Thread: How attackers can die when there are no defenders

Default How attackers can die when there are no defenders

There has been a lot of discussion about this. I am here to clear this up once and for all.

There are four defenses (besides the trapper) that a village with no troops can have:
    1. natural defense,
    2. morale bonus, and
    3. residence/palace defense.
    4. Wall.
    Natural defense is an innate defense value for every village. Morale bonus gives an attacking or defending bonus to the smaller player (total account population is used). The Residence and Palace add to the village's defense rating.

I don't have the exact numbers for natural defense and morale bonus. For example, I'm not certain whether the morale bonus provides defense points, a percent bonus, or both (although I'm pretty sure it provides a percent bonus). The numbers for the residence/palace are available in this thread: http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=3119 The values that the morale bonus multiplier can assume (between 1 and 1.5) are explained in this post: http://forum.travian.us/showpost.php...9&postcount=11

Contrary to popular belief, the wall does NOT provide defense of its own. However, it increases the strength of any existing defenses, including the natural defense, morale bonus, and residence/palace defense.

Here are some general patterns:

1. A non-hero infantry or weak cavalry unit sent alone will ALWAYS die. (The only exception is each tribe's scout unit.) You need to send at least two.
    2. When raiding with Gaul phalanx and you don't want casualties, you will probably need at least three if the defender's population is less than yours. If the population is MUCH less (e.g. you have 60+ population and they only have 2) and for some reason you are using a normal attack instead of a raid, then you may need four or even five or six.
    For the exact number of phalanx you need, look at this thread: http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?t=38685
    3. I believe that using a raid instead of a normal attack will reduce your losses.
    4. Don't send chiefs/chieftains/senators alone. Ever.
    Last edited by Wren; 03-17-2010 at 04:41 PM.
    I no longer check reputation regularly. If you want to leave feedback, please PM me.

Default Determining defenses

If you want to know how strong the defenses of a person with no troops will be, here are some tips:

1. Look at population. If it is very low, you can be more or less certain that they don't have a residence or palace. The wall is a little trickier, since it doesn't start adding population until level 6. Also, remember that if your population is more than theirs they will get a morale boost!
    2. Scout. If you use the "scout defenses and troops" option, it will tell you about any residence, palace, wall, or stonemason they have, and what level it is. Too bad it won't tell you about the Gaul trapper. (Note that scouts are immune to getting trapped, and are immune to the residence/palace. They can only get killed if the defender has scouts.)

P.S. The +10% defense bonus that can be purchased with gold probably makes a difference too if they have that.
    Last edited by Tifforo; 01-26-2009 at 03:02 PM.
    I no longer check reputation regularly. If you want to leave feedback, please PM me.

Default Making sure you read the report right

Some people claim that their troops were killed when there were no defenders, when in fact this is not the case. Here are some reasons:

1. When attacking a Gaul, check to see whether is says "casualties" or "prisoners".
    2. Remember that if more than 3/4 of the defenders survived, you will not be informed of the number of defenders.
    3. Look to see if there were reinforcements.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifforo View Post
    Some people claim that their troops were killed when there were no defenders, when in fact this is not the case. Here are some reasons:

1. When attacking a Gaul, check to see whether is says "casualties" or "prisoners".
    2. Remember that if more than 3/4 of the defenders survived, you will not be informed of the number of defenders.
    3. Look to see if there were reinforcements.
    Well, think of it like this: one rroops attacks the villiage, then the whole Population of the villiage attacks the troop and kills him/her.
    Code:
    If you get on my bad side, be prepared for some severe punishment!!! Muahahahahaha!!!!! >:-)
    QUOTE=BurnsBright;698900]
    666.6666666666666667 times 3 = 2000.
    Use your calculator.
    [/QUOTE]

Any good quotes?
    How to get 100 pop in 1 hour without gold!

Default rtfm

oops I'd better read first instead of sending out troops on their own :-)

naw just send troops its more fun that way

Great post over all, just one small correction that I would like to add.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifforo View Post
    3. I believe that using a raid instead of a normal attack will reduce your losses.
    There is a difference between when you raid or do a normal attack. In a raid you will not lose as many units and more will come back alive . In a normal attack your units are fighting till the very end, till one side reaches zero units, in both cases whatever units are left over will pick up resources and come back.

