Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 1061

Thread: Why Religion is Stupid

  1. #1
    Artisan gammix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    595

    Default Why Religion is Stupid

    Hi All,
    The nice religious debate threads have been dead for a while, so I decided to make another.

    Here is my basic case for why religion is ****ing stupid:

    There are hundreds, maybe even thousands of contradicting religions in the world. Most people who follow these religions are 100% sure they're right. Statistically speaking, even if one was right, if you believe in a religion, there's a pretty damn good chance that you're wrong.

    But that begs the question, why assume any of you have it right? Even if there is a god, what is the honest likelihood that any major religion has it figured out?

    Let's take Christianity as an example. The only reason that you people have for believing what you believe is a thousands-of-years-old book that contradicts itself in numerous places and contains so many arbitrary, senseless rules as to be laughable. Is this a compelling reason for absolute belief?

    In the debates I've had on these forums, a lot of people fall back on the faith/spiritual feeling argument once I've beaten the bible to death. My reply: even if you have a random, inexplicable feeling that there just has to be something out there, does this really prove anything regarding the accuracy of your religion? God could really be anything. God could be an invisible pink unicorn, or a housefly in the sky. Or, as I believe to be the case, a Flying Spaghetti Monster. So why believe that your specific religion is correct?

    I eagerly await rebuttals.

    With love,
    -Gammix
    Last edited by gammix; 01-13-2010 at 04:04 AM.
    In memory of Zingoleb, who was a dumb*** and posted porn.

    Quote Originally Posted by mbstokem View Post
    First they let the blacks take our women now women can take our women?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichts View Post
    I'm looking for nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    Is it worth it to pretend to be a girl just to get some stuff?
    Depends on what the "stuff" is.

  2. #2
    Merchant Centre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    #us4
    Posts
    1,401

    Default

    Why do the thousands of religions have to be mutually exclusive? Can they just not be varied and different ways in pursuit of the same thing?

  3. #3
    Artisan gammix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Centre View Post
    Why do the thousands of religions have to be mutually exclusive? Can they just not be varied and different ways in pursuit of the same thing?
    Because Christianity claims that there is only one God in three parts and Hinduism claims that there are three Gods in millions of parts.

    Quote Originally Posted by King Marcus View Post
    1). People who claim the bible contradicts itself have never really read it in context.
    http://www.infidels.org/library/mode...adictions.html
    http://www.evilbible.com/Biblical%20Contradictions.htm
    http://www.ffrf.org/books/lfif/?t=contra

    2). Christianity is the one true religion (not catholocism, not protestantism, etc).
    Case and point.

    -Gammix
    In memory of Zingoleb, who was a dumb*** and posted porn.

    Quote Originally Posted by mbstokem View Post
    First they let the blacks take our women now women can take our women?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichts View Post
    I'm looking for nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    Is it worth it to pretend to be a girl just to get some stuff?
    Depends on what the "stuff" is.

  4. #4
    Philosopher PiəŻMąn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    >.>....<.<...STALKER!
    Posts
    1,851

    Default

    If you think about as well the fact that there are so many religions and people think theirs is the only true one has started many wars.

  5. #5
    Artisan Ilikepie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    pie
    Posts
    986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King Marcus View Post
    1). People who claim the bible contradicts itself have never really read it in context.
    2). Christianity is the one true religion (not catholocism, not protestantism, etc).
    Catholocism is a man made religion, driven by the agenda of the church. The Protestants just protested from that... but still belive in most of the main things Catholocism belive in.
    http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7968/ilikepie.gif

    Props go to Censored for the kick *** siggy

  6. #6
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King Marcus View Post
    1). People who claim the bible contradicts itself have never really read it in context.
    2). Christianity is the one true religion (not catholocism, not protestantism, etc).
    This.

    I personally will not care about God, or acknoledge his/her existence, until they come down and prove it to me personally.

    Religion doesn't matter to me.

  7. #7
    Artisan gammix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PiəŻMąn View Post
    If you think about as well the fact that there are so many religions and people think theirs is the only true one has started many wars.
    Yes, that's the part that scares me. Bill Maher said something like "people have developed the ability to kill themselves before they've developed the intelligence not to want to." This was in reference to a nuclear religious war destroying the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ride_the_wave_renton View Post
    Well... This thread makes me wish I could deliver the old 1 2!
    Please don't post unless you're prepared to actually explain your opinion. If you are, I welcome you with open arms.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikepie View Post
    Catholocism is a man made religion, driven by the agenda of the church. The Protestants just protested from that... but still belive in most of the main things Catholocism belive in.
    Can you honestly say that you know that any religion isn't man-made?

