Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: T's Guide for Romans

Good job T. That guide must've taken u a while to write.

Guest User Awaiting E-mail Confirmation User Awaiting E-mail Confirmation User Awaiting E-mail Confirmation User Awaiting E-mail Confirmation User Awaiting E-mail Confirmation User Awaiting E-mail Confirmation
    Unconfirmed E-mail

Default nice

good guide lol "if your tired....TOO BAD if i could be alot more active i would use this guide but i cant

If I had followed this guide I just might be able to shoot up to top 20 or higher. I'm currently considered a top Roman of one of the servers.

Excellent guide. The start off is almost the same as what I did. I just had no idea what to do past 1st village which slowed me down quite a bit. I claimed a cropper 2nd which also was a bad move.

Hi I have some questions:
    1.what do you build in new villages to maximize CP production without party's?
    2.how does your normal support village looks?Does it have Academy and Embassy for CP's?Is it having party's 24/7,small or big?
    3.How much per week would you consider is good(to raid) when you have:
    -20 legoes/1h barrier
    -5-10 EI with 1h barrier
    4.Do you make defensive or offensive roman account?I heard they own at defensive but never tried it,only did offensive and wasn't really great,since you need so much time to raise an army...
    A really good guide for romans,I used to go for 50 legos before even thinking of EI,now I see 20-25 is enough at start

Quote Originally Posted by NIDzA View Post
    Hi I have some questions:
    1.what do you build in new villages to maximize CP production without party's?
    2.how does your normal support village looks?Does it have Academy and Embassy for CP's?Is it having party's 24/7,small or big?
    3.How much per week would you consider is good(to raid) when you have:
    -20 legoes/1h barrier
    -5-10 EI with 1h barrier
    4.Do you make defensive or offensive roman account?I heard they own at defensive but never tried it,only did offensive and wasn't really great,since you need so much time to raise an army...
    A really good guide for romans,I used to go for 50 legos before even thinking of EI,now I see 20-25 is enough at start
    1. Accadamy, marketplace, embassy, trade office, high level resource fields, palace/residence
    2. All ^^^ and a town hall atleast level 10
    3. Not sure
    4. My roman accounts never make it past the first few weeks... But they have the best crop per attack point in imps so they should be offensive. If you're hammer is a noncapital village you can have barracks and great barracks to make troops faster.
    I dont need your stupid signature...

but ill take it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by omik View Post
    1. Accadamy, marketplace, embassy, trade office, high level resource fields, palace/residence
    2. All ^^^ and a town hall atleast level 10
    3. Not sure
    4. My roman accounts never make it past the first few weeks... But they have the best crop per attack point in imps so they should be offensive. If you're hammer is a noncapital village you can have barracks and great barracks to make troops faster.
    Thank you for responding

1.well actually I meant what do you build at start of the server?you can't really build academy and embassy to high level
    4.yeah I know but they are good just for WW hammer,what is fun in that?I want to kill while the game is at peak...

Thank you for responding

1.well actually I meant what do you build at start of the server?you can't really build academy and embassy to high level
    4.yeah I know but they are good just for WW hammer,what is fun in that?I want to kill while the game is at peak...
    What nobody else builds high acadamy levels!? I nearly always get it up to atleast level 10... if not 15 since it is pretty cheap early. Embassy isn't needed unless you create and alliance early but later in the game you might as well have it for CP.

Imp's aren't just good for WW hammers... They're generally good at attacking other people as well. As long as you can rebuild your losses fast enough then you might as well use them. Once more the advantage of not having your hammer as the capital, you can make a great barracks and build faster.

but ill take it anyway.

I'd give "T"(REX) some rep, but i don't know how. I assume us forum noobs can't give it out.

What a great guide, it got me off to a great start. And it's simply written which is great because I'm not real bright.

But he left out the ROMAN GRAMMAR LESSON:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAdHEwiAy8

probably just an oversight on his part.

What nobody else builds high acadamy levels!? I nearly always get it up to atleast level 10... if not 15 since it is pretty cheap early. Embassy isn't needed unless you create and alliance early but later in the game you might as well have it for CP.

Imp's aren't just good for WW hammers... They're generally good at attacking other people as well. As long as you can rebuild your losses fast enough then you might as well use them. Once more the advantage of not having your hammer as the capital, you can make a great barracks and build faster.
    Didn't even notice the academy cost sorry will build up that,and merchant since I can use him also...
    ok about imps...how much do you need to keep 24/7 in Great Barrack?I think about 13 support villages will do it?And stable...well not really that much time,I can do it in 5 months I believe(I am not that good player...)

