Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Xís Aggressive Gaul Guide

Default Mr. Xís Aggressive Gaul Guide

Mr. Xís Aggressive Gaul Guide

This guide is for playerís who have a good understanding of the game, and this is the way I have played as gaul on a many servers with great success. Iím not saying this is the best guide you will find, and it may be completely different to many other top players, but itís how Iíve consistently been a top 100 player on many servers including Germany, Italy, U.S. and .com. First of all you need a great understanding of teutons style of play, it will help a lot if youíre an aggressive teuton player, as a gaul these are youíre biggest rival and you will need to know exactly how they work. Iím an aggressive teuton at heart but play gaul because of one unit the almighty Theutates Thunder (TT), having these early will strike fear into the hearts of teutons without spears and own romanís with no walls and high cost troops.

Iíll just go into a little more details about these guys to get everyone into the mindset that these guys are macemen for gaulís only stronger and faster and should be treated just like kamikaze macemen. Iíve heard people say that these guys are expensive early on because they take over 14 successful raids to pay for themselves and the maceman takes a little over 4 successful raids. However, what you forgetting is that they are nearly 3 times faster so by the time the maceman is on his 5th raid for profit, the TT will be close to his 14th. So really they arenít that expensive after all. Travian has a lot to do with TIME and soooo often people forget this, Iíll show more examples of this throughout this guide. Back onto the TT, Once you finally get these guys into production you can match the growth of teutonís, they are the best raiders in the game by making more res per hr than any other unit but suck at defense so donít keep these guys at home keep them out raiding continuously. While your TT's are just sitting there they are also loosing you recourses each TT can make at least 50 res per hr with bad farming if you have 100 thatís 5000 res per hr minimum wasted, This is why you can benefit greatly as a dual and if you want to be a top 20 gaul you need to have your account as close you can to 24/7 active. For this guide to be really successful it will require you to be very active, most of the time Iíve used this strategy playing a dual account.

Gaul Troops
    Phalanx
    Core of the Gaulís defense they dominate early game defense being the cheapest defense units to build eventually being phased out in defense by roman praetís later on in the game. Suck at attack but unfortunately need to be used for raiding at startup before TTís,
    Swordsman
    Most powerful infantry of Gaulís, 5 attack points more than teuton axeís but 5 points less than roman impís however they build a lot faster than impís, in the time it takes to build 3 impís a gaul can build 4 swords. Faster production will matter late game with your hammer when you have both level 20 barracks and level 20 great barracks queued for the next 24hrs. also great for attacking teutons with their poor infantry defense.
    Pathfinder
    Faster than the roman and teuton scout but 2 wheat consumption sucks, if possible do a trade with a teuton to get their 1 wheat scout to defend your village.
    Theutates Thunder
    No 1 raider. Without this unit gaulís would be nothing, they are responsible for a lot of your income you can never have enough of these, raid everywhere get a tournament square and raid the quadrant, a swarm of these can put even the most experienced player in a state of panic.
    Druidrider
    Combine these with Phalanx for defense. Their speed makeís them great for fast defense for allies, way better than Paladin defense wise.
    Haeduan
    Strong cavalry unit, not as strong as TKís but not far off, use these in your hammer with swords donít fall into the trap of using TTís for your main hammer as I have seen many people do this, you can build these in around the same time as a TT and youíve got 50 more attack points. Their strong cavalry defense means you shouldnít have many gaulís hitting you with a fast attack of TTís. This also makes them great for fast defense of allies.
    Ram
    Weakest attack power of all the tribes this doesnít mean a lot because you donít attack with only ramís, itís always accompanied with troops. What this does mean though is you should never use gaulís to build a WW Wall Destroyer because less of them will get through.
    Trebuchet
    Gaul catapultís have great attack points over teutons makes gaul great for building a WW Hammer more about this later.
    Cheiftan
    Cost more than other tribes chiefs and is less effective in lowering loyalty but if cost is an issue then you shouldnít be building them yet, moveís faster than other chiefs but doesnít outweigh the higher cost and lower effectiveness in loyalty.
    Settler
    Cheaper than other settler unitís but not enough to make much of a difference

Gaulís are the masters of speed and are the most balanced tribe, they arenít the best defenders overall or the best attackerís overall but they can play either aggressive or defensive successfully.

Starting your new Gaul account
    As a gaul I like to start my account the day it begins an I wait about an hour, this is so I can be a bit away from the centre of the map, your farming grounds will eventually be further away so being as far out as possible will help. Your starting position is very important but because youíve started so early a lot of it will be left up to chance, what you wanít is a lot of romanís a few tuetons, and not many gaulís donít worry about croppers at this stage. But a few oasis in your area wouldnít hurt, once you are happy with the area you can begin.
    Note
    Timelineís here are for normal speed unless stated adjust accordingly for speed

Days 1-3 while in BP
    This is the easy part just follow the quest, using gold for the production bonuses will make it a bit quicker, when you get up to the quest where your waiting for the rat to arrive upgrade more fields to 1 as you will have to do this later on, choose the military option but donít do the final quest telling you to upgrade all field to 2 instead build more phalanx

Days out of BP
    As a gaul the very first thing you want are TTís and the journey to get them will be very time consuming and tedious, here is the best way Iíve found to get them if youíre playing a dual you should be aiming to get these 6-7 days after the start of a normal speed server. Raid, raid, raid with phalanx, donít build any fields they are useless hereís why.
    Raising a wheat field from level 1 to level 2 will cost 415 recourses for a gain of 4 res per hr
    Training a phalanx will cost 315 recourses and will make about 20 res per hr (assuming that the average raid is roughly a 90min return trip)
    So even though phalanx are shocking as raiders they still bring in 5x more res than fields. Because or their poor attack points you donít want to encounter troops so raid inactiveís with a pop under 9 so you can be sure there are no troops or rats, the best way Iíve found is to send them on a constant loop to all the inactiveís 3 at a time this will stop teutons raiding them, if a teuton keeps getting minimal bounty from an inactive they usually give up. Thatís probably not going to be enough to get you your TTís fast. Next have a look at all the teutons in your area and look up their offensive ratting if they have a few attack points you can be sure they are out raiding thatís a good thing it means they most likely have killed the rats and troops at the romanís villages. Now you can put romans on your raiding list but donít hit them as often as the inactiveís you donít want them deleting. If youíre in an alliance this early keep an eye on the attack logs at what the teutons are raiding usually they donít mind you raiding their farms since you are hardly taking anything anyway. Only build enough phalanx as you need to get your TTís a fast as possible you donít want an army of phalanx for raiding and keep them on the move all the time send them on long raids when you need to sleep. Early on you want to get your marketplace built so you can use NPC merchant to redistribute you res, and once that is built then build an embassy this is not for the purpose of joining an alliance yet this is for the 5CP it makes each day, I would wait till you get a 2nd village then join an alliance in the top 10.

If a teuton comes to visit youíre village donít defend the attack just make sure he goes home empty handed, you only need to have your cranny at a level where you can protect yourself. If he continues coming back over and over and getting nothing bite your tongue and get ready for the day you turn the tide with your TTís, As much as you will want to research and build swords to fight back stick with the TT plan it will be much more satisfying.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 07-26-2008 at 10:07 AM.

Default Mr. Xís Aggressive Gaul Guide Part 2

TTís have arrived
    The day you get your first TTís into production will be very satisfying and time to gain ground on those teutons, continue raiding with phalanx and TTís till you have enough TTís, once you have around 10 TTís research scouts and build a heroís mansion and make a TT hero more about this later. If you are being harassed by a teuton youíve finally got the power now to stick it to him hereís how to do it.
    Build a trapper to about level 3 with 30 traps wait for that teuton to arrive make sure to have just a few phalanx not too many itís pointless defending an army of 200, when he comes trap his troops and he will then send more troops to free them wait for 90 secs (so they attack isnít canceled) and release the imprisoned troops. Then 1 second after youíve released them send your TT hero and a few TTís (not all of them incase he has strong defense) and 1 phalanx to slow them all down. If all goes well he will see the attack and assume itís an army of phalanx hopefully he will bring in more macemen to defend. Then BOOM you hit him with your TTís wipeout all the released maceís and hopefully more, meanwhile back at your village you capture more maceís release them and chase them home make sure your TTís hit 1 sec after they land back at his home. Then raid him every few minuteís or so with 5 TTís for the next hr until you start losing them to spears (this is not so much for recourses itís to wipe out their army and demoralize them). By using this technique on one server I was able to wipe out 300 macemen using only 30 TTís that I had at the time, a few days later the account was deleted. If you want to take out more teutons always send 1 phalanx with TTís for the first attack they often try to defend the attack with maceís not knowing itís TTís, the earlier you have TTís the better this works they donít expect TTís for a few weeks into the server.

Second Village
    To get you 2nd village you need 2000CP on normal speed so focus on getting a town hall built and throwing your 1st party. Slowly build up your TTís till you have around 150-200 and 20-30 scouts while you are doing this donít waste you time on building recourse fields past level 2, and no wheat unless itís required, with your wheat you should be running negative wheat if your not in negative wheat your doing it wrong and wasting time when you could be working to your 2nd village. By now if youíve made good progress you will dominate your 13x13 and if youíve got a 24/7 account there will only be a few teutons with 2nd villages and you will only be 3-4 days behind them. As soon as your 1st party stops throw another keep this cycle of endless partyís going continuously you can never have enough CP, If you are receiving incoming attacks chase them home with your TTís the second after they return to their village and keep farming them from then on till they put up some decent defense. Donít research swords just yet unless you are under heavy fire from a teuton with spears in defense in that case you may need to skip the second village and go for cats which is a major pain to need to do this in your spawn village. Once your parties are taken care of any your settlers are in training you need to decide what type of gaul player you want to be here are some options

Defense Gaul
    Because of the cheap defense of phalanx and the fact that they have the best mobile defense, having a nominated defense player in an alliance can be extremely useful to protect members of your alliance especially at war. Being ahead of most of the players on the server you would be perfect to be the nominated defense coordinator, you can expect many recourse drives from your alliance to build troops and you will have a massive amount of defense to take down any hammer. Basically if your in a top alliance youíre almost unstoppable, however youíre going to need your account close to 24/7 an have youíre eyes glued to the alliance attack page and lots and lots of communication with everyone.

WW hammer builder
    This is for the gaul that wants to build a massive offensive hammer for the only purpose of damaging a WW village for doing this you will defiantly want a 15c capital with at least 125% wheat oasis and lots of iron and clay feeders. As said earlier donít build a WW wall destroyer gaul rams are too weak, leave that to the teutons. If you build your empire far away from other players you wonít need much defense and you can focus more on hammer production, great barracks and great stable in your hammer production village are a must along with tournament square and lots of granaries, donít let anyone know the size of your hammer or let anyone know which village its being built in, if they know your enemyís will do all they can to conquer it. This is what a gaul WW hammer can look like on speed
    100k Ė Swordsman
    40k Ė Haeduan
    6-8k Ė Trebuchet
    These numbers are small when compared to the defense of a WW village. When it comes time to attack the WW village you shouldnít target the WW when itís at a high level they wonít do much damage instead target the Great warehouse it will hurt them more.

Aggressive Gaul
    This is for the gaul thatís not interested in playing defense, and not interested in moving out into the boonies and simming to build an almighty hammer for end game, this is for someone that wants to cause trouble and fight in battles all server long. This is how I play as gaul and I will continue the guide from here.
    Ok so your settlers are ready and youíve got over 2000CP you need to decide what your 2nd village will be and where. The area I would settle my next village would be a bit farther away from the centre of the map where all the new players are and the farming grounds are much better but not too far away from my spawn village 20 squares maybe but no more than that. If I were playing my account alone my 2nd village would be a 5clay then a 15c but as a 24/7 account my next village would be a 15c with at least 50% wheat, this village will be primarily for raiding and I like to call it my raiding hive it will eventually be filled with a swarm of TTís. The first thing I do when I settle a new village is to build a townhall and throw a small party A.S.A.P. However in this case itís more important to get a stable and start producing TTís, once you have a few TTís then build some swords, Now itís time for the townhall and parties, eventually this village will serve as a secondary hammer using TTís, swords and cats. When your 15c is bringing in recourses go back to your spawn village and upgrade the fields. Always make sure youíre parties are going non stop the next CP target will be 8000, while waiting to get there keep building swords and TTís and upgrading fields and terrorizing the neighborhood, before too long youíre ready for the 3rd village for me itís a 5clay possibly for building defense in the future but for now itís mainly because building upgrades need a lot of clay. Then at some stage I get another 15c with at least 75% oasis for my capital to begin my hammer production. Hereís what my village layout would look like for the next few villages in no particular order

5clay - defense, building upgrade and feeders (mainly for Cats)
    15c capital for hammer storage
    4x4x4x6 - pathfinderís excess iron goes to hammer production village
    5iron Ė hammer feeders
    9c Ė house excess troops and feeders

From here you can take it however you like this is my normal way of play as a gaul and it works very well for me, keep those parties going and when resources become less of an issue throw big parties. After youíve settled 8-10 villages conquer the rest.

Hero choice
    I referred to this earlier and for me itís a no brainier itís must be a TT over the Haeduen every time. Firstly for the speed factor and secondly itís for the cheaper and quicker for revival and for me this is good because my hero dies every now and then. Hereís the way I distribute my hero points
    Level 0 Ė 5 points offence then when it takes a hit redistribute to 5 on regen then back to 5 offence for the next use
    Level 1 Ė 5 offence and 5 regen
    From there I only take offence up to 15 then all points then go to the offensive bonus till it hit 20% then itís all points to defensive bonus till 20%

Ok so youíve followed the guide and youíre now a top 100 player. Your now ahead of the pack but donít for a second think youíre up there with the elite all this sayís is that you know the game and the four principals for success in travian which are
    1 Farming
    2 Parties
    3 Gold
    4 Highly Active
    The way I see it if youíre still fairly new to the game youíre skill level is possibly intermediate, there are many top 100 players in this skill level and you can tell who they are by their lack of knowledge on advanced moves and their styles of play.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 07-26-2008 at 10:19 AM.

Default Mr. Xís Aggressive Gaul Guide Part 3

Advanced Tips

Spies
    As much as everyone claims they hate spies this is a key part of the game to be a successful alliance you need spies, here are the 3 main types of spies in travian
    1 Local spy Ė this is the player that reports information to you on whatís going on in you local area they can be anyone, example a nearby player (not in your alliance) informs you that the enemy is attacking him.
    2 Insider Spy Ė this is the player that is in the enemy alliance and informs your alliance about any news or attack plans in the alliance.
    3 Double Spy Ė this is the player that is in the enemy alliance and gives false information to your alliance. These players are very shady and many timeís their loyalty is with nobody they only want to cause trouble. Luckily these players can be found out easily the more insider spies you have the easier a double spy can be found.
    Use them all to your advantage and as much as you want to destroy the double spy donít do it, they can be very useful. Spies generally should only share communication one way from them to you with the exception of the double spy.

Fakes
    Fakes are very useful and come in many forms here are some
    First type of fake is done by sending simultaneous attackís to many of the players villages to mask what village has a real attack. Example send a train of fake attackís to 2 villages and a real attack to one, all attackís to hit at the same times, this is done so the player does not know what village to defend.
    Second type of fakeís are used to mask which wave has the clearing wave these type of attackís can look like this
    1st wave Ė fake
    2nd wave Ė fake
    3rd wave Ė fake
    4th wave Ė Clearing wave
    5trh wave Ė Catapultís
    6th wave Ė Catapultís
    This is done so that the player cannot time defense to land in between waveís to avoid the clearing wave and take out catapults. When using this method you need to change the order regularly so other players donít adapt, another order looks like this Ė fake, clearing wave, cats, cats, fake, fake.
    Third type of fake is more a psychological tactic. Send a single scout to all of the playerís villageís to hit at the same time. It wonít take them long to realize whatís going on, to them it will appear as though you have a spy in their alliance, not only will they think they are going to be under attack but they will be on the hunt for a spy that may or may not exist.

Defense Timing
    When you have incoming attacks and youíve verified they are catapults sometimes the best option available is to dodge the clearing wave and take out the catapults to do this you need to time your defense to arrive in between wave 1 and 2. However, if the player attacking is experienced then they most likely will be using fakeís to counteract your defense timing if this is the case time defense to arrive between every wave.

Psychological Tactics
    As this is a game played by real people you can psyche out your opponents and get them to do thingís that they normally wouldnít do, hereís one quick way you can exploit a certain type of player. This type of player is arrogant, aggressive and thinks they are unstoppable, common signs of this player are seen in the forums usually gloating about how good they and their alliance are, and have a fiery temper (often teenagers but not always). So hereís a method Iíve seen used a few times to destroy their hammer.
    Part 1 make sure all alliance memberís that are close to the arrogant player are very well defended with reins.
    Part 2 Send a train of fakeís from a large member of your alliance to the target player have closer players send cat fakes to him also. Make sure all players time the fakeís as close as you can to a designated time.
    All these attacks that are on the way to his village will hopefully irritate him soo much that in his anger he will send out his hammer to a near alliance member without too much thought involved.
    Part 3 Send reins to the players that are under attack by your target.
    Part 4 Hammer destroyed, arrogant player demoralized.

So there you have a brief Gaul guide and a few advanced tips to help you in the game if you still want some more help read Nailzzís Guide of All Guides: Teuton this is the best guide out there. In fact I strongly encourage you to read it and be on the look out for any teutons that seem to be following Nailzzís guide throughout the game, if they seem to be following this guide hit them hard thereís a good chance theyíre n00bs.

Please excuse any mistakes in my spelling or grammar Iím not that good at English. Feel free to ask about any other parts of this guide that you want extended as I only covered things briefly.
    Last edited by Mr. X; 07-26-2008 at 10:21 AM.

Thumbs up

I LOVE YOU!

EDIT:not gay,also chuck would like to show his love!

MODS I REQUEST A STICKIE!!
    Last edited by hobozach; 07-26-2008 at 08:31 AM.
    s7-hoboman of gemini
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertySkies View Post
    when the teutons go to sleep, and stupidly leave their cute little macemen at home, with no crannies cause they are too good for those, my thunder ponies will come and let you know just how wrong you are. k bud?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Oh, so the ones that are all stiff and hidden at the bottom of your sock drawer weren't abused?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Colbert
    Our our Railroads safe or should we be spending mre on anti-hobo technology?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. X View Post

Back onto the TT, Once you finally get these guys into production you can match the growth of teutonís, they are the best raiders in the game by making more res per hr than any other unit but suck at defense so donít keep these guys at home keep them out raiding continuously, while they are just sitting there they are also loosing you recourses each TT can make at least 50 res per hr with bad farming if you have 100 thatís 5000 res per hr minimum wasted, thatís why you can benefit greatly as a dual and If you want to be a top 20 gaul you need to have your account as close you can to 24/7 active.
    I vote no sticky unless things like this are fixed. This whole quote is one sentence! Come on now, you don't have to have perfect grammar, but you can try harder than that.

In Australia, which is why you're always on when I'm not.

Last edited by ruby.red.roses; 07-27-2008 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Mods can't use a million smilies. >.<
    Travian Compass
    +x,+y=NE. +x,-y=SE. -x,-y=SW. -x,+y=NW.
    The original compass design has been cancelled to allow space.
    The Attack of Counter Attacks (With refined Rules)!
    To find recent repping go to the User CP menu up the top.
    Don't forget to post intelligently so I can give you reputation and you can become a Tradesperson and give me reputation.
    The Sorcerer of Travian!
    The Reputation Rank System.

Quote Originally Posted by HBomb View Post
    I vote no sticky unless things like this are fixed. This whole quote is one sentence! Come on now, you don't have to have perfect grammar, but you can try harder than that.
    Fixed.

A bit choppy. If you word several things better and make them easier to understand, it can be a decent guide. Also, i don't like how you would waste gold on getting 2 more of each res in the beginning.
    Vote renegade 4 mod!!!
    I PROMISEZ 2 BANZOR PPL!

Renegade S2

Banned.

I like!

Too much luck involved with phalanx raiding. Otherwise, it's a decent guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    A bit choppy. If you word several things better and make them easier to understand, it can be a decent guide. Also, i don't like how you would waste gold on getting 2 more of each res in the beginning.
    Wow, I was expecting a much harsher review from you Renegade, not going soft are you? I know this guide is far from perfect, i am my own harshest critic and any help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Nice View Post
    Sure there's risk involved in phalanx raiding but the risk is calculated and the rewards of having a high pop roman as a farm outway the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Nice View Post
    Let me add a little guide to phalanx raiding:

To raid with phalanx, only attack players with too little pop to have any troops. Period. 1 lego will kill 2-3 phalanx no matter how many you have.

If you've never attacked someone, use 2 phalanx to test raid them for troops until you can get scouts. I recommend you only raid romans with higher pop until you get scouts.

There is a myth about never raiding guals; this is stupid. Once you have scouts you should be able to check them out-if you can storm their traps then do so. 40-50 is the max you'll need on day 1, new players won't have many traps. If you are active you can easily get 100 phalanx in 12 hours with horrible positioning.

~Devil Chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    OMG, Wodey found a woman who agrees with him. He must be right, cos all women are always right all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let me add a little guide to phalanx raiding:

To raid with phalanx, only attack players with too little pop to have any troops. Period. 1 lego will kill 2-3 phalanx no matter how many you have.

If you've never attacked someone, use 2 phalanx to test raid them for troops until you can get scouts. I recommend you only raid romans with higher pop until you get scouts.

There is a myth about never raiding guals; this is stupid. Once you have scouts you should be able to check them out-if you can storm their traps then do so. 40-50 is the max you'll need on day 1, new players won't have many traps. If you are active you can easily get 100 phalanx in 12 hours with horrible positioning.

~Devil Chicken
    Isn't it 3 phalanxes?
    Vote renegade 4 mod!!!
    I PROMISEZ 2 BANZOR PPL!

Renegade S2

Two is enough to hold out against the natural defense of a village.

Quote Originally Posted by ruby.red.roses View Post
    *dumbstruck*

Vote renegade 4 mod!!!
    I PROMISEZ 2 BANZOR PPL!

Renegade S2

Banned.

Default Nice

Nice

Most guides need to adapt to the new quests system though now for best results...i should get on that too.

*dumbstruck*

Then I want my original third S1 phalanx back, with interest! My first attack as a newb was with one. Lost him of course. Later read about natural defenses, saying you need at least two troops, so sent two - and lost one. It was a 2 pop village, and it's not likely they built a wall before building anything that adds pop.
    I used to think Senior Members were more likely to know what they are talking about. Then I became one.
    Does anyone remember the seniority system?

well snapple walls do look cool :P

The problem with this guide is that you have to upgrade your resource fields in the new quest system. You get absolutely no bonus wheat/clay/etc from building a cranny. Only from upgrading fields and stuff.

This may have worked on the old servers but with the new quest system you are going to run into a lot of problems with the entire raiding from day 1 style.

Furthermore to get gold you have to do these quests. Really, posting this guide right before the new server wasn't so smart 0.o

Tradesperson

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    Then I want my original third S1 phalanx back, with interest! My first attack as a newb was with one. Lost him of course. Later read about natural defenses, saying you need at least two troops, so sent two - and lost one. It was a 2 pop village, and it's not likely they built a wall before building anything that adds pop.
    How big were you? If you were 50-60+ pop, you will lose more troops attacking someone that small, than if you are 30ish. I have raided a lot with only 2 troops. And have yet to lose one unless I run into a rat, or others troops. Of course, as soon as I could afford my 3rd, I was using 3. Due to the small amount of resources Phalanx hold, sending twice as many as you would as a Teut, or another 50% more than you would as a Roman helps as well.

But by the time you get up to around 30-40 Phalanx, you should have found some safe farms, and can just focus on those until you get TT's. Unless you are horribly unlucky in your starting spot, or have extremely bad luck/ attack the wrong person and lose far too many of your own units.

Raiding Gauls with over 30 pop is not usually a great idea, unless you send over 20 troops, on attack not raid, and even then, better hope you don't catch them with an army at home.

As a gaul I like to start my account the day it begins an I wait about an hour, this is so I can be a bit away from the centre of the map...

I'm curious about initial village placement. Is there a way to start near a friend if you are both registering new accounts?

Tradesperson

To start close to someone else register at the same time, and pick the same quadrant then cross your fingers. Although being about 8 squares away from each other or so might not be too bad, even 14 isn't a long trip. It gives you both more space for people to farm as well, so your not drawing from the same pool.

