Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 81 to 120 of 154

Thread: Atheism

  1. #81
    Philosopher cofc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Back to Oz.
    Posts
    4,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    Q: is there a God?
    A: (faitheist) No.
    Fixed for accuracy.

  2. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    Sign me up for this as well.

    Be nice if the Ancients didn't impose so many of their own rules on it, though. And the Ori weren't around
    The Ori stayed in their own galaxy and the ancients in theirs. You could steal a few thousand humans and create your own empire in another galaxy. Like maybe the Asgard's
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

  3. #83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirveri View Post
    Not at all. It's simply a matter of apples and oranges. Agnostic is the anti version of Gnostic, or knowledge. Theism deals with belief in God, if you believe in a God(s) then you are a theist. If you don't then you are an atheist. Agnosticism has nothing to do with it because it's not on the same discussion level. It's like asking which sport a person likes to play, and then they say they really enjoy watching basketball. They might both be about sports, but one question is not the other.
    Exactly. Agnostic is a precursor to a belief. Agnostic means you aren't completely sure in your belief. You therefore have four choices. Agnostic atheist, Agnostic theist, Gnostic Theist, and Gnostic Atheist.

    The first and third is the most populous. While atheists are steadfast in their beliefs, it's due to the lack of evidence, so they err on the side of skepticism. But if evidence presented itself, they would change their model of understanding, as we've done with our scientific models countless times.

    TB and other agnostic theists like to act as if they're the golden goose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

  4. #84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    Q: is there a God?
    A: (atheist) No.
    A: (theist) yes, he's like this <story>.
    A: (agnostic) I really don't know.
    Q: Is there an invisible purple elephant inside my garage?

    A: (Rationalist) No, that's absurd, unless you can show me evidence supporting your statement?
    A: (Conspiracy theorist) Yes. It makes my life more interesting. Let me create evidence to support my own conclusion.
    A: (Transcendentalist/Hipster) Anything is possible, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

  5. #85
    Artisan Eric Rasputin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    You don't need to know
    Posts
    902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    Q: Is there an invisible purple elephant inside my garage?

    A: (Rationalist) No, that's absurd, unless you can show me evidence supporting your statement?
    A: (Conspiracy theorist) Yes. It makes my life more interesting. Let me create evidence to support my own conclusion.
    A: (Transcendentalist/Hipster) Anything is possible, man.
    You have to spread some reputation around before giving it to Sapient again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    Aw, you shouldn't have.
    Don't you have a hole to die in?

  6. #86
    Consul Lurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Midwest U.S.
    Posts
    5,574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valynor View Post
    the belief that there is a higher power
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirveri View Post
    So which God does the Agnostic in that situation believe in?
    Two different things. Sirv, you're talking past him. Higher power does not always necessitate there being God, insofar as God = some form of omniscient/omnipresent being. You can believe in a higher power in a vague sense, as in, there is something greater than humans that has some degree of control over events in the universe, but without wielding powers that would normally be associated with "God."

    I like the phrase "higher power." It's honest enough to acknowledge the possibility of a form of quasi-divinity, but also open-ended enough to avoid the *****torm that is invoked whenever religion comes into a conversation.

    To say that agnostics necessarily believe in a "God," or to say that "higher power = God," is an oversimplification and is disrespectful, IMO. To do so is to invoke (beg) the Epicurean Question that the "higher power" solution attempts to satisfy.
    Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi loqui debuit ac potuit.

    [7:32 AM] Jason (Al Bundy raidslave): Who the **** loses an arti to 18 phalanx
    [7:32 AM] Old Timer US1: The same faction that loses one to 66 legos

  7. #87

    Default

    Theism in a broad sense is belief in a higher power.. Not necessarily a God
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

  8. #88
    Artisan Eric Rasputin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    You don't need to know
    Posts
    902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    Theism in a broad sense is belief in a higher power.. Not necessarily a God
    I don't know. Theism means belief in God if you ask me. Can be any one of the thousands that humans have made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    Aw, you shouldn't have.
    Don't you have a hole to die in?