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    If you can wiping the best Teutons early in game isn't too difficult. I'm sure I could wipe Jono at the start of a speed server if we spawned right next to each other. Maces die really easy on defense remember, and Teutons make great farms. Remember also that I don't need to catch the whole army at base to waste resources of the Teuton, I can kill that one maceman that just spawned out of the barracks. Sucks for him, now I'm 90 wood ahead of him plus whatever I just stole.

Still, when it comes right down to a new guide for a normal server Roman, this one is 5 stars.
    You will never catch my maces on defense. Ever.

Good romans don't combat good teutons until they get EI-and the good romans are very few because they take actual skill to play. I'm considering going roman next server.

~Jono
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    OMG, Wodey found a woman who agrees with him. He must be right, cos all women are always right all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    You will never catch my maces on defense. Ever.

Good romans don't combat good teutons until they get EI-and the good romans are very few because they take actual skill to play. I'm considering going roman next server.

~Jono

However, the Teutons who leave their maces at home for our friendly neighborhood EIs are more numerous than one might expect.

Didn't even notice the academy cost sorry will build up that,and merchant since I can use him also...
    ok about imps...how much do you need to keep 24/7 in Great Barrack?I think about 13 support villages will do it?And stable...well not really that much time,I can do it in 5 months I believe(I am not that good player...)
    Well you wouldn't be building imps 24/7 in a great barracks too early in the server... maybe about 15% through in the regular barracks and some in the great barracks after losing them. Towards the end when you have 15+ villages you can easily support them. Also if your capital (a 4446) is near you hammer then they can be making roughly 6-8k an hour of each resource which could keep a barracks running pretty well

but ill take it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Barristan View Post
    However, the Teutons who leave their maces at home for our friendly neighborhood EIs are more numerous than one might expect.
    I was specifically quoting Burn, who was threatening to destroy me with his EI

~Jono
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    OMG, Wodey found a woman who agrees with him. He must be right, cos all women are always right all the time.

Great guide T. GREAT Guide. I'd use it if I hadn't already made my strategy for next speed server.

You see, I am going gaul and moving very far away. I am going to cluster up in spots far from the point that people stop spawning. I bet you people think I'm joking. Hell, I might be. But when you look 300 squares passed the last guy and see a 15c surrounded with other villages, you are going to think of me, and you are going to laugh.

Every time that I try this strategy I wind up getting wiped. I find it just a whole lot easier to just go the economical route until sixes and farm with EIs then. The whole farming with legos thing just doesn't work when you're near the center...too many Teutons creeping around, and one small delay at work or traffic can land you 20 less legos who still haven't paid off their car notes yet. Quite disgusting early on when you consider how many fields could have been purchased instead...

Nevertheless...Roman 4 Life
    s2: Umaril

"Do you roll your own cigarettes?
    "No, why?"
    "I just wanted to know if you prefer to kill yourself or allow others to do it for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Adonis View Post
    Every time that I try this strategy I wind up getting wiped. I find it just a whole lot easier to just go the economical route until sixes and farm with EIs then. The whole farming with legos thing just doesn't work when you're near the center...too many Teutons creeping around, and one small delay at work or traffic can land you 20 less legos who still haven't paid off their car notes yet. Quite disgusting early on when you consider how many fields could have been purchased instead...

Nevertheless...Roman 4 Life
    Well it is stated that you need to be VERY active during the first few days. After that you should be large enough for nobody to want to raid you.

USX - Round 27 ~ Amazo

USX - Round 26 http://prnt.sc/dvgouo
    USX - Round 24 http://prnt.sc/b1u0t2
    UKX - Round 16 http://prntscr.com/3weg3g

Well you wouldn't be building imps 24/7 in a great barracks too early in the server... maybe about 15% through in the regular barracks and some in the great barracks after losing them. Towards the end when you have 15+ villages you can easily support them. Also if your capital (a 4446) is near you hammer then they can be making roughly 6-8k an hour of each resource which could keep a barracks running pretty well
    Hmm you don't chose cropper for capital?Would that mean you have to take some croppers to compensate(wow I think I actually spelled this good :P) after it?I am non gold players so I can't do NPC and will probably have problems with taking croppers early...and later they are all busy...

Sorry I don't really check these forums a lot just when i need something :P

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fate View Post
    Well it is stated that you need to be VERY active during the first few days. After that you should be large enough for nobody to want to raid you.
    Yeah, I definitely hear ya on that one. This is a guide for people who are active enough to otherwise play Teuton if Romans weren't the best

But even if you remain as active as possible, and send your legos out on overnight raids...there is still the possibility that you could get wiped within your first week of play. Note that the guide did advise against starting at center and necessitated being very active...but this is my two cents for everyone who is hardheaded like me and wants to start close to center...don't bother with legos at all until you need them for cav def later.
    s2: Umaril

"Do you roll your own cigarettes?
    "No, why?"
    "I just wanted to know if you prefer to kill yourself or allow others to do it for you."

