Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RPG: The Seven Kingdoms - Game Thread

For whatever reason, at this moment Lucas realizes the catastrophic nature of the loss he has suffered. Bridge between worlds, non functional cell phone, a foreign land and foreign tongue. Although he wasn't particularly close to his parents or his sister, it does occur to him that his absence (unexplained) will pain them, and their absence from his life has begun to pain him. Friends and acquaintances come and go, but family remains constant.

No longer.

Worse, from the way that this Aes Sedai speaks (a brown, maybe), no one has ever gone back. How he'd relish this adventure if it had been offered instead of thrust upon him. Perhaps the blue Aes Sedai of whom she speaks would know something more.

And so, oddly paralyzed by the wave of emotion given by the finality of the answers given by this Aes Sedai, Ferrika, and unable to express his thoughts in the tongue which might be understood, Lucas just does his best to smooth his face and his emotions, and inclines his head in what he hopes is understandable as a gesture of thanks.

(OOC: Pass - Elliott just passes out from the sickness)
    Calling out weak trolling since December 2012

S1 R6 - Caesarum R7 - Carni R8 - Phantom
    S2 R8 - Storeythor
    S4 R8 - Carni
    S5 R5 - Blackbird R7 - BBC
    S8 R2 - Eazykills
    S19 R1 - Seba18

Quote Originally Posted by Flossie Schmumpus View Post
    Ivy feels herself inwardly relax chattering with the genial company and the challenge of a new language. Starting to figure out the new normal. Sure she wanted to know what happened, how she got here....where here was, but realizing these were answers not readily available made the conscious decision to learn about "here", find her place here, while keeping an eye out for information on the how when where why here is and just how she got here, why she was placed here. These people's ancestors were also brought here, who or what was at work?

Stumbling over the teanga words Ivy asked, "Can I get dessert for anyone while I am up?"
    Ivy

You gather from the not-fully-suppressed smiles that you did not say exactly what you intended. Rafaella collected herself and said in habla, "We must work more on prepositions, and on how words change when they are used. I think you did not intend to put us into the desserts."

You laugh with them, agreeing that you had something different in mind. Together, you and Rafaella head back to the buffet tables to collect an assortment of desserts. "But truly, Ivy, you are learning well. It takes time to master teanga if you are not born to it. There are some who come here from the southern kingdoms to work, who never learn to speak it."

After more pleasant conversation and language lessons, Abeille and Rafaella both leave, Abeille to her work, and Rafaella to a meeting with one of the understewards. Rhugar invites you to follow him for a continuation of your tour.

"Next, of course, is the main floor, then the cellars, and then we will go outside. That should be enough for even one with your curiosity for today. Tomorrow, if you like, I can arrange for you to spend some time in the village. Actually, perhaps Rafaella can guide you, she of course knows the reeve, and I will send a page to him this evening to ask if he can arrange for you to see some of the things we have spoken of.

"Here, you see, are the main doors to the courtyard. In that direction are the barracks - our guards all live in the castle unless on leave, even though some have families in the village. It is, I am told, a matter of military discipline. I suspect the Guardsmaster would take a dim view of our intruding on them. Taking this corridor instead, first there are workrooms for staff - seamstresses, tinkers, weavers, and other craftsfolk - on either side, and next, the castle. entrance to the infirmary, and beyond that, the laundries. Would you care to take a closer look at any of these?"

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    For whatever reason, at this moment Lucas realizes the catastrophic nature of the loss he has suffered. Bridge between worlds, non functional cell phone, a foreign land and foreign tongue. Although he wasn't particularly close to his parents or his sister, it does occur to him that his absence (unexplained) will pain them, and their absence from his life has begun to pain him. Friends and acquaintances come and go, but family remains constant.

No longer.

Worse, from the way that this Aes Sedai speaks (a brown, maybe), no one has ever gone back. How he'd relish this adventure if it had been offered instead of thrust upon him. Perhaps the blue Aes Sedai of whom she speaks would know something more.

And so, oddly paralyzed by the wave of emotion given by the finality of the answers given by this Aes Sedai, Ferrika, and unable to express his thoughts in the tongue which might be understood, Lucas just does his best to smooth his face and his emotions, and inclines his head in what he hopes is understandable as a gesture of thanks.
    Lucas

The tall, androgynous person whose name you can't quite remember says to you, softly, "Look into my eyes." You do as sie asks, and suddenly you 'hear' ser voice, speaking what your mind insists is English, though her lips are not moving.

"I am so sorry for your pain, Lucas - no, I am not reading your mind, but I sense emotions as well, and they are much harder to shield against. To speak to me, just form the words in your mind, as if you were going to say them, and I will 'hear' you.

"What I tell you is only what I heard, in passing, as a child growing up among my mother;s people. Some is supposition, extrapolation. I believe that you stumbled across an ancient gate made by my mother's people, a way to walk the stars without a need for vessels of air and space. Once there were many of these, to many worlds, but as ser people grew fewer, they closed the gates, choosing to let this world be the place of their end as it was of their beginning. I do not know the details, but in the attempt to close the gate to one of the worlds, something went wrong, and the gates became unstable, opening and closing randomly, and nothing my mother's people attempted could repair the damage.

"Over the years, many have fallen through these gates from your world. The gates should work both ways, but... It cannot be predicted when or where one will open. I fear I cannot offer you hope. And I no longer know where my mother's people may be, if any still live. They withdrew many years ago from all contact with the other races of this world, beyond the Great Northern Mountains, which no humans have scaled and returned to speak of.

"This is what I know, or believe, of how you came here. Have you other questions of me? Ask what you will, and freely, for kinless as you are on this world, you are owed guestright wherever you go, until you may find a place for yourself in this world, and there is none who respects the law who will deny you whatever it may be seemly to give."

Quote Originally Posted by Carni View Post
    (OOC: Pass - Elliott just passes out from the sickness)

Elliott

You are lost in a strange world, nightmarish, where you float in a grey mist. You see lights around you, some near, some far, some burning strongly, some weakly flickering. At times you sense your body, by turns feverish and chilled. And sometimes you fade into darkness, sleeping without any sense of of how much time is passing.

[OOC: Carni, when you have more free time just write a post in which you wake up feeling better, and I'll work you back into the game. ]
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

How could such a thing be true without there being any Earthly stories about them? At least, it couldn't be in the recent past unless there was a huge conspiracy to cover it up on Earth. If there were wormholes open to the stars in the recent past, there would certainly have been stories about it. This leads Lucas to wonder if there is either a time travel effect (as in, did the transport also transport him backwards in time as well as far away in space), or if time passes more slowly here than on Earth (as in, these gates open thousands of years ago on Earth but only a couple hundred years here).

Lucas isn't really used to needing to focus his thought, so he isn't sure how much of that translated through whatever this person was doing. (Not an Aes Sedai anymore -- they couldn't mind read. He's too distracted to think of a better reference at the moment though; he's wondering what he missed about the sheer impossibility of telepathy. How could one person's thoughts make sense in the mind of another? A key aspect of my thoughts is that they're in my brain. In someone else's brain, they'd have to be a different thought.

Anyway, Lucas remembers that this person is in his brain again and tries to think that he is thankful for the help and just needs some time to think. Especially of a plan. Everything is better when one has a plan. Then what to do just flows from the plan.

How could such a thing be true without there being any Earthly stories about them? At least, it couldn't be in the recent past unless there was a huge conspiracy to cover it up on Earth. If there were wormholes open to the stars in the recent past, there would certainly have been stories about it. This leads Lucas to wonder if there is either a time travel effect (as in, did the transport also transport him backwards in time as well as far away in space), or if time passes more slowly here than on Earth (as in, these gates open thousands of years ago on Earth but only a couple hundred years here).