  9. #89
    Consul The Burninator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Great Garden State
    Posts
    8,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    Q: Is there an invisible purple elephant inside my garage?

    A: (Rationalist) No, that's absurd, unless you can show me evidence supporting your statement?
    A: (Conspiracy theorist) Yes. It makes my life more interesting. Let me create evidence to support my own conclusion.
    A: (Transcendentalist/Hipster) Anything is possible, man.
    Whether there is a God <no story> isn't like that.

    Imagine you're in a prison underground in Wyoming with no access to the weather, and you're asked whether it is raining somewhere specific in Florida. (Where it happens to be raining / not raining about half the time.)

    Is the default answer yes or no?

    Not obvious.

    That's like God <no story>. I have no intuition about whether the universe makes more sense with or without an undefined power.

    Now, I also specifically said this:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    Now, there are many religions that I know *must* be false because they claim contradictions. (Religion can't be true if it claims both P and ~P, because both cannot be true in fact.) But this still leaves open the question of God. (Even if I showed that every religion known to man is false, I would not have demonstrated that God doesn't exist; I would only have demonstrated that every religion is false.)
    Your example is exactly such a case. If a thing is invisible it cannot also have a color. Thus, my answer is "that thing literally cannot exist, so it does not exist."
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    Exactly. Agnostic is a precursor to a belief. Agnostic means you aren't completely sure in your belief. You therefore have four choices. Agnostic atheist, Agnostic theist, Gnostic Theist, and Gnostic Atheist.

    The first and third is the most populous. While atheists are steadfast in their beliefs, it's due to the lack of evidence, so they err on the side of skepticism. But if evidence presented itself, they would change their model of understanding, as we've done with our scientific models countless times.

    TB and other agnostic theists like to act as if they're the golden goose.
    A couple comments:
    1) if you read what I wrote you'd know that I AM sure of my answer. I am certain that human beings are not the kinds of beings with the ability to discover the answer to the question they ask when they ask "is there a god?" It's like asking for the exact position and momentum of an electron. You just can't know that. Maybe there is a kind of being with more information than you who could know, but we are not that kind of being. I am not saying "I don't know, convince me," I'm saying "I don't know, and you who think you do are mistaken."

    2) I don't see why the default is skepticism on whether there is a god <no story>. Once you start assigning any attributes to a god, the probability of accuracy starts dropping quite fast; so even with 1 or 2 characteristics you can say "seems unlikely" even if it's not self contradictory. But I don't know why the default belief regarding an undefined God should be "doesn't exist" rather than "IDK." If a physicist is asked if there are particles that spontaneously appear and disappear in a vacuum before the discovery of vacuum particles, and it is specified that those particles are too small for his instruments to have detected, he should say "I don't know, you've just said the particles are too small to detect, so if they were there I wouldn't know! I have no evidence." Turns out that such particles *do* exist.

    The only difference between that and the undefined question of God is that for the physicist, he can come up with an instrument to see smaller, shorter lived particles, and find evidence. But a god is the kind of thing you can't even develop coherent evidence for. So there's no chance of ever figuring it out.

    So I dunno why the default answer should be "doesn't exist" instead of "I don't know if it exists because you defined an object I can't have epistemic access to."

    3) note how you accused me of attacking atheists personally -- as crazy fringe believers -- without evidence. Which poster, me or you, has stuck solely to discussing ideas, and which of us has now tried to bring the character of the other poster into play?
    Last edited by The Burninator; 12-22-2016 at 04:06 PM.

  10. #90
    Philosopher н-υ-п-т-ε-я's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    in my body of course
    Posts
    1,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rasputin View Post
    If you yourself cannot comprehend what you're thinking, how is it valid? You sure you haven't lost your mind?
    like someone can explain something they never experience at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Avicenna
    That whose existence is necessary must necessarily be one essence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumi
    What you are seeking is also seeking you.