Hmm you don't chose cropper for capital?Would that mean you have to take some croppers to compensate(wow I think I actually spelled this good :P) after it?I am non gold players so I can't do NPC and will probably have problems with taking croppers early...and later they are all busy...

Sorry I don't really check these forums a lot just when i need something :P
    Well I havent tried taking a non cropper capital yet (gonna try the next server i play). You'd just need lots of supply villages that are making lots of wheat On s6 I never used gold and i had my second village (a 15c) within 2 weeks.

but ill take it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinasilna View Post
    Do what works ... thats really the key. Its not easy to play Romans, as much as the Dev's seem to think they're great for beginners. Guides are just Guidelines anyway, if it doesn't work for you, don't stress yourself to make it work.

T.
    i have played romans on the previous 2 speed servers and have ended up in an alliance that finshed in the top 5 for ww sites both times the biggest reason i think they say they are best for beging players is the double build

Quote Originally Posted by nibru View Post
    I haven't heard anyone that thinks Imperians are better, even though I have said so many times. I guess I look at wheat upkeep and attack power because A. I max out my wheat consumption until it hit the -200 to -300 range(with level 19 wheat fields and level 5 flour mill/bakery), I like to pack more units into that range. B. I have many farms, so I hit only 1x a day. In 24 hours, a guy with 3 villages can build ALOT of troops and send them all to the village I'm attacking and that would CRUSH EIs when Imperians would stand up better. Does ANYONE think this makes sence, or am I just wierd?
    i ended up with a list of around 40 villages at the high point of my raiding last round and i used eq to raid with and most of the time iwas able to hit all my farms 2 or 3 times a day sometimes even 4 i had around 1k i used for raiding. i also had imperians and prats i used the imperians to hit the village the first time they took the intial hit of loss and wiped out they troops after that my eq's raiding them 2 plus times a day left them pretty broke and not able to build up much of an army to do any real damage at all.

this was on the speed server playing romans on a normal server is alot harder to get started and i would lean more towards a equal balance between impeians and eq on them. due mostly to the extra travel time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zooguy View Post
    It's the best Roman guide by far, but I have one question: Why do you say that they are so good at team play? They have the worst merchants by far, and absolutely abysmal defense when it comes to helping out alliance members because all of their cavalry cost too much for them to be used as mobile defense. What exactly makes them stand out when it comes to team play in your opinion?

on the speed server romans start out with 1500 per merchant how is that bad and end up somewhere around 90k for 20 merchants with a trade office at 19 or 20. they might not be the fastest but they can sure carry alot once you get going.

That's true, roughly 50% of farms (when i can be bothered farming) are romans that most likely followed that guide. Also sets them up with a great resources production for farmers

And that's why everyone farms romans, commonly known as n00bs... (except the few great players that come back and kill teut's later on).
    since this was my first time playing with the quest and iwent ahead and started my warehouse and stuff before it said to i went economy route the only problem i had with it was that i started the min the server started so iwas out of bp after the first day i had all the quest done 36 hours into the server easy. of course it helped that i started with my left over gold from the last server so i had more resources comeing in then normal.

other then that i would agree go the military route if you start getting hit macemen before your barracks is up around 4 or 5 and your fields are at least 3 or 4 your going to have a really hard time not becomeing a farm. they have being trying to farm me since day 2 i'm pretty active so they havent gotten much but they sure slowed me down by makeing it hard to get troops built. while they are trying to farm me i am farming 6 other smaller villages and building up for my next village att he same time. just waiting and keeping track of all those lil macemen that will die by my roman swords

Thanks Bosten. I think it took me about 6 hours all together just to write it, but I've been compiling info for a few weeks thanks to some other helpful players.

To be honest, I've never been wiped, so I've never had to recover. I've had Teutons in my area look at my growth and just walk away deciding it isn't worth losing their army attacking mine.

I can tell you what I would attempt. Of course it depends on how aggressive and willing that Teuton is to keep losing troops to kill yours off.

First, I'd have send some kind of amusing message about our two armies getting in a brawl at my Town hall, and unfortunately causing quite a mess. I'd appologise that fewer soldiers made it home than came over to visit - I dunno, something like that to open communication. The more he talks to you, the less likely he is to attack you. Don't ask him to stop, just chat him up. If you can't do it, leave it alone.

Move cranny to level 8.

