Thread: The Handmaids Tale

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

Default The Handmaids Tale

Who's watching it?

Who's wondering at the exquisite timing of it?

I held off for a while, but I'm actually very impressed. I didn't think it would do the book justice, but I think it is doing just great (I'm only 3 eps in).
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

Stop reposting threads that already exist.

Women that lack intelligence think it is relevant, intelligent people laugh at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    Who's watching it?

Who's wondering at the exquisite timing of it?

I held off for a while, but I'm actually very impressed. I didn't think it would do the book justice, but I think it is doing just great (I'm only 3 eps in).
    We get it, you aren't a very good homemaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    We get it, you aren't a very good homemaker.
    That's actually true, if you mean in terms of nicey wifey. I'm not.

I watched and enjoyed it - well, maybe 'enjoy' isn't the best choice of words, but I thought it was well done and captured the spirit of the original quite well, at least for most of the run.

I'm not sure how I feel about the producers' idea to turn it into a regular series, which really does change the focus to that of a resistance narrative. We'l see what happens if that is the route they decide to follow.

It has been said several times, and given the time involved in making projects like this it's probably true, that the miniseries was planned before recent political events - but there's been a pretty long build-up in the erosion of the idea of separation of (Christian) church and state and the way it's affecting women and LBGT+ people, so it doesn't really require a lot of prescience to come up with something that strikes close to home.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

I think they portrayed the whole "how did we let it get this far" idea quite well. Constant "they won't get away with that"... but they do. And no one actually doing anything about it until it's too late.

Went to a social catch-up yesterday. About a dozen sitting around chatting. I was talking to an older woman about this. One of the guys - professional, business owner - when he heard "pretty scary given what's happening in america" replied "to women". He wasn't being funny.
    Now isn't THAT one of the scariest responses?