A little bit of editing and it could be on its way to a stickie.

bump
    s7-hoboman of gemini
    when the teutons go to sleep, and stupidly leave their cute little macemen at home, with no crannies cause they are too good for those, my thunder ponies will come and let you know just how wrong you are. k bud?
    Oh, so the ones that are all stiff and hidden at the bottom of your sock drawer weren't abused?

one word mr x.

paragraphing.

otherwise, good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
    I was going to find a pic for this, but I had to stop because in the process my innocence was destroyed when I searched google images for "bear with hammer" and forgot to turn safesearch back on
    so full of win

Default Teuton Your Own Horn

" . . . Raid, raid, raid with phalanx, donít build any fields they are useless hereís why.
    Raising a wheat field from level 1 to level 2 will cost 415 recourses for a gain of 4 res per hr

Training a phalanx will cost 315 recourses and will make about 20 res per hr (assuming that the average raid is roughly a 90min return trip)

So even though phalanx are shocking as raiders they still bring in 5x more res than fields. Because or their poor attack points you donít want to encounter troops so raid inactiveís with a pop under 9 so you can be sure there are no troops or rats . . ."
    This isn't a guide for true Gauls. This is a guide to "raid, raid, raid." If you want to sneak around the neighborhood hiding from the real troops and raiding abandoned farms for scraps like a dog, then you're playing as a Teuton -- only disguised in the Gallic tradition.

You dignify neither tribe.

You instruct not to bother building your own wheat fields and instead to depend on your Phalanx to feed your village. In other words, you're using soldiers to do the work of wheat crops. So when your fighting Phalanx fail -- and they will -- do you propose building wheat crops to take their place and do battle?

And Mr. X, I would say it's not so much about culture points -- as it is about CULTURE. The aggressively peaceful Gaul is naturally endowed with a cultural superiority which affords them the luxury of NOT having to become a 24/7 captive of the game. Your suggested guide is counter-intuitive, counter-culture and counter productive.

I think that this is a good guide, almost the same to how I usually play as Gauls. Problem is now its not *great* but still DOABLE to do some serious Phalanx raiding early game.

Until you get TT's

Good guide.

well so far in server 7 i have 20 phalanx and have only lost one to a rat and have gained 4982 res from raiding but i kinda agree that you need some wheat fields to break even. right now my wheat production is 2.
    s7-hoboman of gemini

Quote Originally Posted by Othello View Post
    This isn't a guide for true Gauls. This is a guide to "raid, raid, raid." If you want to sneak around the neighborhood hiding from the real troops and raiding abandoned farms for scraps like a dog, then you're playing as a Teuton -- only disguised in the Gallic tradition.

You instruct not to bother building your own wheat fields and instead to depend on your Phalanx to feed your village. In other words, you're using soldiers to do the work of wheat crops. So when your fighting Phalanx fail -- and they will -- do you propose building wheat crops to take their place and do battle?

And Mr. X, I would say it's not so much about culture points -- as it is about CULTURE. The aggressively peaceful Gaul is naturally endowed with a cultural superiority which affords them the luxury of NOT having to become a 24/7 captive of the game. Your suggested guide is counter-intuitive, counter-culture and counter productive.
    Noob much?
    Vote renegade 4 mod!!!
    I PROMISEZ 2 BANZOR PPL!

Renegade S2

Noob much?
    /agree

/agree
    It seems Renegade has a new apprentice.

Quote Originally Posted by conquerer7 View Post
    It seems Renegade has a new apprentice.
    I hope not...

Your first line should have read ďThis isnít a guide for n00b GaulsĒ because to me this is a guide for true Gaulís.

What youíre saying might make sense to a n00b but not to me. ďAggressively peacefulĒ Isnít that an oxymoron? If you keep playing this game long enough you will find there is no peacefulness in travian because itís a WAR game. One day you might even find out how much fun it is to catapult people just like you, and the joy of receiving the hate mail tops it off.

Default The Joy of Hate Mail

Your first line should have read ďThis isnít a guide for n00b GaulsĒ because to me this is a guide for true Gaulís.

What youíre saying might make sense to a n00b but not to me. ďAggressively peacefulĒ Isnít that an oxymoron? If you keep playing this game long enough you will find there is no peacefulness in travian because itís a WAR game. One day you might even find out how much fun it is to catapult people just like you, and the joy of receiving the hate mail tops it off.
    If a post is written as a guide . . . then the experienced writer can expect an inexperienced "newbie" to be reading it. Unless it's been written for pros and veterans, who else but a "newbie" would find it useful? Perhaps your intention was to establish to "oldies" (who don't need guidance) how to Raid, Raid, Raid like a Teuton but play as a Gaul -- but then the word "guide" is misleading.

There's no contradiction in terms in saying "aggressively peaceful." Some would argue that peace requires hard work and a mighty will.

Finding joy in hate mail strikes me as an oxymoron. If joy hate mail makes sense to you -- the paradox stands and you may well wish to share that bizarre truth with others. But it's an entirely different matter when attempting to translate your thoughts with clarity. (And this echoes back to the comments about proper use of grammar, paragraph lay out and so forth.)

You insist it's a WAR game, as though it's playing you and you have no choice but to scramble around 24/7 glued to the wars. If it's truly a WAR game then it's also true to say it's a PEACE game -- and that perspective is what demands a clarity of purpose. Regardless of the purpose, winning can only be realized within the structure and rules of the game. Using those rules to your advantage is the basis for any sound guide.

If the plan is to begin the game and "raid, raid, raid" -- why are you playing as a Gaul?

Those Phalanx may be fun raiders for someone bored and trying something "newbie," but an aggressive Gaul must be aggressive according to Gallic nature. The Phalanx aren't made for all that . . . right out of the gate. Deep, meaningful crannies and an agile trapper are unique to the Gaul and a guide to an aggressive Gaul would naturally include both.

The raids never happen. There's nothing to raid and nobody to fight. No casualties. No one to get mad at. No war. The enemy slogs home empty handed leaving you to aggressively gather your resources to train up the WARRIORS.

One day maybe you'll remember how satisfying it was to serve justice in your own little way to the corrupt you saw in your own little corner of the world -- and have memories of the joy in receiving the love mail that topped it all off.

Um. If Gauls were actually focusing on defense the game would be a lot less fun because some of the best guys I've fought against were Gauls. Just so you know.

If the plan is to begin the game and "raid, raid, raid" -- why are you playing as a Gaul?
    Please research TTs, then talk. Gauls have possibly the best raiding unit in the game with TTs and the easiest/quickest way to get to TTs is to raid with Phalanx.

As such, using an aggressive Gaul strategy you can be raiding with TTs within a week of starting the server, easy.

Default Time-Consuming and Tedious

It's worth noting that Mr. X writes "recourse" when, presumably, he means "resource." The mistake is instructive. SPELLCHECK is a readily available resource, but Mr. X apparently felt he had no recourse but to plow on raiding the language instead of using easily acquired tools.

Grammar, syntax, structure and spelling errors aside . . . here is Mr. X explaining his insights and reasoning. ("TT" here may actually stand for "time consuming and tedious" as he carefully instructs -- "don't build any fields!")

"As a gaul the very first thing you want are TTís and the journey to get them will be very time consuming and tedious, here is the best way Iíve found to get them if youíre playing a dual you should be aiming to get these 6-7 days after the start of a normal speed server. Raid, raid, raid with phalanx, donít build any fields they are useless hereís why.
    Training a phalanx will cost 315 recourses and will make about 20 res per hr (assuming that the average raid is roughly a 90min return trip)"
    No better at math than he is at spelling, Mr. X fails to take into account that other folks are playing the game too! A dead Phalanx doesn't make any "res per hr."

Mr. X actually goes on to pinpoint the problem with his own guide, when he notes that his strategy is "probably not going to be enough" to accomplish the stated goal of his guide.

"Because or their poor attack points you donít want to encounter troops so raid inactiveís with a pop under 9 so you can be sure there are no troops or rats, the best way Iíve found is to send them on a constant loop to all the inactiveís 3 at a time this will stop teutons raiding them, if a teuton keeps getting minimal bounty from an inactive they usually give up. Thatís probably not going to be enough to get you your TTís fast."
    So again -- this "guide" is counter-productive. It's never a good idea to begin moving forward by entering in to a "constant loop." It's counter-intuitive. But if that's the proposed strategy -- then begin as you mean to go on. Beginning such a strategy by opting to play as a Gaul makes no sense. It's counter to the inherent strengths of the Gaul.

As SUN TZU offers:

"Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

Ok...nice review?