Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Indie Madness in May - A Game of Mafia (game thread)

KP-7:

vpindian91 was lynched and was the Monk. The Monk did not meet his win condition.

Vinit has been killed by Mafia and was found to be Cupid. Cupid did not meet his win condition.

Carni is the last one standing, and was the Accountant.
    Mafia Win.

OP updated with all roles. This game sure did drag on! There were a couple of close calls that could have drastically changed the game. I'll just mention a few of my thoughts and some of those close calls below, as much as I remember.

Burn was Tracker, which meant he could choose whether to watch or follow someone each night. He watched doog night-1, and only knew that no one visited doog. So his statement that doog was probably an Indie with a power role was purely a guess, and based only on the fact that most people this round were Indies with power roles (in past Indie Madness rounds, I have run Town/Mafia/Indie as 3/2/9, 4/2/7, 2/1/8, and now this time as 4/2/8). But that statement Burn made sure carried itself late into the game!

With statements Burn made, Valy guessed he was the Tracker, and successfully devoured him. Valy tried again the next night, guessing that Carni was the Snitch. He had the right Faction, but the wrong role (Carni was instead the Accountant). So if he had picked the right role, Carni would have died much earlier! And guessing wrong, he still had a 75% chance of not revealing his role, but random.org had a different idea. It didn't matter though, because that same night, cheddar had figured out that there was another Wolf in the game, and that it was Valy. However, both wolves only got 1 successful kill, so neither of them won.

Speaking of wolves, late in the game, there was both confusion as to whether 1 or 2 wolves had died, and then later as to whether there could have been more than 2 in the game. I did seriously consider putting in 3 wolves, and briefly considered putting in 5 or 6... just to mess with you guys. But I figured I'd probably get shunned from hosting if I did that! So I kept it to 2.

We had both a Monk and a Doctor in this round, and did not have a single successful save! The night MK was lynched (more discussion on that below), MK was sent to kill Vinit, but vp (Monk) would have saved Vinit, and would have confirmed him as non-Mafia.

Also, as Carni said, MK was lynched because of my rule (#2 or #3 I think) stating that a non-vote after day-1 was counted as a vote for yourself. So MK got himself lynched by not getting online to vote before KP, and also didn't get in a Mafia kill because of it. Didn't matter though, as his teammate won the game for Mafia anyway.

About 2 days in, I thought maybe I should have put RB'ers in this round, so a little more actually showed up in KP's. But I picked what I picked, and that's the way it goes.

Some roles didn't make very much use of their specials, if any. SC (Serial Killer) didn't realize that he needed to send in kills as often as possible to have a chance of winning, and missed day-1. But he died shortly after so it didn't matter. Wild (Mayor) didn't submit his special at all, which definitely didn't help himself or Town (nor did his absence for almost 2 days). Carni (Accountant) only submitted specials twice in 7 days - once was the secondary special (not revealed in KP, but was obvious when Wild died instead of Gauss) and once the normal special, which was useless since he was trying to frame Burn who died the same night anyway. But by not using the special later in the game, it seemed to basically clear him, because he was active and the special wasn't used (don't make that mistake again people! someone is not cleared that way)

Many of the Indie roles are long-shots to meet their win conditions (like wolves, already mentioned, who both got halfway there). Warlock, Siren, Alien, and Cupid were nowhere close, either from dying early, or just not guessing correctly. And yes, a lot of it is guessing for some of those roles. I was thinking maybe Vinit could have worked out a bit more of people's alignments as he survived later in the round... but he had 2 wasted nights (1 he tried to match someone who he had already made fall in love, and a 2nd time he tried to match a dead person who got lynched just before he was able to use his special, due to Order of Roles), and then had some unlucky picks after that.

The only 2 who used their Secondary Special were the Mafia, and it seemed effective. Some Town died too early to use theirs though (and Indies didn't have Secondaries) - I had said in sign-up threads I didn't want a complicated round. But I was referring to my "Power Madness" rounds where there are even more powers to follow. A couple Secondaries weren't a big deal to track on my phone as I posted KP's each day, and it let me use practically the same set-up as my other Indie Madness rounds.

And finally... Gauss hit the nail on the head when he said (multiple times) that he's terrible at Mafia, but just enjoys playing anyway! He flipped so many times I'm surprised he had to get killed by Mafia, and wasn't lynched first. He would avidly say "it's xxxx or yyyy as Mafia, for sure", then a few hours later would be switching, and absolutely confident it was a different pair who were most likely. And each time he switched, people actually believed him and followed! And all logic he used to try to clear or condemn someone was based purely on faulty reasoning, gut instinct, or no reason at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jason_kroeker View Post
    Gauss hit the nail on the head when he said (multiple times) that he's terrible at Mafia, but just enjoys playing anyway!
    This.

I can't actually believe y'alls were going with the "let's assume Burn was mafia" for so damn long when it was blindingly obvious that I basically roleclaimed.