  11. #91
    Consul The Blazin1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murica... **** yeah
    Posts
    6,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    I'm agnostic. By this I mean that on the big question ("does God exist,") I do not know the answer. I believe that this answer is the most intellectually honest position. For, unlike most facts, the existence of a higher power is a question that would require a person to step outside their frame of reference to verify. If you ask whether it is raining, I can use information I can verify to find the answer. If you ask about the existence of God, I cannot. Thus, as far as I know, I don't know.

    Now, there are many religions that I know *must* be false because they claim contradictions. (Religion can't be true if it claims both P and ~P, because both cannot be true in fact.) But this still leaves open the question of God. (Even if I showed that every religion known to man is false, I would not have demonstrated that God doesn't exist; I would only have demonstrated that every religion is false.)


    No. Your potential employer has no right to ask your religious affiliation before hiring you. If they do, you should respectfully decline to answer, and pivot ask if they would be interested in talking about your qualifications for the job or some such. This isn't a question of skin color; if you don't say "I'm an atheist," no one will know.

    Now, do people express preferences for people who believe the same way they do on any number of issues? Yes, they do. Is that a bad thing? Probably. Should it be illegal? Eh... No. People should just be taught how to be better people better.

    QFT.

    I find most organized religions distasteful, but my distaste for the faith does not necessarily extend to the faithful.

    Don't quite identify as atheist, but I'd say the answer is "it depends on the kind of afterlife." Is it eternal suffering? I'll pass. Is it just my consciousness free of my body, free to go wherever I want? Sign me up.

    Why not?

    I don't reckon that you can choose your beliefs that way. You can't believe it isn't raining just because you want it to be a nice day. You can want it to be a nice day, but that's independent of your belief as to whether or not it is a nice day.

    So if someone is saying "I believe in God because I want there to be an afterlife," I suspect that this is either a tacit admission that they do not, in fact, believe in God, or that they believe in God for some other reason. That other reason could be closely related, though. "I can't imagine that the universe would be so depressing as to allow for fixed length consciousness, so I must believe in an afterlife. And to do that I must believe in a god." That's legal in logic. I don't see why the starting premise should be disallowed, as Sapient suggests in his response.

    I don't agree with the starting premise, but it's coherent.
    You realize there is a difference between hoping and believing right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

    It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

  12. #92

    Default

    I can't do these walls of texts at work....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

  13. #93
    Consul The Blazin1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murica... **** yeah
    Posts
    6,858

    Default

    You should probably work, but whatever, I'm not paying you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

    It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

  14. #94
    Consul The Burninator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Great Garden State
    Posts
    8,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    You realize there is a difference between hoping and believing right?
    Obviously. Do you have a corollary or is that all?

  15. #95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    You should probably work, but whatever, I'm not paying you.
    Lol, okay. I can multitask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

  16. #96
    Consul The Blazin1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murica... **** yeah
    Posts
    6,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    Obviously. Do you have a corollary or is that all?
    Is that you Rok? I asked a simple question to the athiests, it had nothing to do with beliefs, no right or wrong answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

    It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

  17. #97
    Consul Rokchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    -32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm
    Posts
    8,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    Is that you Rok? I asked a simple question to the athiests, it had nothing to do with beliefs, no right or wrong answer.
    Careful. Now I feel like you are approving my not involving myself in theocratic and philosophic discussions. Please don't do that, it makes me feel all dirty....
    Here - The concept of right and wrong, when presented in a religious context, with afterlife rewards is meaningless and often conflicts with less morally ambiguous right and wrong concepts.
    Phew, now I feel better.
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

  18. #98

    Meherrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a universe of my own design
    Posts
    4,208