Thats all I had to add.
    Alliance Leader of OWNED (usx round 4, not usx round 5)
    Duvessas' baby's daddy. (Be jealous)
    [1/25/2009 12:22:11 PM] T says: F** you dead in your A**
    [1/25/2009 12:22:15 PM] Wal says: we have no time!
    http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9814/...r717143eg0.gif
    Had a bad day? Click Here

Does the EI count as weak cavalry? I have researched them today and will produce my first one shortly. Can I send one by himself to raid inactives?

Thank you for writing this it answered some things I've been wondering about
    Last edited by papa smurf; 02-07-2009 at 04:15 AM.

It depends on your target, I would recommend against it. It is never a good idea to send one troop. It simply isn't worth the risk, especially at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
    Does the EI count as weak cavalry? I have researched them today and will produce my first one shortly. Can I send one by himself to raid inactives?
    As far as I know, only EC, TK, Haeduans, and heroes can be sent alone without dying.

Quote Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post

Thank you for writing this it answered some things I've been wondering about
    According to http://kirilloid.ru/travian/warsim.php, an EI sent on a raid against a 2 pop village can survive, but only if your population is 11 or less. If the defender has 8 pop, the EI sent alone on a raid will survive if you have 45 or less pop. This is assuming the defender doesn't have a wall and that you have no attack upgrades from the blacksmith or gold.

EDIT: It's not possible to get EIs at 11 pop. So you generally shouldn't send them alone.
    Last edited by Tifforo; 02-08-2009 at 07:52 PM.

thanks for the tip. I lost atleast all of my troops when going a long ways away. I'll think about going on long trips,etc. i WAS SO MAD!

I just make sure my hero is in my village while someone attacks so my hero gets some experience.

I've seen an Imperian (assumed to be upgraded) attack a 20 pop village and return. Just my personal experience, it's generally more of a fluke where it was a fake and you get a report back
    S1: Enclave
    S4: Tild

How does the palace/residence kill troops? Do the politicians come out and talk so the troops kill themselves or something?
    ,,,And]... ~Last... Life<Travian!... {{randomness@travian|?

Dragons! http://www.krelxean.*******************/dragon_155753 Click the link to help my dragon live long and prosper!

Use your imagination If your going historically maybe he caught a disease, but there are much more creative ways for a troop to die .
    O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that with it Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits, in Thy mercy.

http://kirilloid.ru/travian/log.php?wx6fCQD4F9b9/gAABA

Thats the most troops that can die to a empty village.

A ROMAN level 20 wall ( more Bounes than gual/teut ) , a level 20 residence/palace , defender with 1 pop and attacker with 99999 ( obviously impossible as wall and residence would give pop, but hti sis just a sim.

:P imangen that, sending 146 phals to a 1 pop and losing them all, then scouting a second after to find he has no DEF

(This is almost 100% impossible, the pop thing ( being so high AND being so low with them buildings ) scouting 1 second after ( pretty useless lol )

Quote Originally Posted by Krelxean View Post
    How does the palace/residence kill troops? Do the politicians come out and talk so the troops kill themselves or something?
    They get scared by such a big building Or run into it? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tild View Post
    I've seen an Imperian (assumed to be upgraded) attack a 20 pop village and return. Just my personal experience, it's generally more of a fluke where it was a fake and you get a report back
    I cant see that happening...

http://kirilloid.ru/travian/log.php?I0AAgP9D11IgAEA

Thats with a level 20 Imp, attacking from a village with +10% OFF bounes, at 37 pop... Any higher pop and the imp dies...

http://kirilloid.ru/travian/log.php?I0AAAAkAAA - Seeeeeeee... And whats the chances you have recharched Imps, got the werehouse and granary big enough to get the blacksmith to level 20, then big enough to get the imp to level 20 and STILL be under 37pop .

I think someone has been telling porky pies , tut tut tut.
    Please be aware that this might be Jim (old), or Harry (young), posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tild View Post
    Was this 20 pop village the defender's only village? Remember, the morale bonus is based on account population, not village population.

Once on us2, I saw a gaul sword (level 20) fake hit a village grab resources and return to the owner. Sadly it was long enough go, even if I went back now I coudn't find it or I would post it.

The player being attacked was higher population then the attacker and the village that the fake returned, at first I didn't believe her but I actually went and looked at the village and there was the report.

So in rare occasions it seems they can survive, but its not worth doing. Raiding with one troop is stupid even if you knew they wouldn't die cause you won't pick up many resources.