Lucas isn't really used to needing to focus his thought, so he isn't sure how much of that translated through whatever this person was doing. (Not an Aes Sedai anymore -- they couldn't mind read. He's too distracted to think of a better reference at the moment though; he's wondering what he missed about the sheer impossibility of telepathy. How could one person's thoughts make sense in the mind of another? A key aspect of my thoughts is that they're in my brain. In someone else's brain, they'd have to be a different thought.

Anyway, Lucas remembers that this person is in his brain again and tries to think that he is thankful for the help and just needs some time to think. Especially of a plan. Everything is better when one has a plan. Then what to do just flows from the plan.
    The person is speaking in your mind again. "Forgive me, but your thoughts are very close to the surface if your mind, and I could not block out your confusion. As to your first question, that of time, I do not know if there is what you called a 'time travel effect' but you must understand that these things happened a very long time ago. My mother's people are very long-lived. I myself have lived among humans for more than two hundred years, and I am half human. It has been perhaps three thousand years since the gates were closed - and the gate to your world broken. When that gate was first damaged, it held such power that whole tribes of nomadic peoples would come through in a single crossing, but over time, the gate has grown weaker, and rarely opens to more than one person at a time.

"As to the nature of telepathy.... All things exist in more than one dimension, though without the gift, it is difficult to access that part of one's being that dwells in other dimensions. Telepathy does not speak brain to brain, but mind to mind, in the otherworld that lies closest - if I may use a metaphor of space - to the one that all perceive. What I send to your mind in the otherworld is translated to your brain in this one.

"As for a plan... You may remain here if you wish. Or travel on with caravanmaster Camilla and her people. You may claim guestright anywhere you choose, and receive aid. But there is some time to think of what you would do, for the caravanmaster will not leave without her kinsman, and it will be at least a day before he is ready to travel again.

"Is there is more you would know at this time? Fear not that you must ask all now, You need only ask for me, and I will come as soon as my other duties permit. I am generally known as Liriel, and there is no other here by that name."
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.

Lucas is not able to understand this quickly, but does make some effort to hide his thoughts this time, thinking "I'm thinking" at the top level while trying to keep the actual thoughts separate.

First, the 200 year and half-human claim. The half-human bit is interesting, but Lucas knows that most humans are at least partially Neandrathals and this claim could be as simple as that. Thus, not immediately important. The 200 year claim -- that's more relevant. But Lucas doesn't know how long Liriel means by a "year," so again, not immediately worth pursuing.

The "otherworld" bit baffles Lucas for longer than it should have, and Lucas curses his own slowness. All it amounts to is a claim that thoughts are distinct from brainstates and that those thoughts "exist" in some other space which Liriel can access. As an explanation for the apparent telepathy, it will do. Lucas makes a mental note to think about the consequences later.

Liriel misunderstood what he had meant about having a plan -- her suggestions were short termed not long termed -- but that is also not important. His mind was already made up about going to the city; a city man, he could never settle down to think of work outside of one.

Consciously shutting down the top level bit that was "I'm thinking," Lucas replaces it with "are there records kept from the time of the gates? Not only historical records, but technical ones? It baffles me that these gates would have been created and then the knowledge used in doing so be completely lost. Are there records kept by people who have travelled here this way recently, meaning in tongues that might be my own not yours?"

Consciously shutting down the top level bit that was "I'm thinking," Lucas replaces it with "are there records kept from the time of the gates? Not only historical records, but technical ones? It baffles me that these gates would have been created and then the knowledge used in doing so be completely lost. Are there records kept by people who have travelled here this way recently, meaning in tongues that might be my own not yours?"
    "If any of my mother's people still live, there might be those who still remember something of the working of the gates. You must understand, they returned to this, their homeworld, to die. And as part of this, they made a choice, to give up both the technology of science and that of psionic ability, to live simply with the world until the end. They are not just long-lived, but a very old people.

"Among humans, much of this is legend. Some believe that they came here from elsewhere, others that the gods created them here. If there are any records of the earliest days of humans on this world in the Seven kingdoms, they would either be at Macsen, which is a centre for scholars of history, among other things, or at Ciorcal Thendara, in Cathairis, which is the oldest of the Ciorcals. I do not know what records the Massili and Tissili, who live in the deserts lands, might have.

"In recent years, whenever a person such as yourself became known to one of the Ciorcal-trained, it has been custom - by the request of the Riallor, those who govern the southern kingdoms - to send a report to Ciorcal Thendara. So whatever is known of recent crossings, you will find there."

"Rugar, I would love to check out the crafts at a later time, I am quite eager continue to see the entirety of your plumbing system."
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

Liriel could not have said 'go to Cathairis' any more clearly unless she said "go to Cathairis."

Lucas breaks the mental connection -- assuming that looking away and imagining that it is dismissed dismisses it -- and expressed his thanks for the help verbally.

"Rugar, I would love to check out the crafts at a later time, I am quite eager continue to see the entirety of your plumbing system."

Ivy

"Of course, I will be delighted to show you everything," Rhugar said with a touch of pride. "First, let me show you the pipes, there is an access point to them in the kitchens on this floor. And if I recall correctly, you have an interest in preserving food? The main kitchens on this floor include workspaces for preserves, and the castle brewery is located here as well, for while we do not have the climate here for growing fruits to support a winery, we do make our own beer and mead. But first, the plumbing."

Rhugar leads you to portion of the wall in the busy kitchen area, and shows you the mechanism for accessing the space between the double walls where the pipes run. The two of you spend sone time exploring the piping, as Rhugar shows you how everything is mounted and fitted, and gives you a quick explanation of how both the metal and clay pipes are made. You see at regular intervals vertical ladders leading up to the higher levels - "of course there are access points on all floors, but it is simpler and quicker to climb up between the walls than go out and up when what you are working on requires you to access more than one level" - and scaffolding that supports the walkways above you.

Next, Rhugar takes you on a whirlwind tour of the kitchen and brewery areas, which extend deep into the cliff face, and the main storage areas. You follow him down a set of steps cut into the rock, and find yourself in the cellar.

"Here are the water storage cisterns," he says, pointing out the circulation system he described earlier. "And over here," he adds as he leads out of the cavern area and down another, shorter set of steps, " are the privy cisterns - built on lower ground, of course, to avoid any chance of contaminating the drinking water. If you look up, you will see where the waste chutes from the upper floors feed into the cisterns. Now, if you will examine this cistern carefully, you will see that the ceiling can be slowly forced down by the manipulation of these levers. And if you will come around to the wall," he points toward the side of the giant tank, "you will see these outflow pipes at the base, which pass through the wall and exit outside the castle. When these valves are turned, and the outside hatches opened, the material within the cistern can be pushed out of the system. As you will see when we go outside the castle, the earth is dug down at that point, and there is a roadway so that the manure carts can be brought down to collect the waste as it is forced out through the pipes, and the matter then taken away to further decompose until it is ready to use on the fields."

Liriel could not have said 'go to Cathairis' any more clearly unless she said "go to Cathairis."

Lucas breaks the mental connection -- assuming that looking away and imagining that it is dismissed dismisses it -- and expressed his thanks for the help verbally.

Lucas

As you turn away, Liriel says, "I am here if you need me," and then speaks to Ferrika and Camilla in the language you do not know at all. You assume sie is giving them a summary of your discussion.

The three of them talk briefly, and then Ferrika and Liriel leave. Camilla turns to you. "Tonight we make camp here. When Davin is healed, you can tell us if you will go with us, or stay here." You notice that it seems a bit easier to understand her, as if the telepathic conversation with Liriel has somehow pushed your learning curve forward a bit.

