Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheism

Default Atheism

What is Atheism to you? It doesn't matter if you're a believer or not. Do you think atheists are being discriminated in society for not believing in God? I have heard stories from many people how they couldn't get a job because they were atheists. What is your take on that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    Aw, you shouldn't have.
    Don't you have a hole to die in?

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

Many people being someone you once heard about on the internet?
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    Many people being someone you once heard about on the internet?
    No. In real life. My cousin didn't get into an accounting firm because the boss was very religious. A few of my friends were denied awards for accomplishments just because they were atheists. They were publicly ridiculed on stage by the judges(who were religious).

Stop judging, Rok, it's beginning to bore me.
    Last edited by Eric Rasputin; 12-19-2016 at 11:15 AM.
    Aw, you shouldn't have.

My workplace is gross religious. My boss invites me to church every Sunday. I assume to sacrifice me. Though I also work in SC.

And there's definitely discrimination. Look at Asheville city council. An atheist was denied acceptance because their Constitution declared a religious test to take office.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    I'm not very bright.

If discrimination against atheists were truly prevalent, people would not have to keep their religious beliefs on the down low. At least, that's how I feel about my area, which is pretty metropolitan. I do hear about people making connections at interviews from being part of the same Christian fellowships, but that's no different from making a connection over some secular affiliation.
    "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rasputin View Post
    What is Atheism to you? It doesn't matter if you're a believer or not. Do you think atheists are being discriminated in society for not believing in God? I have heard stories from many people how they couldn't get a job because they were atheists. What is your take on that?
    The vast majority of people that call themselves atheists have faith that there is no god - so they are faitheists, and the exact same as theists.

I support private discrimination, so I hope they are. But, that isn't an actual thing that happens.

What is Atheism to you?
    all the problem for different religion and nonreligion -for me- is misunderstanding.

like many people thinks they can choose who goes to hell or heaven, and they choose how to describe god, and those description and choosings which are wrong lead people out of religion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Avicenna
    That whose existence is necessary must necessarily be one essence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumi
    What you are seeking is also seeking you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    My workplace is gross religious. My boss invites me to church every Sunday. I assume to sacrifice me.
    I would wake up early and give 10% to see that lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

I wouldn't be surprised if that occured. It's terrible that group affiliation gains favor more that merit, but it exists.

I was invited a few months ago to "Landmark Forums" which has a sort of cult-like feel to it. A woman invited me, she's young, attractive, a scientist and an avid Landmark goer. I've noticed that they scout out professional and attractive people - funny how the placement works, the attractive folks where placed in front and called on the speak, while the less attractive members handled the paperwork. So people actually pay thousands of dollars to join this group which is a program for self guidance, it teaches to rid oneself of all negativity in ways of banishing negative thoughts and people - in a way similar to scientology or Mao's Great Leap Forward. The stories of 'I left contact with my mother because of her negativity on my life' where quite common which in my mind I was thinking CUUUULT! It's enticing to have beautiful women in the seats next proclaim that they would only date members of Landmark - but I just couldn't. As for nepotism, businesspeople in Landmark have said that they only hire Landmark members either from the pool or having their workers join landmark. For me the Landmark symposium for me was a cross between scientological philosophy and some Southern Baptist like coven, not my fancy. The woman that invited me is from Texas and said she grew up around church, and Landmark sort of made her feel welcome - so I imagine many churches function as weird secret societies.

I would wake up early and give 10% to see that lol.
    I always thought it was 20%? Which seemed too expensive for life ever after. I'd be willing to reconsider if you're right, I love 50% off sales.
    I'm not very bright.

I always thought it was 20%? Which seemed too expensive for life ever after. I'd be willing to reconsider if you're right, I love 50% off sales.
    According to Ben Carson's tax plan based on tithing it's 10%. Though I think it increases at a certain income level.

Perhaps you can negotiate the tithe with priests and pastors at local churches and find the best value.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    According to Ben Carson's tax plan based on tithing it's 10%. Though I think it increases at a certain income level.

Perhaps you can negotiate the tithe with priests and pastors at local churches and find the best value.
    Can you write off tithing on your taxes?
    I'm not very bright.

Can you write off tithing on your taxes?
    I never did, but I think it counts as a charitable donation.

Atheism is the lack of belief in a supernatural deity, deities, or other such influences (from a Gaia-like spirit to astrology).

From what I can see, atheism is indeed discriminated against in the US, which is not surprising considering that the US is the most ostentatiously Christian modern country I'm aware of.

