Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I would like to take a moment to thank our veterans

Default I would like to take a moment to thank our veterans

Including those that fought for the CSA, as they are American veterans as well.
    Also, MLK statues should be removed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

FDR statues promote racism and locking up Japanese for being Japanese. I can see why leftists want them to stay.

Are we taking down the Washington monument next?
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

Having snowflake moments lads?
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

Take down the statue of liberty it is sexist!

Quote Originally Posted by Avicenna
    That whose existence is necessary must necessarily be one essence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumi
    What you are seeking is also seeking you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    I have no problem with you fully supporting racism and bigotry out loud.

Honoring our veterans is the action of a snowflake?

Just a reminder that Obama is actually tweeting pictures of himself today to "honor" veterans.

Quote Originally Posted by cofc View Post
    Just a reminder that Obama is actually tweeting pictures of himself today to "honor" veterans.

Just remember that Donald Trump was of fighting age, 22 in 1968, during the height of the Vietnam war. Many Americans were drafted and thousands lost their lives. Donald Trump was granted 4 deferments, 3 for college, and one for being physically unfit.

Many Americans were punished for draft dodging, but Trump avoided the draft by lying that he is too physically incompetant to fight and got away with it.

Soldier who fought for the CSA are not veterans of the USA. They are veterans of the CSA. They fought against the USA and killed USA soldiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Just remember that I support the draft.
    Tell me more, fascist.

Quote Originally Posted by Foley View Post
    Soldier who fought for the CSA are not veterans of the USA. They are veterans of the CSA. They fought against the USA and killed USA soldiers.
    Than you for admitting the CSA was another country and thus not under the rule of any proclamations or orders by Lincoln.

Just remember that Donald Trump was of fighting age, 22 in 1968, during the height of the Vietnam war. Many Americans were drafted and thousands lost their lives. Donald Trump was granted 4 deferments, 3 for college, and one for being physically unfit.

Many Americans were punished for draft dodging, but Trump avoided the draft by lying that he is too physically incompetant to fight and got away with it.
    Summer, what does this have to do with memorial day?

"(e) For the purpose of this section, and section 433, the term 'veteran' includes a person who served in the military or naval forces of the Confederate States of America during the Civil War, and the term 'active, military or naval service' includes active service in such forces."

Quote Originally Posted by cofc View Post
    Tell me more, fascist.

Than you for admitting the CSA was another country and thus not under the rule of any proclamations or orders by Lincoln.
    Well that is true that they were their own country when the seceded from the USA they were brought back into the USA after being defeated. So when the lost they were under the rule of any proclamations or orders by Lincoln.

Well that is true that they were their own country when the seceded from the USA they were brought back into the USA after being defeated. So when the lost they were under the rule of any proclamations or orders by Lincoln.
    After losing, sure.

Confederate soldiers should also be remembered and honored. It's part of American history and they were American.

My father's ancestors fought in the US civil war, his ancestor arrived from Germany shortly before the war broke out and was drafted in the union army. It turns out that much of the union army was composed of recent Irish and German immigrants that were probably used as canon fodder to provide weight in numbers.

Confederate soldiers should also be remembered and honored. It's part of American history and they were American.

My father's ancestors fought in the US civil war, his ancestor arrived from Germany shortly before the war broke out and was drafted in the union army. It turns out that much of the union army was composed of recent Irish and German immigrants that were probably used as canon fodder to provide weight in numbers.
    You think the Irish were treated better than blacks in those days?

Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    You think the Irish were treated better than blacks in those days?
    In terms of which ethnic group had it worse. Blacks and native americans had it the worse off, blacks endured slavery, were cast out of jobs and schools were confined to only live in certain areas of cities. Blacks were often executed in public, they were the last ones hired and first ones fired, they were not given loans to buy land or start businesses. Many blacks were arrested for petty crimes like public drunkeness and served their sentences as prison laborers working in quarries and laying railroads.

In the union war effort, immigrants were used as expentables, many were drafted and or promised citizenship. Many immigrant soldiers were left unpaid and instead granted land out west - it worked out well for the US, they saved on actually paying soldiers and by granting land titles in the west to veterans, it made official claims to western territory and it reduced the population in eastern cities.

The best land titles were given to anglo-saxon Americans, entitlements with value either in coastal property or minerals. While german immigrant veterans were often given otherwise useless land in the mid-west and western territories, many ethnic germans ended up migrating to cities in the midwest. Irish Americans seemed to acknowledge the power of the political vote in politics and filled up the urban areas, the Irish organized politically and dominated political seats in major cities.

The answer is no, the Irish were treated as cattle.

The answer is no, the Irish were treated as cattle.
    Blacks arguably had it the worst, they had no political power, and little access to wealth and education.

