Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Undead tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    If fluids can cause the virus to spread, exploding zombie heads would be skerry
    Not necessarily. Remember, blood coagulates in dead people... so, if they've been dead for a while (as most zombies of the dead-then-risen variety would be), then their blood would be more of a solid than a liquid. Yeah, there'd probably still be some splattering depending on the type of weapon used, but considerably less than if used on a living person.

For a 28 Days Later-esque "living" zombie, though... yeah, splatter would be a very serious concern.

Consul

But only if it gets into the bloodstream.

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

I can't believe I'm entering this conversation again, but if the blood coagulates, how do the muscles get the energy to do the shuffling?
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

Consul

Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    I can't believe I'm entering this conversation again, but if the blood coagulates, how do the muscles get the energy to do the shuffling?
    We're talking about zombies here. I think the assumption is that reality has already been suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    We're talking about zombies here. I think the assumption is that reality has already been suspended.
    ^ This.

Really, there are very few "zombie" scenarios that make any sense when viewed at from a biology/physiology standpoint, and all of them would have the infected still be alive (which would arguably make them not actually be zombies). About the only ones that I can think of are a rabies-like virus (as in 28 Days Later, though that one was downright ridiculous in the speed at which the infection set in), or a parasitic infection that altered brain chemistry -- and this one would still be rather unusual, as internal parasites typically have multiple host species throughout their lifecycle rather than a single host species.

Quote Originally Posted by Woden View Post
    A parasitic infection that altered brain chemistry -- and this one would still be rather unusual, as internal parasites typically have multiple host species throughout their lifecycle rather than a single host species.
    This one would be interesting. Could you do a zombie apocalypse not by having a bunch of shuffling people groaning for brains, but removing inhibitions and really ramping up aggression? Then, you wouldn't really be able to tell when you were just angry or if you were turning.

Would that prove evolutionarily beneficial by increasing the odds that fluids would be exchanged between infected and non-infected people?

You could also have a fun section of time where you thought you were turning but couldn't be sure if it was something else instead.
    Remember, this is an online forum. I have just as much poo to fling as you do.

http://forum.travian.us/attachment.p...1&d=1247465912

Quote Originally Posted by MokMonster View Post
    So if you can suck a golf bar through a garden hose and are willing to do so for the biggest/safest/most-survivalist man around, you will most likely live as long as he will.

Will market a zombie proof baby carrier
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    This one would be interesting. Could you do a zombie apocalypse not by having a bunch of shuffling people groaning for brains, but removing inhibitions and really ramping up aggression? Then, you wouldn't really be able to tell when you were just angry or if you were turning.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenaynay View Post
    According to the theory of evolution, you probably shouldn't be allowed here either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You're a ******* idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luisss View Post
    I DON'T CARE WHAT THE ANSWER IS.
    S3- Nemesis- http://travian-reports.net/us/report/60926971ac5 (That clay pit had it coming!!!!!!)
    S1- Trannysaurusrex- 7RU (the awesome wing)
    S1- Inshallah. It be but the will of God.

No neg coords for me.

I won't get et! You shoot me if they take me!
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

I will never forgive them for killing Wash! They did it to create room for Pilot River for a season that will never ******* happen!!! Damn I wish they would bring back firefly, it was such an incredible show.

Quote Originally Posted by Babalu View Post
    I will never forgive them for killing Wash! They did it to create room for Pilot River for a season that will never ******* happen!!! Damn I wish they would bring back firefly, it was such an incredible show.
    Wash died in the movie. There was never any intention of bringing the series back to television.
    Whedon just enjoys killing off main characters.
    I can't see them ever doing that, but I agree - the show was awesome with characters, dialogue and story. Nothing has come close to having that kind of group dynamic since and Agents of Shield so far is a pale shadow next to it.

Actually if you watch some of the special features, Joss Whedon hoped that the production of the movie might spark re-interest in the show. He never actually counted on it, but he hoped. But even if it did work, it would be without Wash. Unacceptable! hehe.

I am a leaf on the wind...

Nothing has come close to having that kind of group dynamic since and Agents of Shield so far is a pale shadow next to it.
    BSG (except for the last season)
    Archer
    Mad Men

Oh, and Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog
    MokMonster does not support, condone or agree with anything written in this post.
    Any suggestions to the contrary are purely unintentional.
    (Unless you agreed with it -- then I totally said it)

BSG (except for the last season)
    Archer
    Mad Men

Oh, and Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog
    I disagree completely with the BSG comparison. No where close to the dynamics of Firefly.
    Archer... well... close, maybe.
    Mad Men? Nope. I watched it as long as I did because of a certain beautiful red head, but the dynamic there fell apart after the second season.
    Maybe Farscape?

BSG started off really good. The last season, with the exception of a few expisodes, was basically a soap opera in space, all drama but nothing even remotely interesting.

The Crazies probably has the most realistic zombies as of yet. They become zombies while alive from a biological agent in the water system.