    -Gammix
    In memory of Zingoleb, who was a dumb*** and posted porn.

    Quote Originally Posted by mbstokem View Post
    First they let the blacks take our women now women can take our women?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichts View Post
    I'm looking for nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    Is it worth it to pretend to be a girl just to get some stuff?
    Depends on what the "stuff" is.

  8. #8

    Default Rebuttal

    First of all, saying that the whole universe is the product of a big explosion is like saying that the President's heads on Mt. Rushmore are the product of chance erosion!

    Secondly, all cells come from other cells, so where did the first cell come from? God.

    Visit this website
    http://www.christiananswers.net/

  9. #9
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King Ben View Post
    First of all, saying that the whole universe is the product of a big explosion is like saying that the President's heads on Mt. Rushmore are the product of chance erosion!

    Secondly, all cells come from other cells, so where did the first cell come from? God.

    Visit this website
    http://www.christiananswers.net/
    Wow. You are an idiot.

    Where did God come from then?

    Cells came from a combination of RNA, which can replicate and cut itself. Cell membranes are formed when lipid molecules are in water, they naturally form a sphrical shape. Amino acids can be formed from organic molecules + steam + carbon dioxide + lightning. Check out the Miller-Urey experiment.

  10. #10
    Artisan gammix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King Ben View Post
    First of all, saying that the whole universe is the product of a big explosion is like saying that the President's heads on Mt. Rushmore are the product of chance erosion!

    Secondly, all cells come from other cells, so where did the first cell come from? God.

    Visit this website
    http://www.christiananswers.net/
    I won't argue, and never have argued, these points. But those aren't answers that support the believe in any specific religion, are they? Any God could have done that, so it's silly to pick a God and have absolute faith that you've got the right one.

    -Gammix

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicid View Post
    Wow. You are an idiot.

    Where did God come from then?
    Yes, this too. I have a book with a logical explanation of this, let me go get it. One moment. =)

    -Gammix
    In memory of Zingoleb, who was a dumb*** and posted porn.

    Quote Originally Posted by mbstokem View Post
    First they let the blacks take our women now women can take our women?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichts View Post
    I'm looking for nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    Is it worth it to pretend to be a girl just to get some stuff?
    Depends on what the "stuff" is.

  11. #11
    Philosopher Nichts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    USS Yorktown
    Posts
    11,751

    Default

    Gammix... keep in mind that when you add up the number of Muslims, Jews, and Christians, you have a lot of people who have monotheistic beliefs.

    It's no secret that I'm a Christian. My belief in God doesn't just come from the Bible, or from what I heard someone say. Things have happened in my life which I can attribute to God. A non-believer will simply play them down as luck or chance, but they've happened enough for me to rule these things out.

  12. #12
    Philosopher Hellstorm21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow killing the leprechaun who keeps stealing my gold
    Posts
    2,133

    Default

    Let me put it to you like this, if you said this to my face, I would be very very very tempted to punch you in your face until it caves in on itself. I'm very religious, but I follow my religion mainly through faith, & Jesus Christ actually did exist at 1 point in time, that is some proof right there. As to explain IF he did any of the things that he said he did in the bible is a different story altogether, I'm not saying you're right or wrong gammix. But I want to at least have some guarantee that I'm going to Heaven when I die, & you can't prove or disprove that Heaven, Hell, Purgatory or other versions of those 3 don't exist.
    DDR isn't a game, it's a waste of time, space, energy, & programming skills.
    http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...ighterbig2.png

  13. #13
    Artisan gammix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nichts View Post
    Gammix... keep in mind that when you add up the number of Muslims, Jews, and Christians, you have a lot of people who have monotheistic beliefs.
    Hey, glad you joined! This is a semi-valid point, I'll confess, but it only takes a chip out of one part of my argument.

    It's no secret that I'm a Christian. My belief in God doesn't just come from the Bible, or from what I heard someone say. Things have happened in my life which I can attribute to God. A non-believer will simply play them down as luck or chance, but they've happened enough for me to rule these things out.
    Ah, but this is exactly what I mean. You may have had experiences that lead to your belief in the existence of a God (hell, I'm ashamed to admit, I believe in God), but there is no reason to have faith in any one specific religion. Honestly, with infinite possibilities for a God, what are the chances that any religion has it right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellstorm21 View Post
    Let me put it to you like this, if you said this to my face, I would be very very very tempted to punch you in your face until it caves in on itself.
    That's not very Christlike, is it? But besides, the fact that you would have to resort to that only makes me look more right and you look more wrong. If you were right, you'd probably be able to make a reasonable case other than just punching me. Too bad I don't know you in real life, though.

    I'm very religious, but I follow my religion mainly through faith, & Jesus Christ actually did exist at 1 point in time, that is some proof right there.
    I've also heard that Jesus existed, but is that proof of him being a prophet and Christianity being correct?

    As to explain IF he did any of the things that he said he did in the bible is a different story altogether, I'm not saying you're right or wrong gammix.
    Yet you feel strongly enough about it to get in a fistfight.

    But I want to at least have some guarantee that I'm going to Heaven when I die, & you can't prove or disprove that Heaven, Hell, Purgatory or other versions of those 3 don't exist.
    I love this argument. I'd like to have 3 hot, horny chicks in my room with me right now, but do I? Just 'cause you want something to be true doesn't make it so.

    Oops, forgot to get that logical proof. I'm being called down to dinner, but I'll probably be back afterwards.

    -Gammix
    Last edited by gammix; 04-06-2009 at 11:13 PM.
    In memory of Zingoleb, who was a dumb*** and posted porn.

    Quote Originally Posted by mbstokem View Post
    First they let the blacks take our women now women can take our women?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichts View Post
    I'm looking for nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    Is it worth it to pretend to be a girl just to get some stuff?
    Depends on what the "stuff" is.

  14. #14
    Villager LAC1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    In exile from the Government...
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King Marcus View Post
    1). People who claim the bible contradicts itself have never really read it in context.
    2). Christianity is the one true religion (not catholocism, not protestantism, etc).
    Oh my...

    Catholicism and Protestantism are divisions of Christianity... As long as they beleive in Christ they are Christians... It's just that each division has a little different view...
    Viva Palin 216!!!
    And the Palin thing is a joke by the way. Don't take me seriously
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride_the_wave_renton View Post
    Am I some drunk vagabond gay guy with two slices of bread, one on each buttcheek, naked in a konga line?

  15. #15
    Farmhand mckenziecanread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    On this computer.
    Posts
    19

    Default Does it matter?

    A ridiculous amount of energy is expended by religionists to prove that their specific religion is right and that the others (including atheism/agnosticism) are wrong.

    A ridiculous amount of energy is expended by atheists and agnostics to prove to religionists that religion in general is wrong.

    Can't we all just get along?

  16. #16
    Philosopher Marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    where the river narrows/Beaver's lake
    Posts
    2,609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King Ben View Post
    Secondly, all cells come from other cells, so where did the first cell come from? God.
    Probably true. But maybe it stops from there. Maybe God doesn't care about us. Maybe he really doesn't care, and doesn't interfere with the universe at all. We'll never know, so we might as well not start cults and religions about something we don't know about. Deism FTW

  17. #17
    Philosopher Principal Brian Lewis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Langley Falls
    Posts
    7,728

    Default

    yeah religion sort of comes down to you personally everyone has a different view. and though you can try there is no way to actually prove who is right one way or another

    but needless to say many will just ignore this and try to prove to everyone that theres is the right religion
    Just for some laughs about it though watch the atheist sneeze as performed by dane cook
    Last edited by Principal Brian Lewis; 04-06-2009 at 11:15 PM.

  18. #18
    Philosopher PiəŻMąn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    >.>....<.<...STALKER!
    Posts
    1,851

    Default

    I think the main point of this is not saying that if you believe in a religion you're stupid. He's trying to say that all the different religions in the world causes a lot of horrible scenarios to happen, like war. It's fine to believe in a religion, and I don't think their stupid at all, but sometimes it's hard for others to accept religion causing out spurts of anger and violence. If there was either a single religion in the world or none at all there might not have been so much hatred throughout the world.

  19. #19
    Philosopher Hellstorm21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow killing the leprechaun who keeps stealing my gold
    Posts
    2,133

    Default

    That's what I'm trying to do, but Gammix won't listen.
    DDR isn't a game, it's a waste of time, space, energy, & programming skills.
    http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...ighterbig2.png

  20. #20
    Philosopher Nichts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    USS Yorktown
    Posts
    11,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gammix View Post
    Ah, but this is exactly what I mean. You may have had experiences that lead to your belief in the existence of a God (hell, I'm ashamed to admit, I believe in God), but there is no reason to have faith in any one specific religion. Honestly, with infinite possibilities for a God, what are the chances that any religion has it right?
    I won't be sticking around too long. I don't think anyway.

