View Poll Results: Is the killing of this man justified?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Justified

4 30.77%
  • Unjustified

6 46.15%
  • Haven't decided

3 23.08%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: North Carolina's outrage

Quote Originally Posted by Woden View Post
    Yeah, my understanding is that they've become much less popular after some high-profile incidents resulted from them (including an elderly woman getting shot to death in an unjustified drug raid, and a toddler getting severe burns from a flash-bang; those are both just examples from Georgia).
    Damn elderly and children, ruining everything for everyone else! What's next? Spicy food?! They can take my life, but they can never take my THAI FOOD!

Consul

Quote Originally Posted by 5m4llP0X View Post
    Also: they claimed they saw a vial of PCP in another report
    Well, it's not like the police would ever plant evidence in an attempt to justify their murderous deeds...oh, wait:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b08d73b82f4d49

*The video actually starts at about 1:15*

Just one of the many chapters in the official "Police Officer's Guide On How To Make The Community You Serve Hate You"

Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    Well, it's not like the police would ever plant evidence in an attempt to justify their murderous deeds...oh, wait:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b08d73b82f4d49

*The video actually starts at about 1:15*

Just one of the many chapters in the official "Police Officer's Guide On How To Make The Community You Serve Hate You"
    Which is why I want to see the autopsy report. In her defense, though, he was acting severely off in the videos and the call about him claiming the car is gonna blow up lends credence to the drug claim.

This is strange.

Then:

I'm pretty certain you can see what is on the seats of the vehicle from either side. So this seems inconsistent to me. Also: they claimed they saw a vial of PCP in another report...actually...This sums up my issues:
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/21/us/ter...-counterpoint/
    Just pointing out that she said the car was running, and that he ran from it yelling it was "about to blow." Suspect could very well have been suffering from a drug induced psychotic episode. That being said, it's pretty tragic for all involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    Just pointing out that she said the car was running, and that he ran from it yelling it was "about to blow." Suspect could very well have been suffering from a drug induced psychotic episode. That being said, it's pretty tragic for all involved.
    I think it was someone called in and said he screamed "about to blow". But yes, very tragic.

Well, it's not like the police would ever plant evidence in an attempt to justify their murderous deeds...
    Yeah, like others said, that's why I'm waiting on the tox report; that's going to be the real clincher, IMO. If he was indeed high on PCP at the time of death, then her story becomes highly plausible (and, therefore, there would have been reasonable belief that he was an imminent threat), while if he wasn't high, then it appears to be more of a cover-up story for an unjustified shooting.

Yeah, like others said, that's why I'm waiting on the tox report; that's going to be the real clincher, IMO. If he was indeed high on PCP at the time of death, then her story becomes highly plausible (and, therefore, there would have been reasonable belief that he was an imminent threat), while if he wasn't high, then it appears to be more of a cover-up story for an unjustified shooting.
    If he comes up clean I'm really gonna wonder why he was as strange as he was. Nervous breakdown?

If he comes up clean I'm really gonna wonder why he was as strange as he was. Nervous breakdown?
    Could be anything, really. Maybe an anxiety disorder of some sort. We'd really have to dig into the guy's personal life to even make a guess.
    Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi loqui debuit ac potuit.

[7:32 AM] Jason (Al Bundy raidslave): Who the **** loses an arti to 18 phalanx
    [7:32 AM] Old Timer US1: The same faction that loses one to 66 legos

Consul

If he was indeed high on PCP at the time of death, then her story becomes highly plausible...
    Well, except for the whole non-violent and unarmed thing.

If you understand the effects of PCP you'd know that can and does change at a moment's notice without reason.

1) Unarmed does not equate to not dangerous.

2) Being unarmed at that instant does not mean that they are not actively trying to arm themselves. If somebody (particularly if they are already being confrontational or uncooperative) reaches for (or into) their car, the officers have no way of being sure that they aren't reaching for a gun. When the situation has already been escalated, that is a bad move for the suspect to make, and that is blatantly obvious with even the slightest bit of common sense.

3) Likewise, non-violent doesn't mean that they aren't about to become violent, particularly if they are already being confrontational or they are acting erratically.

Is somebody being unarmed and non-violent a factor that should be considered? Yes, certainly. Is it the end-all, be-all of the discussion? Hell no, and the way you often try to paint it to be such is simply childish.

I saw the video, the guy had both his arms so..
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

Consul

Unarmed does not equate to not dangerous.
    Correct, but unless the person in question is acting in an aggressive manner toward anyone or themselves, I have an extremely difficult time accepting the use of deadly force.

Also, because I guess it needs to be repeated, non-compliance does not automatically equate to violence.

This man, while behaving peculiar, was not aggressive or moving in what I would consider to be a threatening manner. The driver's side window was rolled up, so we know he wasn't reaching into the car for anything. In the end, it sure appears to me as though Shelby, like too many other officers, allowed her fear to spiral out of control and ended up taking a life.

Being unarmed at that instant does not mean that they are not actively trying to arm themselves. If somebody (particularly if they are already being confrontational or uncooperative) reaches for (or into) their car, the officers have no way of being sure that they aren't reaching for a gun. When the situation has already been escalated, that is a bad move for the suspect to make, and that is blatantly obvious with even the slightest bit of common sense.
    He was unarmed not just in an instance, but the entire time. Also, as stated above, we saw that the driver's side window was rolled up and we saw that he didn't open the door.

3) Likewise, non-violent doesn't mean that they aren't about to become violent, particularly if they are already being confrontational or they are acting erratically.
    Non-violent is non-violent. You don't kill someone because they might become violent.

Her claim is that the window was down. I call that claim BS and she already admitted to looking in the SUV so she should have known what was on the driver side even if it was down. If he was going for the door, though, I can see grounds for a taser as technically he was under arrest (She goes through the list of charges, including public intox which would have required a test) before shooting if the taser was ineffective but not at the same time.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/charlotte...062125956.html

Video of when the NC man was shot. Doesn't show much but how many times do you say drop the gun before you shoot?
    Last edited by Foley; 09-24-2016 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foley View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/charlotte...062125956.html

Video of when the NC man was shot. Doesn't show much but how many times do you say drop the gun before you shoot?
    This thread was a typeo. It's supposed to be the Tulsa man, OP messed up. The OTHER thread devolved into NC (my one about Kapernick)

It was a stalled vehicle situation.

They, the police, could have just asked if he needed a tow truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post

She probably did. But, according to her, he was incoherently rambling and not responding.

Not to mention sneaking up on her.

She probably did. But, according to her, he was incoherently rambling and not responding.
    She could call a PERT (psychiatric emergency response team).

They should have called for medical response once they secured him.
    “There is no definitive visual evidence that he had a gun in his hand, you can see something in the hand, and that he pointed it at an officer. That I did not visually see in the video,” Putney said. “But what we do see is compelling evidence that, when you put all the pieces together, supports that."

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

So they heard his wife saying he doesn't have a gun, and at worst he looks confused. That didn't look aggressive at all to me. They shot him anyway. It's fear run rampant, and the whole "bash the BLM" is only making it worse. The police should NOT be so scared that they shoot and kill like that. They have no reason to be. They need better training.
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    So they heard his wife saying he doesn't have a gun, and at worst he looks confused. That didn't look aggressive at all to me. They shot him anyway. It's fear run rampant, and the whole "bash the BLM" is only making it worse. The police should NOT be so scared that they shoot and kill like that. They have no reason to be. They need better training.
    Amazing you can see his face on such grainy video. Also: he had a gun.

Even if you use non-lethal force on blacks being aggressive, everyone is still mad. Make up your minds.
    https://gma.yahoo.com/tulsa-police-o...opstories.html

That provides a lot more information about the before-recording portion of the encounter than most of the other articles I've seen, and definitely has me leaning a lot more in her favor than I was before.

Also, one of our police officer patients came in today, and we ended up talking with him a bit about the shootings. He said that, having watched the video, he thinks that she reflex fired, and noted that the police protocols here require an officer using a taser to say "Taser! Taser! Taser!" as they use it to make sure that other officers don't mistakenly think a lethal weapon is being used.
    Last edited by Woden; 09-25-2016 at 06:04 AM.

That provides a lot more information about the before-recording portion of the encounter than most of the other articles I've seen, and definitely has me leaning a lot more in her favor than I was before.

Also, one of our police officer patients came in today, and we ended up talking with him a bit about the shootings. He said that, having watched the video, he thinks that she reflex fired, and noted that the police protocols here require an officer using a taser to say "Taser! Taser! Taser!" as they use it to make sure that other officers don't mistakenly think a lethal weapon is being used.
    I still think the videos show the window up, especially in the helicopter video. Also: she looked into the SUV so she could have seen if something was on the driver-side seat.

How long did she have to look inside the vehicle, though? And what was she looking for inside? If she only had time for a brief glance, or she was looking for occupants, then there is no basis for assuming that she would be sure that there was no weapon. Heck, even if she did specifically look for a weapon, that doesn't mean that there couldn't be a gun under the seat, in the center compartment, or somewhere else difficult/impossible to spot from outside.

Likewise, how certain are we that she could even tell that the window was up? Did she initially look in the car from the passenger side or driver side? Did she have a reasonably clear line of sight on the window from where she stood during the confrontation? I can't tell, and those two questions could potentially mean that she wasn't able to tell if the window was up or not.

How long did she have to look inside the vehicle, though? And what was she looking for inside? If she only had time for a brief glance, or she was looking for occupants, then there is no basis for assuming that she would be sure that there was no weapon. Heck, even if she did specifically look for a weapon, that doesn't mean that there couldn't be a gun under the seat, in the center compartment, or somewhere else difficult/impossible to spot from outside.

Likewise, how certain are we that she could even tell that the window was up? Did she initially look in the car from the passenger side or driver side? Did she have a reasonably clear line of sight on the window from where she stood during the confrontation? I can't tell, and those two questions could potentially mean that she wasn't able to tell if the window was up or not.
    Point, but if the gun is in anywhere difficult to see then it would be difficult to reach through just an open window.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5adHJhGC5k
    I was wrong, window is down. 18 seconds in pause it. Very clearly down. 45 seconds as well. Compare it with rear driver side and you can see the tint contrast.
    I still think the taser would have been the better option and not to close in on him, but that is me.
    I will give her respect, though, she turned herself in and posted bail.
    Last edited by 5m4llP0X; 09-25-2016 at 07:05 AM.

I saw 8 CMPD cops hounding this elderly black lady in her car, which was surrounded by four cruisers. They saw me watching as I walked by and stared me down then left shortly after.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

Good for you giving the mean eyed state! You may have saved her life!

He was of course high on PCP.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post

Not guilty.