They do not come back to life after death, nor do they live forever, nor is it transferred from bites or anything of the sort.
    Last edited by cofc; 12-04-2013 at 03:46 PM.

So not zombies then.

More like comrades psychopaths.

/Refraining from making wisecrack about specific places/people and time taken to notice outbreak.

So not zombies then.
    They are zombies, in a remake of a zombie movie. Zombies.

Is that like the bath salts thing then where the doped up guy started eating the other guy? So bath salts = zombies?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Eb0l is the alpha and the omega
    The eternal pumpkin queen, and mother of gerbils
    So it was written and so it must forever be

The Crazies was a good movie with a not so good last five minutes.

The Crazies was a good movie with a not so good last five minutes.
    You didn't like the ending? Why not?

First let me say I am a huge Timothy Olyphant fan. Also, I enjoyed the movie as a kick *** horror film through most of it.
    The ending, however, went too large for me. I know that's vague but I don't want to give away the ending for anyone who may watch it.
    Can elaborate via pm if that didn't make sense, tho.

First let me say I am a huge Timothy Olyphant fan. Also, I enjoyed the movie as a kick *** horror film through most of it.
    The ending, however, went too large for me. I know that's vague but I don't want to give away the ending for anyone who may watch it.
    They were setting it up for a sequel. My guess is that they didn't hit their box office targets to get one though.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

Didn't know that. It's too bad. Tim rocks in it.

Interesting that most posters talk about an individual response even to a ridiculous scenario like this. Surely it would be better to find a pool of people and act as a group? The bigger the better?
    As Mok said... a large group does not mean a better group. First, you need competent people. Sally Jo the "personal assistant" probably isn't going to add anything to the group beyond stress relief for some of the men. Dr. Briggs and Bob the Survivalist on the other hand, they're going to be useful. Heck, if it weren't for the weapons training & desert survival knowledge we have, I'd say that neither my SO nor I would be very useful to a post-apocalypse group. Secondly, you need calm, rational people. Trigger-happy Tommy might be a great shot, but if noise attracts zombies, he's a liability.

Once you get a strongly fortified location and a steady food/water supply, then you can start worrying about bringing more people in.

Would that prove evolutionarily beneficial by increasing the odds that fluids would be exchanged between infected and non-infected people?

You could also have a fun section of time where you thought you were turning but couldn't be sure if it was something else instead.
    There's a comic series called "Crossed" that is basically that scenario... With the benefit of the "infected" being easily identifiable.
    TCG says... sign your -Rep, cowards. I don't -Rep people just because they -Rep me.
    The Dinosaur says: (img)Image removed (/img) http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/x...eSignature.png

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat Goddess View Post
    As Mok said... a large group does not mean a better group. First, you need competent people. Sally Jo the "personal assistant" probably isn't going to add anything to the group beyond stress relief for some of the men. Dr. Briggs and Bob the Survivalist on the other hand, they're going to be useful.
    I have more recently become a strong believer in the hierarchy of needs. As inglorious a job as it would be to be the village bicycle, if you start trimming the basics out of what people have available for all kinds of stress relief, sexual or otherwise, people start having issues functioning at a higher level.

There's a comic series called "Crossed" that is basically that scenario... With the benefit of the "infected" being easily identifiable.
    I'm not sure that the infected being easily identifiable is what I was going for. Is there a period where they are not, hopefully?
    Remember, this is an online forum. I have just as much poo to fling as you do.

http://forum.travian.us/attachment.p...1&d=1247465912

So if you can suck a golf bar through a garden hose and are willing to do so for the biggest/safest/most-survivalist man around, you will most likely live as long as he will.

He seems to fit in those types of movies. I have only liked him in The Crazies and Dreamcatcher (i do not watch television though).

Quote Originally Posted by Sirveri View Post
    They were setting it up for a sequel. My guess is that they didn't hit their box office targets to get one though.
    They almost tripled their money at the box office alone, and added another 15 million from dvd/blu-ray sales. Unless there is an unseen continuation from the fist one that I can't think of, a sequel would suck.

Tim has been in 2 excellent television shows, so you are missing out. One was Deadwood on HBO and the other is Justified, based off of an Elmore Leonard character.
    I dig that you do not watch television, but you can find some diamonds in the rough.

Tim has been in 2 excellent television shows, so you are missing out. One was Deadwood on HBO and the other is Justified, based off of an Elmore Leonard character.
    I dig that you do not watch television, but you can find some diamonds in the rough.
    The woman forced me to watch all of "curb your enthusiasm." It was amusing.

I have more recently become a strong believer in the hierarchy of needs. As inglorious a job as it would be to be the village bicycle, if you start trimming the basics out of what people have available for all kinds of stress relief, sexual or otherwise, people start having issues functioning at a higher level.
    Interesting that you chose that example for the benefits of a group. But in the context of a zombie apocalypse, the local bike would not be providing any procreation benefits or fulfilling the love and companionship side either. So you are basically saying that the physical side is a fundamental need and it has to be with someone else (although not someone you care about)? Would it even have to be a she?