    My experiences have led me to believe that the Christian God is the correct one. After all, it is the Christian God I'm praying to.

  21. #21
    Philosopher Someoneelse2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burma!!!!!! I panicked. :(
    Posts
    1,794

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Nichts View Post
    Gammix... keep in mind that when you add up the number of Muslims, Jews, and Christians, you have a lot of people who have monotheistic beliefs.

    It's no secret that I'm a Christian. My belief in God doesn't just come from the Bible, or from what I heard someone say. Things have happened in my life which I can attribute to God. A non-believer will simply play them down as luck or chance, but they've happened enough for me to rule these things out.
    This.
    Also, one thing that makes me believe in God in general is how perfect the universe is. No one who has studied Biology and Science in general can deny that it is incredible how perfect things are in general. I take that as a sign that God created it. As for which God, for one thing, the Christian God gets the Wiki vote. Three of the major five religions believe in that same God. And there is very, very good evidence that Jesus did exist.
    -someoneelse2
    Quote Originally Posted by Palefreyman View Post
    Now that you're using words, I understand why you used pictures...
    Be back in August!

  22. #22
    Philosopher Hellstorm21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow killing the leprechaun who keeps stealing my gold
    Posts
    2,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nichts View Post
    I won't be sticking around too long. I don't think anyway.

    My experiences have led me to believe that the Christian God is the correct one. After all, it is the Christian God I'm praying to.
    Which 1?? There are several of them.
    DDR isn't a game, it's a waste of time, space, energy, & programming skills.
    http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...ighterbig2.png

  23. #23
    Philosopher jimjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Methinks thou hast a stick up thine arse.
    Posts
    2,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    Probably true. But maybe it stops from there. Maybe God doesn't care about us. Maybe he really doesn't care, and doesn't interfere with the universe at all. We'll never know, so we might as well not start cults and religions about something we don't know about. Deism FTW
    What exactly is Deism?

    I looked at Christianity, and found flaws in the god. And all Religions except one THAT I KNOW OF have a god or GOD LIKE figure. That's why I don't believe in a god, and I will expand on certain points if you want.

  24. #24
    Villager Saffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Epsom, London, England, The World
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King Marcus View Post
    1). People who claim the bible contradicts itself have never really read it in context.
    2). Christianity is the one true religion (not catholocism, not protestantism, etc).
    Your ignorance is startling, I personally have read the whole bible, not just extracts, and looking back on it I can safely say anyone who believes in it cant read. it is literally full of contradictions, implausibilities even for religion, and gaping loophole and missing points that the church just happes to not read out.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Ben View Post
    First of all, saying that the whole universe is the product of a big explosion is like saying that the President's heads on Mt. Rushmore are the product of chance erosion!

    Secondly, all cells come from other cells, so where did the first cell come from? God.

    Visit this website
    http://www.christiananswers.net/
    We have prove of our theories, that is why they are accepted in a fact based society, your prove is?
    and if you say us or why else are we here, I will hunt you down to punch you

    -Strict Atheist for morons out there.
    I don't really do sigs now, I'm busy and dislike it, (I go through phases of it) Might do them again sometime.
    Sig Gallery

  25. #25
    Philosopher Principal Brian Lewis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Langley Falls
    Posts
    7,728

    Default

    @ hellstorm
    there is one christian god in 3 parts all form of christianity belive in the same god

  26. #26
    Philosopher Someoneelse2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burma!!!!!! I panicked. :(
    Posts
    1,794

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Saffy View Post
    Your ignorance is startling, I personally have read the whole bible, not just extracts, and looking back on it I can safely say anyone who believes in it cant read. it is literally full of contradictions, implausibilities even for religion, and gaping loophole and missing points that the church just happes to not read out.
    I want examples! All of these contradictions you speak of have a theological explanation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palefreyman View Post
    Now that you're using words, I understand why you used pictures...
    Be back in August!

  27. #27
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Someoneelse2 View Post
    This.
    Also, one thing that makes me believe in God in general is how perfect the universe is. No one who has studied Biology and Science in general can deny that it is incredible how perfect things are in general. I take that as a sign that God created it. As for which God, for one thing, the Christian God gets the Wiki vote. Three of the major five religions believe in that same God. And there is very, very good evidence that Jesus did exist.
    -someoneelse2
    We get cramps while we are running because our liver is in the way of our lungs.

    The solar system will be liquefied in a billion years.

