.
    Hell, I live a good 20 minutes from the nearest city limit (and that's a small city), and there's still plenty of different types of ethnic food places within driving distance, especially Mexican, Chinese, and Japanese, but also Greek, Italian, and probably others that I'm forgetting or don't know about.