Thread: DISCUSSION: Sticky Mafia Sign-Up thread?

Customer Service Team Dark Tower's Avatar

Default DISCUSSION: Sticky Mafia Sign-Up thread?

Hi all,

Sorry for my quicker than necessary actions on the Mafia Sign Up thread, my hatred for useless topics got the better of me

As an offer of reconciliation I've reverted my actions, and want to start a small 'discussion'.

Are you okay with one sticky sign up thread, which I will clean up after each game has started?
    This way we will both get what we want: You will have different threads to not clutter the game thread, I will not have to look at 50 threads with 10 replies each

How about that?

Mod Dark Tower

I have no issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan Crane
    Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    Hi all,

Sorry for my quicker than necessary actions on the Mafia Sign Up thread, my hatred for useless topics got the better of me

News flash! People chatting and signing up for a game is not useless, believe it or not many hosts use the signup thread to set the tone and frame the game.

As an offer of reconciliation I've reverted my actions, and want to start a small 'discussion'.

Are you okay with one sticky sign up thread, which I will clean up after each game has started?
    This way we will both get what we want: You will have different threads to not clutter the game thread, I will not have to look at 50 threads with 10 replies each

How about that?

Mod Dark Tower
    You have not been around long enough to see and understand how Mafia works. We usually have two threads active, four
    if there is a regular round and a dethy round active at the same time, but sadly we have not had enough players active to run them both at the same time in quite a while. Two possibly, four threads are too much for you? There is this magic little green indicator that lets you know if there is a new post or a post has been edited in a thread.

Clearly I am against this change.
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

Dear friend,
    This comes from another crazy person who shares your madness for symmetry and order. Even thought here we inhabit in a digital world, it is still not possible to impose your "order" to the "chaos" of others. Believe me, long time ago I learned this lesson, even thought my concept of symmetry and order seemed perfect from my reference, from the reference of others it was simply madness.
    So what did I do? Well simply put, I learned to force my concept of order and symmetry only inside my territory.

Hi all,

How about that?

Mod Dark Tower
    There are only 2 active threads going at once, like Flossie said. And anyways it wouldn't really matter if this was implied or not. I'll leave that up to you.

Also, are we not allowed to double post in the Mafia thread anymore? We've always been doing that.

I was part of the team that instigated a change in the forum rules to allow the double posting. I'd not seen anything to suggest it had been changed back however I was away for some time.
    I could quote kabooja, the S-Mod, in my current thread where she had said dp'ing was acceptable in mafia threads.
    I can also explain the reasoning behind it intrinsically if needed or even dig up old threads (obviously not going to be able to quote the one in the mod corner).

Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

There's no problem in double posting in the Mafia threads.
    Some forumites, however, had not noticed this difference and were double posting (even triple posting) everywhere.

I will not take any actions against double posting in the Mafia threads, only when other forum rules are broken.

As far as two or four active threads goes, I don't mind at all.
    We can even have 20 active threads at the same time.
    Keyword, however, is 'active'. Once a game starts, the sign up thread becomes useless, or is prone to instigate off topic banter.

One sticky thread, where all the sign ups can be opened and entered would avoid cluttering of the subforum, and a lot less deleted threads after a few months.
    Mafia is somewhat similar to Werewolves of Miller's Hollow, so sure: I really do not intend to kill the game.

Sigh....you do know it is banter that keeps the forum alive. Stop trying to shut it down. The sign up thread is the only place banter can really take place once someone has been mafia killed. Chit chat is vital to having a healthy forum. The sign up thread goes fallow after the game is over, what is your problem with having fallow threads? They show the history of what we have been doing and you seek to erase it. Now I have to go check how many threads you have deleted from Mafia, fun threads where we send people to check things out or just to relive a particularly fun round.

Forums are not a strict Robert's Rules meeting, but rather they are a casual coffee place where conversation flows and ebbs from topic to topic, especially in the Talk and Play area.
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

Doesn't really matter what I say, you will find an excuse against it

That seems overly dismissive given it was discussion that was asked for.

Can I ask for an example where sign up threads have been spammed after game completion (other than prolific bot spam which is unavoidable forum wide)? I'll say we do tend to police ourselves here a little better than posters elsewhere in my experience.

Senior Community Moderator SMOD polkadot's Avatar

Hello RPGers,

I appreciate the discussion Mod Dark Tower has opened up for you. He is willing to listen, and so am I. Please forgive him as it may not have been known to him that it is only in Mafia are you allowed to Double Post. He is a new Moderator (to this domain), so please be kind and give him time to navigate and understand our domain better; to better serve the community.

I would like to take the time to provide you with my own thoughts on how to proceed.

One thing I have noticed: Sign-Up threads are not closed/locked after the game thread round has ended. Would you prefer that we close it after? Or, the other option could be to create a new thread where all past sign-up threads are moved into (like an archive). The only active threads would be current ongoing Mafia rounds and sign-up threads. Perhaps this would de-clutter the Mafia subforum.

Over time, old threads do "disappear" from view, but may be recalled using the forum drop down lists. I am perfectly happy letting things stay as they are, but have suggested a few options going forward.

Doesn't really matter what I say, you will find an excuse against it
    I am not against your idea(s) jsut to be contrary. I actually know what I speak of, I have been a mod, at a time when the forum was much more active and there were many more true trolls. I would leave for several hours and come back to more posts to mod in just that small period of time than you have to mod in a week. It is interesting to note even then, the mafia forum was pretty much self controlling and was an haven for sanity for the mods. My issue is you are new here and now are changing things just to change things so you have less work, you seem to be doing this with out having observed what goes on here and with out a thought to the impact your actions have.

Quote Originally Posted by SMod polkadot View Post
    Hello RPGers,

I appreciate the discussion Mod Dark Tower has opened up for you. He is willing to listen, and so am I. Please forgive him as it may not have been known to him that it is only in Mafia are you allowed to Double Post. He is a new Moderator (to this domain), so please be kind and give him time to navigate and understand our domain better; to better serve the community.

I would like to take the time to provide you with my own thoughts on how to proceed.

One thing I have noticed: Sign-Up threads are not closed/locked after the game thread round has ended. Would you prefer that we close it after? Or, the other option could be to create a new thread where all past sign-up threads are moved into (like an archive). The only active threads would be current ongoing Mafia rounds and sign-up threads. Perhaps this would de-clutter the Mafia subforum.

Over time, old threads do "disappear" from view, but may be recalled using the forum drop down lists. I am perfectly happy letting things stay as they are, but have suggested a few options going forward.
    I would prefer to leave things as they are. They have not caused a problem before, this is one of the most well mannered sub-forums, people leave outside stuff outside....and if/when they drag stuff in, the mafia community quickly points out the error of their ways, we are also quick to point out that double posting is only for mafia game threads and is not to be used anywhere else. We understand we have been granted special variance, we are grateful.

Senior Community Moderator SMOD polkadot's Avatar

Leave things as they are, excellent.

I will allow some others to chime in before we close down this discussion.

Thank you all for your feedback, it has been much appreciated.

As I'd noted in pm to Darktower, I normally lock my sign up threads at game commencement.
    I still don't mind which way it goes but with my round due to end shortly, a resolution sooner rather than later would be ideal.

"The edge of the world and all of Western civilization"

I don't mind combining sign ups & game thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Arnold View Post
    Now go on you, shoo!

The country with the world's longest official name

I'm too lazy to form my own opinion; I agree with Flossie.