I would just like to extend my deepest hatred towards the mafia for killing me so early.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan Crane
    Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

Yeah I suck so hard at this lol. Oh well gg

my inactivity early on basically killed me. gg to Carni, and to Gauss's credit he did vote for Carni before switching to doog on the second to last night

The country with the world's longest official name

I like how people jumped to conclusions about almost everything we did.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    I would just like to extend my deepest hatred towards the mafia for killing me so early.
    Sorry

I was basically idle this round. My power was mostly guessing and I tried getting cheddar to visit me by being annoying to him (and FTP as well lol). None of it worked but it was an interesting power/round. See you all next time
    US1 - R8: Seba18 - TMH
    US1 - R9: Easy Faked Oven - RIP (http://travian-reports.net/us/report/284151238bd/http://travian-reports.net/us/report/293427537bc)
    US19 - R1: Seba18 (win)

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Really? You're mad? Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by mbstokem View Post
    o ya. i hope he goes back to it. i liked my name being in some1's sig

I don't have to be mad to spread hatred into the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan Crane
    Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mod Gauss View Post
    Yeah I suck so hard at this lol. Oh well gg
    Actually, as much as you oozed scumminess in your constant mind-changing, you did a large part in carrying the game through the middle third, promoting discussion and keeping things going. And after you died, so did the discussions. In fact, both vp and Vinit had stated they were Indie and couldn't win, and neither of them challenged Carni to make a similar statement. If they had lynched Carni the final night, no one would have won the game (Town would have somewhat won, except that there would have still been unfriendly Indies alive, and no Towns would have still been alive).

May I second doog's recommendation for the next couple hosts?

Quote Originally Posted by dooglash sontoosh View Post
    may I suggest that we have 48 hour long KP due to low activity in game? That way more people have time to vote/etc.
    It will definitely make rounds last longer (especially up at 14 people like this one). But it would allow people to be gone for up to 24 hours within the game and not miss a whole lot. It will allow a little more discussion each day, as some people are only online just after a KP and others just before one (depending on KP time), which usually leaves some groups of people who can't even interact with each other within a 1-day cycle between KP's.

But if rounds do get large... 12+ I'd say... hosts can just put in a few more killing roles as needed. Vigilante for Town. Serial Killer for Indies. An extra single-use kill for Mafia on top of their normal kill (or even every-other-KP). And roles that can kill - whether the Schitzo or Collector, or else some Indie roles like I included in this round (Wolf and Siren), and I'm sure some of you could come up with others. Or allow double-lynches. Or a random.org-selected death every 2 or 3 KP's to mix it up.

Quote Originally Posted by jason_kroeker View Post
    Actually, as much as you oozed scumminess in your constant mind-changing, you did a large part in carrying the game through the middle third, promoting discussion and keeping things going. And after you died, so did the discussions. In fact, both vp and Vinit had stated they were Indie and couldn't win, and neither of them challenged Carni to make a similar statement. If they had lynched Carni the final night, no one would have won the game (Town would have somewhat won, except that there would have still been unfriendly Indies alive, and no Towns would have still been alive).
    To me Gauss's constant mind-changing made him a sure-fire townie, but the discussion died the last night because i figured even if we did vote to lynch the last mafia member the accountant could just subtract the a vote and make it a tie and ties usually go to mafia on the last night don't they?

For the 48 hr Kp idea i think it'd be a good idea if we extended kps on the weekends and kept the normal 24 hour kp during the weekdays since activity is the lowest during the weekends.

I also like the idea of one townie, one mafia, and everything else being a wolf lol

Quote Originally Posted by vpindian91 View Post
    the discussion died the last night because i figured even if we did vote to lynch the last mafia member the accountant could just subtract the a vote and make it a tie and ties usually go to mafia on the last night don't they?
    All hosts run things differently, but what you have described would almost never happen, regardless of hosts. A tie *vote* will go to random.org, or someone's dart-board, or whatever else. And a tie vote is what could have happened this round.

However, many hosts will put a tied number of players as a Mafia win (whether it gets down to 3 Mafia and 3 non-Mafia, or 2-and-2, or 1-and-1). And the non-Mafia don't have to be all Town - some could be Indies.

But with my rounds specifically, you always need to read the Rules, Order of Roles, and other nonsense in the OP (or in this case, the post linked in the OP). My "win condition" for Mafia was that they basically had to outnumber remaining non-Mafia. In this case, with only 2 Mafia to start, that would be either 2-1 or 1-0 (and that's what Carni ended up as, at the very end). If there was no way that tides could turn (Mayor dead, RB'er if included dead, Doctor dead), then I would consider 2-2 or 1-1 as a Mafia win. But before the last night, there was still a Monk in play (and the night before that, also a Doctor).

And my rounds usually give enough other detail in the OP to answer many questions and counter mistaken logic that happens through the round too. Like when Gauss said I wasn't having Secondaries this round, but Role Descriptions clearly included them. And someone thought I said there was only 1 Wolf, but I had said "at least one". Also, each role description indicated if they would turn up Guilty to a Cop, and if their effects would be listed in KP's.

I know I messed up twice. It was because one day my internet connection was very slow and the other day I had to leave early. I even voted Seba after he died.
    Also, there was so less information in the KP that I had to mostly go with what people said, and at times, that messed up a lot of things.
    But overall this was a fun round. Well played Carni and MK.
    Last edited by Vinit144; 05-08-2015 at 08:26 AM.

Hey well played everyone! When MK died I thought I was doomed, but Gauss being ready to switch so fast at any point was what saved me. You did make me nervous Gauss when you started voting for me for a while. I basically repeated what Vpin said in a different twist of words to prove I was innocent because you had accepted it from Vpin.

If MK and I hadn't both screwed up Tuesday night, this game could've been very different. Also Valy almost killing me night 2 is a yikes.

Also, dear SC, since MK said sorry I'm going with not sorry.
    Calling out weak trolling since December 2012

S1 R6 - Caesarum R7 - Carni R8 - Phantom
    S2 R8 - Storeythor
    S4 R8 - Carni
    S5 R5 - Blackbird R7 - BBC
    S8 R2 - Eazykills
    S19 R1 - Seba18