Immigrants were exploited, whether it was being drafted in the union army or working in tough labor conditions. Immigrants in the 19th century ranged from Ireland, German states (Germany wasn't unified), Italy, Portugal, Poland, Russia, China, the middle east consiting of Ottoman Greeks, Syrians, Scandanavians, Latin Americans. Asian communities in California date back to the 1800s, which include Chinese, Korean, Filipino, and Japanese. Each group had their own hardships.

Indians had it the worst. They were the same as blacks with the exception of almost completely wiped out.

"indians" were about between 50-100 millions by estimation, but then they almost "extinct" by act of the people then the governmant!

Quote Originally Posted by н-υ-п-т-ε-я View Post
    "indians" were about between 50-100 millions by estimation, but then they almost "extinct" by act of the people then the governmant!
    More Native Americans died just before Europeans came to the shore than were ever killed by the white man. A plague ripped through them, and that may be the only reason why America ever had a chance to be the cesspool it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

Oh lord, now we are denying what we did to native americans. It's people like you who are making America a cesspool. Move to syria.

They should be remembered​ but not honored.

Blacks arguably had it the worst, they had no political power, and little access to wealth and education.

Immigrants were exploited, whether it was being drafted in the union army or working in tough labor conditions. Immigrants in the 19th century ranged from Ireland, German states (Germany wasn't unified), Italy, Portugal, Poland, Russia, China, the middle east consiting of Ottoman Greeks, Syrians, Scandanavians, Latin Americans. Asian communities in California date back to the 1800s, which include Chinese, Korean, Filipino, and Japanese. Each group had their own hardships.
    All immigrants had it rough. You cannot choose which group had it the worst. There is no right way to decide who had it the worst.

Random.org?

Random.org?
    Ha! I literally spat what I was drinking all over my screen when I saw that comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan Crane
    Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

Do you know a better way?

All immigrants had it rough. You cannot choose which group had it the worst. There is no right way to decide who had it the worst.
    I'm going with WTF! It's not arguable.

Is there anything at all about slavery that you think is equivalent? Yes, the native Americans were royally screwed over, and still are. But there is something not equivalent.

We already decided on random.org rok. It's the only way.

I'm going with WTF! It's not arguable.

Is there anything at all about slavery that you think is equivalent? Yes, the native Americans were royally screwed over, and still are. But there is something not equivalent.
    Did I specifically mention slavery or Native Americans?

I said immigrants since when were slaves or Native Americans immigrants?

However we can boil it down to a main argument if you want. Who had it worse? Slaves or Native Americans?

Did I specifically mention slavery or Native Americans?

I said immigrants since when were slaves or Native Americans immigrants?

However we can boil it down to a main argument if you want. Who had it worse? Slaves or Native Americans?
    Well, OK, if you meant to exclude them. But you posted after a quote including them. So, I assumed you were meaning his whole quoted part.
    As for who had it worse, I don't know. I would guess some of the native Americans and most of the slaves at any one average point in history. Now, I suspect the native Americans do. But I don't know as much about Native Americans because 1. I'm not american, and 2. They are a smaller minority without much international voice.

Well, OK, if you meant to exclude them. But you posted after a quote including them. So, I assumed you were meaning his whole quoted part.
    As for who had it worse, I don't know. I would guess some of the native Americans and most of the slaves at any one average point in history. Now, I suspect the native Americans do. But I don't know as much about Native Americans because 1. I'm not american, and 2. They are a smaller minority without much international voice.
    I'm too lazy to edit parts I dont want to address, I was referring to the groups of immigrants debate.

Is there anything at all about slavery that you think is equivalent?
    It can actually have the same outcome if not worse. The whole indentured servitude thing that happened before slavery became widespread in America basically was slavery. And some former slaves actually had worse quality of life after they were freed because as sharecroppers they were then responsible for their own living expenses and the income they earned often didn't even pay for those.
    Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi loqui debuit ac potuit.

[7:32 AM] Jason (Al Bundy raidslave): Who the **** loses an arti to 18 phalanx
    [7:32 AM] Old Timer US1: The same faction that loses one to 66 legos

They do a job that I can't ever do. God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    It can actually have the same outcome if not worse. The whole indentured servitude thing that happened before slavery became widespread in America basically was slavery. And some former slaves actually had worse quality of life after they were freed because as sharecroppers they were then responsible for their own living expenses and the income they earned often didn't even pay for those.
    Shhh lurk, let them be naive.

I said they all had it rough, I didn't list immigrant in order of oppression.

Some immigrants come wealthy some immigrants come poor.

That's how I feel about the 9/11 victims.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    I'm not very bright.

I said they all had it rough, I didn't list immigrant in order of oppression.

Some immigrants come wealthy some immigrants come poor.
    That's what we need random.