Thread: Race to Mars

Default Race to Mars

Finally some good news!

https://futurism.com/its-official-hu...their-mission/

I find it encouraging that the private sector is finally investing in space travel. It's one step closer to the proto molecule.

So now it's a race between Boeing, SpaceX, and NASA. And hopefully the race will create healthy competition and innovation and create a space industry finally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

See the russians are going to explore Venus together with americans!

The Russians always go opposite direction!

Quote Originally Posted by OP source
    n March 21, President Trump issued a mandate for NASA: get people to Mars by 2033. One week later, NASA responded with its most detailed plan to date for reaching the Red Planet, and it details five phases along the road to Mars.
    So this is Trump enforcing his authoritarianism!

Quote Originally Posted by OP source
    The mission to Mars includes obstacles beyond budget — keeping astronauts healthy and reasonably happy on the journey is chief among them. Without stopovers between Earth and Mars, astronauts will need to port everything they need with them, including air, food, and water, for a round-trip duration of two or three years.
    Good luck for astronauts, I never want to be there. It is a hard job that needs hard will!

I don't remember where I have read that a trip to mars would certainly cause cancer (100% chance), has there been anything to deal with this obstacle if it is true?
    Quote Originally Posted by Avicenna
    That whose existence is necessary must necessarily be one essence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumi
    What you are seeking is also seeking you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    Finally some good news!

https://futurism.com/its-official-hu...their-mission/

I find it encouraging that the private sector is finally investing in space travel. It's one step closer to the proto molecule.

So now it's a race between Boeing, SpaceX, and NASA. And hopefully the race will create healthy competition and innovation and create a space industry finally.
    There is also a race towards fusion energy, which is exciting. The Tokamak research center in the UK has made a recent breakthrough and Lockheed has completed a large fusion reactor.

In summery basically, there are two types of nuclear energy, fission and fusion, fission is the cracking of more massive elements such as uranium, while fusion crashes smaller particles such as hydrogen to create the same result. Whereas the by product of uranium is radioactive and a rare earth resource, hydrogen is plentiful and fusion energy from hydrogen is abundent and the byproduct is helium. In the past the main source for research funding for fusion energy was from the government i.e. department of energy, funding is said to have decreased due to abudance of fossil fuels - but today, private industries are steering the development of fusion energy which can move energy away from fossil fuels.

What breakthrough did the tokamak make? All I've heard is that they turned it on. It still consumes more energy than it produces, lasts only a few minutes, and can't be harnessed.

China still holds the record for longest fusion reaction.

Also, Summer, maybe we can use battery powered rockets.
    Last edited by Sapient; 05-05-2017 at 04:31 PM.
    I'm not very bright.

There is a project concept in russia about nuclear batteries, they like dangerous stuff.

Apple is trying to get a "lifelong batteries". I don't remember the news exactly, but I think it charges through wi-fi or something.

Quote Originally Posted by н-υ-п-т-ε-я View Post
    There is a project concept in russia about nuclear batteries, they like dangerous stuff.

Apple is trying to get a "lifelong batteries". I don't remember the news exactly, but I think it charges through wi-fi or something.
    It's not wifi, it's a type of Qi directional​ beaming incorporating magnetic induction and directional​ mag fields.

Microsoft started it first, it was supposed to be incorporated with WiDi in Windows 10.
    I'm not very bright.

See the russians are going to explore Venus together with americans!

The Russians always go opposite direction!

So this is Trump enforcing his authoritarianism!

Good luck for astronauts, I never want to be there. It is a hard job that needs hard will!

I don't remember where I have read that a trip to mars would certainly cause cancer (100% chance), has there been anything to deal with this obstacle if it is true?
    Cause cancer? Is that due to radiation from the sun?
    I'm not very bright.

What breakthrough did the tokamak make? All I've heard is that they turned it on. It still consumes more energy than it produces, lasts only a few minutes, and can't be harnessed.

And it's not even at fusion temperatures yet (100 million C). It won't reach them for at least a year or two.
    I'm not very bright.

Space is the one place we have not destroyed with privatization yet :,(

Cause cancer? Is that due to radiation from the sun?
    I think so, still not solve for a journey to mars or the news article I read wasn't put correctly, the moon had way little probability.

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    Space is the one place we have not destroyed with privatization yet :,(
    And the reason why is because our stock market is broken. Corporations​look for period or quarterly returns and growth per annum.

If they start looking at it over a decade return approach, then space will take off.

And unfortunately we need space industry privitization to take off.

The next step is for someone to push a metallic asteroid into Earth orbit, it would take 20 years to travel here, and then it would give that corporation trillions in raw resources and they could undercut shipping from Earth to orbit.
    I'm not very bright.

I think so, still not solve for a journey to mars or the news article I read wasn't put correctly, the moon had way little probability.
    They use the moon as a take off point. They position based on rotation models and super computer calculations on where everything will be when they arrive and SLS rockets for propulsion.
    I'm not very bright.

And the reason why is because our stock market is broken. Corporations​look for period or quarterly returns and growth per annum.

If they start looking at it over a decade return approach, then space will take off.
    The stock market is broken -- you're right up through there. Idk what kind of reason that was though. Idk also why you'd want the pestilence that is the failure of late stage capitalism to actually spread to outer space.
    And unfortunately we need space industry privitization to take off.
    Nah.

More sci fi would be nice though

That's a huge reason. By focusing on quick gains, they fail to see long term impact.

And yes, it is good to see multiple entities competing in space.
    I'm not very bright.

Higher temperatures and continuity is the goal for the Tokamaks, electrical power generation via fusion energy may be within the near future, a fusion energy plant is under construction in the south of France and if it works, it could change the world as know it.

A rocket to Mars would likely incorporate batteries via an electric propulsion system. As chemical storage used for propulsion is limited in space, electric propulsion allows a powerful propulsion while using small amounts of fuel. Batteries provide the electricity needed and are charged by solar panels, as one battery is being used the other battery charges allowing for constant flow of electricity.