    Default

    Unless the accepted definition of atheist includes non-theists of faith, such as certain kinds of animists, Taoists, some wiccan and a few other spiritual groups - and I don't think it does, as most atheists I know wouldn't accept as one of them someone who, say, believes that all material things are manifestations of a transdimentional allbeingness - you folks are making a spectrumof beliefs about whether there are non-physical realities into a narrow two-valued discussion. It's a lot broader than god(s) or no god(s).
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

  19. #99
    Consul The Blazin1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murica... **** yeah
    Posts
    6,858

    Default

    It's the only thing I've seen you do I approved of. I don't either really, I just wondered if athiests would like there to be more then just nothing at death. I'm not an atheist, I am about as nondenominational as possible I think. Even if I'm wrong about God, I would like to think that death is not the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

    It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

  20. #100
    Consul The Blazin1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murica... **** yeah
    Posts
    6,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    Unless the accepted definition of atheist includes non-theists of faith, such as certain kinds of animists, Taoists, some wiccan and a few other spiritual groups - and I don't think it does, as most atheists I know wouldn't accept as one of them someone who, say, believes that all material things are manifestations of a transdimentional allbeingness - you folks are making a spectrumof beliefs about whether there are non-physical realities into a narrow two-valued discussion. It's a lot broader than god(s) or no god(s).
    Can you dumb that down for me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

    It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

  21. #101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    Can you dumb that down for me?

    He's saying that the complicated discussion of religion and spirituality is being turned into a binary choice of god or no god.

  22. #102
    Consul The Burninator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Great Garden State
    Posts
    8,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valynor View Post
    He's saying that the complicated discussion of religion and spirituality is being turned into a binary choice of god or no god.
    *She

    She's right -- although I think the goal may have been to stay on thread topic. (Rare around here nowadays )

  23. #103
    Philosopher н-υ-п-т-ε-я's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    in my body of course
    Posts
    1,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    She's right -- although I think the goal may have been to stay on thread topic. (Rare around here nowadays )



    Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    Atheism is, in the broadest sense, the absence of belief in the existence of deities. [1] [2] [3] [4] Less broadly, atheism is the rejection of belief that any deities exist. [5] [6] In an even narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. [1] [2] [7] [8] Atheism is contrasted with theism, [9] [10] which, in its most general form, is the belief that at least one deity exists. [10] [11] [12]
    wouldn't atheist need to believe in soul -which probably is not scientific yet- to believe in afterlife, because the body will decompose after death, and if there is no soul it would be definitely the end!
    Quote Originally Posted by Avicenna
    That whose existence is necessary must necessarily be one essence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumi
    What you are seeking is also seeking you.

  24. #104
    Artisan Eric Rasputin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    You don't need to know
    Posts
    902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by н-υ-п-т-ε-я View Post





    wouldn't atheist need to believe in soul -which probably is not scientific yet- to believe in afterlife, because the body will decompose after death, and if there is no soul it would be definitely the end!
    I believe soul to be a human construct like time. I mean has there ever been any proof of the existence of a soul?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    Aw, you shouldn't have.
    Don't you have a hole to die in?

  25. #105
    Philosopher н-υ-п-т-ε-я's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    in my body of course
    Posts
    1,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rasputin View Post
    I believe soul to be a human construct like time.
    can it still exist when the person dies? is it existence higher than the existence of the physical body?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rasputin View Post
    I mean has there ever been any proof of the existence of a soul?
    religion. and philosophy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Avicenna
    That whose existence is necessary must necessarily be one essence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumi
    What you are seeking is also seeking you.

  26. #106
    Artisan Eric Rasputin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    You don't need to know
    Posts
    902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by н-υ-п-т-ε-я View Post
    religion. and philosophy.
    There's a saying that History is written by the victor. So, I refuse to believe in anything religion has to say.

    Philosophy in itself is a huge question mark. Not good enough for proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    Aw, you shouldn't have.
    Don't you have a hole to die in?