Now, I want to visit Davin. Will you come with me?"

Rhugar what do you do to ensure there are no disease pathogens in the manure? Do you separate the human waste from the stables? Is certain manure only used for certain crops? For instance I would not use human manure on row crops like lettuce, carrots, kale, but I would use it for fruit and grains. Do you have a similar protocol? Do you do any aquaculture to clean the outflow?
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

Rhugar what do you do to ensure there are no disease pathogens in the manure? Do you separate the human waste from the stables? Is certain manure only used for certain crops? For instance I would not use human manure on row crops like lettuce, carrots, kale, but I would use it for fruit and grains. Do you have a similar protocol? Do you do any aquaculture to clean the outflow?
    Rhugar nods, "This of course is a matter of great importance. And despite our efforts, every once in a while, someone will use nightsoils and animal waste directly rather than having it all collected and taken to the communal composting piles, and then there is sickness and they must have a caillach in anyway. As you know, such pathogens live best at the temperature of the bodies they normally dwell in, and a well managed compost pile will generate sufficient heat to kill them. And this is one of the duties of the village caillais, to inspect the compost piles for the presence of disease organisms, and make certain that the piles reach the necessary temperature - by draoich, if nature has not been sufficient.

"As for the management of waste from the stables, the kennels and mews - ah, would that we could train animals to use privies. Alas, there we must depend on human labour and shovels - and then of course the waste goes into the manure stream and is treated properly to ensure it is safe. I do not think there is a village in all of the kingdoms without a callach to manage these matters among their other duties. It is one of the responsibilities of every lord to ensure this. And of course in the cities it is of the utmost importance that wastes of all kinds are collected, removed to local composting sites, and properly managed.

"As to the ultimate uses of the compost, I am no farmer, but I know that many of those who grow garden crops maintain smaller compost piles of vegetable matter only, without meat or excreted wastes, for use on their plants. Even so, such piles are monitored by the caillach in residence. Those for whom the manure is useful, collect the fully composted material from the composting sites when they require it.

"You asked before about the other water waste before - grey water you called it, what an excellent term, I will use it in future if you do not object. I will show you the settling pool when we go outside the walls, but of course, we use whatever plants and fish that will help to cleanse the grey water before it enters the natural stream again. And the pool is monitored by our callach as well."

Rhugar shows you the rest of the cellars - the wells, the storage areas, and - fortunately unused and apparently in such a state for quite some time - what he refers to as the detention area. Of course, every castle needs a dungeon, you think, though you are relieved to note that the cells, even without regular use, are clean, dry, and furnished with the essentials for basic comfort.

You go back up to the ground floor through the stables, which you see are partly built out into the courtyard, and partly dug into the cliff face. There are two exits - a simple barn door into the courtyard, and a solid and defensible gate that leads out of the castle complex entirely. "One does not ride a full mounted force out through a crowded courtyard," Rhugar observes as he completes the tour of the stables and kennels, complete with a quick look on the upper floor of the wooden building, to see the facilities for housing snd training hunting birds.

Back down in the courtyard, Rhugar points out the workshops for the various crafters - armourers, smithies, leather workers and harness makers, metal workers, masons and carpenters, ranged around the inner wall of the castle. He points out the guardhouses and stairs to the shielded walkways along the top of the wall, where sentries would be stationed in times of unrest or outright war. "In ancient times, of course, there would be archers, and you can still see how the fortifications are built to allow them to take aim at a besieging enemy. Of course, since the Compact no one would ever use a ranged weapon against another human, and we hold still to that here in Shielig, though we have broken with the Riallor on the use of ranged weapons in hunting." Rhugar sighed. "The lowland kingdoms simply do not understand the importance of hunting here, we have so much less arable land and so much shorter a growing season on the high plateau." He leads you through the courtyard, pointing out the courtyard entrances to the infirmary, the apothecary, the laundries and the privies - it all fits together in your mind now in a way that it did not when Rafaella had shown them to you on your arrival.

"But, now we will go outside the walls and you will see the settling pool and the mill," Rhugar says as he leads you toward the open gate.

Smiling Ivy says, "You have my permission to use the term gray water." Thoughtfully Ivy asks, " Just what is draoich, how does that work? How do the caillach both heal and oversee composting...what else do they do?"

"I am asking you too many questions, and I have many more swirling in my head. But I think tomorrow I had better arrange to work with a scribe and record the information on how I got here to Shelig...or rather to where Rafaella found me, I promised Lord Seanan I would do so, and it is best done sooner rather than later. Can we delay my tour of the village and surroundings by a day?"

"Now lets go look at the settling ponds and the Mill, back home I set up a self cleaning swimming pool....it does not need any chemicals....the natural filtration of the plants keep it clean. I am very interested in systems that use natural processes to clean."

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    Lucas

As you turn away, Liriel says, "I am here if you need me," and then speaks to Ferrika and Camilla in the language you do not know at all. You assume sie is giving them a summary of your discussion.

The three of them talk briefly, and then Ferrika and Liriel leave. Camilla turns to you. "Tonight we make camp here. When Davin is healed, you can tell us if you will go with us, or stay here." You notice that it seems a bit easier to understand her, as if the telepathic conversation with Liriel has somehow pushed your learning curve forward a bit.

Now, I want to visit Davin. Will you come with me?"
    Lucas answers only the last bit -- but looks Camilla in the eye when he does. "Of course I will go with you."

Smiling Ivy says, "You have my permission to use the term gray water." Thoughtfully Ivy asks, " Just what is draoich, how does that work? How do the caillach both heal and oversee composting...what else do they do?"

"I am asking you too many questions, and I have many more swirling in my head. But I think tomorrow I had better arrange to work with a scribe and record the information on how I got here to Shelig...or rather to where Rafaella found me, I promised Lord Seanan I would do so, and it is best done sooner rather than later. Can we delay my tour of the village and surroundings by a day?"

"Now lets go look at the settling ponds and the Mill, back home I set up a self cleaning swimming pool....it does not need any chemicals....the natural filtration of the plants keep it clean. I am very interested in systems that use natural processes to clean."
    Ivy

"Of course, I forgot," Rhugar says as he leads you out of the courtyard and around the castke to the east. "The old stories tell us that once draoigh was weak and rare among humans, until the Cairini came among us. You likely do not know of it. Draoigh - the word is from old teanga - is what we call the gift, the ability to use the mind to communicate directly with others, to see at a distance or to see that which is too small for the eye, to move without touching anything from a massive piece of rock, to a molecule, to manipulate flows of energy. Many of us have a small gift, perhaps enough to make starting a fire easier, or to sense another's strong emotions, or form a closer bond with animals - such is my wife's gift, I myself am headblind, without any touch of draoich - but there are those among us who have one or more of these gifts in full measure, and most of these train at the Ciorcals to be caillais.

"The caillais work in many areas - healing, of course, is what most people see of them, and public health work such as I have explained to you. Communication across great distances for important matters. Teams of specially trained caillais can shift the rain to put out forest fires, or break up a dangerous storm. Others work with masterbuilders, to excavate and position large sections of buildings or heavy metal fixtures. Some can locate underground water, or seams of metal, or natural gas. They work with the courts and diplomats, for even without reading the mind of another - which no callach would do without permission save in some dire emergency - they can sense when truth or lie is spoken, and whether a person is of good or malicious intent.

"Ah, but here we are. As you see, there is the road down to the point where the manure carts collect the waste from the privy system. There, " he points to the cliffs, somewhat east of your position, " is the natural waterfall. You can see here, where the ground slopes down on the other side of us, toward the stream. Over there, downhill from the waterfall, is our mill, and if you will follow me, you will see the system for cleaning our grey water.

