Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Agent

Default Free Agent

I'm considering coming out of retirement for another round.

Questions I dont feel like figuring out on my own:

when is the planned restart for this server?

AND

What is the current political climate coming off the last few servers?

make me an offer, references and resume available upon request!

Mod disclaimer: I know there is a proper section for this, that I am not posting in, but the forums look to be dead from what I remember. so, I figured this would be the best spot for my post to get seen
    S1R3: Silentium(DSP)/ TheSteelCurtain
    S1R4: The Godfather (TRU)
    S1R5: Tyler Durden (HB)

S4R2: Firefly99/ Atirakis/ Sleaze (WP-BOHICA)
    S4R3: Dusty Bottoms (RED)

thanks for the feedback its been a big help!
    S1R3: Silentium(DSP)/ TheSteelCurtain
    S1R4: The Godfather (TRU)
    S1R5: Tyler Durden (HB)

S4R2: Firefly99/ Atirakis/ Sleaze (WP-BOHICA)
    S4R3: Dusty Bottoms (RED)

I would help but I honestly have no idea as to the answer of either of those questions. I've heard that this round will be fun though.

I just came back from a several year break as well; I actually think I recognize you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    We learnt ... from [Kimmie]!
    Quote Originally Posted by FA Belladonna View Post
    Kurtz, the horse is dead, please stop beating it.

Quote Originally Posted by tarheels09 View Post
    when is the planned restart for this server?
    The current round is set to finish in less than 24hrs. A quick estimate is late July / early August although it is exactly that; an estimation.

Quote Originally Posted by tarheels09 View Post
    What is the current political climate coming off the last few servers?
    It's not going to have too much to do with this upcoming server due to the way it's been presented as a 'veteran server'.
    As is, I don't have the details for previous s1 rounds so someone else will need to fill you in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan Crane
    Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

A lot of people are going to play this round, that is all that I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    The current round is set to finish in less than 24hrs. A quick estimate is late July / early August although it is exactly that; an estimation.

It's not going to have too much to do with this upcoming server due to the way it's been presented as a 'veteran server'.
    As is, I don't have the details for previous s1 rounds so someone else will need to fill you in.
    The briefest possible summary I can give to you of the s1 that is currently ending:

A group called GONE spawns in the NE. A group called BTDT spawns in the SW, their goal is for a natar win. BTDT crushes GONE and causes them to mass delete. All of a sudden the server is so boring that BTDT decides to build a WW so that the server will end sooner. It ends in the next 24 hours.

Hence why this next restart is being drummed up so much and why it has nothing to do with previous rounds of s1... we're looking to put together a real server with the best of the best.
    Calling out weak trolling since December 2012

S1 R6 - Caesarum R7 - Carni R8 - Phantom
    S2 R8 - Storeythor
    S4 R8 - Carni
    S5 R5 - Blackbird R7 - BBC
    S8 R2 - Eazykills
    S19 R1 - Seba18

Quote Originally Posted by Carni View Post
    with the best of the best.
    Also some people who aren't .

*cough*me*cough*

The next s1 will be such a hodge podge of talent and people coming out of retirement that previous rounds are not much of a factor.. The only caveat to that is there are some who wont play on the same team as others..

As for this server being a "best of the best" server, that was already done on s1r7..

This server was more of an attempt to bring as many people as possible to try a full 4 quad contest.. It fell short, with two teams recruiting heavily for their own quads..

One team, led by Foley, is pretty much silent here and as such who knows if they're actually coming, but if they do they are supposed to be going n/w.. The two main teams that are heavily recruiting are going s/w and n/e.. No one would commit to bringing a team to the s/e soo that's likely where all the black sheep, and misfits will go..
    s1 : Storeythor http://travian-reports.net/us/report/2674061c50d
    Gotta be talented to look after 2 WW's simultaneously. Or crazy... Crazy seems more like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gressor2 View Post
    The more I read of OdinLoki's posts, the more I want to play alongside him. Not for the results, as frequently good as they are, but for the sheer fun he seems to have at it. Would + rep if I could, man. Always enjoy reading your stuff... and mostly cringe at the results contained in 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas00 View Post
    Storeythor,most offensive/defensive account holder on the server.
    Quote Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
    He's a nut and the more the odds are stacked against him, the better he seems to come out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by odinloki View Post
    The next s1 will be such a hodge podge of talent and people coming out of retirement that previous rounds are not much of a factor.. The only caveat to that is there are some who wont play on the same team as others..

