Thread: GenChat's favourite fantasy films

Default GenChat's favourite fantasy films

We had science fiction films a while ago, let's see if anyone watches fantasy and wants to nominate some personal favourites.

The field is almost wide-open - I'm restricting this to live action fantasy because I intend to do a nomination/poll on animated films in the future. So....

Is The Lord of the Rings trilogy your fantasy ideal? Did you fall for the tiger in Life of Pi? Does Rutger Hauer's tortured medieval lover from Ladyhawke haunt you? Or can you just not get enough of Indiana Jones? Does the classic gentleness of Harvey move you? Do you watch Groundhog Day over and over and over again? Do you long to play quiddich with Harry Potter? Or is serious allegory like Bergman's The Seventh Seal more to your taste? Did The Field of Dreams strike a deep chord? Or is The Princess Bride exactly as you wish? Is King Kong (the original) still the big one for you?

Ghosties, goblins, magic, improbable creatures and inexplicable events, all are the stuff of fantasy. Pkease make your nominations, as many as you wish.
    Last edited by Meherrin; 06-18-2017 at 06:08 PM.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

Lord of The Rings

The Hobbit

Pirates of The Caribbean (I think last one was the best, did not watch the current one however)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avicenna
    That whose existence is necessary must necessarily be one essence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumi
    What you are seeking is also seeking you.

LotR ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonothan Crane
    Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

Yeah, I kind of expect LotR to be a major standout.

But there are other fantasies..... And they're good too.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.

Ooh. Both Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle also fit the genre.

Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Ooh. Both Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle also fit the genre.
    Not live action, I believe. There will be a thread for animated films soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    Not live action, I believe. There will be a thread for animated films soon.
    I missed that part of the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    I missed that part of the OP.
    Just think, you will have the pleasure of remembering and championing them again when that thread happens.

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

LOTR
    I wish I could be less ROTM.
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

LoTR. Almost feel like this should be a 'we assume LoTR what else' thread

Having said that: I LOVE Willow and The Princess Bride. Also love Beetlejuice.
    Leader of KoN (S5), TLDRDTX (S3), CIN and PaN (2016 tournie)
    NI!

OH ! How about --

Quote Originally Posted by Meherrin View Post
    I'm restricting this to live action fantasy because I intend to do a nomination/poll on animated films in the future. So....
    Dammit nevermind.

*walks away sadly*

Ladyhawke brings back memories....lovely romantic movie.

Princess Bride, perfect fairy tale.
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

An interesting question. The obvious answer is LOTR, though I think it should be clear the Hobbit films are not included. They feel like cheap imitations with all that CGI.

I'm having the most intense memory block at the moment. I would look to my DVD wall but they are all packed up at the moment. One group of movies comes to mind; the Dragonheart movies. I only saw the first two or three, I think there are more now. Not LOTR calibar but they were enjoyable.

Pirates of the Caribbean is a big series but I mean how many times can you have undead pirates?

If anymore come to mind I will chime in.

I think I'm going to be daring for this poll and set it up so everyone has two votes, that will deal with the 'obvious LotR' issue. Because there are fantasy films other than LotR.

I myself am highly partial to The Princess Bride, Ladyhawke, and the first Dragonheart film with Sean Connery.

As well as LotR, which is a masterpiece.

Also on my list, which is a longish one as this is one of my favourite genres, are the two completely dissimilar Arthurian fantasies, Excaliber and Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

And then there's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

And (because I am a MacLeod of Clan MacLeod and, well, Sean Connery), there's the first, but only the first, Highlander.
    Last edited by Meherrin; 06-19-2017 at 09:23 AM.

Excalibur. Loved in the theater, and it is still one of my favorite movies of all time. LOTR and Harry Potter, and all the others listed here are great - it's hard to go wrong with fantasy, but give me Excalibur as the best.

"Guards, knights, squires, prepare for battle."

"Anál nathrach,
    orth’ bháis’s bethad,
    do chél dénmha"

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Excalibur. Loved in the theater, and it is still one of my favorite movies of all time. LOTR and Harry Potter, and all the others listed here are great - it's hard to go wrong with fantasy, but give me Excalibur as the best.

"Guards, knights, squires, prepare for battle."

"Anál nathrach,
    orth’ bháis’s bethad,
    do chél dénmha"
    It is quite a marvellous thing, isn't it? I loved Nichol Willianson's interpretation of Merlin, he made it his own, and yet was surprisingly true to some of the earliest source material for the mythos.

And just crammed with fantastic actors. Helen Mirren, Patrick Stewart, Gabriel Byrne, Liam Neeson, Ciarán Hinds, Corin Redgrave, Nigel Terry... What a cast.

So many moments from that film I can just close my eyes and I can see and hear them. Even the music was great.

And I speak as someone who studied Arthurian literature at university, wrote her thesis on aspects of the Arthurian mythos, loves the various older permutations of the material and hisses at parts of most modern takes on Arthur. Boorman got so much very, very right in his portrayal of the myth as myth.

Jumanji
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

I'm still sad I can't suggest Spirited Away because hands down best. I'm also going to be sad if I will have to put Spirited Away and Yellow Submarine in the same category.

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    Jumanji
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

I'm still sad I can't suggest Spirited Away because hands down best. I'm also going to be sad if I will have to put Spirited Away and Yellow Submarine in the same category.
    I'm actually contemplating two polls, one for anime and one for western animated films. Convince me that this is a good idea.

Pan's Labyrinth ... Something about the way Latin America does magic and fantasy is so wonderful. I know it's old, but I don't get around to watching many movies
    "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost."

Quote Originally Posted by Creep-er View Post
    Pan's Labyrinth ... Something about the way Latin America does magic and fantasy is so wonderful. I know it's old, but I don't get around to watching many movies
    This has actually been suggested to me before, but I also don't watch many movies .

@ Meherrin: psst, whatever you are thinking is a good idea.

I'm thinking I should post the poll before the lights go out.

This has actually been suggested to me before, but I also don't watch many movies .

I may have been the one who suggested it. In terms of pacing and balance between the action/characterization/narration, it's one of the more impressive SFF movies, IMO.
    "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost."

The country with the world's longest official name

I'm going to suggest Who Framed Roger Rabbit, just to mess with Meherrin's live action/animated distinction.

Ok, I knew I had to be forgetting a few from when I was a kid, so I looked some lists.

Bedknobs and broomsticks dazzled me as a young child. We saw it as an assembly in the gym.
    I can't remember if anyone mentioned Pirates of the Caribbean, either.
    And Clash of the Titans (the old version) was pretty entertaining to me when I saw it, too.

As far as animated goes, did anyone see the trippy 70s movie Wizards?

Alas, too late, the poll has been posted.

Well, you named all the ones I love already, but missed a few (I know I'm too late :P gonna list them anyway!!)

Stardust is amazing. Especially love Robert DeNiro in it.
    It's a Wonderful Life may be the first Fantasy movie that brought me to tears.
    The entire Harry Potter series.
    Wizard of Oz.
    I will say that as much as I love LadyHawke, the soundtrack makes me want to shove sharpened pencils into my ears over and over until the tips touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.