Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mafia Episode IV: A New Hope (War Thread)

Default Mafia Episode IV: A New Hope (War Thread)

Rules:
    1) Han shot first.
    2) Shut down all the trash compactors on the detention level.
    3) That's no moon.

In all seriousness, the rules of this round will be slightly different than you are used to. So pay attention. I'm putting a summary up here which, if you read, will fully explain everything you really need to know. You only need to read the role list if (1) you're interested, or (2) you want to know the details of your role.

This Round: Summary
    Round 4 (this round) will determine the course of history in the Galactic Empire.

To win, the Empire must [successfully make the Death Star operational and destroy the Rebel base on Yavin 4], OR [slay Luke Skywalker]. (To be clear, the Empire does not win merely by being the majority faction.)

To defeat the Empire, the Rebels must successfully destroy the Death Star, which they may do regardless of whether they are the majority faction, or they must eliminate the entire population of the Empire faction. However, the only way for the Death Star to be destroyed is for Luke Skywalker to hit the thermal exhaust port with 2m proton torpedoes. (It's not impossible; he used to bullseye womp rats in his T16 back home, and they're not much bigger than 2 meters.) For more on this, read Luke Skywalker's role description.

There may (or may not) be players who are unaligned, who care not for control of the galaxy, but care very much about obtaining riches. Jabba's unaligned team wins if they successfully assassinate Han Solo, although the game continues beyond this point. The Jawas win if they successfully "tag" both C3PO and R2D2, and survive until the end of the game (regardless of whether 3PO or R2 survive).

Discounting these conditions, other players will be focused on finding out information about which roles other players hold, and killing them if possible. Roleclaims are strictly prohibited, although likely foolish anyway since almost every role may be assassinated or targetted by another role. Out of thread (private) communications are allowed, HOWEVER the no roleclaiming rule still applies, and I will auto-kill any player I learn has breached this rule. No Lynch is allowed at any time, and may be lynched any number of times.

May the force be with you.

Roles
    The Empire
    The Emperor: Every other night, may send the name of a player to be killed by imperial Storm Troopers.

Darth Vader: Each night may target a player, and will slay that player if that player's role is {Obi Wan}. If {Obi Wan} is slain by Vader, the player with the role {Luke Skywalker} will be revealed to Darth Vader.
    Grand Moff Tarkin: Each night may question a player. If Grand Moff Tarkin questions Princess Leia, or if Princess Leia is killed, he learns the location of Yavin 4, successfully making the Death Star operational. Once per game, may order the Death Star to move on Yavin 4, which will end the game 2 rounds after launched by destroying Yavin 4. If Tarkin is killed, this ability passes to another member of the Empire.

Admiral Motti: Each night, protect a member of the Empire from assassination, as well as from any other negative event.

Clone Trooper: No special abilities (unless more people sign up)

The Rebellion
    Luke Skywalker: Appears to be the last hope of the Rebellion; can destroy the Death Star in 2 rounds, but may initiate this process via PM to the host after (1) the Death Star has been set on Yavin 4, or (2) R2D2 manages to deliver the plans to the Rebels. Once Luke begins his attacking run, his role is revealed to all, and he may not be protected by Wedge Antilles. ("You can't do any more good back there!") He may still be protected by Obi Wan or Han at this point.
    Princess Leia: May determine whether a player is aligned with the Empire or not each night. Once per game, may prevent the lynch.

Obi Wan: Serves 2 purposes; Firstly, as long as he is alive, he is always set to bodyguard {Luke Skywalker}, and Secondly, may use Jedi Mind Tricks once per night to prevent another player from using their role that night, but this will only succeed if the target is weak-minded. (Note: Which roles count as weak minded should not be assumed, since I chose these based on game balance, not based on the actual mental fortitude of the character.)

R2D2: Targets a player once per night; if he targets Princess Leia, then he will successfully deliver the plans to the Death Star to the rebellion, allowing the Rebellion to launch an attack on the space station.
    C3PO: Advanced human-cyborg relations -- targets a player per night. If he targets a clone trooper, he will be destroyed. If he targets {Luke}, then Luke will learn who is playing 3PO, and 3PO will be informed. If he targets {R2}, then R2 will learn who is playing 3PO and 3PO will be informed.