In Canada, no one really cares if you're an atheist or a person of faith. In fact, about one-quarter of Canadians say they are not religious. I'm not really aware of any discrimination against atheists here, except perhaps in the hiring practices of religious organisations, which is a complex issue. Some jobs, such as church staff and clergy, require that one be of the specific faith involved. But if a church is operating a school, or hospital, or social agency like a hostel, should they be able to hire on the basis of religion? My inclination is to say no.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    Atheism is the lack of belief in a supernatural deity, deities, or other such influences (from a Gaia-like spirit to astrology).

From what I can see, atheism is indeed discriminated against in the US, which is not surprising considering that the US is the most ostentatiously Christian modern country I'm aware of.

In Canada, no one really cares if you're an atheist or a person of faith. In fact, about one-quarter of Canadians say they are not religious. I'm not really aware of any discrimination against atheists here, except perhaps in the hiring practices of religious organisations, which is a complex issue. Some jobs, such as church staff and clergy, require that one be of the specific faith involved. But if a church is operating a school, or hospital, or social agency like a hostel, should they be able to hire on the basis of religion? My inclination is to say no.
    I would say if it pertains to your job, them it's appropriate to consider it. For instance a priest vacancy gets three applicants, an imam, a Theology graduate who lost his faith and became an atheist, or a devout Christan with no formal training, but has studied the Bible. I would find the last applicant to be the most qualified.

But if a religious organization opens a hospital and has an opening for a doctor, their religious beliefs have no pertinence to the job or its duties.
    I'm not very bright.

I would say if it pertains to your job, them it's appropriate to consider it. For instance a priest vacancy gets three applicants, an imam, a Theology graduate who lost his faith and became an atheist, or a devout Christan with no formal training, but has studied the Bible. I would find the last applicant to be the most qualified.

But if a religious organization opens a hospital and has an opening for a doctor, their religious beliefs have no pertinence to the job or its duties.
    Organized religions have their own methods of replacing vacancies. I think Catholicism has a structured order that a person progresses through before becoming a priest. i.e. baptism, first communion etc. etc. I believe Islam has a similar structure where students study at Madrassas and then from there are appointed to mosques.

America is quite unique as chuches can be founded by anyone, for the purpose of charity, spreading political messages, or for personal gain.

Atheism is the lack of belief in a specific God or Gods. Depends on the society. Those people should move, or start a boycott if the location is in a highly secular area. Potentially sue, but the GOP has demolished the DoL in most areas.

And there's definitely discrimination. Look at Asheville city council. An atheist was denied acceptance because their Constitution declared a religious test to take office.
    SCOTUS ruled that is unconstitutional, and he could bring suit and would definitely win.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirveri View Post
    SCOTUS ruled that is unconstitutional, and he could bring suit and would definitely win.
    I think he did.
    I'm not very bright.

Religious organizations can discriminate in their hiring practices, including discriminating based upon things such as disabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by cofc View Post
    Religious organizations can discriminate in their hiring practices, including discriminating based upon things such as disabilities.
    I'm not saying they can't. I'm stating my opinion on the matter. I understand their right to religious expression, but I don't believe that should extend under the guise of discrimination. For instance, if they fired someone for being of another ethnic background, because their religion states not to mix of tribes, they would definitely lose in court.
    I'm not very bright.

I'm not saying they can't. I'm stating my opinion on the matter. I understand their right to religious expression, but I don't believe that should extend under the guise of discrimination. For instance, if they fired someone for being of another ethnic background, because their religion states not to mix of tribes, they would definitely lose in court.
    Based upon your vague, non-specific statement, you may be right. But depending on the facts of the case, the church/religious institution might win.

My opinion is that I fully support private discrimination in all cases and scenarios. Forcing a person or group to hire someone because they have a lot of melanin, for example, is baseless in logic, reason, and rationality.

My opinion is that I fully support private discrimination in all cases and scenarios.
    when in schools, kids bully the weak.

when in society, people discriminate the different.

when in politics, countries steal the ones with resources.

people never learn, or they don't want to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by н-υ-п-т-ε-я View Post
    when in schools, kids bully the weak.

when in society, people discriminate the different.

when in politics, countries steal the ones with resources.

people never learn, or they don't want to learn!
    Or there are people like me who do it on purpose. Just for the fun of it.
    Aw, you shouldn't have.

