Results 1 to 31 of 31

Thread: Territorial 7x7 15x15 etc....

  1. #1

    Default Territorial 7x7 15x15 etc....

    Okay... Why are people so adamant about being the only player with a village within thier 7x7, or 15x15 for the larger players?

    Yes, I understand that the closer the enemy is, the less time you have to react (maybe dodge) thier attacks, but that doesn't seem to apply in these cases.

    Usually you see people's profile descriptions warning to stay out of thier 7x7 or face immediate attack. Fine, might rules in this game. But what is so threatening about a smaller player that joins late? Why is that so threatening to some players? If they start to get larger, then you can cat them to death. If you have this policy, I'm assuming that you're able to back it up, so a small village is really no threat to you. And it's not like they're stealing resources from you, unless they attack your farms (which don't exist in your 7x7 anyway).

    So what is the big deal?

  2. #2

    Default

    I'm not sure. I am one of those people that joined late in the game, and happen to be in a 7x7 area of theirs. I got attacked, and after getting a message from them asking for tribute to stop the attacks, no more than an hours resources of course, i told them that It hadn't bene my choice where I got put, and the attacks stoped.

    I'm not sure its because they just were trying to hav a show of power, or my diplomacy with that letter.

    But its true. we get in late in the game. Its not our fault that we were put there, and tried to get in their alliance, was considered too small, and then attacked. (happened in two servers)

    quit picking on me!!!!
    USX R7: Winter Glory
    USX R8: LilBunnyFooFoo
    USX R9: Morning Glory

    I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier - The Killers

  3. #3
    Philosopher Rair902's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    home
    Posts
    1,634

    Post

    why are u so concerned this is just a fricking War/building ur villys game! people can do whatever they want!, well not everything...

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rair902 View Post
    why are u so concerned this is just a fricking War/building ur villys game! people can do whatever they want!, well not everything...
    Wow! I guess the topic went completely over your head there, didn't it, little guy? Thanks for replying though; now, go do your English homework.

  5. #5
    Villager Djinko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Ridge...
    Posts
    221

    Default

    "why are u so concerned this is just a fricking War/building ur villys game! people can do whatever they want!, well not everything..."


    It is a good point to make....at any point I am SURE you just like everyone else logs in to see that they have been attacked and gets a little bit mad.....and if it keeps happening then you get more mad.....and then you can stop playing the game...or cranny up and deal....or pay the tribute......or plead for them to leave you alone....in ANY case it is not just building you things and making war.....because whatever you do helps someone or hurts some one if you do anything at all....

  6. #6
    Villager Djinko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Ridge...
    Posts
    221

    Default

    haha I forgot that sarcasm does not post well....but yeah kid good job ^_^

  7. #7
    Philosopher Rair902's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    home
    Posts
    1,634

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by travelsick View Post
    Wow! I guess the topic went completely over your head there, didn't it, little guy? Thanks for replying though; now, go do your English homework.
    too bad i have no english hw, and i bet ur 1 of those people who gets so stressed out if u got attacked or raided or something.

    this is just a GAME! big players make those rules, because they can and they want farms for resources, so obviously big players pick on new/small players for resources and if the big guys make their own rules and small guys dont follow those rules, then the big guys will hurt the small guys(happens most of the time)!

    ps i want this thread to be locked or deleted, Thank you.

  8. #8
    Philosopher Brahma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Under a bridge
    Posts
    4,256

    Default

    I wouldn't want anyone that could attack my village with catapults to be anywhere near my villages or have to compete for oases for my villages or take a 9c/15c in my 7x7.

  9. #9
    Tradesperson lobo9398's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hunting ze wily and elusive washcloth
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rair902 View Post
    ps i want this thread to be locked or deleted, Thank you.
    Want in one hand and go #2 in the other and see which fills up first.

    Back on-topic:
    I frankly welcome new players to my 7x7. Those tender, juicy farms that I can attack 4 times or more a day are always a treat to the palate.
    I may not agree with what you say, but I am prepared to give my life to defend your right to say it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daft Punk View Post
    Newbs are okay, all they want to do is play, and most are willing to learn how to play.
    Noobs are funny, with their crazy messaging and their stupid decisions.
    Newbs = Teach
    Noobs = Destroy
    Read the Charter!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zingoleb View Post
    Androgyny ftw.

  10. #10

    Default

    Again, you completely missed the entire point....

    I fully understand the goal of this game. I don't stress about getting attacked - last I checked, this wasn't www.barbie.com

    I'm simply wondering why people are so adamant about new villages (excuse me, Farms) popping up in thier 7x7. I see that as a good thing b/c it's more resources for me. Keep them small enough and they can't ever mount an attack against you.

