Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Histories and Tales of .us Forums.

Somewhere in the infinite muttle that is our beloved internet.

Default Histories and Tales of .us Forums.

Original form was posted by Soulbourne here. This is the more complete History.

Please help me in writing these great tales! These histories aren't for me, they are for you too, so if you want you can always help in writing them. Also, as many know, I'm often absent for long periods of time. So, in an effort to keep the Histories up to date, I ask that the community offer to write segments, and the mod who organizes it to pick what they feel is the best one and to add it. Comments and ideas are always appreciated.

1.1 The Beginning

The land we know as .us was born by an expanding empire far to the east. It was placed here to cater too and unite many peoples in a bit to expand the motherland and spread it's culture here. A land was forged and the first few residents came, word of a colony needing people spreading to nearby lands.

Along it's fringes formed cultures that were the trademark of the motherland, villages spawned, garrisoned and protected under the watchful eye of the civilizations homeland for a while before being sent out to conquer, or be conquered. The colonizers from the surrounding lands ruled these places, and viscous wars were fought.

1.2 The Empire Leaves

During the time of colonies sprouting Heroes are born and fallen. The First wielders of the Ban hammers kept some order but soon all died without heirs. With little governance and the Homeland expanding in other lands the colonies are abandoned and struggled for survival.

2.1 The Dark Ages

These were chaotic times, with many wars fought with elsewhere, only a small militia with little power left to defend the Central Lands.

Many wars were fought between factions of which would never gain control. The lands were thrown into dark turmoil. And the homeland didnít lift but a finger.

Although during these times a glimmer of hope would come to the people. Towns would rise and become wealthy but eventually would die. However some would live, and still live today. Little is know of these times because records were destroyed during the turmoil.

2.2 The Great Turkish Invasion

A Far away nation saw the chaos of the colonies and tried to assume control. The result was not a new ruling but a devastating war. The colonies, now towns, were fiercely independent and were united to fight the common foe. Huge battles were fought, many deaths were sustained but something unexpected happened. The homeland sent aid. And Aid was much needed. The invaders were quickly crushed.

3.1 The Rise and Rulership of Taranis the Regent.

After the Aid had come from the Homeland it stayed and put forth order. The Homeland chose a governor the rule the lands and he would in time lead the towns to a great Nation. His name was Taranis.

He quickly worked to clean up and restore order to the lands; much work was there to do. But eventually he was able to restore a glorious order to .us, wielding a mighty Bans sword, he cleaned out invaders, sent away those who defiled the forums permanently, and placed us into what was to be called a Golden Age for .us. During this time contacts with the homeland are made.

3.2 Growth in Power and Population.

In the beginning of this time, the wielders of the Ban hammers returned once more, this time to rise up the regent into one of their own. They granted Taranis a mighty Ban hammer, and the many powers that came with it. In this time he quickly moved forth, acquiring many assistants to rule over with him. He put forth his power and enforced much stricter order onto the realm. He promoted two people up into a position that held the same powers he did while he was a regent for .us, Woden and Theo.

This was a strict age, but a prosperous one, many new people came and stayed in the lands, although their Ban weapons were used more, many were considered to fair.

3.3 War with the Homeland

Growing more powerful and known led the people to believe that they were unstoppable. Disagreements arose between .us and the homeland about laws and management. After many heats fights between the two an all out war broke out. But because of distance fighting was hard and both sides warriors faced the entirety of the others population. The war ended.

But soon with tensions on the rise again another war broke out with the homeland. This one was shorter but much for devastating. With large numbers of powerful people fighting everywhere Deaths were enormous. Those that were involved and lived were never allowed to even the others territory again.

Because of these two wars and continuing disagreements about management and laws the people never saw the homeland the same again, and most likely never will.

4.1 The Golden Age Ends

Many famous heroes and leaders spawned of the Golden Age had died. Although population had continued to grow people grew more distant. The Arts of the Golden Age slow. Theo who gained great renown had left the lands and Woden had given up his power. As the homeland continued to father more nations many dear loved ones left but this did not, however, effect the lands as a whole

5.1 Rebirth

As time went on our great king Taranis was aging and feeling strained. So with the power invested in him he brought another to his rank. This second king was known as Fighter who had risen though the ranks quickly. These two kings lead the land well and people began to come back and growth began anew. .us grew in power and influence and an astounding, yet controversial advancement was made.

5.2 A New System

To help stop the the crimes of the lower ranks the Kings Fighter and Taranis made a new social system that was readily embraced by some of the population. This new system, known as Feudalism, was to lead the land in place of the tribal systems of olden times.

5.3 Rebellion

Unlike other changes to the government and social aspects of the land the new advent of Feudalism lead the Nation to rebellion. Many rose in arms against the new system and soon two factions spawned, the Rebellion and the Supporters. Whole towns rebelled. And though the Rebellion was strong for a while more and more people loyal to the leadership of Taranis rose in arms against the rebels. Many skirmishes were fought along the lands and a few major battle were fought too. These battles are almost all won by those loyal to the new system and proved that the rebellion was hopeless.

5.4 War of Words and Acceptance

Although the open rebellion had ended the people against Feudalism continued on. However not on great battle fields and skirmishes. They put down their arms and marched in protests. Soon more people than anticipated were marching for the old ways. However, as time when on the problems with Feudalism began to die. People beyond the law enforcement gained power. The very people that fought a bloody civil war gained ranks of great power.

6.1 A Welcomed peace

After many years of bloody civil war and civil unrest peace returned to the Nation. This glorious time heralded a rise of many new peoples who gained fame a renown equal or greater than that of the old lords, Woden, Theo, davey, and more.

6.2 The Three the Queens

Tiiger, Ms. Evil, Belladonna, and more influence much of the Nation and many seek to join them in their power. While these Queens hold no more legal power over the people than other people, their reputation and renown earns them respect in any court and their scorn can ensure that any that angers them will live only to regret it. These women bring a reinvigorated meaning to the old saying "Hell Hath no fury like a woman scorned." A lesson many fear.

6.3 Return of the Kings

Though they had lost their title as "kings" and hold merly a shadow the influence that they used to hold they had returned. The first to return was Theo, under a new name served a different purpose, that of the scholar and debater. Woden reclaimed some of his lands and rules as a noble, and Davey, who once held much power now is seen as noble. Though these nobles are reviered, they hold not the power of the three Queens.

7.1 A New Day Dawns

The Kings and Queens of Old had fallen and Taranis and Fighter had forced the nobility to give up their power. Few held the same force they held once. While some are angry, they could do nothing to stop it. Some were happy, however. No longer would the noose of the Senators and Consuls strangle them.

7.2 A Great Man

Taranis, the man who everyone knew. The man who changed the nation. The man who left. Better worded, he stepped down. It was a sad day, and many cried. This man had increased the wealth, population and power of .us tenfold. But the weight of rule had finally proven to much for this great man. He still is held in the highest regard. He still is loved.

7.3 And So Comes Fighter1405

Fighter was already know by the people. During the reign of Taranis He implemented Feudalism, and the revisions to it. He was also very active among the people and is loved for it. They trust him. His reign is not yet long, and we shall see how he fares.

8.1 Slowly Dieing

A sad day had fallen. The dream of one day returning to, and surpassing, the Golden Age had died, and all the people could cling to was a dieing hope that the lands would not deteriorate even more. Fighter had done what he could, but as time went on, the situation got worse and worse. Renegades roamed the lands. Many a bad plague had killed much of the population. And harvests were unsuccessful. As this happened the law keepers and the good left, leaving the lands at the mercy of rogues. It was not a good time.

8.2 Death Postponed

After many a good harvest people ate again. And because their bodies were strong plagues became less of a problem. With this new wealth in the lands many a highway man left his behind his sword to become an honest man, lest the law catch up to him. Fighter had began leading his people out of this harsh time. It would be long and hard, but it would happen.
    Last edited by JeffSpade; 04-06-2010 at 02:53 AM.
    Every now and then I re-read a post I made and think, "My Kentucky is showing through"

-JeffSpade

8.3 Two More

With this new growth in the lands Fighter was the benefit of having some help in the high ranks beside him, two Right Hand Men if you will. These two were Nichts and Lurk. Lurk was, as his name implies, lurking in the shadows. rising in the ranks to Vice Admin. But everyone knew him. Like a secret police you never knew if he was there. He made his way through the ranks to Vice Admin. And then there was Nichts. Nichts was very well known among the people. Always out there with them. A very fun and happy man. No one saw it coming when he became a moderator. He proved himself well and moved to the rank of Super, and then Vice Admin.
    Added: 08.06.09

An Honorable Mention

Over the course of time the main Histories took account of only the big and the bad. The people and events that made crowds roar. Yet the Nation and the lands are like a stage, and a stage really flounders without it's back stage crew.

Thronodor rose through the Moderator ranks and met the challenges of Super Mod long ago and he still is there, holding an important front, everyday. The few times he does enter a court he demands respect, partially because he is powerful, and partially because he rarely does come out into the light.

Tivon, used to be one with the people. And when he rose to job to Moderator, he did, for a time. Yet as life went on Tivon slipped away. He is still here, a mainly quiet man, that goes about his business. He has moderated well, and had been doing so for a very long time.

Stupidus has an age that rivals JeffSpade's, and has been here since the beginning. Disappearing at times yet never too far away. He keeps the forums in check, never flinching in duty, he fights, day and night, for .us

Marie aka the Eye is a very public figure. Moderating the people for an age or so she has always been around, if not the center of, the crowd.

9.1 The Purging

The heads of state seeing the growing corruption of the slums and the men and women who run them, began a public opinion war to clean up the "mess." Most of the people, or Dumpsters, as they were known, already there had no problems with who things were run yet the others saw this as a terrible place that brought the whole of .us down. Three parties formed, one not wanting change, one wanting a little change, and one wanting complete change. Battles in the streets were the result. public challenges and fighting ensued. It wasn't nearly as severe as the civil war of before, but it threatened the livelihood of many people. They didn't want to change and were happy where they were. After a long fight the three finally came to a compromise under the party that wanted little change. The Dumpsters could still grow yet could not rise in public rank
    Added 09.03.09

9.2 Fixing the Dump

One day the Moderator Belladonna looked upon her charge, the lands trusted unto her, the more relaxed regions of .us that was in essence, separate from the rest. She thought of these lands from times long passed. The times before her, and the times of her youth and saw that something had changed. There were fewer people than before and the things that happened in were small. It was generally an uninteresting place that few visited and even fewer lived in. Belladonna wished to bring life to the dump again. Perhaps a name change to encourage new people to move in, and projects to liven up the dump. She asked the people, and saw that they noticed it too. It was generally boring place. Bella acted, however, the fate of the lands cannot be truly controlled, only influenced. Her efforts did have an effect. One that brought a few more people, and more travelers increasing the prosperity of the land.
    Added 11.09.09

10.1 Stepping Down and Stepping to the Plate
    One day, with little notice to the people, some heads of leadership disappeared. Lurk and Woden, had gone from the eyes of the people, and retired to a peaceful life amongst the rest of us. But our leader, Fighter, acted with reassuring speed, replacing them with new people. One of these was the ever popular Bella, who's supporters campaigned in her favor. She long wielded a ban hammer, however, now it's even more powerful, bursting with such strength that this historian is surprised she hasn't hurt herself.
    Added 4.05.10

10.2 More Than Just Rainbows?
    When the usual day to day goings-on of the nation, fights in the embassies or what not, go interrupted for too long people get bored. Not content by the peace that lives in the forums they cause trouble or make new movements. But out of the mess of the dump came something the lands hadn't seen before. This is hard for the nation had seen much. From more on our soil or revolutions and civil wars. From tragedy to the greatest of golden ages. But this was different. It wasn't a plague, to some... Homosexuality. It started, oddly, when a man and a woman started to flirt. Then it grew like wild fire and the dump was consumed in it. Converting some to there side, painting buildings in their fashion and leaving no area untouched in the Dump. Leave some to wonder if there were ulterior motives.... But then it was revealed that half of them were not really homosexual and were simply having fun. To quote one bystander, "It's pretty gay"
    Added 8.14.10

(Hey Guys! this is a new post so you can give me rep for the Histories all over again! Hurray!)
    Last edited by JeffSpade; 08-14-2010 at 10:34 PM.
    Every now and then I re-read a post I made and think, "My Kentucky is showing through"

-JeffSpade

Missed that.

And should you include a link to the original post?
    I'm very low on time, expect extended inactivity. But expect me to still retain many of my traits should I return.

I welcome fellow knowledge seekers with open arms, be it that they seek singular knowledge, or all fields, may our differences but strengthen our knowledge further.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulbourne View Post
    Missed that.

And should you include a link to the original post?
    I was going to be relised I could pull two wquotes from different areas at the same time ill do it now though.

-JeffSpade

Banned.

Include the rise of the new spammers.

just what i was thinking, Jom.

Important people (excluding the ever-important mods) would be Roran, Jacana, Effervescent (having a 60+ page battle over her makes her somewhat important, right?), and maybe metro.

put something about the rise of the new mods too.
    Back despite popular demand, its RockGod27!!!!

Mine also includes borderlands reports too...anything big happening/happened ingame besides PH?
    I'm very low on time, expect extended inactivity. But expect me to still retain many of my traits should I return.

I welcome fellow knowledge seekers with open arms, be it that they seek singular knowledge, or all fields, may our differences but strengthen our knowledge further.

Hey, maybe this should be stickied. So all can read of the histories of .us forums.

-JeffSpade

I just realised something. I missed the fall of the golden age. it happened during my 2 week break from the forums in march.

when i came back, theo left, and the golden age was over.

maybe you should put in a side story about Hindill or someone like that.
    Back despite popular demand, its RockGod27!!!!

1. I'm not in this
    2. I was in 2.1 PLZKTHX

And the turks were FUNNY I loved their pics

I'm the beginning and the fall!

Quote Originally Posted by Lordy View Post
    I'm the beginning and the fall!
    its all your fault!

-JeffSpade

Quote Originally Posted by Axtrix View Post
    its all your fault!
    It does seem true. Every time I'm here, theres chaos. Brb, I'll go kill myself. Let me know if the situation improves.

Haha, I wonder if Axtrix doesn't like me.

Or he just doesn't like accurate history.

Quote Originally Posted by Narodnik View Post
    Haha, I wonder if Axtrix doesn't like me.

Or he just doesn't like accurate history.
    Im sorry, but there are so man notable names that I didnt get them all. Yours is notable. And I love history. Whats not accuate about it?
    Last edited by JeffSpade; 06-04-2008 at 06:59 AM.

-JeffSpade

Quote Originally Posted by Axtrix View Post
    Im sorry, but there are so man notable names that I didnt get them all. Yours is notable. And I love history. Whats not accuate about it?
    Convenient edit, to add me after my post.

And honestly, why isn't Stargate there?

Sorry, I'm against the whole thing - as a firm believer of everyone playing a role, I feel this idea is short-sighted and impracticable. Not only that, it's just encouraging a "fall"

Convenient edit, to add me after my post.

And honestly, why isn't Stargate there?

Sorry, I'm against the whole thing - as a firm believer of everyone playing a role, I feel this idea is short-sighted and impracticable. Not only that, it's just encouraging a "fall"
    Well, there were notable names from the ages. ill take it out. your right.

-JeffSpade

You can do what you want - it's a forum, that's the joy of it.

I was just giving my thoughts - I am but one member of this place. You should do what you want.

This seems a little shallow. A lot of essential people got out (Stargate, etc.), and a lot of noobs got put in it (Myself, Janaca, Metropolis) that didn't affect the development much.

And I don't see the forum crumbling. Theo wasn't entirely irreplaceable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    OMG, Wodey found a woman who agrees with him. He must be right, cos all women are always right all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    This seems a little shallow. A lot of essential people got out (Stargate, etc.), and a lot of noobs got put in it (Myself, Janaca, Metropolis) that didn't affect the development much.

And I don't see the forum crumbling. Theo wasn't entirely irreplaceable.
    I took out the notable names. And the fall of theo isnt was the forums are going down. Things just happen. the Forums hit their Golden Age and it has ended. If i am correct the forum should wobble around at its current population for the next long while.

-JeffSpade

Riiiight.

Members joined for the following months (there is slight variation, this is based on my timezone, overall it should have very little impact on the total figure) [numbers are user number that joined on that date]
    Month of June (thus far): 22364-22747
    Month of May: 19519-22363
    Month of April: 16833-19518
    Month of March: 13856-16832
    Month of February: 11579-13855
    Month of January: 9868-11578

And we'll stop it there, go back further if you wish.

So on totals, we've got:
    June = 384
    May = 2845
    April = 2686
    March = 2976
    February = 2276
    January = 1711

On the daily average we then have
    June* = 102.4
    May = 91.774
    April = 89.533
    March = 96
    Feb = 78.483
    Jan = 55.194
    *For my time (where I'm calculating this from) June has currently had 3.75 days (6:00PM here)

So as you can see, we've had a steady rise since April (after the drop from March's abnormally high figure). That looks set to continue into June, though it is rather early.

To further explain the figures, s1 restarted on 20th Feb, encouraging the high figure leading into March - and keep in mind the majority of new players begin on s1 and, with the new date coinciding, it means that more people are likely to stay and then post on the forums, rather than be destroyed, frustrated and leave.

~~~

Axtrix, you say you love your history. Then as a historian, you should know you need facts to back up your hypothesis. You claim the Golden Age has ended - I would like to see your supported arguments to prove that. Until then, I'll continue believing that the forums are not dying.

it's just a change of golden ages.

you know?

Hmm...

Perhaps he refers to the Golden Ages in terms of epic posters, moderators, threads, and content, instead of just registered members.

I can see a definite drop in thread quality now that summer vacation is upon us and the kids/spammers have more time to play and post whatever they like regardless of forum rules (all I'm going to say is...8 people on my ban list in one day).

There's more to a message board than the amount of people that read and use it.
    Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi loqui debuit ac potuit.

[7:32 AM] Jason (Al Bundy raidslave): Who the **** loses an arti to 18 phalanx
    [7:32 AM] Old Timer US1: The same faction that loses one to 66 legos

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands

Ugh, get over this nostalgia about how the forums used to be. People come and go, it's just like real life, just slightly sped up. Accept that and stop making the newbies sad that they didn't see 'The Golden Age' as that is not in the view of everyone. Taranis might see the Golden Age as the short time he was here before I joined.
    End.

See, now just when I was thinking it wasn't all over... davey appears, like some harbinger of doom.

Lurk, how do you see the drop in quality if you've only just signed up?

Anyway, I do realise there is more to it - I think this thread is an example of the drop in quality

Lurk, how do you see the drop in quality if you've only just signed up?
    Very, very simple. See my username? I have been lurking for some time now. Also, I can go back and see old threads just like anyone else. It's not hard to track threads through time and compare them to recent ones.
    Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi loqui debuit ac potuit.

[7:32 AM] Jason (Al Bundy raidslave): Who the **** loses an arti to 18 phalanx
    [7:32 AM] Old Timer US1: The same faction that loses one to 66 legos

Ouch, I pity you if you're going back and reading them

Quote Originally Posted by RockGod27 View Post
    maybe you should put in a side story about Hindill or someone like that.
    That'll get this thread stickied for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Nega Imperian View Post
    I dont like obama he reminds me of a comcast commercial

Lurk is correct. The Golden Age I was refering to was the time of powerful Mods, spam and where no matter what time where was always 17+ people looking at the dump.

Now that that number a dwindle down is why I put population drop. Ill reword it to fit the facts.
    Last edited by JeffSpade; 06-04-2008 at 03:12 PM.

-JeffSpade

Let me ask you this, how much of this new population has over 10 posts compared to total of new members?

Fro Rly? Fro Rly? Fro Rly? Fro Rly? Fro Rly? Fro Rly?

You should include the controversial, "Should I Sue Gamestop?" Thread
    Just visiting :] playing SC2 and DC:UO
    Add me if you'd like: Dusty.578 War - Public Enemies

Maybe one day someone will mention my name...

/gleeful thinking

All Hail Nichts!! Jester of Spam!!!

Banned.

Nichts is a lord of spam.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTroll View Post
    You should include the controversial, "Should I Sue Gamestop?" Thread
    controversial... and epic beyond compare... that was like the day i joined or something...
    s2 r2 BAM NE - STORMRIDERS

s2r3 - Farmboy
    I support the return of rep comments
    Last edited by Belladonna; Today at 10:20 AM.. Reason: Still not amused (ps - I was)

NOO!!! You are unleashing the necromancer again...ONCE A WEEK IS ENOUGH YOU CRAZY PEOPLE!!!

I suggest you go bring it back before he crushes all resistance with his great ability to distract the others while sneaking forward to gain control...

Is everyone happy with the Histories current state?

-JeffSpade

I loved that bit about the turkist invasion! I almost forgot about that. You could include the futile counter-attack we launched back onto the .tr server. Actually don't, the way it is right now is less embarrassing, haha. Ugh, what a frustrating night.

Quote Originally Posted by Joafu View Post
    I loved that bit about the turkist invasion! I almost forgot about that. You could include the futile counter-attack we launched back onto the .tr server. Actually don't, the way it is right now is less embarrassing, haha. Ugh, what a frustrating night.
    Wow, Joafu. I havent seen one of your posts in months! Where have you been? I knew that we fought here on .us but some went to .tr? I wouldnt put it past us. Well, they must have deleted all posts on that before I read 'em

-JeffSpade

i donno how bad the turkish invasion was...but i do remember when it first started they were on s1.us

all they were, were a huge farm alliance.