Thread: Free Windows 10 Upgrade

Default Free Windows 10 Upgrade

For Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 computers. What's cool is one of my computers has a booted Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit copy that Microsoft said is "genuine", so that computer still gets a free upgrade.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...tions-answered

Seems I'll be getting Windows 10 Pro (No more Ultimate editions) 64 bit upgrade on July 29th.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

Why is mircrosoft giving free upgrades?
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

In the ToS, they get unlimited access to your webcam and microphone and are allowed to record anything they see. And they have free use of any files on your hard drives.

I'm just kidding, that's been in the ToS since Windows Vista.

Basically, Windows is less focused on making money off of licenses, than making money within the operating system, as they have seen on MacOS and Android systems. Their license revenue has fallen to 16%, since many ***hole pirates are illegally booting copies of windows.

They are giving free upgrades to legitimate and illegitimate copies of Windows because they don't want people to be on the atrocious Windows 8 or 8.1 anymore, and the new Windows 10 has an integrated app store, where you can pay for books, movies, tv shows, apps, games, etc. where they expect to make a lot more money over the several years you own the computer than the $50 they'll make on you upgrading. And if you didn't upgrade, you would never buy anything from them, since you wouldn't have an appstore on your old version. And Windows 8 has turned off so many people, they have been looking into other platforms, like ChromeOS, android, and Macs.

They also believe you'd be more inclined to buy Office 365 with its annual subscription as well as Skype premium and other products it offers.

It's good its moving on from the outdated practice of charging for a new operating system.

EDIT: Software developers love it, since they won't have to make updates for each iteration of their product. A version for Windows XP, Windows Vista (they've stopped the first two), Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 10, MacOS, and sometimes Android. Now, they'll only have to update one version of Windows application.

EDIT2: Internet Explorer is finally getting killed off. And replaced with "Microsoft Edge." They're also killing off the game Hearts, and Windows Media Center.
    Last edited by SMOD polkadot; 06-05-2015 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Double Post
    I'm not very bright.

I was wondering where the money was in it for them.
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

Solike, I have an actually legitimate copy of Windows 7, and this thing that is asking me to upgrade to 10 every time I boot up... it doesn't work. It fails to run every time.

Gg.

Quote Originally Posted by Flossie Schmumpus View Post
    I was wondering where the money was in it for them.
    Most people don't upgrade their operating system, they only get a new OS when they get a new computer. If you buy a new computer with Windows 10 installed, you will still be paying for it, that hasn't changed. So most of the upgrades they are giving away are going people who weren't going to buy them anyhow. So for every 100 people they get to use their new app/media store, they pass up the upgrade money they would have gotten from 10-25 of them.
    S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

Quote Originally Posted by Tineren View Post
    Most people don't upgrade their operating system, they only get a new OS when they get a new computer. If you buy a new computer with Windows 10 installed, you will still be paying for it, that hasn't changed. So most of the upgrades they are giving away are going people who weren't going to buy them anyhow. So for every 100 people they get to use their new app/media store, they pass up the upgrade money they would have gotten from 10-25 of them.
    Like I said, I wondered where the coin was for them....they are thinking that it will be more profitable to have people hooked into their apps store than selling the system, so they are giving the system so people are hooked into the apps store.

Quote Originally Posted by Flossie Schmumpus View Post
    Like I said, I wondered where the coin was for them....they are thinking that it will be more profitable to have people hooked into their apps store than selling the system, so they are giving the system so people are hooked into the apps store.
    Well, like Tineren said, if you want the standalone system, it still cost $119 for home and $199 for professional.

Just that upgrading from one system to another usually only cost $50 anyway, and rarely anyone ever did it. So they're losing out on millions of potential customers.
    I'm not very bright.

I liek winders 8.1.

Quote Originally Posted by Toucan View Post
    I liek winders 8.1.

Quote Originally Posted by Woden View Post
    I like the concept I should say. The concept is a good step in the field of touch screen computers. I've got it on an Acer laptop and I've just loved it since I got it last January.