    The galaxy will be liquefied in three billion years.

    If Muslims and Christians and Jews believed in the same god, why do they kill each other over religious disputes.

  28. #28
    Philosopher Shenaynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    John Hopkin Univerity
    Posts
    8,649

    Default

    Humans are designed to want answers. Why do you think that Greeks and Romans had so many Gods that they worshiped? Whenever they found a new phenomena that could not be explained, bam, a new god. Why do grapes magically turn to wine? It must be Dionysus. Why are there seasons? It has to be Demeter.

    It has been like this for millions of years. It is even believed that our early anscestors believed in some form of a God. This is because people need to have things explained. It is man's curiosity that fuels the belief for a God. It is easier to label something as being done by some higher power than just casting it aside.

    However, with the passage of time, many questions have been answered through science, and religion has turned from the major focus of our lives to a secondary thought compared to that of science. Rather than defining the laws which bind everything around us together, it has become a guideline on how to be ethical, just and honest. That leaves a major question; why have a God to worship when everyone can simply follow these ethical laws without a God? In my opinion, it is fear. The thought of being damned to hell if you don't "follow the rules" causes people to forgive to God, repent for their sins, etc. Therefore, the thought of a God does have a purpose in my opinion. Its purpose is to make people adhere to ethical and moral standards much more than they usually would. If God makes people strive to be better, even through fear, it still has a useful purpose. While I am personally an agnostic, my opinion is that there are many pros to religion that outwiegh the cons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirveri View Post
    I would like to have a fertile female for a mate

  29. #29
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shenaynay View Post
    Humans are designed to want answers. Why do you think that Greeks and Romans had so many Gods that they worshiped? Whenever they found a new phenomena that could not be explained, bam, a new god. Why do grapes magically turn to wine? It must be Dionysus. Why are there seasons? It has to be Demeter.

    It has been like this for millions of years. It is even believed that our early anscestors believed in some form of a God. This is because people need to have things explained. It is man's curiosity that fuels the belief for a God. It is easier to label something as being done by some higher power than just casting it aside.

    However, with the passage of time, many questions have been answered through science, and religion has turned from the major focus of our lives to a secondary thought compared to that of science. Rather than defining the laws which bind everything around us together, it has become a guideline on how to be ethical, just and honest. That leaves a major question; why have a God to worship when everyone can simply follow these ethical laws without a God? In my opinion, it is fear. The thought of being damned to hell if you don't "follow the rules" causes people to forgive to God, repent for their sins, etc. Therefore, the thought of a God does have a purpose in my opinion. Its purpose is to make people adhere to ethical and moral standards much more than they usually would. If God makes people strive to be better, even through fear, it still has a useful purpose. While I am personally an agnostic, my opinion is that there are many pros to religion that outwiegh the cons.
    Religion is the opiate of the masses.

  30. #30
    Merchant Centre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    #us4
    Posts
    1,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
    What exactly is Deism?

    I looked at Christianity, and found flaws in the god. And all Religions except one THAT I KNOW OF have a god or GOD LIKE figure. That's why I don't believe in a god, and I will expand on certain points if you want.
    You don't believe in a God because most all religions have a God(s) figure?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicid View Post
    Religion is the opiate of the masses.
    I believe the accurate quote is Organized or mass religion. Please post an original thought or cite your quotations.

  31. #31
    Farmhand mckenziecanread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    On this computer.
    Posts
    19

    Default Moving from centrist to extremist...

    Quote Originally Posted by Someoneelse2 View Post
    I want examples! All of these contradictions you speak of have a theological explanation.
    John 1:18 "No man hath seen God at any time."

    -or-

    Genesis 32:30 "For I have seen God face to face."

    The latter was from Jacob, brother of Esau.
    Witty/artistic/quoted signature goes here.

  32. #32
    Villager Saffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Epsom, London, England, The World
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Someoneelse2 View Post
    I want examples! All of these contradictions you speak of have a theological explanation.
    Your wish is my command.
    PSA 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.

    JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.


    EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

    ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.


    MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

    LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.


    MAT 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

    MAR 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

    JOH 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.


    JOH 10:30 I and my Father are one.

    JOH 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.



    GEN 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
    GEN 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

    GEN 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
    GEN 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.


    Science 1,blind religion 0

    Nichts I can understand where you are coming from, I don't mind religion as a whole, people have free will blah blah blah, but what I don't understand is blind faith.
    I don't really do sigs now, I'm busy and dislike it, (I go through phases of it) Might do them again sometime.
    Sig Gallery

  33. #33
    Philosopher Someoneelse2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burma!!!!!! I panicked. :(
    Posts
    1,794

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicid View Post
    We get cramps while we are running because our liver is in the way of our lungs.

    The solar system will be liquefied in a billion years.

    The galaxy will be liquefied in three billion years.

    If Muslims and Christians and Jews believed in the same god, why do they kill each other over religious disputes.
    They are idiots. These people read the Bible or Koran and reinterpret it to fill a private agenda. Bang. Crusades/Jihad.

    Quote Originally Posted by shenaynay View Post
    Humans are designed to want answers. Why do you think that Greeks and Romans had so many Gods that they worshiped? Whenever they found a new phenomena that could not be explained, bam, a new god. Why do grapes magically turn to wine? It must be Dionysus. Why are there seasons? It has to be Demeter.

    It has been like this for millions of years. It is even believed that our early anscestors believed in some form of a God. This is because people need to have things explained. It is man's curiosity that fuels the belief for a God. It is easier to label something as being done by some higher power than just casting it aside.

    However, with the passage of time, many questions have been answered through science, and religion has turned from the major focus of our lives to a secondary thought compared to that of science. Rather than defining the laws which bind everything around us together, it has become a guideline on how to be ethical, just and honest. That leaves a major question; why have a God to worship when everyone can simply follow these ethical laws without a God? In my opinion, it is fear. The thought of being damned to hell if you don't "follow the rules" causes people to forgive to God, repent for their sins, etc. Therefore, the thought of a God does have a purpose in my opinion. Its purpose is to make people adhere to ethical and moral standards much more than they usually would. If God makes people strive to be better, even through fear, it still has a useful purpose. While I am personally an agnostic, my opinion is that there are many pros to religion that outwiegh the cons.
    I agree that fear in the afterlife is a big motivator, but it is also nice to have something to believe in, and to be able to ask God for guidance. It has really helped me a lot in life.
    (Woah, Crazy Christian alert!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Palefreyman View Post
    Now that you're using words, I understand why you used pictures...
    Be back in August!

  34. #34
    Philosopher Principal Brian Lewis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Langley Falls
    Posts
    7,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Someoneelse2 View Post
    And there is very, very good evidence that Jesus did exist.
    -someoneelse2
    theres no question jesus existed theres just a question of whether or not he was the true messiah

  35. #35
    Philosopher jimjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Methinks thou hast a stick up thine arse.
    Posts
    2,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Centre View Post
    You don't believe in a God because most all religions have a God(s) figure?



    I believe the accurate quote is Organized or mass religion. Please post an original thought or cite your quotations.
    Sorry. I added the second sentance after I typed the rest, and I guess I put it in the wrong place.

  36. #36
    Farmhand mckenziecanread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    On this computer.
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Someoneelse2 View Post
    I agree that fear in the afterlife is a big motivator, but it is also nice to have something to believe in, and to be able to ask God for guidance. It has really helped me a lot in life.
    (Woah, Crazy Christian alert!)
    It makes for good reassurance that something is out there, I could understand that. What has always escaped me, however, is how one can rely on God for guidance when he never answers.
    Witty/artistic/quoted signature goes here.

  37. #37

    Smile

    It is just information past on fro mancestors and what not. Somewhat it is bs but not moat of it. Depends on wh ou are i guess?
    B-Mac, from City of Colour.

    Alliance U.N.F

  38. #38
    Philosopher Hellstorm21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow killing the leprechaun who keeps stealing my gold
    Posts
    2,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saffy View Post
    Your wish is my command.
    PSA 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.

    JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.


    EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

    ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.


    MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

    LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.


    MAT 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

    MAR 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

    JOH 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.


    JOH 10:30 I and my Father are one.

    JOH 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.



    GEN 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
    GEN 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

    GEN 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
    GEN 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.


    Science 1,blind religion 0

    Nichts I can understand where you are coming from, I don't mind religion as a whole, people have free will blah blah blah, but what I don't understand is blind faith.
    Maybe God is some of those things, but maybe he's a bit of everything.
    DDR isn't a game, it's a waste of time, space, energy, & programming skills.
    http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...ighterbig2.png

  39. #39
    Philosopher Principal Brian Lewis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Langley Falls
    Posts
    7,728

    Default

    @mckenziecanread
    because some people believe he does
    me included

  40. #40

    Thumbs down

    I cant type...
    B-Mac, from City of Colour.

    Alliance U.N.F

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •