Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coven Mafia (Game Thread)

Default Coven Mafia (Game Thread)

Introduction
    Please allow me to introduce myself; I'm a man of wealth and taste. I've been around for a long long year, stole many a man's soul to waste. And I was around when Jesus Christ had his moment of doubt and pain. Made damn sure that Pilate washed his hands and sealed his fate.

Pleased to meet you; hope you've guessed my name. But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game.

You awaken one midsummer Sunday in this, the Year of Our Lord 1692, in the British colony of Massachusetts. You head on down to church like a good Protestant, and during the sermon, you are surprised to learn that the Devil has infested the town of Salem! (*gasp*) You must find the afflicted women and purge the devil from their souls, or the entire colony will fall under his shadow.

Round Information

Roles

Witches
    Wins if the number of witches in town is greater than or equal to the number of townsfolk.

Ann Foster -- Ann is reported to be the leader of "the afflicted" women. A wealthy widow, she is said to commune directly with Satan himself. Appears innocent if investigated by the priest. (Sends in the witch team's daily kill; AKA Godfather)
    Mary Walcott -- Mary is a little strange. If she lived in 2016, we'd say she has "OCD." She likes to keep things very clean. She must have given her soul to the devil. (Kills made by Walcott will hide the role of the target from the KP; AKA Janitor)
    Ann Putnam -- Another widow; her children report her because they want her estate. She knows how to hold a grudge...(Kills made by Ann do not appear until a day later; AKA Poisoner)
    Mary Lacy -- One of the few young women to be "afflicted." The town harlot; it's not hard to see why she has been accused of witchery by the theocratic authorities. (Lacy can roleblock 1 player per night; AKA Prostitute)
    Witchy Woman -- no special role other than being a witchy woman. (AKA Mafia Goon)

Townsfolk
    Wins if the town contains 0 witches.

Thomas Hinckley -- Royal Governor of Massachusetts; has the power to prevent the town from doing something foolish. (Once per game, may prevent the lynch; AKA governor)
    Priest -- Knows if you've been bad or good; the priest can smell a witch when he sees one. (Investigates 1 player per night; AKA Cop)
    Smith -- The town blacksmith may choose to give a townsfolk a suit of armor, protecting him/her from being killed by any mafioso except the poisoner that night, or may choose to take a justice into his own quite capable hands that night. (AKA Elite Bodyguard / Vigilante)
    Apothecary -- Expert at bloodletting and balancing the humours. (AKA Doctor)
    Concerned Citizen -- No special role other than being s devout Protestant. (AKA vanilla townie)

Independents
    See each role for how to win if you get that role.

Black Cat -- May bring bad luck to 2 players of his choice. Also, great at purring. And snuggling. Not that you would know that, since black cats are creatures of the devil. Anyway, wins as long as is alive at the end of the game. (Switches what happens to 2 players each night; AKA Bus Driver)
    Chief Dances With the Wind -- Chief is mighty pissed that the settlers have clear cut his forest and planted cornfields. Wants revenge. So every other night, he takes the scalp of a white person. Take that, white people! (Can kill 1 player every other night; AKA Serial Killer)

Disclaimer: The above role list contains all possible roles. Every player is one of these roles, but not all of these roles are used.

Round Specific Rules
    1) Votes are due by 8:30PM Eastern each day. If your vote is late, it will not count. KP will be posted at 9.
    2) Weak hammer rule is in effect: if any player receives 2/3 of all votes (rounded down, but it must come to at least 1/2), the voting phase will end immediately, and the round will move on as soon as I have all roles or 8:30PM is reached. Rule suspended due to popular demand.
    3) Play to win. Playing for the lulz is acceptable, but if you intentionally lose for your team, it will make me unhappy.
    4) No Lynch (NL) is allowed Night 1 only.
    5) Hard Roleclaiming is not allowed. Soft roleclaiming, even to the point of ridiculous obviousness, will be tolerated.

All other rules are standard. For the benefit of those of you new to the game, I have included standard mafia rules and abbreviations below.

Standard Rules:
    1) Don't edit your posts. Messed up? Just double post. It's OK.
    2) Bold your votes / unvotes. ("Vote: mbstokem")
    3) Do not communicate about mafia with other players outside the mafia thread unless you are either (a) in the mafia team and communicating with other players on the mafia team, or (b) have been told you are allowed to by the host.
    4) When you're dead, you can post stuff in [haunt] tags but please do not try to influence the game this way. It's rude to influence the thoughts of the living!

Standard abbreviations / lingo:
    "EBWOP" = "edit by way of post" -- you can lead off a double post like this since you can't edit your first.
    "LYLO" = "Lynch or Lose" -- refers to the point in the game where the town must lynch a mafia member or loses the game.
    "NL" = "No Lynch"
    "KP" = Kill Post; host post that moves the game along to the next day.
    "Scum" = "mafia." Saying "so and so seems scummy" is "so and so sounds like they're mafia."

Last edited by The Burninator; 10-02-2016 at 02:48 PM.

Player List: (2/10)
    Deadpool -- was Ann Foster.
    Blazin -- was a Concerned Citizen.
    Stokemsauce -- was Mary Lacy.
    Rok -- was a Concerned Citizen.
    Luisssssss -- was a Concerned Citizen.
    SC -- was a Concerned Citizen.
    MK -- was the Black Cat.
    Eric -- was the Smith.
    Valy of the Nor -- was the Priest.
    Cis -- was a Concerned Citizen.

KP's & Announcements
    Game Start
    Kill Post #1
    Kill Post #2
    Kill Post #3
    Kill Post #4

Mafia Wins
    Last edited by The Burninator; 10-06-2016 at 01:08 AM.

The country with the world's longest official name

When are roles going out? What happens in a tied vote? Are you aware that 2/4 players voting will be a hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse-Keyboard View Post
    When are roles going out? What happens in a tied vote? Are you aware that 2/4 players voting will be a hammer?
    Roles will go out tomorrow afternoon / evening. I'm splitting up my work as much as I can because I'm in the process of moving unexpectedly

And I'll edit the rule so it's 2/3 rounded down but it must be >50%. Ty for the catch.

What's a hammer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    What's a hammer?
    If 2/3 or more votes are on a single person, that is a hammer. A hammer means that the day will end immediately and the lynch will happen. It's an instant kill on anyone who gets that many votes. Does this make sense to you?

vote Cis
    Reason: No lynch is for.. well, I can't say anything that is politically correct. Plus, I owe her.
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    If 2/3 or more votes are on a single person, that is a hammer. A hammer means that the day will end immediately and the lynch will happen. It's an instant kill on anyone who gets that many votes. Does this make sense to you?
    What if the governor stops the lynch?

Thanks, I figured it out after I finished reading post. This is why I need you guys to type slower, I can't read very fast because I get distrac oh crap, a bee.

I won't proceed with the lynch until I receive confirmation from roles. If there is a governor in play and the governor wants to stop the lynch, then this will be allowed. However once a hammer is set, votes will be locked. (Once someone is hammered the lynch is *locked* on them. Governor can stop any lynch, though, including this one.)

I won't proceed with the lynch until I receive confirmation from roles. If there is a governor in play and the governor wants to stop the lynch, then this will be allowed. However once a hammer is set, votes will be locked. (Once someone is hammered the lynch is *locked* on them. Governor can stop any lynch, though, including this one.)
    So the KP won't be posted until the original; deadline, or when all roles are in?

So the KP won't be posted until the original; deadline, or when all roles are in?
    Correct.

First of all, it took me way too long to realize what you did with my name. I am ashamed. Secondly, I disagree with the hammer rule in a game this small. It can easily lead to very quick, no discussion days when there is a bandwagon, and after a couple days is a HUGE advantage towards the mafia. Happy to play however you decide, just wanted to put in my two cents.

No one gets lynched.