As for this server being a "best of the best" server, that was already done on s1r7..

This server was more of an attempt to bring as many people as possible to try a full 4 quad contest.. It fell short, with two teams recruiting heavily for their own quads..

One team, led by Foley, is pretty much silent here and as such who knows if they're actually coming, but if they do they are supposed to be going n/w.. The two main teams that are heavily recruiting are going s/w and n/e.. No one would commit to bringing a team to the s/e soo that's likely where all the black sheep, and misfits will go..
    I'm around, we are still very far away and the conversation here seems to be only about kimmie.

Quote Originally Posted by Foley View Post
    I'm around, we are still very far away and the conversation here seems to be only about kimmie.
    Foley do you guys use Discord or Skype? Asking for a friend.

(Disclaimer: I am friends with myself)

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    Foley do you guys use Discord or Skype? Asking for a friend.

(Disclaimer: I am friends with myself)
    (ask for me)

My skype is fooollleeeyyy if you want to contact me there.

Specific skype room for annoying notifications has not been set up yet.

My skype is fooollleeeyyy if you want to contact me there.

Specific skype room for annoying notifications has not been set up yet.
    I think we were looking for a Discord-using team .

But ok. I would be a fool not to, right? It would be a real folly.

s1 current round will be over in 2 min.. There has been no mention of Kimmie in this thread..
    Gotta be talented to look after 2 WW's simultaneously. Or crazy... Crazy seems more like it.
    The more I read of OdinLoki's posts, the more I want to play alongside him. Not for the results, as frequently good as they are, but for the sheer fun he seems to have at it. Would + rep if I could, man. Always enjoy reading your stuff... and mostly cringe at the results contained in 'em.
    He's a nut and the more the odds are stacked against him, the better he seems to come out of it.

The only caveat to that is there are some who wont play on the same team as others..
    We will finally find out which one of us is "T" and which is "A".

I think we were looking for a Discord-using team .

But ok. I would be a fool not to, right? It would be a real folly.
    Im open to new technologies, I experienced slack for the first time recently. If there is a demand Im open to change.

We will finally find out which one of us is "T" and which is "A".
    This is already a known formula.. Clearly I am the "A"..
    Last edited by odinloki; 06-07-2017 at 06:07 PM.

Im open to new technologies, I experienced slack for the first time recently. If there is a demand Im open to change.
    The only thing... There is usually communication between alliances, obviously, and that I think is the reason that Skype is so big in this game. Everyone basically agreed to use Skype rather than IRC so that you could backread logs.. To get one alliance to move over would basically require every alliance to move over IMO.

I'd also just like to mention that IMO Discord > Skype
    Hai, I'm Jarwa

Many achievements. 10+ year player.

Best achievements:
    #1 attacker - s5r3 Constellation
    #3 Attacker, builder of 3 EGH's, leader, and WW winner of s3r8 - Jarwa / TL;DR

Discord can be good for small groups who are all around at once or like "conferences" for leaders, but the ability to back read in Skype is why it continues to dominate for this game.
    Calling out weak trolling since December 2012

S1 R6 - Caesarum R7 - Carni R8 - Phantom
    S2 R8 - Storeythor
    S4 R8 - Carni
    S5 R5 - Blackbird R7 - BBC
    S8 R2 - Eazykills
    S19 R1 - Seba18

The ability to spy

The ability to require authentication in Discord is good against spying. Also, you can absolutely backread. Anything Skype can do, Discord can do better, and some things Skype can't do, Discord can do.

But -- there are two decisive points in favor of Skype, (1) inertia (everyone is already on it), and (2) legibility (people have told me it's a lot easier to read Skype than discord).

So, if there's a team that is gonna use anything but Skype (which I hate with a burning passion that burns more brightly than a thousand suns), I'll probably join them. But I'm guessing that won't happen, so I'll have to pick the team that most needs my handsomeness.*

* "needs my handsomeness" should probably be read as "willing to put up with my badness at Travian and my ridiculousness"

I've been in other communities that have had organizations of over 100 people on them. One I was particularly involved with had 650 altogether and probably around 200 active.

If there's anyone that is interested in using Discord, I'd be willing to teach you how to use it, set up servers, and security in a manner that would ensure they can do it themselves.