  27. #107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rasputin View Post
    I believe soul to be a human construct like time. I mean has there ever been any proof of the existence of a soul?
    Just out of curiosity, how would one go about proving that?

  28. #108

    Meherrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a universe of my own design
    Posts
    4,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valynor View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how would one go about proving that?
    As one person of faith (though not a theist) to another - matters of faith cannot be proved. It's an oxymoron. If any element of any religion anywhere, at any time, had been proved, then it woukd move from the arena of faith and belief to the arena of fact. There are no facts in spirituality. It's a wholly subjective experience which one chooses to believe in - that is, interpret according to one spiritual framework or another - or not.

    This is why I hold a rather dim view of anyone who tries to convince other people of their beliefs, or lack thereof. It's all a matter of subjectivity, personal choice and ibterpretation. I know what I believe, but why should that matter to anyone else?
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

  29. #109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    As one person of faith (though not a theist) to another - matters of faith cannot be proved. It's an oxymoron. If any element of any religion anywhere, at any time, had been proved, then it woukd move from the arena of faith and belief to the arena of fact. There are no facts in spirituality. It's a wholly subjective experience which one chooses to believe in - that is, interpret according to one spiritual framework or another - or not.

    This is why I hold a rather dim view of anyone who tries to convince other people of their beliefs, or lack thereof. It's all a matter of subjectivity, personal choice and ibterpretation. I know what I believe, but why should that matter to anyone else?
    That was kind of my point. I agree with you, but I also don't really buy into the whole if you can't prove it it doesn't exist argument either.

  30. #110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rasputin View Post
    I believe soul to be a human construct like time. I mean has there ever been any proof of the existence of a soul?
    I believe we could emulate the EM field and neurons into a digital representation to create an afterlife.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

  31. #111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rasputin View Post
    There's a saying that History is written by the victor. So, I refuse to believe in anything religion has to say.
    You sound like my dad. He wants to hear the devil's side. Since the Bible is God's propaganda piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

  32. #112
    Consul The Burninator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Great Garden State
    Posts
    8,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rasputin View Post
    I believe soul to be a human construct like time. I mean has there ever been any proof of the existence of a soul?
    Soul beliefs are *nothing at all* like time, which is *not* a "construct." There are actually 4 dimensions in timespace (length, width, height, duration), and you can measure all 4.

    A soul is either going to require faith or a proof.

    Personally I doubt that if there is a soul, it is anything interesting. That people with brain injuries behave very differently than before they were injured suggests that what is my personality, memories, and everything I'd think of as my "self" reside somewhere in my all-too-physical brain. (Why? If souls contained my personality or memories, you wouldn't expect people with brain damage to lose such things.) This is strong evidence that if there is a soul, I'm not interested in it. (After all, it doesn't have my memories, personality.)

  33. #113
    Artisan Eric Rasputin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    You don't need to know
    Posts
    902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    You sound like my dad. He wants to hear the devil's side. Since the Bible is God's propaganda piece.
    Yes I agree with your dad. All the bible does is talk sh** about the devil. We haven't really heard his side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    Aw, you shouldn't have.
    Don't you have a hole to die in?

  34. #114
    Consul Sirveri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    If your definition of "atheist" is that I do not identify a particular God or pantheon that I believe in, then by your definition I'm an atheist.

    I just don't think most people will roll with the way you defined the terms just there. Changes the discussion frame from how most people see it, I think.

    Q: is there a God?
    A: (atheist) No.
    A: (theist) yes, he's like this <story>.
    A: (agnostic) I really don't know.

    Asking if there's a higher power is like asking me what the exact location and momentum of an electron is. Maybe these exact values exist, but I am not really a being that is equipped to obtain that kind of information about the universe.

    I think that's a distinct position from atheism, Sirv. Why am I wrong? Why should I regard this as the same as someone who says "there is no God"?
    Atheist and Theist are binary positions. There is no middle ground, you are either one or the other. In order to be a theist you must believe in a God(s). If you do not, then you are not a theist, if you are not a theist you are an atheist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    Two different things. Sirv, you're talking past him. Higher power does not always necessitate there being God, insofar as God = some form of omniscient/omnipresent being. You can believe in a higher power in a vague sense, as in, there is something greater than humans that has some degree of control over events in the universe, but without wielding powers that would normally be associated with "God."

    I like the phrase "higher power." It's honest enough to acknowledge the possibility of a form of quasi-divinity, but also open-ended enough to avoid the *****torm that is invoked whenever religion comes into a conversation.

    To say that agnostics necessarily believe in a "God," or to say that "higher power = God," is an oversimplification and is disrespectful, IMO. To do so is to invoke (beg) the Epicurean Question that the "higher power" solution attempts to satisfy.
    Higher Power and 'Spiritualism' are just another term for God(s). Might as well talk about the difference between Allah and Jehovah at that point.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    Whether there is a God <no story> isn't like that.

    Imagine you're in a prison underground in Wyoming with no access to the weather, and you're asked whether it is raining somewhere specific in Florida. (Where it happens to be raining / not raining about half the time.)

    Is the default answer yes or no?

    Not obvious.

    That's like God <no story>. I have no intuition about whether the universe makes more sense with or without an undefined power.

    Now, I also specifically said this:

    Your example is exactly such a case. If a thing is invisible it cannot also have a color. Thus, my answer is "that thing literally cannot exist, so it does not exist."
    The default answer is always no. So in reply to your question you would be forced to answer that you do not have data on the weather in that state so you can not confirm that it is raining. (It's not raining unless you have evidence that it is raining). Therefore it's not raining because we have no evidence of rain.

    Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    As one person of faith (though not a theist) to another - matters of faith cannot be proved. It's an oxymoron. If any element of any religion anywhere, at any time, had been proved, then it woukd move from the arena of faith and belief to the arena of fact. There are no facts in spirituality. It's a wholly subjective experience which one chooses to believe in - that is, interpret according to one spiritual framework or another - or not.

    This is why I hold a rather dim view of anyone who tries to convince other people of their beliefs, or lack thereof. It's all a matter of subjectivity, personal choice and ibterpretation. I know what I believe, but why should that matter to anyone else?
    It's not a matter of it mattering, it's a matter of words mattering. Words have meaning, and they need to be used appropriately.

    My personal religious position is as an agnostic atheist apatheist. Apatheist being a custom word of my own design meaning that the ultimate question of God is irrelevant because if God does exist it does not appear to play any role in our reality, and thus can be safely ignored making the entire argument pointless. Hence it doesn't matter if God exists, hence apathy about theism, apatheism.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

  35. #115

    Default

    You stole apatheist from me on the group chat, Sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

  36. #116
    Philosopher н-υ-п-т-ε-я's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    in my body of course
    Posts
    1,622

    Default

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism

    so who wrote it first on wiki
    Quote Originally Posted by Avicenna
    That whose existence is necessary must necessarily be one essence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumi
    What you are seeking is also seeking you.

  37. #117

    Default

    http://nooga.com/164154/apatheism-sh...er-god-exists/

    There earliest source is 2023, I have earlier logs than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

  38. #118
    Consul Sirveri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,241

    Default

    To be fair, it's not exactly a difficult thought to come up with. First person I know of to use it was a French guy from the 1800's, at least according to my research.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

  39. #119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirveri View Post
    To be fair, it's not exactly a difficult thought to come up with. First person I know of to use it was a French guy from the 1800's, at least according to my research.
    He plagiarized from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

  40. #120
    Philosopher н-υ-п-т-ε-я's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    in my body of course
    Posts
    1,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    He plagiarized from me.
    Time machine -if applicable- comes from future, not the past ... Mr. Paradox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Avicenna
    That whose existence is necessary must necessarily be one essence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumi
    What you are seeking is also seeking you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •