Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: #BlackStormTrooper

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

Then we have a different baseline. I call someone intelligent if they have above average rational and deductive skills (among other things). Being racist makes you below average. Historically you could be intelligent and racist. Not now. Being Christian is similar actually. I know there are some otherwise clever Christians, but if they are fundies, they are not in my pool of intelligent. Maybe I have higher standards than you two?
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    Then we have a different baseline. I call someone intelligent if they have above average rational and deductive skills (among other things). Being racist makes you below average. Historically you could be intelligent and racist. Not now. Being Christian is similar actually. I know there are some otherwise clever Christians, but if they are fundies, they are not in my pool of intelligent. Maybe I have higher standards than you two?
    Well

Quote Originally Posted by Merriam-Webster
    intelligence

noun in·tel·li·gence \in-ˈte-lə-jən(t)s\
    : the ability to learn or understand things or to deal with new or difficult situations
    Quote Originally Posted by Google
    in·tel·li·gence
    inˈteləjəns/
    noun
    the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.
    "an eminent man of great intelligence"
    synonyms: intellectual capacity, mental capacity, intellect, mind, brain(s), IQ, brainpower, judgment, reasoning, understanding, comprehension; acumen, wit, sense, insight, perception, penetration, discernment, smartness, canniness, astuteness, intuition, acuity, cleverness, brilliance, ability; informalbraininess
    "a man of great intelligence"
    Well, like so many other things, the English language, among the majority of its speakers, disagrees with you.

And I wouldn't call it higher standards, I would call it arrogance. You believe since they don't share the same beliefs as you, that you are better than them. In the same way as the Feminism thread, you believe that since Woden doesn't accept the notion that there is still a patriarchal scheme to undermine women, then he is inferior to your intellect.

Honestly, you sound like Erbal and my sister. Since we don't believe in this grand scheme of conspiracies, we're all sheep, apart of the flock that Big Brother shepherds around.

But in respect to this specific denotation, intelligence is referred to as someone's capacity for technical thinking and application of said knowledge. In other words, a savant who can listen to a piece of music and play it perfectly displays an aptitude for music and can be called a genius in acoustics, since he obtains a higher than average capacity to learn something and apply it.

The same can be said for Rainman when it comes to math, or the chess genius. The same can be said for people who go through school, acquiring math and English skills with ease, and applying them on tests to show their capacity to learn and apply those skills.

That's all intelligence is. Any of those people above could have been indoctrinated with irrational beliefs such as God, racism, sexism, et cetera, and still have a high capacity for obtaining and applying knowledge. And they might feel safer believing that a higher power watches over them, or that they're somehow better than the black man down the row from them. Or that their bible justified women not speaking in church, so they can better hear the word of God.

Those prejudices and irrational thought and behaviors do not take away their skills, their technical knowledge, or their ability to learn and apply it. The brain is a very complex thing, it can completely block out traumatic experiences, or experience fugue to protect the consciousness and identity from breaking down. It can categorize patterns and thoughts and experiences down to the smell, and remember things from decades or yesterday. The brain is able to forget things that make you anxious and remember things that makes you feel safe.

If someone has grown up with feelings, thoughts, or beliefs that make them safe, the brain will twist itself to continue believing that, as well as if the person had a traumatic experience, they might feel anxious around that race in the future as a defense mechanism. So that person now experiences a "gut-reaction", and forevermore be a racist. You can't call yourself superior, based on a few prejudices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

So, I take it from all that waffle that you really ARE racist? Damn, you are making me agree with Kurt and that is possibly EVEN WORSE!

You go Miriam, I'll go most others. Am I arrogant? Possibly, but it's hard not to be when presented with such drivel.

Hint: Racism is no more a belief system than "the aliens took me" or anti-vaxxing. And I give it just as much credit. None. But, sure, jump in that box of dumb if you want to. It seems you are not as far away from that religious nutter you were as you pretend to be.

An since I'm on a roll, one can be racist without expressing it. That would be the intelligent thing to do, because well, you would know it was irrational and a dumb thing to do.

Hint: Racism is no more a belief system than "the aliens took me" or anti-vaxxing.
    And if a smart person happens to believe such, it does not magically strip them of their intelligence. It just means that they are illogical in one facet of their thinking.

You know, sort of like how you illogically try to turn everything into black-and-white situations, and how you illogically assume that not agreeing with you about something is clear proof that someone is stupid and/or a bigot.

I believe the point is to not categorize an entire group of people as possessing lower than average intelligence based upon one shared trait.
    S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

The country with the world's longest official name

Quote Originally Posted by Tineren View Post
    I believe the point is to not categorize an entire group of people as possessing lower than average intelligence based upon one shared trait.
    What if that trait is possessing lower than average intelligence?

Quote Originally Posted by Woden View Post
    And if a smart person happens to believe such, it does not magically strip them of their intelligence. It just means that they are illogical in one facet of their thinking.

You know, sort of like how you illogically try to turn everything into black-and-white situations, and how you illogically assume that not agreeing with you about something is clear proof that someone is stupid and/or a bigot.
    Oh, THAT is rich coming from you! Mr POT.
    I stand my ground. if you can hold a completely illogical view without even knowing it is illogical, that makes you less intelligent than you seem to think you are. Even intelligent god botherers know they are being illogical. It might not stop their FAITH, but they know it's not logical. Brain washing is a thing, I get that, and you suffer from it as much as anyone. But, when presented with clear evidence (not that made up statistical babble you often link to) intelligence means you can see it.

Racism does not get a pass for any reason these days. sorry.

Statistically, I know nothing
    US3-R3: LordOChaos (SI-2) Rookie; US3-R4: fifi (the dual); US3-R5: LordOChaos (Demons)
    US3-R8: Questionable
    US2-R5: LordOChaos (BACON)
    COM3: A Dual
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    God forbid you used any of my advice (shiver) - that would be fatal!
    That's my secret, I am always angry. Bruce Banner

Aw c'mon, no need to take such a global view. You could go stand in the zoo and do a sample size of the nearest 200 primates and you might seem quite average... :P

Aw c'mon, no need to take such a global view. You could go stand in the zoo and do a sample size of the nearest 200 primates and you might seem quite average... :P
    That's racist. More than black people frequent zoos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

The nearest 200 primates would probably be that bunch of school children over there, whose parents think they are entitled to be special. In which case, I would score well above normal, as any idiot that thinks they are entitled to anything obviously has sub-par intelligence.
    US3-R3: LordOChaos (SI-2) Rookie; US3-R4: fifi (the dual); US3-R5: LordOChaos (Demons)
    US3-R8: Questionable
    US2-R5: LordOChaos (BACON)
    COM3: A Dual
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    God forbid you used any of my advice (shiver) - that would be fatal!
    That's my secret, I am always angry. Bruce Banner

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of The Morning View Post
    The nearest 200 primates would probably be that bunch of school children over there, whose parents think they are entitled to be special. In which case, I would score well above normal, as any idiot that thinks they are entitled to anything obviously has sub-par intelligence.
    And you are entitled to your opinion. Hominid.