If other posters agree with Valy I will remove the rule. I felt that it was a weak hammer -- you need 7 players on N1, out of 10. That's a ton IMO.

Anyway you'll all hear from me again tomorrow at some point when you get PMs from me with your roles.

Good witch hunting!
    Last edited by The Burninator; 09-30-2016 at 02:54 AM.

I'd tend to agree. When the rounds are as small as they are there is no need for a hammer. Especially when there are roles which have an effect on the hammer itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan Crane
    Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

If other posters agree with Valy I will remove the rule. I felt that it was a weak hammer -- you need 7 players on N1, out of 10. That's a ton IMO.

Anyway you'll all hear from me again tomorrow at some point when you get PMs from me with your roles.

Good witch hunting!
    Which is very true. But say on night 3 you're 3 people down, if you No Lynch night 1, you're looking at 7 people, or 4 people needed. Two decent mafia can go nuts, wait till a single vote is placed and add theirs. Thats 3 of the 4 votes needed right there, and with a decent mafia is going to be hammer. Two more village down, you have 5 players. Mafia almost invoke hammer alone.

I've suspended the rule .

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

Vote: Blazin

I had to hold back last round, so this time, I'm in early.
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    Vote: Blazin

I had to hold back last round, so this time, I'm in early.
    What a witch like thing to do.

Community Moderator Mod Deadpool's Avatar

No PM?

Announcement:

Roles have been sent. Game begins. First KP deadline is Sunday at 8:30PM. If I have all votes and roles before then, I will move forward.

"Remember, Sin is always crouching at your door, waiting for the moment it will seep into your soul...

Corrupt you...

And deliver you unto Satan. "
    ~ Ann Putnam, "Afflicted."

If you are a witch raise your hand.

Alright ....

Vote: Cis
    Reason : I KNOW YOU ARE ANN FOSTER !!!!! *eats popcorn vigorously*
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    Aw, you shouldn't have.
    Don't you have a hole to die in?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rasputin View Post
    Alright ....

Is it because you're a Witchy Woman?
    Quote Originally Posted by mbstokem View Post
    o ya. i hope he goes back to it. i liked my name being in some1's sig

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rasputin View Post
    Alright ....

Have you played mafia before?

Vote: Luisssssss
    Reason:
    Is Luissssss

Vote: MK
    Reason:
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov
    There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan Crane
    Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

vote: Scarebird
    Quote Originally Posted by mbstokem View Post
    o ya. i hope he goes back to it. i liked my name being in some1's sig

Vote: Valynor!

I wanna be elected.

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

Does my vote count if it was before the start?
    Just in case:
    Vote Blazin
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

Vote: Luisssssss
    Reason:
    Is Luissssss
    I am pretty awesome.

Vote: No Lynch

Quote Originally Posted by Luisss View Post
    I am pretty awesome.

Vote: No Lynch
    Deflecting? That's witch behaviour!

Unvote: Luisss
    Vote: Luisss

Community Moderator Mod Deadpool's Avatar

Vote: No Lynch.

Unvote: Luisss
    Vote: The Burninator
    Reason:
    Making us wait ages for the first KP.

At present I do not have all votes and roles. As a reminder, all votes and roles are due tomorrow at 8:30 pm. If they are all in by today at that time, I will try to put up a KP. Don't have internet yet at my new place, but I do have a phone!

vote:Rok
    Seems especially eager to get rid of Blazin.

I like this. It's a day ahead which gives me more time to forget to vote.

Vote count?

Vote count?
    You guys are a mess.

Vote count:
    2: No Lynch (Luisss, Deadpool)
    1: Cis (Eric)
    1: Luisss (MK)
    1: MK (SC)
    1: Valy (Valy)
    1: Blaze (Rok)
    1: Rok (Cis)
    1: SC (mb)
    Last edited by The Burninator; 10-02-2016 at 02:45 PM.

Unvote: The Burninator
    Vote: No Luinchhh
    Reason:
    I still think Burn should be lynched (both for the endless KP wait and ignoring my vote for him).