Han Solo: Begins knowing the player who has the role {Chewbacca}. Targets a player each night. If that player has the role {Luke Skywalker} or {Princess Leia}, then in future nights, Han Solo will gain the ability to either continue searching for either Luke or Leia, or use bodyguard.
    Chewbacca: Begins knowing the player who has the role {Han Solo}. Once per game, may use wookie rage to kill a player. Wins with any faction if he kills Jabba the Hut or Greedo with this ability.

Wedge Antilles: Can protect one player per night, preventing any negative event from occurring to them that night.

Unaligned Team 1
    Jabba the Hut: Each night, may detect the exact role of a single player target, or (once per game) may instruct Greedo to assassinate a player of his choice.
    Greedo: Once per game, may be sent by Jabba the Hut to assassinate a player. If this assassinate is used on Han, it regenerates and may be used again on Chewy. If Chewy is assassinated, this may be used again on The Emperor or Darth Vader. If all four of those roles are dead, the Huts may also win by beginning a coup d'etat to take control of the government. 2 rounds after this dynamic is initiated, if Jabba is still alive, the Huts win all by themselves. Warning: This role has interesting, hidden wincons.

Unaligned Team 2
    Chief Jawa: Each night, may tag one player with a robot restraining chip thingy.

Player List: (4/14)
    MK-> replaced by FTP -- was Grand Moff Tarkin
    Valy -- was C3PO
    FTP -- was Wedge Antilles
    Carni -- was R2D2
    SC -- was Chewy
    Vinit -- was Leia Skywalker
    JK -- was Obi Wan Kenobi
    Rok -- was Luke Skywalker
    Vpin -- was Han Solo
    Conun -- was Greedo
    Cheddar -- was Jabba the Hut
    GM -- was The Emperor
    mbstokem -- was Darth Vader
    JC -- was Admiral Motti

Linked List of KPs
    Rebel Dispatch #1
    Rebel Dispatch #2
    Phase II Begins
    Rebels Attack Death Star
    Everyone Hates FTP
    The Final KP

Round Winners:
    The Huts (Conundrum, Cheddar)
    The Empire (GM, Stokem, JC, MK/FTP)
    Great round.
    Last edited by The Burninator; 04-03-2015 at 02:23 AM.

Where's my role?
    Quote Originally Posted by mbstokem View Post
    o ya. i hope he goes back to it. i liked my name being in some1's sig

Where's my role?
    Lemme just
    Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    I have not yet PM'd roles,
    So what now

So what's my role?

Roles have been PM'd; game may begin. First KP will be tomorrow evening @10PM, unless all roles are in in time for one today. May the force be with you all.

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

Well, this is a worry. None of my prime targets are around to vote for.
    Who is this cheesy chap? A rank whiff?

vote : Cheds
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    Roles have been PM'd; game may begin. First KP will be tomorrow evening @10PM, unless all roles are in in time for one today. May the force be with you all.
    What time zone? I'm going to assume est?

Quote Originally Posted by SMod Gotmilk View Post
    What time zone? I'm going to assume est?
    Yes. If there is significant outcry for another time, I will change it to match popular demand. Also, if you get your stuff in at 10:03, I'm not one of "those hosts" who will be like "You're late it doesn't count." 10:50 is another story . But if the KP isn't up yet, you can probs still submit. (Reason: I want everyone to be using their roles!)

The country with the world's longest official name

Vote: stokem
    Reason:
    Has the longest name in the game. Also, I probably won't be on again for 24 hours.

Vote: Mouse-Keyboard
    Reason: Has a longer name than mbstokem?

"The edge of the world and all of Western civilization"

Vote: mbstokem
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Arnold View Post
    Now go on you, shoo!

Oh, FTP is in this game.

Unvote: MK
    Vote: FTP
    Reason: Detrimental to town regardless of alignment

Vote: No Lynch
    Calling out weak trolling since December 2012

S1 R6 - Caesarum R7 - Carni R8 - Phantom
    S2 R8 - Storeythor
    S4 R8 - Carni
    S5 R5 - Blackbird R7 - BBC
    S8 R2 - Eazykills
    S19 R1 - Seba18

Vote: No lynch

Quote Originally Posted by Zingoleb View Post
    I walked into shoe barefoot one day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacana View Post
    'Cept JC, he's got it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan Crane
    Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

Voye: Vinit
    Reason:
    he started the bandwagon on the harmless NL guy.

Apparently that is what we are doing today

So just to be clear outside communication is allowed this game right?

Quote Originally Posted by vpindian91 View Post
    So just to be clear outside communication is allowed this game right?
    Yes. You may not, however, reveal your role to others.

What conun said

Reason: A malignant and invasive growth or tumor, especially one originating in epithelium, tending to recur after excision and to metastasize to other sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Reason: A malignant and invasive growth or tumor, especially one originating in epithelium, tending to recur after excision and to metastasize to other sites.
    Did you just vote twice? I'm flattered I mean so much to you.
    Now go on you, shoo!

Okay, I just got back from a retreat. let me read this thing and catch up.
    Live Life, Love Others.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLink View Post
    Cheddar is one of the popular, energetic guys.
    "A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." - Proverbs 12:16

"Comparison is the thief of joy." - Theodore Roosevelt

Dethy Analysis Helper

Quote Originally Posted by FTP View Post
    Did you just vote twice? I'm flattered I mean so much to you.
    I suppose I did! And of course you mean that much to me.

Okay, didn't miss as much as I thought I had. Thanks goodness.

Vote: No lynch.
    Live Life, Love Others.

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." - Proverbs 12:16

Dethy Analysis Helper

(OOC: the role use this night was very good! A couple of you didn't send however. This round works much better if everyone uses their roles, since they all interplay!)

{Rebel Dispatch code: "KP1," information rated highly sensitive.}

The backwater planet of Tatooine was in turmoil this morning when it was discovered that the Empire has somehow managed to assassinate Jabba the Hut (played by Cheddar). Greedo has taken over operations of the less-than-legal operations, including the pod races. We are hopeful that the Huts will see fit to strike back against the Empire, but it would appear that their resources are limited. With Jabba gone, the loyalties of bounty hunters likely cannot be ensured.

Wedge Antilles was seen protecting vpindian.

No other new information has been brought to light recently. We have not been able to determine any Imperial presence in our midst, but we are still searching.

Remember: always keep your R2 units in good condition; there is no substitute for a good R2 unit for automatic in-space repair of a vessel of almost any time.

Stay tuned for more.
    Last edited by The Burninator; 03-30-2015 at 03:39 AM.

So a 1-shot SK is left with the Hutt faction. They *will not*be able to kill all of their targets in the order that seems specified in the kp (odds are severely against them). Best they can hope for us to live with until the last 3, vote one player and kill the other. Still not guaranteed at that point either.

They may as well work with one of the other factions. Rebels gives best odds as Empire can renege any deal at any point they want by using their kill.

Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

Umm...Kp says Cheddar was Jabba while the OP lists Conun as Jabba? Clarification please Burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Umm...Kp says Cheddar was Jabba while the OP lists Conun as Jabba? Clarification please Burn.
    I screwed up the strikeout in the OP. Cheddar and conun both start with c and were right next to one another. I fixed the OP to match the (correct) KP.

Vote: Conun

How could you

Pretty random.

Vote:
    No Lynch
    Reason: No leads. Subject to change with further posts.

You're the trandoshan to my wookie.

(Star Wars references are awesome.)

[haunt] Well that made me sad. First mafia round while back and I'm taken out night one. And this round looks super fun. Oh well, guess the wildcard factor was too much to handle.

Edit: Also, I feel a creature of Jaba's influence deserved a picture. [/haunt]
    Last edited by cheddar; 03-30-2015 at 09:59 AM.
    Live Life, Love Others.

Dethy Analysis Helper

Opting to hold my vote.

vote: FTP

Now go on you, shoo!

Quote Originally Posted by FTP View Post