Thread: Favourite new TV shows from the 2016-17 season

Default Favourite new TV shows from the 2016-17 season

I thought I might try a relatively uncontroversial topic and see if anyone feels like discussing it. What new shows from this season have people been watching and enjoying?

I must confess that one reason I'm asking this is that aside from Luke Cage, I haven't found anything new this year that held my interest. But with so many channels and platforms to check, I inagine I've missed some good stuff.

So... What's new and good on TV this year?
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

The Expanse is in Season 2, so it doesn't quite meet your criteria here, but it's the only still-producing show I'm following at the moment. And it's super excellent.

I'll leave this here in case anyone puts down a post about a science fiction or fantasy show I haven't heard about and sells it to me in a way that makes me wanna see it

Dear white people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

Lucifer (not brand spanking new) is a good show and often has hilarious comments in it. And the guy that plays Lucifer is smokin' hot.

I like the new 24 that started right after the Superbowl and I watched APB, which was pretty good. But both of those are brand spanking new.

If anyone has Netflix you should check out Frontier. Awesome show.

Those are the only ones I've watched recently. I don't generally like shows because then I have to wait for another season. Like Sherlock. Each "season" is only 3 shows and now I'm dying waiting for more. Which is why I like "reality type" shows more like Cops, 48 Hours, Nightwatch, Snapped, Forensic Files, etc etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    The Expanse is in Season 2, so it doesn't quite meet your criteria here, but it's the only still-producing show I'm following at the moment. And it's super excellent.

I'll leave this here in case anyone puts down a post about a science fiction or fantasy show I haven't heard about and sells it to me in a way that makes me wanna see it
    Not new shows, but have you been watching British shows Black Mirror or Humans?
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    Not new shows, but have you been watching British shows Black Mirror or Humans?
    No! I've finished B5, though -- all that's left is the movie at the end of Crusade. So I'll be hunting my next show; I'll give these a whirl.

Tons of people have recommended Westworld to me, but always the kind of things where I didn't ask that person for a recommendation (because I don't really put stock in their opinions), so while it gets points for sheer volume of recommenders, I'm still missing any recommender with real weight

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

No! I've finished B5, though -- all that's left is the movie at the end of Crusade. So I'll be hunting my next show; I'll give these a whirl.

Tons of people have recommended Westworld to me, but always the kind of things where I didn't ask that person for a recommendation (because I don't really put stock in their opinions), so while it gets points for sheer volume of recommenders, I'm still missing any recommender with real weight
    If you read the book (yeah I know it's old, and honestly I can't remember if the book was before or after the old movie, which I didn't see) then it really is worth giving Westworld a whirl. It's not really the same, but it does lend the recent version gravitas by seeing just how cleverly they've done it. If that's a thing. The production values are pretty amazing, and it does not suffer from the "look at me" acting so prevalent in many big cost productions. I'm not sure how long it will maintain my interest, but I'm not even close to dumping it yet. If you haven't read the book, then watch it anyway just for the twists, production and acting.

Add another light weight to the pile.......
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

Black Mirror is an anthology series, most episodes are very science-fiction in flavour, quality varies from simply good to outstanding.

Humans - what happens when androids designed to serve begin to have consciousness? Excellent series imo.

I watched Westwood, there was some interesting material but it was... Very HBOish. I felt there was more graphic violence and sexual content than the story required. It was a touch over the top.

So far I've enjoyed the first episode of Legion.
    Goliath was a nice one, but I doubt there will be a season 2, since all 8 episodes were released on the same day.
    Also, like Cis, I really enjoy Lucifer which is on mid-season break.
    Van Hellsing started in September, hope for a season 2 soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Muchacho NL View Post
    So far I've enjoyed the first episode of Legion.
    Goliath was a nice one, but I doubt there will be a season 2, since all 8 episodes were released on the same day.
    Also, like Cis, I really enjoy Lucifer which is on mid-season break.
    Van Hellsing started in September, hope for a season 2 soon.
    I tried Legion, didn;t work for me - I'm picky about superhero shows. But Van Helsing sounds interesting. Thanks.

I don;t know why Lucifer doesn't appeal to me, but it just doesn't.

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

I watched Westwood, there was some interesting material but it was... Very HBOish. I felt there was more graphic violence and sexual content than the story required. It was a touch over the top.
    Well yes to both. But, at least initially the graphic violence was all on the non-humans. It looked to me like a plot device to anesthetize and force a disconnect, because they looked so indistinguishably human (gosh I wonder how hey did that, LOL). But, granted, it didn't stop there. I must admit that I don't like detailed or graphic violence at all, and if i wasn't a plot device, it did work to anesthetize me to it. I can't remember what happened in the book, and I still want know how they resolve it all. If they do.
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

I tried Legion, didn;t work for me - I'm picky about superhero shows.
    Could be because this is based off X-men's Legion (Prof X's son)... so not really superhero, just a mutant. And he's more of an antihero.
    Last edited by Muchacho NL; 02-13-2017 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muchacho NL View Post
    Could be because this is based off X-men's Legion (Prof X's son)... so not really superhero, just a mutant. And he's more of an antihero.
    Yeah, I really was only into comics in the late 50s and early 60s, when I was a kid, and even then, I was mostly a reader of DC comics - though i did read Spiderman and Fantastic Four sometimes. The whole Marvel X-men universe was never part of my comics experience, and I just don't get really excited about tv shows set in that universe.