In my own personal experience it's actually quite the opposite. I'm sure I've missed out on things for being a man of faith. I'm not sure what I believe in, but it's not order from chaos. I dont care what your personal beliefs are, as they are all essentially beliefs. But I've experienced atheism becoming far larger and more judgemental of late than religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Valynor View Post
    But I've experienced atheism becoming far larger and more judgemental of late than religion.
    How so?
    Aw, you shouldn't have.

How so?
    Because we refuse to be in shadows anymore and refuse to keep our beliefs behind closed doors. Christians aren't used to being opposed in America.
    I'm not very bright.

Because we refuse to be in shadows anymore and refuse to keep our beliefs behind closed doors. Christians aren't used to being opposed in America.
    your god is Higgs Boson, it is everywhere, infinite in number, and does mass all the time, right?

your god is Higgs Boson, it is everywhere, infinite in number, and does mass all the time, right?
    I prefer the Bose-Einstein condensate.
    I'm not very bright.

This, more or less. I've found that now that atheism is becoming much more mainstream and accepted, they tend to come out en masse. And amusingly, they are just like Christians. The majority are nice people, but damn are there some arrogant pricks amongst them.

Quote Originally Posted by Valynor View Post
    This, more or less. I've found that now that atheism is becoming much more mainstream and accepted, they tend to come out en masse. And amusingly, they are just like Christians. The majority are nice people, but damn are there some arrogant pricks amongst them.
    How dare you speak ill of Bill Mar!
    I'm not very bright.

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

You're just catching up with the rest of the western world. Militant atheism is just as bad as militant anything else, but religions being brought into other peoples lives, laws, politics or the general social orders needs to be opposed.

I'm an atheist, and while there may be some examples of discrimination affecting atheists, I don't see it as likely to be a major social issue, even in the bible belt. That is because those who might suffer the discrimination are not a dis-empowered group by definition. There are a lot of atheists in congress, on councils, in universities, in the judiciary, on panels of sorts and there will be more. Most in elected positions just don't shout about it, because it might lose them some votes. A bit like our christians don't shout about it, because it might lose them some votes. As the numbers of open atheists rise, the potential for discrimination will fall. There are far worse examples and not rapidly improving groups being discriminated against.
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

How dare you speak ill of Bill Mar!
    Bill Maher.

Liberals like to take him out of context. So do Conservatives. Kind of funny if it wasn't so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

The current president is an atheist.

The current president is an atheist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obama
    I am a Christian, and I am a devout Christian. I believe in the redemptive death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I believe that faith gives me a path to be cleansed of sin and have eternal life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obama
    I'm a Christian by choice. My family didn't – frankly, they weren't folks who went to church every week. And my mother was one of the most spiritual people I knew, but she didn't raise me in the church. So I came to my Christian faith later in life, and it was because the precepts of Jesus Christ spoke to me in terms of the kind of life that I would want to lead – being my brothers' and sisters' keeper, treating others as they would treat me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    I'm an atheist, and while there may be some examples of discrimination affecting atheists, I don't see it as likely to be a major social issue, even in the bible belt. That is because those who might suffer the discrimination are not a dis-empowered group by definition. There are a lot of atheists in congress, on councils, in universities, in the judiciary, on panels of sorts and there will be more. Most in elected positions just don't shout about it, because it might lose them some votes. A bit like our christians don't shout about it, because it might lose them some votes. As the numbers of open atheists rise, the potential for discrimination will fall. There are far worse examples and not rapidly improving groups being discriminated against.
    Tell that to someone in the middle East.

Christians love to pretend they'd still be Christian if they weren't raised that way. When in reality they only believe those that were raised that way are true Christians. Lol
    I'm not very bright.

As athiests, would you like there to be an afterlife?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

Yeah, I'd love there to be. But wants are far different than reality. And to believe in something because you want to reap the benefits is not true belief.
    I'm not very bright.

and if they meet God in afterlife what would they say?

Please no... I'm tired of living now and I don't want to live another life. Too many problems and responsibilities.

Whenever I cross the road, I look at every speeding car and picture myself in front of it lol. College has done that to me.

Adult life is way worse than what I'm experiencing now :P
    Aw, you shouldn't have.

Please no... I'm tired of living now and I don't want to live another life. Too many problems and responsibilities.

Whenever I cross the road, I look at every speeding car and picture myself in front of it lol. College has done that to me.

Adult life is way worse than what I'm experiencing now :P
    You need some antidepressants. According to the bible, the afterlife is full of them.
    I'm not very bright.