The big issue with discord it legibility. Until you can adjust the font size many people will not be willing to us it. Also their penchant for dark background and light print is hard on older eyes. They do allow you to switch to a white background with gray font, it just does not have a high enough contrast for ease of reading.
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

Quote Originally Posted by Flossie Schmumpus View Post
    The big issue with discord it legibility. Until you can adjust the font size many people will not be willing to us it. Also their penchant for dark background and light print is hard on older eyes. They do allow you to switch to a white background with gray font, it just does not have a high enough contrast for ease of reading.
    User Settings -> Appearance -> Chat Font Scaling. That addresses one of the issues, I hope.

Not sure what you can do about the background and fonts.

Quote Originally Posted by ECH0 View Post
    User Settings -> Appearance -> Chat Font Scaling. That addresses one of the issues, I hope.

Not sure what you can do about the background and fonts.
    Does that work on the ipad version?
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    This is what I wonder.

They recently added the font size thing to the computer version but not the phone version. I don't own a tablet so I can't check!

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    I don't believe so; I don't have one either but fiddled around with my iPhone.

I don't see an option in Appearance, I also went to the accessibility settings in general but it does not appear compatible.

I'll poke around though and see what I can find.

It is possible that they have not yet updated mobile; typically they move new features over later.

The learning curve is why Skype is the go to chat.

If it weren't for learning curve, we might all have shell accounts, using screen so we can scroll back in IRC.

It's not as easy as using mIRC, so people Skype.

Echo, being able to font scale must be a new feature, about three months ago a group of us were trying Discord out for a different server and we could not get it to adjust the font size....we looked.
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

Echo, being able to font scale must be a new feature, about three months ago a group of us were trying Discord out for a different server and we could not get it to adjust the font size....we looked.
    They implemented it last month, due to user complaints

They implemented it last month, due to user complaints
    That explains it, it is/was a major hurdle.

That explains it, it is/was a major hurdle.
    If it doesn't work on an ipad, it's still a major hurdle. Also, the colours of background and text are important. Need enough but not blinding contrast.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

Yup -- I still keep Skype around just for Travian. I like Discord more though!

We investigated Discord last year. Here are some of the issues we found:

1) As already stated, there was an issue with universal acceptance in game. For someone like me (and just as one example), having to jump between two platforms to communicate with those outside my alliance was a daunting prospect.

2) As stated as well, old eyes. I am happy to see that may have been resolved.

3) Universal acceptance outside of the game: there are some who use skype not only for the game, but also for business and personal use. This leads, again, to having to use two platforms. We heard loud and clear that those affected with this point preferred having one place to do all of their communication.

4) Compatibility. We had a bunch who simply could not get Discord to run on their computers, tablets or phones. In some cases, the players only had the one option to use, so it was not as simple as telling them 'try it on your other device'.

So yeah. I can see where Discord has advantages over skype. Personally, I have been frustrated with skype since Microsoft took control. I simply feel the platform is still too new, with too many drawbacks (as listed above) to jump in head first. In time, yes. Just not yet.
    Leader of KoN (S5), TLDRDTX (S3), CIN and PaN (2016 tournie)
    NI!

This is already a known formula.. Clearly I am the "A"..
    I just want to kill you.

beast.jpg

Or be killed by you.

I just want to kill you.
    You'll have to go through me first!
    Or more specifically my 500,000 Lego

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bane View Post
    You'll have to go through me first!
    Or more specifically my 500,000 Lego
    I smell blood and bone meal for the TBP.

(2) legibility (people have told me it's a lot easier to read Skype than discord).
    Skype's bright white screen makes my eyes bleed. Someone make it dark like Discord and I'll like it more.
    Hai, I'm Jarwa

Many achievements. 10+ year player.

Best achievements:
    #1 attacker - s5r3 Constellation
    #3 Attacker, builder of 3 EGH's, leader, and WW winner of s3r8 - Jarwa / TL;DR

I smell blood and bone meal for the TBP.
    You can clear that pile or I'll withdraw them and launch them on Meherrin. Ten 50k hamvils with siege attached. Oh the horror! The humanity! Mwahahahaha

I just want to kill you. .
    Be careful what you ask..
    A wise man once said......
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bane View Post
    You'll have to go through me first!:

......for the TBP.
    What's a TBP ??