    It's not as if a village with 50,000 troops just appears in your 7x7. And if a top player settles in your 7x7, and moves in 50,000 troops - well, it doesn't really matter does it, b/c you attack/chief him immediately, or you die. Either way.... there's not point in being a puff-adder and posing as the strongest bully on the block with warnings in your 7x7. If anything, that should just make you a bigger target to the larger players/alliances since they'll have to deal with you eventually.

  11. #11
    Artisan Sidh-Wulf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Forest City
    Posts
    644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rair902 View Post
    too bad i have no english hw, and i bet ur 1 of those people who gets so stressed out if u got attacked or raided or something.

    this is just a GAME! big players make those rules, because they can and they want farms for resources, so obviously big players pick on new/small players for resources and if the big guys make their own rules and small guys dont follow those rules, then the big guys will hurt the small guys(happens most of the time)!

    ps i want this thread to be locked or deleted, Thank you.
    Just a question: If you have so little to say, why do you write so much? If you can't understand someone wanting to be good at whatever they bother to do, then don't say anything at all Right? Make sense?
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5227/sidhwolf.gif
    Signature by dixy_normous
    Thanks Dix

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brahma View Post
    I wouldn't want anyone that could attack my village with catapults to be anywhere near my villages or have to compete for oases for my villages or take a 9c/15c in my 7x7.
    Catas are slow, and I get that, so an enemy basing them close to you is dangerous b/c of the shorter attack times. But new villages don't have catas, and if someone settles and pushes a ton of catas and troops your way, then they probably won't be threatened by a "Don't settle in my 7x7, or else!" threat in your profile.

    But I do understand wanting to protect the croppers, Brahma.

    I guess there are two types of players to think about if they show up in your 7x7. The new player with a new village that you can exploit. And then there is the experienced, stronger player that already has thousands of troops/catas and settles in your area. But this second type isn't likely going to care about a warning about settling in your 7x7.
    Last edited by travelsick; 12-04-2008 at 05:42 AM.

  13. #13

    Default

    It's probably just a declaration of the player's philosophy: that he wants to be the dominating force in his area so that he can be the "best" in the area.

    You're absolutely right. Small villages pose no threat to the bigger players. The bigger players probably aren't too concerned with the small villages. They just want to attack as many people as possible.

    Let's get this thread back on track.
    Liberate your mind

  14. #14

    Default

    Having used this tactic in the past I can tell you that, in my case anyway, it was simply a show of dominance and strength. Essentially it warns the smaller player of imminent attacks, possibly promoting preemptive diplomacy(usually resulting in tribute and/or possible future chiefing targets ), or threatens larger players with force if they decide that you inhabit real estate that they desire. As far as why players feel the need to do it, eh, to each their own.

    Why do these threads have to go so completely off topic!?!?
    Last edited by es587731; 12-04-2008 at 06:58 AM.

  15. #15
    Tradesperson lobo9398's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hunting ze wily and elusive washcloth
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by es587731 View Post

    Why do these threads have to go so completely off topic!?!?
    Because hijacking is both fun and profitable.
    I may not agree with what you say, but I am prepared to give my life to defend your right to say it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daft Punk View Post
    Newbs are okay, all they want to do is play, and most are willing to learn how to play.
    Noobs are funny, with their crazy messaging and their stupid decisions.
    Newbs = Teach
    Noobs = Destroy
    Read the Charter!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zingoleb View Post
    Androgyny ftw.

  16. #16

  17. #17

    Default

    It's a sound strategy. If you allow player "A" to grow in your area (7x7 21x21 whatever) why not let player "B" and "C" and "D" etc.... Now you have 5 or 10 or more playes who are mad at you because they are paying tribute. One of them could join a large alliance "for help" and now you have to decide to start a war or leave a player 2 squares away that will eventually pose a serious threat. It's like having a garden, you don't wait until there are a lot of weeds before you start pulling them out.
    "Never do an enemy a small injury"

    - Niccolo Machiavelli

  18. #18
    Philosopher Brahma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Under a bridge
    Posts
    4,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by travelsick View Post
    Catas are slow, and I get that, so an enemy basing them close to you is dangerous b/c of the shorter attack times. But new villages don't have catas, and if someone settles and pushes a ton of catas and troops your way, then they probably won't be threatened by a "Don't settle in my 7x7, or else!" threat in your profile.

    But I do understand wanting to protect the croppers, Brahma.

    I guess there are two types of players to think about if they show up in your 7x7. The new player with a new village that you can exploit. And then there is the experienced, stronger player that already has thousands of troops/catas and settles in your area. But this second type isn't likely going to care about a warning about settling in your 7x7.
    It's much easiet to zero out a village with 80 pop than it is to destroy a village with 914 pop. Or think about it this way, when you are sick, do you wait until you land in the hospital before you see the doctor or do you get an infection treated right away before it has a chance to really grow and spread?

  19. #19
    Philosopher fgw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    ♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪ ♥ Φ
    Posts
    4,187

    Default

    All of you, out of my 32x32 now.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by travelsick View Post
    Again, you completely missed the entire point....

    I fully understand the goal of this game. I don't stress about getting attacked - last I checked, this wasn't www.barbie.com

    I'm simply wondering why people are so adamant about new villages (excuse me, Farms) popping up in thier 7x7. I see that as a good thing b/c it's more resources for me. Keep them small enough and they can't ever mount an attack against you.

    It's not as if a village with 50,000 troops just appears in your 7x7. And if a top player settles in your 7x7, and moves in 50,000 troops - well, it doesn't really matter does it, b/c you attack/chief him immediately, or you die. Either way.... there's not point in being a puff-adder and posing as the strongest bully on the block with warnings in your 7x7. If anything, that should just make you a bigger target to the larger players/alliances since they'll have to deal with you eventually.

    Natars...*shivers*...

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Always Blue View Post
    It's a sound strategy. If you allow player "A" to grow in your area (7x7 21x21 whatever) why not let player "B" and "C" and "D" etc.... Now you have 5 or 10 or more playes who are mad at you because they are paying tribute. One of them could join a large alliance "for help" and now you have to decide to start a war or leave a player 2 squares away that will eventually pose a serious threat. It's like having a garden, you don't wait until there are a lot of weeds before you start pulling them out.
    This has happened to me in the past. It is the primary reason I now remove villages from my area.

  22. #22
    Tradesperson Flame_of_Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The wide open west
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Always Blue View Post
    It's a sound strategy. If you allow player "A" to grow in your area (7x7 21x21 whatever) why not let player "B" and "C" and "D" etc.... Now you have 5 or 10 or more playes who are mad at you because they are paying tribute. One of them could join a large alliance "for help" and now you have to decide to start a war or leave a player 2 squares away that will eventually pose a serious threat. It's like having a garden, you don't wait until there are a lot of weeds before you start pulling them out.
    This has happened to me. At heart I wanted to be a nice guy, but being a nice guy in this game is a sure fire way to get screwed.

  23. #23
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,681

    Default

    On s7 I was on the receiving end of a bloke wanting to clear his 7x7 even though I was no threat to him. At first I thought he was just being an ****, but now I realise it actually makes sense.

  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by travelsick View Post
    Okay... Why are people so adamant about being the only player with a village within thier 7x7, or 15x15 for the larger players?

    Yes, I understand that the closer the enemy is, the less time you have to react (maybe dodge) thier attacks, but that doesn't seem to apply in these cases.

    Usually you see people's profile descriptions warning to stay out of thier 7x7 or face immediate attack. Fine, might rules in this game. But what is so threatening about a smaller player that joins late? Why is that so threatening to some players? If they start to get larger, then you can cat them to death. If you have this policy, I'm assuming that you're able to back it up, so a small village is really no threat to you. And it's not like they're stealing resources from you, unless they attack your farms (which don't exist in your 7x7 anyway).

    So what is the big deal?
    I think you mistunderstand the mentality a bit. People don't want to be the only one in their 7x7; they just want to be the only successful player in their 7x7. If there are 3 actives in a 7x7, you're competing with 2 other players when farming the closer farms. People who become inactive early more than likely don't have their fields built up enough to sustain 24/7 raiding from one person alone. Sure, you could go somewhere else, but that would just take longer and still you're probably competing with somebody in that 7x7.

  25. #25

    Default

    Okay... that all makes sense guys. Thanks!

    I guess my thoughts are to make sure that I'm the biggest kid on the block by kicking the others into the ground. And while I'll farm the inactives, I don't usually want any tribute b/c I agree with Always Blue that it just fosters revenge. If I can't farm someone in my 7x7, I'd cata or chief them at my ealiest opportunity just to get rid of them.

    I just don't know that I'd advertise in my profile that I'm a ruthless player that will be glad to farm you, but would rather catapult you than take tribute. The entire concept of tribute is pretty crazy since it's just one hour's worth. For one hour's worth to be actually worth anything (to me, not to him), he'd have to be pretty big, and I don't think I'd let him get even to the 250+ pop range, and anything under that is less than, guesstimating, 1000 units/day??? If I've already got catas and chiefs, the 1000/day tribute is a worth about 2 cents and it's not worth the enemy I'd be risking later. Essentially, doing what Brahma and some of you others would do - if you can't farm them, kill them.

    But I wouldn't put threats in my profile about. I'd just do it.

  26. #26
    Tradesperson
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    382

    Default

    Threats in people's profiles make them feel tougher, and better about themselves. Close villages you leave alone can suddenly hit you at the worst possible time, and then your left because you didn't deal with them sooner.

    Most people like having an hour or two, if not considerably longer to deal with any potential threat. If someone begins beside you, and builds up a residence and moves away & makes a palace and new captial (and for some reason you didn't chief them) so someone else does you have now got a much larger problem, or you can just keep crop killing them until they get the message and try restarting/ another server.

  27. #27

    Default

    I claim my 800x800 because I'm big and tough travelsick. How do ya like dem apples

    EDIT: Travelsick and I actually had a big long heated debate about this very topic the other day on skype, so I searched the topic in the forums and found that he himself had actually started a thread on it. This was me poking fun at him, not being a fail necro. I didn't think anyone else would really care to post on a year-old thread.
    Last edited by TheSteelCurtain; 01-12-2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Funny De-reps

  28. #28

    Default

    Previous posters have covered the major reasons why some players keep their 7x7 or whatever clear of anything other than farms. I just want to add a suggestion for those who spawn late in a larger player's territory. Make a deal with the larger player, don't just beg for mercy or complain how it isn't fair.

    For example, I often deal with newly spawned players in my territory by allowing them to settle a new village far away from my area. In exchange, they allow me to chief their spawn village once it's well-developed. There's a lot of details that get worked out during negotiations, but that's the core of the deal. It's better for both players - the newb gets to start over but gets a more preferable location and can push their newly-started village, at least for a while, and the big player gets to chief a village rather than settle a new one.
    Last edited by irish_deadhead; 01-11-2010 at 07:30 AM.
    us4r2: Hickey
    Member: ABT, Part of Winning Meta (PANTLESS)

  29. #29
    Philosopher
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSteelCurtain View Post
    I claim my 800x800 because I'm big and tough travelsick. How do ya like dem apples
    Well I claim my 801x801, I win.

    Quote Originally Posted by irish_deadhead View Post
    Previous posters have covered the major reasons why some players keep their 7x7 or whatever clear of anything other than farms. I just want to add a suggestion for those who spawn late in a larger player's territory. Make a deal with the larger player, don't just beg for mercy or complain how it isn't fair.

    For example, I often deal with newly spawned players in my territory by allowing them to settle a new village far away from my area. In exchange, they allow me to chief their spawn village once it's well-developed. There's a lot of details that get worked out during negotiations, but that's the core of the deal. It's better for both players - the newb gets to start over but gets a more preferable location and can push their newly-started village, at least for a while, and the big player gets to chief a village rather than settle a new one.
    This thread is over a year old...
    Dethy record:
    As mafia:4-3
    As detective: 14-3
    Overall:18-6

  30. #30
    Philosopher halfcup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Occupied.
    Posts
    1,910

    Default

    Ok so say I want you brought down, but I'm really far away.
    By the time my troops can arrive, you'd be stacked to the brim.
    Risky.

    So I chat up a small player, maybe an old friend, get them to sneak in to your territory.
    I push them to pults and chiefs. The pop increase looks like they're simming up some fields.

    Then BAM! Your hammer is chiefed in the time it takes you to shower.

    Also, if it's early game and you let them grow, they could become your ally and you'd hafta share oases and croppers with them.
    I am the evil that men do.

    http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/x...ClassClown.png
    Look mom! I'm Travian-Famous!

  31. #31

    Default

    A small player can do a lot of damage, even to the top players... regardless small damage from a little player is more damage than you/I want...

    Why have a Potential threat when you can have none near you...


    And how do you know they're not farming your farms, they're not secretly building an army to take you out...

    Even if the player has 1 village, and you have 10... once he knows your a sleep, he can sneak out his 2-10k army and decimate your villages... On speed its even better... because...


    I know they can... because thats what i've been doing for the last 18mths....


    Thats all I do now a days... make 1 village account and cause havoc.


    edit: booo for necros...
    Last edited by Baghernia; 01-13-2010 at 12:05 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •