Thread: Best Science Fiction Films (according to Travian Gen Chat denizens)

Default Best Science Fiction Films (according to Travian Gen Chat denizens)

Let's have some non-political controversy. What do you consider to be the best science fiction film(s) ever made?

Discussion is encouraged, but I'd also like to have sonething quantitative to point to at the end, so... Debate all you want, but also please post a comment, at some point in the discussion, with the words "Nomination post" in the text. Nominate up to five films. Once discussion runs down (assuming there is any to begin with) I'll tabulate all the nominations and post a ranking.

I'm not doing any fancy weighting, each mention of a film is one point toward its total.

There are lots of great films out there.... Which one(s) do you think is/are the very best? Are you a Blade Runner fan? Did 2001: A Space Odessey shake your world? Is Fritz Lang's Metropolis the standard by which all other sf films are to be judged? Is the original The Thing From Another World the stuff of your deepest nightmares? Do you secretly cherish your video of Battlefield Earth? Are you obsessed with Donnie Darko? Does every billboard make you think of They Live? Does the ecowarrior sound track from Silent Running still make you weep? Do you rave over Tarkovsky's adaptation of Solaris? Or is Star Wars the greatest space film ever imagined?

Or is it some other film that you hold to your geekish heart?
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

Nomination post:

according to google's list of science fiction movies:

1.The Matrix Series!

2.Jurassic Park! I don't know how many versions are there nor I do remember which one I saw.

Also:

Ghost in the shell. not yet released, but the original anime was good!
    Quote Originally Posted by Avicenna
    That whose existence is necessary must necessarily be one essence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumi
    What you are seeking is also seeking you.

Quote Originally Posted by н-υ-п-т-ε-я View Post
    Nomination post:

according to google's list of science fiction movies:

1.The Matrix Series!

2.Jurassic Park! I don't know how many versions are there nor I do remember which one I saw.

Also:

Ghost in the shell. not yet released, but the original anime was good!
    There were four Jurassic Park movies. I know them all rather well - if you tell me what you remember about the one you saw, i'll probably be able to figure out which one you want to nominate. Plot, cast members, a significant scene you remember...
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.

Forbidden Planet. A New Hope. Still have to watch The Day the Earth Stood Still, so I'll get back to you on that one. None of my favorite films are sci fi, which is weird since all my favorite books and tv series are . I didn't think that Trek translated well into movies, even if I had a whale of a time watching them.

My nonpolitical discussion topic was easier tbh

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    Forbidden Planet. A New Hope. Still have to watch The Day the Earth Stood Still, so I'll get back to you on that one. None of my favorite films are sci fi, which is weird since all my favorite books and tv series are . I didn't think that Trek translated well into movies, even if I had a whale of a time watching them.

My nonpolitical discussion topic was easier tbh
    There are two versions of The Day the Earth Stood Still - the original one from 1951 with Michael Rennie (I cannot see that name without starting to hear 'Science Fiction Double Feature" in my brain) and the 2008 one with Keanu Reeves. The remake is prettier to look at, but I find I prefer the original.

Klaatu barada nikto.

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    There were four Jurassic Park movies. I know them all rather well - if you tell me what you remember about the one you saw, i'll probably be able to figure out which one you want to nominate. Plot, cast members, a significant scene you remember...
    I hardly remember it. but I like dinosaurs. I would probably nominate the series, since I don't really remember if I watched one or two of them.

I hardly remember it. but I like dinosaurs. I would probably nominate the series, since I don't really remember if I watched one or two of them.
    I enjoyed them all, I think the first one (with Sam Neill) and the fourth one (Jurassic World, starring Chris Pratt) are my favourites. But I'm going to make you choose. Everybody can nominate up to 5 films. You nominated The Matrix series, which is 3 films, and Ghost in the Shell, so you have only one more choice for voting purposes. Or I could just count those 4 films.

But I do agree that the dinosaurs are cool.

I've got to say, Blade Runner really has a special place in my heart.
    Something about how I am

Quote Originally Posted by RycorAbsinthe View Post
    I've got to say, Blade Runner really has a special place in my heart.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."
    Damn, yes that's it. I remember the words far better than the film. Not sure if that makes the film more or less powerful.

Blade Runner
    The first Matrix
    District 9
    Mad Max Fury Road ( think the first one was more powerful but just because of my age back then. This one is better on most counts)
    Star wars (the first one out) I kinda want to include the most recent one too... but that would make me leave out something else.

Other close contenders are
    2001 -a space odyssey (but maybe I liked it for the music)
    The day the earth stood still (will have to rewatch now...)
    12 monkeys
    Ex-Machina - I watched this for the second time recently and liked it even more than before
    Gattica
    Metropolis (watched this at Uni and wrote at the time how fabulous I thought it was, will have to watch again to be sure)
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

The country with the world's longest official name

Serenity.

There are two versions of The Day the Earth Stood Still - the original one from 1951 with Michael Rennie (I cannot see that name without starting to hear 'Science Fiction Double Feature" in my brain) and the 2008 one with Keanu Reeves. The remake is prettier to look at, but I find I prefer the original.

Klaatu barada nikto.
    Being better than the remake is hardly an achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    Damn, yes that's it. I remember the words far better than the film. Not sure if that makes the film more or less powerful.

Blade Runner
    The first Matrix
    District 9
    Mad Max Fury Road ( think the first one was more powerful but just because of my age back then. This one is better on most counts)
    Star wars (the first one out) I kinda want to include the most recent one too... but that would make me leave out something else.

12 monkeys
    Ex-Machina - I watched this for the second time recently and liked it even more than before
    Gattica
    Metropolis (watched this at Uni and wrote at the time how fabulous I thought it was, will have to watch again to be sure)
    There's a few you list that are on my "strong contender" list - the ones I'm mulling over to see if I want to say they're in the top five or not.

I thought District 9 was a veey powerful film. It's definitely stuck in my mind in ways that a lot of other films haven't.

Several of the Mad Max films are excellent. I think the first two, despite being very different, are both great films. Mad Max is brutally realistic in its viooence, while The Road Warrior is more of an iconic morality take. The best thing about Beyond Thunderdone, alas, was the music (which was great, Tina Turner rocks). But Fury Road is right back at the top of the game again.

Blade Runner definitely. The purists among us can debate which cut is the greatest. I prefer the director's cut (no voice-over, no happy ending), but I have to admit I have not yet seen the 2007 "final cut."

And the original The Day the Earth Stood Still, about which I will say more below.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse-Keyboard View Post
    Serenity.

Being better than the remake is hardly an achievement.
    Serenity is quite a strong film in many ways. Plus I have great admiration for Chiwetel Ejiofor.

When I said I preferred the original The Day The Earth Stood Still, I neglected to quantify. I think the original is vastly superior in everything except looking pretty. I just rewatched it, and my appreciation remains unchanged. It's a very strong contender for my final list when I get around to making it.

Enemy Mine; because who doesn't like watching Louis Gossett Jr giving birth.

Dark Crystal (does this count, since should be fantasy, but those are typically bundled, if we are doing that then tons of other stuff).
    Zardoz; because who doesn't like having to specifically state a floating head isn't of Lenin.
    Logan's Run; mostly because it's a classic, though it doesn't make too much logical sense.
    The Abyss; Drowning rats and watching them breath is cool.
    Alien; No, not Aliens, that's action with a Sci-fi backdrop (but I do love it), Alien 3 is Space Noir, Alien 4 is just for the cast of City of Lost Children.
    Dark City; Not sure if this qualifies or not, but who doesn't like bald children with knives making scary motions with their teeth.
    City of Lost Children; A lot of my friends liked this, but it was too French for me.

Should I do more?

There's a few you list that are on my "strong contender" list - the ones I'm mulling over to see if I want to say they're in the top five or not.

I thought District 9 was a veey powerful film. It's definitely stuck in my mind in ways that a lot of other films haven't.
    My big problem with D9, which I own on Blu-Ray and I really enjoy, is that it is basically a white savior trope about apartheid. Blacks can't save themselves, they need the white man to save them. Except it's even worse because the white man is obviously incompetent, but compared to the blacks... errr prawns, he's a rocket scientist. That's Fire & Ice levels of racist. But I still enjoy the film.

Several of the Mad Max films are excellent. I think the first two, despite being very different, are both great films. Mad Max is brutally realistic in its viooence, while The Road Warrior is more of an iconic morality take. The best thing about Beyond Thunderdone, alas, was the music (which was great, Tina Turner rocks). But Fury Road is right back at the top of the game again.
    I wasn't a fan of the first, way too slow, but that's a product of its time, most movies prior to the coke fueled insanity of the 1980's were quite slow. Fury Road was basically a feminist action movie.

Blade Runner definitely. The purists among us can debate which cut is the greatest. I prefer the director's cut (no voice-over, no happy ending), but I have to admit I have not yet seen the 2007 "final cut."
    Love Blade Runner. The thing that makes it good is throwing out everything Phillip K **** wrote and only using the theme, because he is a horrible writer who gets way more praise than he deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirveri View Post
    Enemy Mine; because who doesn't like watching Louis Gossett Jr giving birth.

Dark Crystal (does this count, since should be fantasy, but those are typically bundled, if we are doing that then tons of other stuff).
    Zardoz; because who doesn't like having to specifically state a floating head isn't of Lenin.
    Logan's Run; mostly because it's a classic, though it doesn't make too much logical sense.
    The Abyss; Drowning rats and watching them breath is cool.
    Alien; No, not Aliens, that's action with a Sci-fi backdrop (but I do love it), Alien 3 is Space Noir, Alien 4 is just for the cast of City of Lost Children.
    Dark City; Not sure if this qualifies or not, but who doesn't like bald children with knives making scary motions with their teeth.
    City of Lost Children; A lot of my friends liked this, but it was too French for me.
    I haven't thought of Enemy Mine in years, but it was good. I shoukd rewatch it.

Can't handle Zardoz... Connery in diapers was too much for me.

Logan's Run was... Interesting, yes. Not sure I'd put it all that high on a best ever sf list, though.

The Abyss had some decent moments, among them the air-breathing to water-breathing stuff and the sequence introducing the water probe first from its pov moving through the sub, and then as others see it.

Alien is kind of a classic plot, it uses sf situations and tropes to tell a classic haunted house horror story. But yes, it's probably the purest of the lot in term of sf, and the best.

Haven't seen Dark City or City of Lost Children. Shoukd i go look for either to watch on DVD?

I'd leave Dark Crystal off, I was thinking Science fiction only. Maybe I'll start a companion thread for travian's favourite fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirveri View Post
    My big problem with D9, which I own on Blu-Ray and I really enjoy, is that it is basically a white savior trope about apartheid. Blacks can't save themselves, they need the white man to save them. Except it's even worse because the white man is obviously incompetent, but compared to the blacks... errr prawns, he's a rocket scientist. That's Fire & Ice levels of racist. But I still enjoy the film.
    I quite agree with this criticism. Everything dealing with race seems to need a white saviour. Selma. Hell, they even wrote a non-existant white saviour scene into Hidden Figures.

Everything dealing [human] race seems to need a white saviour.
    Because Jesus was white.

well, jokes aside, it is either a kind of propaganda, or too much coincidences!

Abre los Ojos was pretty good. I can't say whether I'd consider it one of the "best" since I rarely watch movies, though.
    "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost."

Because Jesus was white.

well, jokes aside, it is either a kind of propaganda, or too much coincidences!
    It's neither. It is just the way the directors and writers see the world. Through their own filters. When we start seeing more non-white directors and writers, we'll start seeing less white saviour themes. We might even see more black saviour themes become common. Imagine that!
    Fury road was an action movie. A car chase movie of sorts. And it had a woman driver. Not sure why that makes it feminist. Unless you think women can't drive.....

Yes and some of those who came back from the new found land claimed that the people of the land were waiting for saviors from the east!

Unless you think women can't drive.....
    People on youtube think so.

Government in KSA also thinks so.

Blade Runner
    The first Matrix
    District 9

12 monkeys
    Gattica
    The first matrix - only thing that I disliked about this one was the whole "humans for power sources" idea. originally however, it was that machines would use human brains for processing power, but that was abandoned, as they feared people wouldn't understand it. The idea itself made much more sense then what was eventually implamented.
    District 9 - An original movie as far as sci-fi goes. A close contender for my own list.
    Star wars - the whole idea seemed kind of lame to me, especially when the 7th episode basically copied all the cliches from the original trilogy. Though I really enjoyed "Rogue one", especially the ending.
    2001 - an iconic movie and a genre classic, must watch for any ci-fi fan in my opinion
    The day the earth stood still and 12 monkeys - I watched those a long time ago, so don't remember the plots very well. I think the first one was smth with aliens wanting to get rid of humans for climate change and the second one was a time travel paradox? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Ex-Machina - have this on my watch list for a while, will need to actually get to it sometime

The ones I didn't mention is because I haven't seen them.

The ones I would consider for my list, excluding the ones you mentioned (not necessarily in that order) :
    Interstellar
    Arrival (2016)
    Inception
    The prestige
    Donnie darko
    Edge of tomorrow
    Predestination
    Minority report
    Moon

WALL·E

not mentioned yet?

Quote Originally Posted by banzai130 View Post

The ones I would consider for my list, excluding the ones you mentioned (not necessarily in that order) :
    Interstellar
    Arrival (2016)
    Inception
    The prestige
    Donnie darko
    Edge of tomorrow
    Predestination
    Minority report
    Moon
    I loved Predestination! A really good adaptation of the Heinlein story. Also, Moon was excellent. I enjoyed Donnie Darko, and Inception, too.

I found Interstellar too long and hard to identify with. Some movies are great fir some people but not for others, Interstellar just didn't work for me.

Haven't seen Arrival yet. Also have not seen the Prestige, or Minority Report (I have a very hard tine making myself watch Tom Cruise in anything, so I just haven't gotten around to trying to watch it). Edge of Tomorrow I did watch and enjoyed despite the presence of Cruise.

I hope the Mods will forgive me this double post, as this is in the nature of an administrivia post concerning the tallying of votes for best film.

************************************************** ******************************

People are posting lots of lists, many of which contain more than five films and none of which are identified, as requested, as a nomination post.

If it is people's wish, as it seems to be, I will consider up to ten films for voting purposes, but please list those names clearly and without extraneous comments in a post specifically titled "Nomination Post" so I know these are the movies you want included in the voting, and not just films you wanted to talk about.

************************************************** *******************************

There is a French Film called "They Came Back" it is a sort of zombie film, but with a twist. The zombies are not brain eating monsters, but rather actual people and relatives.

I'm off to a meeting, so not much time. It's a good movie to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    There is a French Film called "They Came Back" it is a sort of zombie film, but with a twist. The zombies are not brain eating monsters, but rather actual people and relatives.

I'm off to a meeting, so not much time. It's a good movie to watch.
    Haven't seen the film (Les Revenants, known as The Returned in English-speaking countries outside the US, I think, at least that's how I've usually seen it titled) but I did watch the first season of the French TV series based on the film (also called Les Revenants, it's available with English subtitles). I should hubt down the original film.

I forgot about Minority Report. Don't think it would knock any out of my top 5, but it was good. Tom Cruise is a strange creature. Just seeing him annoys me, but he is good in a specific type of action movie and I forget about it. Same for Jim Carey. I find his acting very irritating in some movies, great in others.
    I haven't seen Arrival yet either. Might have get to it now. And how did I miss Moon?
    Last edited by Rokchick; 02-26-2017 at 01:35 AM.

Haven't seen the film (Les Revenants, known as The Returned in English-speaking countries outside the US, I think, at least that's how I've usually seen it titled) but I did watch the first season of the French TV series based on the film (also called Les Revenants, it's available with English subtitles). I should hubt down the original film.
    That's right, Les Revenants, also a cool electronic ambient soundtrack. I heard of the show and would like to see it, I actually think a tv series format is better for the premise as it takes time to develop relations with the characters.

For other Sci-Fi movies is GATTACA, I liked the 90s film Event Horizon - space travel through hell. Pans Labyrinth - although maybe because I have an interest in the Spanish Civil War. There is a Spanish move that I think is called Quarentine, a zombie film about a group of people who get quarentined into an apartment complex and are left to fend off against a zombie virus, the outside world essentially locks them in the building in order to protect society. I did like the first Alien movie the most, something about being traped in space with an apex monster, with the mission being to transport it.

There is also a movie from the 1980s, I believe, about medieval British villagers digging a tunnel into the earth and arriving in modern day New Zealand. They are left to fend off against the modern world and crossing a modern highway becomes a challenge, I believe it goes into medieval superstitions and for that reason really cool. I'm motivated to find the title and watch it again.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...dieval_Odyssey

I looked it up, it's called The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey. So hearing about the black pleague medieval villagers hope to escape the rampent disease across the known world, they entrust the visions of a young boy who leads them into a tunnel, the film during the medieval era is shot in black&white and the modern portion is in color. - Just that sort of film making makes the film really cool.

Oh and Stanley Kubrik's movies.
    Last edited by Summer; 02-26-2017 at 01:53 AM.

Hey Burn,

Have you heard of the new movie Constipation?

No? That's because it hasn't come out yet.

Nominations:
    1) Primer (2004)
    2) Star Wars (1977)

Moon and Primer are both excellent. My wife and I both remember City of Lost Children as "that weird French film".
    But for nominations I would like to add Guardians of the Galaxy.
    S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

This quote by Rutger is completely ad libbed. I about lost my mind with admiration for him when I discovered that.

In no order whatsoever:

The Matrix series (I loved them all, including the animated shorts)
    Galaxy Quest
    Looper
    Blade Runner
    Star Wars (all of them except for the Christmas Special)

On a different note, I read elsewhere that you tried The Expanse series and couldn't get into them. I have to admit to being very surprised. There are strong, intelligent women throughout the series; relationships that are handled that cover the range of homosexual to polygamy. The books go into political issues that aren't too far from today across the world. Have you tried the television series?
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

The country with the world's longest official name

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    The Matrix series (I loved them all, including the animated shorts)
    Even the second one?

This quote by Rutger is completely ad libbed. I about lost my mind with admiration for him when I discovered that.
    Technically, there was a speech there with some similar images, but eithout the killer final lines. Hauer rewrote the existing speech, cutting some extraneous junk and making the inages tighter and stronger. And then he added the final lines, which gavethe speech its gut-punch meaning. So it was a rewrite, not an ad-lib, but it was brilliant.

On a different note, I read elsewhere that you tried The Expanse series and couldn't get into them. I have to admit to being very surprised. There are strong, intelligent women throughout the series; relationships that are handled that cover the range of homosexual to polygamy. The books go into political issues that aren't too far from today across the world. Have you tried the television series?
    I really don't know why i couldn't get into the books. Something about the writing, maybe?

As for the TV series, I tried watching it during a tije when I was quite ill and in need of light escapist fluff, which it certainly was not. I'm planning on giving it another try once I finish my frantic Hugo reading, when I can give it some focus and attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse-Keyboard View Post
    Even the second one?

Technically, there was a speech there with some similar images, but eithout the killer final lines. Hauer rewrote the existing speech, cutting some extraneous junk and making the inages tighter and stronger. And then he added the final lines, which gavethe speech its gut-punch meaning. So it was a rewrite, not an ad-lib, but it was brilliant.
    :P

If you watch this show and enjoy it, push it on your friends, neighbors, co-workers and strangers you encounter on the bus. ScyFy gave them a guaranteed 2 season run, but there is nothing in writing for a 3rd season and some of the best is yet to come.
    DO ET!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

And my own nominations:

A New Hope
    The Day the Earth Stood Still (original)
    Blade Runner
    Dune (original film)
    Alien

Edit:
    I just remembered a film that I highly recommend - Advantageous.

Also, just watched Arrival. It goes on my nominations list, too.
    Last edited by Meherrin; 03-05-2017 at 02:45 AM.

Administrivia

(Again, hoping the Mods will allow this double posting as I'm wearing a different hat for this post)

As my request fir formal nominations hasn't gotten much response, I am going to tabulate all seemingly favourable mentions of films and then post a poll with the top ten most frequently mentioned films fir folks to vote on.

Everyone likes polls, right?

So if you want to get your favourite sf film in on the final vote and haven't mentioned it here yet, you have 24 hours to post about it. Multiple mentions of the same film from the same poster will not be counted, of course.