Stockpile resources ... sit there staring at the counter. You'll need to go what ... 8 hours probably to stock up enough for 2 more legos. If the guy sends an attack, watch the countdown, your legos take 1/2 hour each to build. Wait till he's just inside 1/2 hour and build 1 (if you have enough) - if not, just take it - repeat amusing message.

When you've got 2 again, you start over, raid up, build up and keep moving. If the guy is still attacking you make sure your resources are spent down and your legos aren't there when you're not online to dodge. If that means joining an alliance just to find someone who isn't being attacked that you can reinforce for the night, do it.

-- After that just keep it up. Watch what he's sending for raiding parties. They'll be small if hes been getting zippo from you and sees no troops. If you get back to a place you can afford some loss. Don't dodge, wipe his raiding party. Make sure you dodge the next one though it'll be big.

-- Repeat above proceedure, likely he'll lose taste for you, and if he doesn't you'll be using this guide to rush for EI's and will wipe him soon enough.

-----

Thats about all the advice I've got for such a generic problem. Its situational so I can't be more specific. I hope that helps.

T.
    good guide and some good basic advice this did just happen to me well pretty close excpet i was built up more then level 2 fields i was up to 33 legioners and got wiped out mind you this was 2 days ago now build up your 1 or 2 crannys and get your barracks up around 3 or 4 to cut down build time and wait until build 5 leg at once. this can be hard if your feilds are still really low have to watch for incomeing raids and such. i am back up to 30 leg again and raiding the small guys around me.it will be a while yet before i can hit these guys back but unless there in an alliance that has some good number they will become my farms soon enough

also build up your wall as a roman your wall can do alot of damage i got hit today by 28 paladins and a hero i timed it so my troops were off on a raid and spent down the poor guy lost 2 paly's to my level 7 wall and my villager's and nothing in return.

Default When in Rome ...

AS a fairly new citizen to the empire I have some fairly specific questions that I would prefer not to publicize due to constant attacks/riad potential. Could you PM me, or at least let me PM you?

If you are planning on getting attacked, you are not going to succeed. Being attacked at a point where you can defend yourself and fight back is one thing, being attacked and not being able to do anything about it = failing. Don't fool yourself, being farmed -is- the end of an aggressive and progressive style of game play. Crannys are a good way to waste resources, especially at the beginning of a server. If you are planning to play defensively and 'save' your resources, play a Gaul - they're better at it.

LAST NOTE: IF you are attacked at any time (until cats start rolling), DODGE the fkn attacker. Your troops are too expensive to waste on defending your village. Spend down your resources, upgrade your cranny if it's a Teuton. Do whatever you can to make sure they get absolutely nothing from your village. Don't message them, don't get pissed off, you're not built for a full scale war in the early stages of the game.
    Continue to follow the quest line. Yes, even build that cranny, its cheap and you get as much back in reward as you spend on it. When you start the cranny, start upgrade 1 of each resource field to level 2. You're a roman, use that Double Build to your advantage. When the Cranny finishes, upgrade your MB to level 3 - same reason.

Later ( or Day 2 ) -
    Chose the -Military- path, don't be an idiot and go the other route, you don't need that stuff yet as much as you need to start raiding. You're still in BP so don't get stressed that you aren't raiding and don't have troops yet, they'll come.
    If you don't build your cranny past level one until you see an attack coming, you are kind of leaving you fate to chance. I was unfortunate enough to spawn five squares away from the #1 raider on the server, and so I regret following Tinasilna's advice by only getting my cranny to level one.

I don't think the part that I bolded about spending down when you see an incoming attack would work. How are you going to spend down if you only have a level 1 cranny?! You might not even have a market yet, there's no way you're going to get down to 67 of each resource. And don't count on finishing the cranny upgrade before the attack arrives, unless you're spending gold on insta-build. Even then, it only increases your protection to 87 of each resource against Teutons. So if you get attacked when your cranny is level 1, they're GOING to get resources, unless you donate three hours of production to someone with a lower pop than you and then ask for it/raid it back.
    I no longer check reputation regularly. If you want to leave feedback, please PM me.

Banned.

Just to throw something in. A lot of people know a lot about, and admire the Roman Empire, so they choose them to play at first (I know I did, it comes as a bit of a shock when it takes you forever to do anything.

If you don't know what you are doing the Romans probably aren't a good choice, well in my limited experience anyway.

most people are roman because the guide says romans are for beginners.

i think the devs put that in JUST so there would be more farms. in actuality, gauls are the beginner's race.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix 3.0 View Post
    most people are roman because the guide says romans are for beginners.

i think the devs put that in JUST so there would be more farms. in actuality, gauls are the beginner's race.
    I wouldn't call it the 'beginner's race' as much as I'd call it 'the easiest race for beginners to learn with'. In all honesty, Romans or Gauls should be easy for beginners to learn with, as long as they take some time to read the forum, guides, and Wiki FAQ. There's certainly plenty of time to read those items while waiting for things to build/level.

I wanted to post to offer my thanks to the guide's author, because in four weeks on the server I got to two villages with a combined population of about 450, and that's due almost exclusively to my closely following the advice provided. Raiding is critical to early success, no matter the tribe chosen. It helped that I started later in the server so I was placed significantly away from the center, but for an absolute noob with nothing but the ability to read and learn quickly, I'm extremely happy with what I've accomplished in that timeframe.

5) Raid in SMALL groups. No more than 5 legos per group on smaller inactive targets. 11 legos will kill a rat without losing any troops on small population cities. Over 9 pop, send 12 legos to be safe for the first raid. After that, split into groups of 5. IF you're coming in with raids that aren't quite full, adjust your groups, move to 4 legos per group. Do what you have to do to maximize how many resources you are pulling in without having to expand your raiding for exponentially.
    Using the combat simulator, 2 legos raiding a rat will kill the rat without losing any, and 3 legos in a normal attack will kill the rat without losing any. You might need a few more if you are worried about morale bonus, or the tiny chance that they have a wall, but you certainly don't need 11 or 12.
    I no longer check reputation regularly. If you want to leave feedback, please PM me.

Very good guide, like most new players i saw Romans and went thats me.
    Followed the guide pretty much up to the letter right up until my BP ran out.
    my Population at that point was 100 my feilds were up to a decent lvl above what was recomended and i had a good 25 legos raiding, everything was going as planned for me.
    I was aiming for EI's just liek the guide said, i had everything in place the next few steps where to increase my stables to 5 reasurch which is very costly and then i was set. unfortunatly i then got smacked by a gual player, over run and was forced to surrender.
    My neglect to deffense and making prats was my downfall.
    I realise now as a guide this was just one players point of veiw on his personal tactics.
    unfortunatly it didnt pan out for me, since my set back how ever i now have a nice steady rising population good deffenses a solid attack force of imps and iam slowly working my way to EI's.
    Over all this is a good guide it really helps those new to romans and the game get the basic foundations quickly.
    Like the man says use this guide but be flexable, think for your self and create jumping off points for your self.

my one small problem was, as a new player i didnt understand the shortened game lingo.

over all great

This guide is great!

Quote Originally Posted by CasteR View Post
    my one small problem was, as a new player i didnt understand the shortened game lingo.

over all great
    I liked the guide a lot. It was simple, clear, effective, and leaves room for style. I just started a Roman and that's hard to get me to do.

Although the lingo could be confusing to new players...

Quote Originally Posted by Tifforo View Post
    Using the combat simulator, 2 legos raiding a rat will kill the rat without losing any, and 3 legos in a normal attack will kill the rat without losing any. You might need a few more if you are worried about morale bonus, or the tiny chance that they have a wall, but you certainly don't need 11 or 12.
    Actually, using the travian plus simulator, I see that the morale bonus plays a big role in this situation; still, 8 legionnaires on a raid should be sufficient to guarantee that you don't lose any to a rat (assuming no wall).

Great thread

Just something I'd like to add.

A fully upgraded City Wall gives an 80% defense bonus.

A fully upgraded Earth Wall gives a 40% defense bonus.

Praetorians are the most crop-efficient infantry defenders in the game, and Imperians the most crop-efficient attackers.

Quote Originally Posted by Epic_95 View Post
    Just something I'd like to add.

A fully upgraded City Wall gives an 80% defense bonus.

A fully upgraded Earth Wall gives a 40% defense bonus.

Praetorians are the most crop-efficient infantry defenders in the game, and Imperians the most crop-efficient attackers.
    but then a level 20 roman wall can be completely destroyed with 75 rams i think it was. and earth wall take much more.

Praets and imps are the most crop efficent but they're the slowest to build and (im not sure about this part) are the most expensive.

but ill take it anyway.

They may be slow to build, but the GB takes care of that with no trouble. And what did Lordy once say...

Building defensive troops in a Great Barracks is foolish - defenses should be built in multiple towns to spread the expense out (and yes, that would mean upgrading them in the armory in multiple towns - a far better use of resources than paying 3x cost for Praets).

-Glambo

Quote Originally Posted by Epic_95 View Post
    They may be slow to build, but the GB takes care of that with no trouble. And what did Lordy once say...
    I donno, what did Lordy say?

but ill take it anyway.