As you walk toward the cliff, with the castle to you left and the millstream downhill to your right, you see a long narrow strip of rushes snd reeds, perhaps 20 feet wide, beginning at the castle wall and stretching almost to the stream. "We layer gravel and soil to the depth of a human's height - deep enough that even in winter, water will flow through the lower levels and seed it with these plants. The water flows out of the castle and through this stretch of reeds to the settling pool. Here, walk with me along the edge. The plants are regularly thinned, and most are used in making baskets, mats, paper, and other necessary items. Here at this far end, where the water is cleanest, we grow some medicinal plants. Now, you see the water flows into a constructed pool, which in winter allows particulates to settle even when the drainage area is operating at less than peak efficiency. From the pool, the water flows into the stream just below the waterfall, and adds to the volume of water available to power the mill. While some villages have smaller mills, powered by local streams or animal power, this is the main grain mill for our region.

"And now you have seen our home, I will take you back to the guest area, so that you may rest and wash before dinner. By all means, spend tomorrow with the scribe, and on the day following I will have that tour of the village arranged for you."

As you walk back toward the castle gates, Rhugar adds, "It may take you some time to make your decisions, but, should you choose to make your home here with us, and be so inclined, I would be happy to find a place for you on my staff."

Lucas answers only the last bit -- but looks Camilla in the eye when he does. "Of course I will go with you."
    Lucas

"Alright then. We go to the sickhouse."

You follow Camilla out of the tower building and into one of the surrounding buildings surrounding it. As you walk, Camilla continues talking about your meeting with the caillais, as she calls them. "I have visited Ferrika here before, but i did not know her daraceannan was half-Cairini. I have never met another such, though there are some who claim such lineage further in their family's past. Of course, they say all the Riallor are of part-Cairini blood, strengthened by centuries of intermarriage - and many Caillais are from the families of the Riallor. But the droiach is not unknown among common folk like us, so maybe if you go back far enough, we are sll children of the Cairini. They do say that in ancient times, the Cairini had not yet all withdrawn, and came more often among men.

"Ah, here we are." You follow her into the building, where she asks someone where to find Davin. The two of you are taken to a small room where the trader lies sleeping, a young man sitting beside him. Camilla introduces herself and asks about Davin.

"He is recovering well, though he will sleep for several more hours." The young man continues talking, from what you understand, it is a summary of the medical care he has received, though one that raises more questions for you. It sounds as though he is saying that in the time you have been talking to Liriel, one of the other caillais has "removed" the infectious agents from Davin's blood, and that all that is needed now is rest.

"Thank you for your offer Rhugar, it is much appreciated. I am still completely at sea as to what I am going to do, everything is such a whirl in my head, knowing I have a place is very comforting."

"Things are so well run, clean and efficiently....I keep thinking to myself....oh I could apply this when I get home....I better write the tale of my coming while it is still fresh and see if your universities...I think you call them Ciorcals have any information on my journey."

"Tomorrow with the scribes then the day after...the village! Now I am going to enjoy some of that fine plumbing we looked at today."

"Thank you for your offer Rhugar, it is much appreciated. I am still completely at sea as to what I am going to do, everything is such a whirl in my head, knowing I have a place is very comforting."

"Things are so well run, clean and efficiently....I keep thinking to myself....oh I could apply this when I get home....I better write the tale of my coming while it is still fresh and see if your universities...I think you call them Ciorcals have any information on my journey."

"Tomorrow with the scribes then the day after...the village! Now I am going to enjoy some of that fine plumbing we looked at today."

Ivy

You find your way back to your room, where someone has left not only your cleaned clothes from yesterday, but a few outfits in the local style. You select something to wear for the evening, and head to the baths.

At supper you run into Rafaella, who is happy to continue the teanga lessons - as you tell her about your tour and your thoughts about life in Banailt, or at least as much as you have seen so far.

Ivy examines the clothes, they are soft and look to be comfortable....selecting an outfit in tones of green her favorite color with a doublet? vest of burgundy for contrast and a clean change of really soft underthings she heads off to the bath.

Luxuriating in the bath, Ivy thinks about the past week.....and all that has happened, it is hardly real, but it must be real, here she sat in a bath fed by the most wonderful low tech eco friendly plumbing system. Regretful that the bath must come to an end Ivy get out dries herself and dresses in the new togs. She could make a life here...where did that thought come from?

Off to a fine dinner Ivy looks for a familiar face. Spying Rhugar's wave waving to her, she waves back and makes her way over.

Ivy examines the clothes, they are soft and look to be comfortable....selecting an outfit in tones of green her favorite color with a doublet? vest of burgundy for contrast and a clean change of really soft underthings she heads off to the bath.

Luxuriating in the bath, Ivy thinks about the past week.....and all that has happened, it is hardly real, but it must be real, here she sat in a bath fed by the most wonderful low tech eco friendly plumbing system. Regretful that the bath must come to an end Ivy get out dries herself and dresses in the new togs. She could make a life here...where did that thought come from?

Off to a fine dinner Ivy looks for a familiar face. Spying Rhugar's wave waving to her, she waves back and makes her way over.

Ivy

You have a pleasant dinner with Rafaella, Rhugar and his wife Abeille. After dinner they invite you and Rafealla to their quarters, which are small but comfortable. Small but efficient braziers warm the two room suite - bedroom and livingroom - and both walls and floor are covered, like the guest room you have been staying in, with mats and tapestries. The four of you spend the evening chatting, and playing a board game called dubh solis, which involves chance and skill in taking over the board. You lose, but it's fun.

In the morning, Rafaella walks you to the library on her way to more meetings, and you enter, looking around you. The room is large, with a few tables at one end where people are seated, reading, writing, or sorting through documents. The rest of the room looks much like any library you've seen, filled with shelves that are in turn filled with books - not mass produced, as you are used to, but hand-sewn volumes, some with protective covers of leather, and some without. Onr wall appears to host the castle archives, being full of pigeonholed shelves where papers and documents are shelved.

You identify someone who seems to be in charge, and introduce yourself in the Sheilig manner, showing her your letter from the Steward. She nods, and calls one of the clerks over. "Ivy n'ha Meridith, this is Dorthan mi'ha Rafael. He will record your account, and if you have need of any further assistance in making use of our library, he will assist you. I understand you speak our language but do not read or write it; if you wish to do research, he will serve as a translator to you, and help you to learn."

(OOC: I might take a pass until SC and Carni have a chance to get in here; Lucas is currently just trailing Camilla, so nothing much to do unless something happens.)

Ivy thanks the librarian and turns to Dorthan and says, "I think it best we get the information of my coming set to writing first, please ask any questions that come to mind where the answers might help the caillais...is that the correct term at the Ciorcals with their studies. After the recording is done, I would be interested in any information you have on strangers appearing like I have or under odd circumstances."

Ivy thanks the librarian and turns to Dorthan and says, "I think it best we get the information of my coming set to writing first, please ask any questions that come to mind where the answers might help the caillais...is that the correct term at the Ciorcals with their studies. After the recording is done, I would be interested in any information you have on strangers appearing like I have or under odd circumstances."
    Ivy

Dorthan takes you back to the table where he was working and draws up a second chair for you. Once you are seated, he pulls out a sheaf of old documents, some fresh paper, a clean pen, and ink. "In expectation of your coming here to fulfill Lord Seanan's request, I have searched our archives and found some documents which may be related, and some which may not. The first matter to consider is whether the document refers to someone truly having had the experiences which you reported to Lord Seanan, or someone who has had some other experience causing them to present similarly. The matter is not so clearly differentiated as it may at first appear.

"For sometimes it may happen that a severe shock, illness or injury to the head may cause a person to forget their former life, and sometimes even their names, and some may in all innocence fabricate a story to protect themselves from a truth too difficult to acknowledge. Most of these, however, either cannot speak at all, or retain the use of the language they knew before, and they are not unfamiliar with that which they see around them. Of these sorts of cases we have had 34 in the recorded history of the castle.

"Also, it may happen that a person with the draoich may in times of extremis or during threshold sickness find themselves physically lost in the saoleile, and in returning to this level may be bodily transported to a different place, and suffer much confusion or even mental damage, including loss of memory or language. This is rare, and in the recorded history of the castle there have been three lost in this manner and two found. In all these cases, the person was healed to at least dome degree and returned to their home or Ciorcal.

"Then there are cases similar to yours, in that a person appears or is found who seems fully healthy but has no knowledge or familiarity with their surroundings, and upon learning our language tells of a prior life in a place unlike anything known throughout Segura, that is to say, the lands of the Seven Kingdoms, the desert peoples, or the otherkin. I say similar because your experience is different in one significant way, in that while you seemed not to know either of the languages of Seven Kingdoms at first, you have learned habla very quickly. In the two other cases in our records here, the aid of a callach in imparting knowledge of our language was required, but you have not needed this.

"Because you are clearly unfamiliar with our way of life, and show no signs of injury or trauma, nor those of a sojourn in the saoleile, we can eliminate the first two categories, and look only at the two cases I mentioned most similar to yours.

"However, if you do not object, I will record your experiences before going over these. If you could first give me your unprompted recollections of how you came to the place and time that you encountered Rafaella n'ha Doria, I will record that first. Then I will ask what questions may be needed to add detail or fill in important gaps from our perspective."

Lucas

[OOC: I promised you a free post, here it is. Poof, you're in the big city. ]

Once Davin is better, the caravan resumes its journey toward Cathairis, which you have learned is where the caravan winters over, selling its stock in trade to both merchants and citizens in the city. Now that you are becoming more fluent in the local language, you begin to piece together information that could be useful to you.

Cathairis, it seems, is the capital city of an alliance known as the Rialtais, comprising six of the so-called seven kingdoms. It is the largest city in the kingdoms, and a major economic centre. Most of the major institutions - from the judicial system to what passes for banks - is based here. And of course, this is the political centre, where the leaders of the six allied kingdoms gather to legislate and, you gather, to socialise.

As you get closer to the city, the roads are more crowded - you see small parties of travellers on horseback, or in wagons or carriages, or on foot, and other caravans on the road with you. And then one day as you walk along beside the wagons, the caravan crests a hill and you look down on Cathairis. It's no New York, to be sure, but it seems to be a real, though smallish, city, built around what looks like a natural harbour. You can make out loading docks built out into the west side of the bay, and ships looking like something out of a pirate movie moored alongside them. Another ship sits in a dry dock, being built or repaired. On the east side of the bay, you see a hill with a massive castle on its summit, and beside that, a great tower rising above it, overlooking the city. Further east, you see open fields. North of the harbour and west of the hill is an area filled with taller buildings - three and four stories, it looks like, and you think it's probably the city centre - and then smaller one and two story buildings stretching west and north. Between these built up areas is an open space with pasture land, groups of low buildings and caravans camped neatly beside each other.

Camilla starts to point things out to you. The castle is, of course, the city residence of the lords of the Rialtais. The tower is Ciorcal Cathairis. Other buildings in the city centre large enough to make out at this distance she identifies as the High Courts, the Courts of Trade, the Colliegium, and the Amharc Theatre.

As the caravan moves down the hill, you realise that you are headed toward the open area on the northwest of the city. This must be the great caravanserai where caravans such as the one Camilla manages set up for weeks, even months, selling their goods in the open markets Camilla has told you about.

It's afternoon when you arrive in the caravanserai. You know from what you've overheard that, like most established caravans, Camilla's caravan rents a permanent space in the caravanserai, where they will stay for most of the winter. They share the space with a caravan that travels along the coastal areas to the east of Cathairis during the spiring and fall, and spends the summer months in the city. After helping to set-up in the rented space, which boasts stables for the animals, living quarters for the caravan folk, and proximity to the public baths maintained for the travelling traders, you find yourself at leisure.

You know that you can stay with Camilla's people, and help out for a few coins a day until you find yourself a better situation. You hear people talking about what they plan to do this evening, now that they are in the 'big city.'

Some are going to look up old friends in other caravans. Others are talking about walking into the city to see what plays or concerts might be happening in the entertainment district, or going bar-hopping, or visiting one of the establishments where erotic entertainment is available. It seems the options for nightlife are not that dissimilar to those you're familiar with back at home.

"Ah I see you have anticipated my request, wonderful! Great minds think alike." Ivy replies smilingly. Dorthan and Ivy work steadily through the morning, one time Dorthan is called away for a bit, Ivy is glad to give her brain a rest, it has been tough retelling the journey, making sure every detail is recorded was hard enough, but it also oddly emotionally hard.

Ivy has always prided herself in not being emotionally driven. This really has been the first time she has been alone for any length of time with out anything to do. Looking out through the window overlooking the town, Ivy contemplates what has happened...how, why, what, what now? She was truly alone in this world...free to rewrite her life if she chose. "First," she thought to herself, "Get knowledge."

As she saw Dorthan making his way back to the work table, Ivy composed herself and set herself about the task of learning about the other cases that were like hers.

"Dorthan, when did these cases occur? How recent are they?"

"Ah I see you have anticipated my request, wonderful! Great minds think alike." Ivy replies smilingly. Dorthan and Ivy work steadily through the morning, one time Dorthan is called away for a bit, Ivy is glad to give her brain a rest, it has been tough retelling the journey, making sure every detail is recorded was hard enough, but it also oddly emotionally hard.

Ivy has always prided herself in not being emotionally driven. This really has been the first time she has been alone for any length of time with out anything to do. Looking out through the window overlooking the town, Ivy contemplates what has happened...how, why, what, what now? She was truly alone in this world...free to rewrite her life if she chose. "First," she thought to herself, "Get knowledge."

As she saw Dorthan making his way back to the work table, Ivy composed herself and set herself about the task of learning about the other cases that were like hers.

"Dorthan, when did these cases occur? How recent are they?"
    Ivy

Dothan nods. "Yes, I think we have as detailed a record as possible." He takes up several sheets of paper from the pile of documents. "This, dated 516 years ago, is the account of a man named Amarjit mi'ha Jayadeva, who was found wandering in the woods not far from here. Brought to the castle, the callach in residence confirmed that he had suffered no illness or injury, despite his unusual appearance - his skin was dark as ink. As he spoke neither habla nor teanga, he was offered the aid of the caillais in learning teanga, and accepted. He was given an escort to Ciorcal Tanaith, where this was done, and then brought back to Banailt. He reported that he had been walking home one evening after working in his fields, when a sudden cold mist surrounded him. When it cleared, he was here. He said he was a small farmer living in a village known as Suryavati, in the land of the lord Krishna Deva Raya. He had a wife and seven children in his former life. After a time of sadness, he settled down in the village here and married a woman named Margali n'ha Sorcha. He became a farmer and lived his life out in Banailt, leaving three children to carry his lineage."

Setting down the papers that recorded the story of Amarjit, he took up another thin sheaf. "And this, dated 137 years ago, is the account of Elizabet mi'ha Mary, found unconscious in a field outside the village of Achiel. At first it was believed that she had been the victim of some injury or trauma, as she was extremely confused, emotional and at times either violent or prone to fainting. Both the callach and the healer in residence in the village examined her and found her healthy but in great distress. She was brought first to Ciorcal Tanaith, where she was given the knowledge of teanga, and then to Banailt. She reported that she was the wife of a wealthy trader in cloth, living in the city of London in the land of the Lord Victoria Regina. She had just returned from viewing a popular amusement, which she called 'The Mikado by Gilbert and Sullivan' with her husband, and was walking in her garden, when she became dizzy and cold, and lost all memory following that until she was awakened by the healer. She was not happy to remain with us, and at her request, she was given an escort and travelled to Macsen, where she hoped to find information that would enable her to return to her own land again. The Lord of Banailt at the time sent occasional messages to Macsen over the years inquiring after her welfare. According to these notes, she remained a scholar at Macsen until her death, and authored several papers on the early history of the seven Kingdoms."

Dorthan set the papers down again. "There have, I am quite certain, been other cases, for I have here a request from the daraceannan of Ciorcal Tanaith dated 763 years ago, and several similar requests over the centuries following, that any information concerning cases such as yours be sent to the nearest Ciorcal - which in our case is Tanaith - where it is to be sent on to Ciorcal Cathairis, which is the first of the Ciorcals. The Ceannan of Ciorcal Cathairis sits on the Council of the Rialtais and holds much power, in the Six kingdoms, and among the Ciorcals in all the kingdoms. A copy of your report will be sent to Tanaith and thence to Cathairis, as these two were in their time."

[OOC: I promised you a free post, here it is. Poof, you're in the big city. ]
    (OOC: And I'm still unsure what this means -- I wasn't aware that the prior posts hadn't been free!)

Lucas decides to explore on his own, for now. He will pop into whatever buildings are open, see what he can learn about the technology by just looking around. Also about society. Whether there are beggars in the streets says a lot about a society. Whether there are footpads.

Also, he will look for a map and for "Ciorcal Thendara," which the mind-speaking woman mentioned when he had been asking for the equivalent of a library.

Humming a few bars of "I've got a little list", "Oh sorry, I adore "The Mikado", I know some of songs. So both of the cases you have in your library here are from Earth...my home world. I wonder if they all are?"

Ruefully smiling, " I guess I must wait for the answer to that for a later date. I think I am done in for the day, if you of anything else you need please let me know. I think I will be here for a while, can you suggest the best way for me to learn your writing, I would love to be able to read and write. "

(OOC: And I'm still unsure what this means -- I wasn't aware that the prior posts hadn't been free!)

Lucas decides to explore on his own, for now. He will pop into whatever buildings are open, see what he can learn about the technology by just looking around. Also about society. Whether there are beggars in the streets says a lot about a society. Whether there are footpads.

Also, he will look for a map and for "Ciorcal Thendara," which the mind-speaking woman mentioned when he had been asking for the equivalent of a library.
    [OOC - I only meant that you hadn't made a post between that one and the previous one I'd made in Lucas' story]

Lucas

After a quick bath to remove the road dust (you've noticed that this seems to be a society that places emphasis on cleanliness, every village you've been through had public baths with hot water, of all things to find in an apparently medieval society) and a change of clothes (the caravan folk have gifted you with a basic wardrobe), and some basic precautionary measures (tucking the leather coin purse you've acquired inside your clothes where a pickpocket is unlikely to get at it easily), you head back toward the road you arrived on, as, from what you could see from the hilltop north, it seems to continue south as far as the docks.

Walking south on what you've gathered is called the North Road, you walk for a while past more caravans on your right, and open fields on the left, broken by the occasional cluster of farm buildings or herd of cows or goats. After a short walk, you come to a crossroad that seems to mark the end of the caravanserai on one side, and the farmland on the other.

To the east side of the road you see the beginnings of a residential area, mostly small homes, many with a look of genteel shabbiness that suggests poorer folk trying to make the best of limited resources.

South of the caravanserai is what seems to be a large open-air bazaar, or maybe a fairground, with booths full of merchandise, food vendors with carts, entertainers, small restaurants - you'd call them cafés if this place had coffee - and crowds of people wandering about. You realise that this must be where the traders from Camilla's caravan will be setting up their booths tomorrow, somewhere. There's a large cobbled area - rather like a parking lot - where carriages wait with drivers, or hired stablemen, and also what you presume to be several carriages for hire are waiting for customers. You observe that both along the roads and in the bazaar there are gaslamps, though they have not yet been lit.

You consider your options - should you explore the bazaar, keep walking down toward the city, or blow some of your coins on a carriage ride?

Humming a few bars of "I've got a little list", "Oh sorry, I adore "The Mikado", I know some of songs. So both of the cases you have in your library here are from Earth...my home world. I wonder if they all are?"

Ruefully smiling, " I guess I must wait for the answer to that for a later date. I think I am done in for the day, if you of anything else you need please let me know. I think I will be here for a while, can you suggest the best way for me to learn your writing, I would love to be able to read and write. "
    Ivy

Dorthan nods. "Of course you would wish to read, you are clearly a well educated person accustomed to reading. We will begin with habla, which is a more regular language and highly phonetic in nature. Also, it is most commonly used, even among those who speak mostly teanga, because it is easier to write. We have copies here of several reading primers that you may borrow, but first we must show you the alphabet. Here, on this paper, as I speak the sounds of the the letters, write down what that sound is in your own language, and I will write the letter which represents it in habla. This way you will have a key to refer to and can proceed at your own rate."

As you go through the list of sounds with Dorthan, you are relieved to see that at least some of the letters are simply variants of the alphabet you know, although the alphabet is rather longer, with symbols for long and short vowels, and a few other sounds that in English are written by two letters together. This is going to be easier than you'd feared.
    Last edited by Meherrin; 06-13-2017 at 12:36 PM.

"Thank you Dorthan, this key will be very helpful." After taking her leave from Dorthan and the library, having some time before dinner to explore on her own, Ivy makes her way to the craft rooms, looking to find the cobbler.

Lucas
    Well, to be fair, Lucas has updated his priors and decided that this is more of a classical society than medieval -- Roman, not Anglo-Saxon. That somewhat raises the engineering expectations and fits nicely with the proliferation of public water projects, but doesn't really fundamentally alter the underlying judgement that the society is significantly behind his own technologically. There's just no getting around the underlying inefficiency of merchant trains as a form of trading. Those haven't been replaced by mass production of goods and services. In other words, no "industrial revolution."

This underlying judgement means that Lucas doesn't consider the bazaar. Considering his wages, Lucas also doesn't really consider the carriage ride. He's still young, and his legs work just fine. It'll be a walk -- but Lucas has several objectives, none of which can be achieved in the merchant caravan area. These objectives are the below:
    1) obtain employment as a bartender or similar, assuming that there is no significant legal obligation to commit to employment for a long period of time in this society, and also presuming that Lucas can obtain more money this way than by staying with Camilla.
    2) find a library and obtain as much information about how he got here and the ancient technology and, as mentioned before, a map, and the "Ciorcal Thendara." Also, a brief but wide-ranging history -- as much general information about major formative events as possible without going into detail or historical deconstruction. This last one is out of curiosity rather than objective-oriented thought.
    3) assess the culture of the place by some city peoplewatching. (Lords vs. everyone else? Beggars? Footpads? Armed guards?)

The goal:
    Nothing short of deciding what to do with the hand he's been dealt.

[OOC: sorry I've been out of commission for so long, I hope we can return to a reasonably regular schedule now.]

"Thank you Dorthan, this key will be very helpful." After taking her leave from Dorthan and the library, having some time before dinner to explore on her own, Ivy makes her way to the craft rooms, looking to find the cobbler.
    Ivy

On your way toward the craft workshops, you bump into Rafaella, who seems to be on the way back to your room. You mention your need for shoes, and she seems to ponder the question for a minute before replying.

"It all depends on what kind of shoes you want. If you want something special, there's a cobbler in town,but you would have to negotiate some form of barter with her. If it's just ordinary shoes you want, for inside the castle and grounds, or a plain sturdy boot for working or outdoor wear, you should visit the leatherworkers, their workshop is over by the stables. They have lots of plain footwear in all different sizes in storage for keeping the Guards and the castle staff properly equipped.

"If you're still planning to visit the village tomorrow I can help you with the cobbler there, or I'll come along to the leatherworkers' with you now."

Well, to be fair, Lucas has updated his priors and decided that this is more of a classical society than medieval -- Roman, not Anglo-Saxon. That somewhat raises the engineering expectations and fits nicely with the proliferation of public water projects, but doesn't really fundamentally alter the underlying judgement that the society is significantly behind his own technologically. There's just no getting around the underlying inefficiency of merchant trains as a form of trading. Those haven't been replaced by mass production of goods and services. In other words, no "industrial revolution."

This underlying judgement means that Lucas doesn't consider the bazaar. Considering his wages, Lucas also doesn't really consider the carriage ride. He's still young, and his legs work just fine. It'll be a walk -- but Lucas has several objectives, none of which can be achieved in the merchant caravan area. These objectives are the below:
    1) obtain employment as a bartender or similar, assuming that there is no significant legal obligation to commit to employment for a long period of time in this society, and also presuming that Lucas can obtain more money this way than by staying with Camilla.
    2) find a library and obtain as much information about how he got here and the ancient technology and, as mentioned before, a map, and the "Ciorcal Thendara." Also, a brief but wide-ranging history -- as much general information about major formative events as possible without going into detail or historical deconstruction. This last one is out of curiosity rather than objective-oriented thought.
    3) assess the culture of the place by some city peoplewatching. (Lords vs. everyone else? Beggars? Footpads? Armed guards?)

The goal:
    Nothing short of deciding what to do with the hand he's been dealt.
    Lucas

You continue walking along the North Road. There are now designated sidewalks on either side of the road, with smaller cobbling than on the street itself.

The bazaar is very large, but as you walk south, you see more indications of regular side roads and established businesses - buildings mostly empty at this time of day, but large enough to be - well, not factories, as you'd think of them, but places where goods are made by larger groups of people. You start seeing business signs, though they're difficult to interpret - the alphabet isn't all that unlike the one you know, but there seem to be more letters, and you really don't know the language well enough to read. Fortunately, the businesses here seem to like pictures in their signage, and you can see into the front showrooms of some buildings through the windows. You see what seem to be a wide range of goods for sale - furniture, carpets, plumbing and bathroom fixtures, decorative tiles - and a number of large-scale craft establishments - a carriage-maker, a few weavers, a maker of decorative statues, fountains and similar things.

On the other side of the road, for some time the homes grow a little larger, and more prosperous in appearance, with bigger lots and more flower gardens. Then, the residential area seems to come to an end and there are commercial buildings on both sides of the road.

As you walk along, you pass a lamplighter's cart headed north, refuelling and illuminating the lamps. From the slow appearance of lighting on the side streets, there seems to be a fleet of lamplighters out, but it does leave the city, well-illuminated. You've also been noticing the presence of a fair number of armed (with swords) uniformed people walking on pairs around the streets. They don't seem to bother people, and no one seems to act Intimidated. In fact, sometimes people wave at them, call out questions about local news, or ask them to come help with something - loading a carriage or wagon, cleaning up a large spill of something - or to tell them of something town-related that needs fixing in the neighbourhood. The - soldiers? police? - take all this in stride, being uniformly friendly, cheerful, helpful and equipped to record these messages for the town. The other group of municipal workers you see fairly often are manure carriers, who travel the streets removing the inevitable reminders of the horses.

You are approaching the city centre now. The commercial buildings on your right have begun to display more personal goods - you see shops selling various kinds of clothes, shoes, dishes, jewelry, swords, books, linens among other things. On the right, buildings have taken on a "municipal works" flavour, and you wonder if you are seeing the city's office buildings. Unfortunately, these signs don't have pictures.

At length, you reach a place that looks very much like a town square. Surrounded by four major streets, with official looking buildings on three sides and some shops - mostly bakeries, butcher's and dry goods - bars and restaurants on the fourth. Beyond these there seems to be a rather extensive farmer's market. The square itself is fully cobbled and large enough for a medium-sized demonstration. There are seats, trees, a few banks of flowers, some commemorative statues. On the block to the north of the square is a large building that has a sense of "City Hall" to it.

Lucas
    Men with swords and a smile are still men with swords. Fun fact. A well-maintained city with pronounced class distinctions is still a city with class conflict. Lucas isn't a historical materialist (and never will be, presuming that such theories aren't preserved somewhere in this place to be discovered), but as a trader in stories, there are some things one cannot help but notice. There is always a conflict between those who have and those who have not, when such divisions exist. Even in contexts where no one really struggles, people are quick to develop a distaste for inequities. Not just people, either. Studies with various animals from birds to apes have shown that if you give them differing levels of rewards (not even punishment), those who receive lesser rewards become resentful.

Anyway, that whole aside is just to say that Lucas, born and raised in a place referred to as "the city" by a billion souls, is mildly perturbed by the apparent order displayed by this hierarchical society. There's something inherently slimy about something that's too well-ordered, too slick.

Lucas hopes that there is some kind of equivalent of a "help wanted" posting that would be obvious enough that he wouldn't have to ask around. As an afterthought, he also hopes that the labor market around here is decent. (Given the apparent lack of mechanization, though, he shrugs that worry off pretty quickly.)

Lucas decides to start with a bar, looking for one that looks fairly welcoming. Feeling his money pouch, he decides to order a drink and see if he can make friends. Not that he is ungrateful for the merchant caravan's company, but, well, they have their perspective, and townsfolk will have another.

Ivy

On your way toward t
    "Thank you Rafaella, let's go to the leatherworkers now, I really need to get a change of footwear. I do want to go see the town tomorrow, perhaps I will get an idea of what I can do while in town to barter for things and be able to work."

Lucas hopes that there is some kind of equivalent of a "help wanted" posting that would be obvious enough that he wouldn't have to ask around. As an afterthought, he also hopes that the labor market around here is decent. (Given the apparent lack of mechanization, though, he shrugs that worry off pretty quickly.)

Lucas decides to start with a bar, looking for one that looks fairly welcoming. Feeling his money pouch, he decides to order a drink and see if he can make friends. Not that he is ungrateful for the merchant caravan's company, but, well, they have their perspective, and townsfolk will have another.
    Lucas

The bar you have chosen for your first contact experience is about three-quarters full. The clientele are mostly dressed in what seem like everyday clothes, not too flashy, possibly work clothes, though there are a few with more colourful attire. Most wear the ubiquitous short daggers that everyone seems to wear, a few - not in any uniform - wear swords. They range from young adult to middle age, and like people in bars everywhere, the snatches of conversation you catch walking through the tables to the bar seem to focus on gossip, weather, work and politics.

You overhear something about a young woman whose parents want her to go into the family business, but she wants to continue at school and has threatened to leave home if she has to. Several stories of love affairs in various forms and stages. Someone complaining to his companion about having to do cadet duty while everyone else can just relax on the 'chandan' if they want. Someone else talking about taking time off school to work on a large construction project somewhere. Someone talking about how fortunate his uncle was that the weather held til the harvest. Office gossip about promotions and work assignments.

You reach the bar and order your drink.

"Thank you Rafaella, let's go to the leatherworkers now, I really need to get a change of footwear. I do want to go see the town tomorrow, perhaps I will get an idea of what I can do while in town to barter for things and be able to work."
    Ivy

"Fine," Raefaella says to you, as you head outside into the courtyard and around toward the stables. She leads you to one of the worktables in the leatherworkers' shop - a rather large shop, with many people bustling about, and introduces you as a castle guest who needs shoes.

The cobbler looks you over - for height and weight, perhaps? - and indicates a bench for you to sit on. "Those are some very odd shoes you're wearing, never seen anything quite like them. But what are you looking for here? Soft shoe? Work shoe? Boot? Here, let me measure your feet of you will. Yes, if you could slip off both of your shoes, i'll ned to see if your feet are built different from each other - most people's are, at least a little bit."

"Wow" Ivy thought as she slipped off her sneakers, "Seems I will be getting custom shoes...what treat" Ivy explains to the cobbler in a mixture of Tengua and Habla....which is making both the cobbler and Raefaella laugh and help her with the Tengua words. Ivy explains she needs the shoes to walk around town and perhaps later go further afield ...perhaps light duty work shoes would do the trick.

Lucas
    Lucas moves slowly enough that it appears deliberate, but quickly enough that it doesn't appear slow, and watches as a few people order drinks, noting the value of the drinks and the standard words used to ask for it. He picks someone who looks like they're waiting for someone to take a seat near, gives a friendly hello (but not too friendly), and orders the most complex drink he saw anyone else order.

"Wow" Ivy thought as she slipped off her sneakers, "Seems I will be getting custom shoes...what treat" Ivy explains to the cobbler in a mixture of Tengua and Habla....which is making both the cobbler and Raefaella laugh and help her with the Tengua words. Ivy explains she needs the shoes to walk around town and perhaps later go further afield ...perhaps light duty work shoes would do the trick.
    Ivy

After your feet have been measured, the cobbler whistles over one of the apprentices scurrying about and gives instructions. The girl runs off. "I think we have something already made up that will suit you. But you will have to try them for a few days to see how they wear. If it's not a good fit, we'll try something else, or make up a new pair, but that will take some time. Ah, here they are." The apprentice returns, with a pair of study but not overly heavy work shoes. The cobbler helps you into them, and urges you to wiggle your toes, feel your way into the shoes, and then walk around for a bit. It's obvious that the cobbler knows his way around feet - they do indeed feel as though they had been made for you.

"Good, good, don't wear them for too long, the leather needs to soften a bit with gentle wear. Any problems, come back and tell me - especially if they pinch anywhere - that can be very bad, and is easily fixed."

You decide to wear the new shoes back to the castle, so you knot the laces of your sneakers together to carry them more easily and head off to dinner with Rafaella.

After dinner, one of the pages comes up and asks if you would please come with her, Lord Seanan would like to talk to you. Rafaella cones with you. This time you're taken to a comfortable meeting room, where Lord Seanan and the callach Merisa are sitting by a fireplace chatting in teanga. They switch to habla as you enter. Lord Seanan tells the page to draw up two chairs for you and Rafaella.

After some general inquiries about whether you are receiving everything you need and enjoying your stay, Lord Seanan tells you why he's asked to see you.

"Merisa has received word from Cathairis that may be of interest to you and may have an influence on your plans. But before I have her tell you what she has learned, let me say that you are welcome to stay here as long as you wish, even to make this your home if that is your choice. Everyone I have spoken to about you tells me that you are friendly, intelligent, eager to learn - everything that would be desired in a member of the staff here. I am certain we could find you a position here, of you wished it, Now, Merisa, if you please."

"As I said I would the other night, I contacted the caillais at Ciorcal Cathairis and informed them of the circumstances of your arrival. Their researches, and those of our clerks here, show that there have been others before you. More importantly, there have been two other appearances in recent days.

"A young man named Elliot appeared at Ciorcal Marlis in Kirdais. He has unfortunately fallen ill to threshold sickness - it seems that he is a latent callach and contact with a catalyst callach there inadvertently awakened his abilities. He is under care and expected to survive, but will likely be at Marlis for some time, an untrained telepath is dangerous to himself and those around him.

"Another young man, Lucas, appeared to a caravan of traders in northern Adenor. He was brought to the caillais at Ciorcal Shiral, who encouraged him to go to Cathairis. His caravan is due there shortly, and one of the caillais from Ciorcal Cathairis will contact him to find out more.

"I am told by the daraceanan at Ciorcal Shiral that sie has some knowledge of the process that brought you all here, though sie does not know of any way that you may be returned to your homes. This is due to the malfunction of an old working of the Cairini, who have long departed from all human lands, if any still live. They alone could help you to return, if any still live, if you could find them.
    "This is all I have been able to learn. I am sorry the news is not better."

You are not sure what to say, and Lord Seanan speaks into the silence. "It occurs to me that you may choose to go to Cathairis yourself, to find this other person. Or to Marlis. Or you may decide to stay here. But these are only names to you, let me show you a map of our kingdoms."

Lucas moves slowly enough that it appears deliberate, but quickly enough that it doesn't appear slow, and watches as a few people order drinks, noting the value of the drinks and the standard words used to ask for it. He picks someone who looks like they're waiting for someone to take a seat near, gives a friendly hello (but not too friendly), and orders the most complex drink he saw anyone else order.
    Lucas

The stranger nods politely at you as you sit down. You nod back.

Your drink - something called "Sheilig Tears" - seems to be whiskey of some sort, with brandy and a spicy fruit liqueur, mixed in a slightly sour fruit juice and garnished with a slice of sonething that might have been from the citrus family. As you sip your drink slowly, your neighbour opens with one of the standard bar conversation starting lines, "i don't think I've seen you around here before? I'm Tavis."

Seven Kingdoms Map 1 - towns and kingdoms

Seven Kingdoms Map 2 - topographical

Last edited by Meherrin; 06-24-2017 at 02:12 PM.

Ivy

"Thank you Lord Seanan, this is a lot of information may I please have a few days to think, this is all a bit overwhelming..."

Lucas
    (OOC: I meant to respond to this sooner -- I forgot. Whoops.)

Lucas smiles to himself. "No, you certainly haven't. I am a stranger here -- from a looooong way away. I'm called Lucas."

Ivy

"Thank you Lord Seanan, this is a lot of information may I please have a few days to think, this is all a bit overwhelming..."
    Ivy

"Of course. As I said, you are welcome here, whether as a guest, or a member of this household, should that be your choice. Or I will help you in whatever you decide to do. There is a caravan leaving Banailt in a few weeks for Cathairis - i can arrange passage for you with them if you wish, they travel south every winter to Mirain, then downriver to Skurra and along the coast road to Cathairis. They are good people, and I trust them - they act as our factors in certain purchases in the Cathairis markets. And merisa will give you letters of introduction to the ceanans of the Cathairis and Thendara ciorcals. Whatever you need, whatever you decide." He paused. "I cannot imagine what it must be like for you, and those others, alone in a world you do not know. But I would not have it said that the anyone in the tirnan of Banailt made your situation harder to bear."

Turning to Rafaella, Seanan continued "i leave it to you what further aud you woukd give to Ivy, but know that if your heart tells you it is right to go with her, I will send word to your father, and see that your village is wrll represented while you are gone."

The interview clearly over, you and Rafaella return to your room.

(OOC: I meant to respond to this sooner -- I forgot. Whoops.)

Lucas smiles to himself. "No, you certainly haven't. I am a stranger here -- from a looooong way away. I'm called Lucas."
    Lucas

Tavis lifts his drink to you as if in a toast. "Welcome to Cathairis, then, Lucas. Have you been here long?"
    Last edited by Meherrin; 07-12-2017 at 05:14 PM.