I suggest that if you were on a safe island with your other physiological needs met, limbs intact and some companionship (maybe a couple of pets), you might survive a few years. I doubt your higher level functions would be so disabled you wouldn't be able to establish a nice little life. When another non-zombied chap turns up, and he's bigger than you, you could work out who needs what in your own time.

Personally I would have thought having a few extras around to be lookouts, do the cooking, catch the rabbits, build the technology, design the plumbing, counsel the nervous and set up a religion would be more important.

Like Mythbusters!

/nerd

Banned.

If there was a zombie apocalypse, you would all be dead because you bicker too much. If the zombies didn't kill you any survivors you hooked up with would just to shut you up. And I think black Friday is a good example of what the first few days would be like, you'd have just as much to fear from other humans as you would any zombies.

Ever read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?
    Somewhere in the 3rd(ish) book they talk about a society which took all of what they considered to be the useless people (like telephone cleaners), put them on a space ship together and launched them across the galaxy.
    ...a few months later one of them caught an incurable plague from a dirty telephone and they all died.

Interesting that you chose that example for the benefits of a group. But in the context of a zombie apocalypse, the local bike would not be providing any procreation benefits or fulfilling the love and companionship side either.
    How do you figure that? If she was hot and willing and unable to perform a needed function, her only shot at living would be keeping the biggest man (or men) happy so that he (or they) would keep her alive.

So you are basically saying that the physical side is a fundamental need and it has to be with someone else (although not someone you care about)? Would it even have to be a she?
    After a year or 5 it might not have to be a she... but at first, yeah, it most certainly would.

Personally I would have thought having a few extras around to be lookouts, do the cooking, catch the rabbits, build the technology, design the plumbing, counsel the nervous and set up a religion would be more important.
    First of all, setting up a religion in a post-apocalyptic world is stupid -- God has already proven he doesn't give a **** about the human race at that point, so worship is wasted and stupid. Second, if you have someone who can design plumbing and build tech, they're probably useful in other ways and would be kept around. If your only usefulness is in being able to stand watch and go, "ahhghggh, they're coming!" you're on my list of people to trip when I need a little extra time to run away.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron80 View Post
    And I think black Friday is a good example of what the first few days would be like, you'd have just as much to fear from other humans as you would any zombies.
    Have you ever actually gone shopping on black friday? It really isn't any different than every saturday between then and xmas. But you never hear about bad stuff on those days because the media hasn't made up names for those days yet. I used to work retail and while it was a busy day, it wasn't all that crazy and it was never even vaguely dangerous.
    MokMonster does not support, condone or agree with anything written in this post.

First of all, setting up a religion in a post-apocalyptic world is stupid --
    Really? Have you never read any of my posts?
    THIS is why I find some of you lot so damned difficult to converse with. Blue is just not appropriate in some cases.

After a year or 5 it might not have to be a she... but at first, yeah, it most certainly would.
    So not a first level need then?

How do you figure that? If she was hot and willing and unable to perform a needed function, her only shot at living would be keeping the biggest man (or men) happy so that he (or they) would keep her alive.
    That might work under the hierarchy of HER needs. Not his/yours.

I mostly try not to.
    Especially when you and cofc are doing your mating dance. Then I quite literally just start hitting PgDn until I either see other posters or I get to the bottom of the page when I usually stop caring about the topic.

So not a first level need then?
    Sex? Not in the short-term, no.

That might work under the hierarchy of HER needs. Not his/yours.
    Have you never met men?
    Especially if there is a shortage of women, the pretty and willing ones will pretty much always be taken care.

THIS is why I find some of you lot so damned difficult to converse with. Blue is just not appropriate in some cases.
    You are, to put it bluntly, a bit too bat*** and confrontational for the rest of us to just automatically know when you are joking and when you aren't.

Sex? Not in the short-term, no.

Have you never met men?
    Especially if there is a shortage of women, the pretty and willing ones will pretty much always be taken care.
    So you basically agree with me then. The hierarchy of needs thing proposes that sex is a first level need for men. Or some read it specifically like that without any riders. Mostly men though

So you basically agree with me then. The hierarchy of needs thing proposes that sex is a first level need for men. Or some read it specifically like that without any riders. Mostly men though
    No.
    I'm saying that in a life-or-death survival situation sex isn't a first-level need for me... or for anyone, really. No one is going to be like, "hey, look at that hot chick over there being chased by zombies. Let's go save her from one of them and then **** her while the other zombies catch up and eat us."

BUT, men are stupid and a nice-looking piece of *** has turned more than one man away from the smart thing to do.
    So if you can suck a golf bar through a garden hose and are willing to do so for the biggest/safest/most-survivalist man around, you will most likely live as long as he will. If you're fat and/or ugly and/or a prude in combination with not being able to survive on your own, you will be dead before a week is out.