Thread: Someoneelse2's Guide to Reputation

Post Someoneelse2's Guide to Reputation

The Reputation System

Sections:
    I: What is "rep"?
    II: Why you're losing rep fast
    III: How to gain rep.

Section I: What is "rep"?

Reputation, or "rep," is, at it's simplest, a way for the forum community to give feedback on your posts. If they like your posts, you'll know... and if they hate you're posts, they'll make sure you know. This system is simple. For each post, people of a certain rank (I'll talk about that later) can choose to give or take reputation. They may then leave a comment, if they so choose (it is mandatory to leave a comment for negative reputation, but this is commonly gotten around with the comment ".") and their rep power is added or subtracted from the person they are repping's reputation. When negative repping, the person being repped looses half as much reputation as the person repping gives. In other words, your neg rep power is half as much as your plus rep power. THIS IS ALWAYS ROUNDED DOWN. As you start, your rep power, the amount of rep you give each rep, will be very small. However, as you wait, it will get higher. The formula for rep power is not known, except by a couple of posters who have found it out on their own. It is, however, known that time registered and total reputation factor in, as well as (maybe) post count. Please don't try to figure it out. It's complicated and gets you nowhere. Your reputation, as long as the last ten reps you received, can be viewed in the user control panel. In addition, there are colored bars directly under each users avatar. Green is positive, red is negative. The first 5 bars are worth 100 rep each, thus, a user with 300 rep will have 3 green bars, and a user with -200 will have 2 red bars. After you have 5 bars of either color, you will begin to get light colored bars, worth 200 rep. These max out at six, therefore, the max rep displayable is 1500, from 5 normal bars and 6 light ones. Following is a table or bars based on total rep.

1 dark green bar 1-99
    2 100-199
    3 200-299
    4 300-399
    5 400-499
    5 dark green bars and 1 light green bar 500-699
    2 light green bars 700-899
    3 900-1099
    4 1100-1299
    5 1300-1499
    6 1500+

A blue/gray bar is 0 rep

1 red bar is -1 to -99
    2 -100 to -199
    and so on.

Once you have achieved enough rep, as well as met post count and join dates, you will receive a rank up. Here is the list of ranks. Make sure to read the bottom post, as the top one is now outdated. This new rank allows minor privileges, such as PM box increases, except in one case. The first, major one is received upon becoming a tradesperson. This rank and all higher ones have the ability to leave reputation for other users. This is done by clicking the scales under a person's avatar, at the bottom left had corner of the post. Remember, you must leave a comment for any negative reputation. Please note that the ability to give reputation is disabled in the Dump section. And please, rep responsibly. No one wants a neg rep for a stupid reason, and rep abuse (such as making I rep you you rep me agreements with another user) can result in a ban, the loss of all reputation, and a further reduction of rep. People have gone from thousands of rep to minus two hundred in minutes, don't be stupid enough to try to beat the system.

In addition to the normal ranks with green names, a small number of users have been awarded ranks such as Architect, Playwright, and Ambassador. These are the highest ranks, excepting mods, that users can achieve. Each rank has made outstanding contributions to the community in their chosen sections, General/Ideas, General Chat, and The Embassies, respectively. Posters such as Wren, Ninja Squirrel, Narodnik, Jono, and Challenger are the top posters on the forums. If you want an example on how to post, there's no one better than them.
    *note* These posters can get away with more flaming/funny use of bad grammar than noobs can. I would be careful about emulating them too exactly.

If that wall of text was too much for you, here are a couple of reputation "scenarios" that illustrate some of the points above, mostly about the math of repping.

Player A makes a very, very bad post. Player B is a tradesperson who's rep power is 4. He gives neg rep to Player A, who looses 2 rep, because neg rep is half of rep power, and his rep power is 4. 4/2=2, so Player B's neg rep power is 2. Since player B is nice, he signs his derep "Player B."

Player A is really, really mad at Player B, so he decides to neg rep player B. His rep power is 7, so his negative rep power is 3, since 7/2=3.5, rounded down is 3. Player B, however, contacts Fighter (the admin), and player A is banned for rep abuse, as well as loosing all of his reputation. The rep is taken off of Player B's record.

Section II: Why you are losing rep fast

It's a sadly common thing on this forum; new players enter, and in a few days are deep in the negative red. There are almost always reasons for this. Here is a list of a couple of the main ones.
    1) Improper English. This is HUGE. Post like you have a brain. If you don't, get firefox and take advantage of the spell check it comes with. But don't post garbage, or your rep will go down faster than you would think possible.
    2) Anger Over Rep. It is considered bad form in these forums to grump about rep; it is not uncommon to be derepped for grumping. The only exception is the derepping complaints thread, and even there, be cautious. If you get overly angry/flame, you will be met with further dereps.
    3) Asking Bad Questions. This is a pet peeve of mine. Asking a question in the questions forum without even a basic search is crazy. If I see a "where's the rally point" thread, it is generally an automatic derep. A search of 2 minutes could have found the answer. If you search and don't find it, or the question is opinion, ask away.
    4) Stay on topic. This seems obvious, but you'd be surprised. Rambling off topic is never, ever good. Please note that an instant 180 degree shift is different from the thread gradually taking a new direction.
    5) Read Jacana's guide to intelligent posting. I'm not sure why it isn't stickied, but it has great information. Linky!
    6) Trying too hard. This especially involves writing a guide. No beggar has enough experience to write a guide, and even if you do, any attempt will be taken as an attempt to get rep, as well as a poor second to existing guides. However, this can apply in other places as well. Ignore rep as much as possible while posting; you'll be a better poster for it.
    NOTE: I'm not saying to ignore the comments in rep, only your wish to get more rep. It's a bad place to go.
    7) Double Posting: It is against the forum rules, and posters hate it. Use the EDIT button found in the bottom right hand corner of the post to avoid double posting.
    8) Never, ever, under any circumstances, ask for rep. It will come... negative.
    9) Do not overuse smileys. This guide is around 8-9000 characters, and uses ONE smiley. Avoid using multiple smileys in a row, and don't add random smileys to the end of a post.

Section III: How to get rep

The number one rule to getting rep is to not think about. This may seem redundant, but I can't stress it enough. While posting, humor is often good, but there is a time and place for it. The main thing is to keep your head down for a couple of weeks, and see how things work. As you get more confident and learn the many in's and out's of the Travian forums, your posts will get much, much better. Also, pick a section and stick to it. Trying to post all over the boards at first is a good way to get the bad everywhere with none of the good. For example, posting in questions is a good way to learn a lot about the game, as well as an extremely helpful thing to do. You'll meet lots of new people and learn the ropes a bit before posting in less forgiving areas. Whatever you do, stay out of the embassies as a noob. They are even nastier there () than the rest of the forum, and they will flame you until you're only a pile of ash.

All of this advice is valid, but ultimately, there is none, nor should there be, a guide to getting rep. Rep will come or it won't come, and all you can do is find a balance between being yourself and not irritating everyone else out of their seats. And whatever else happens, don't sweat it. It doesn't really affect your ability to post, and it therefore shouldn't be a huge deal to you.

Comments, suggestions, grammar/spelling problems? PM me and I'll get right on it!
    Last edited by Someoneelse2; 10-07-2009 at 11:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palefreyman View Post
    Now that you're using words, I understand why you used pictures...
    Be back in August!

You hippo, you have bad spelling yourself. "loosing", for example.

Also, you put Player A, player A in your scenario.

All in all, a good guide.

Banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Someoneelse2 View Post
    There is none, nor should there be, a guide to getting rep.
    I like this part.

An important note for newcomers to the forums is that you cannot give out rep until you have 100 posts. So if you're new to the forums and asking "How do I rep?" the simple answer is you can't.

Default more reasons

If you don't mind, I'd like to add a few more entries to the "Why you're losing rep fast" ...and yes, they are from personal experience. ...FYI this is not a grump

1. double posting (one post immediately after another)
    2. asking for + rep in your signature (poor taste)
    3. being the essence of fail (don't OVERLY broadcast your newbism)
    Last edited by icanseethroughyou; 09-03-2009 at 11:57 PM. Reason: modification
    Never go to bed angry, stay awake and plot your revenge.
    There is no "I" in "Team", but there are four in "Platitude-Quoting Idiot".

Quote Originally Posted by icanseethroughyou View Post
    If you don't mind, I'd like to add a few more entries to the "Why you're losing rep fast" ...and yes, they are from personal experience. ...FYI this is not a grump

1. double posting (one post immediately after another)
    2. asking for + rep in your signature (poor taste)
    3. being the essence of fail (don't OVERLY broadcast your newbism)
    I'm hessitant to post the third because I feel it leads to "trying too hard." The others are added though.
    Be back in August!

Quote Originally Posted by ONeilcool View Post
    An important note for newcomers to the forums is that you cannot give out rep until you have 100 posts. So if you're new to the forums and asking "How do I rep?" the simple answer is you can't.
    Ummm...I'm pretty sure he did in his section about being a tradesperson to give reputation out.
    Us8: Kamikrazy
    UsX: Black Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikrazy View Post
    Ummm...I'm pretty sure he did in his section about being a tradesperson to give reputation out.
    Would you (and the posters in general) rather I simply cut and paste the rank information in? I didn't think it would be worth the clutter, but maybe just the tradesperson rank information...
    Be back in August!

Banned.

Would you (and the posters in general) rather I simply cut and paste the rank information in? I didn't think it would be worth the clutter, but maybe just the tradesperson rank information...
    No. You posted a link to the thread, I think that's good enough.

No, it would increase the length of the guide to a very unnecessary amount. It's fine how it is in my opinion.

i dont know if u put this in it was a long messege but dont post if you are really bord and new if often leads to negitive rep . thats what i did and all these people started haiting on me.

Quote Originally Posted by tallboy View Post
    i dont know if u put this in it was a long messege but dont post if you are really bord and new if often leads to negitive rep . thats what i did and all these people started haiting on me.
    No, more then likely people dislike you because of your absolutely horrendous grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by tallboy View Post
    Based on this and you're other posts, you violate nearly every one of my suggestions. I doubt being bored has as much to do with it as a lack of use of the English Language.
    Be back in August!

Based on this and you're other posts, you violate nearly every one of my suggestions. I doubt being bored has as much to do with it as a lack of use of the English Language.
    I'm going to go ahead and start with "Have you seen a bored newbie with an IQ of 50 before?" and allow that to lead into: It's about time someone created a guide for rep. It may be the first sticky on the announcements page but if you search it in a general search you're hard pressed to find anything useful.

Hopefully this guide get's thrown up in the questions section or at least referenced from an obvious point.

Nice guide, Mr. Senator. If I wasn't out of rep to give until...sometime later thisevening...I would happily give you a personal demonstration of the +rep system (Not that you exactly need it with the detail level of this post it seems you and the system may be mildly aquainted[sp])

On a side note: I really need to update firefox for that spell-checker don't I? :P

Banned.

No, more then likely people dislike you because of your absolutely horrendous grammar.
    This.

Philosopher Principal Brian Lewis's Avatar

Hey i dont know for sure but you might want to go through the player A/B scenario again and make sure you put the A/B in the right place, but other wise quite good

Edit:Thought of this when i clicked submit, but maybe put something about not overusing smileys to avoid -rep

Quote Originally Posted by Gotmilk View Post
    Hey i dont know for sure but you might want to go through the player A/B scenario again and make sure you put the A/B in the right place, but other wise quite good

Edit:Thought of this when i clicked submit, but maybe put something about not overusing smileys to avoid -rep
    Thanks. I'll fix those now.
    Be back in August!

No, more then likely people dislike you because of your absolutely horrendous grammar and spelling.
    Fix't.

Based on this and your other posts, you violate nearly every one of my suggestions. I doubt being bored has as much to do with it as a lack of use of the English Language.
    Grammar fail. Zomg, you're a hippo Someoneelse2. When the Grammer Natzees leave for a second, this is what happens. Society begins to unravel and collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll&Hyde View Post
    Fix't.

Grammar fail. Zomg, you're a hippo Someoneelse2. When the Grammer Natzees leave for a second, this is what happens. Society begins to unravel and collapse.
    I'm not a hippo, I'm a person. And I'm trying to do geometry homework right now, so I'm not really concentrating as much as I could be.
    Be back in August!

Philosopher Principal Brian Lewis's Avatar

Thanks. I'll fix those now.
    Yayz i helped fix a guide

Tradesperson

Posters such as Wren, Ninja Squirrel, Narodnik, Jono, and Chanllenger are the top posters on the forums. If you want an example on how to post, there's no one better than them.
    Honestly, I wouldn't tell a newbie to post like Wren, he gets away with a lot of stuff(earned the right) that would get a newb flamed to death. Also a mild typo on name 5 there.
    In the end all things betray you.
    Honor, ideals, heroism.
    Allies, comrades, lovers.
    Your eyes, your limbs, your heart,
    and in the end, you betray yourself.
    That is the greatest betrayal of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerth View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't tell a newbie to post like Wren, he gets away with a lot of stuff(earned the right) that would get a newb flamed to death. Also a mild typo on name 5 there.
    I like being able to give examples, and to me, Wren is a great poster. The thing is, he gets away with what he gets away with by being useful at the same time. That's not too bad a model to folllow, in my opinion. I'll fix that typo right now.
    Be back in August!

Tradesperson

Quote Originally Posted by JD70 View Post
    On a side note, I thought Wren was a she and not a he.
    This bit of confusion does seem to occur quite a bit, so much in fact that I am really beginning to wonder why!
    In the end all things betray you.
    Honor, ideals, heroism.
    Allies, comrades, lovers.
    Your eyes, your limbs, your heart,
    and in the end, you betray yourself.
    That is the greatest betrayal of all.

Player A is really, really mad at Player B, so he decides to neg rep player B. His rep power is 7, so his negative rep power is 3, since 7/2=3.5, rounded down is 3. Player B, however, contacts Fighter (the admin), and player A is banned for rep abuse, as well as loosing all of his reputation. The rep is taken off of PlayerB's record.
    Tisk tisk, should have had an editor.
    Oh! Wait excuse me, I meant to say "US8" not ".TNT." I forgot they haven't renamed the server yet.

good guide
    After a little 2 year break, I'm back and on US8

u mirin' brah?

Just noticed that there's a typo in the thread title .
    "A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1336

I have never believed that the worst the human race has to offer should define what the best of us, or even the rest of us, should do.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyessa View Post
    Just noticed that there's a typo in the thread title .
    Fixed.

Adding to rep abuse from personal expirience's.

Like someoneelse said you don't need to work for rep it really mean's nothing at all.

1) Don' ask for rep.

2)If someone ask's you for rep don't do it, or you will be breaking a rule too.

That's all I can think of.

Just a pair of comments I'd like to make:
    7) Double Posting: It is against the forum rules, and posters hate it. Use the EDIT button found in the bottom right hand corner of the post to avoid double posting.
    Personally, I have no problem with double-posting as long as there is a large time gap between the posts. If it's been several hours, by all means, feel free to make a new post; if nothing else, it will likely go unnoticed if you edit it in after that long.

9) Do not overuse smileys. This guide is around 8-9000 characters, and uses ONE smiley. Avoid using multiple smileys in a row, and don't add random smileys to the end of a post.
    This is most definitely true. Whenever I see someone abusing those poor innocent smilies by doing things like reaching the image limit on a single-sentence post, I derep them... and I derep for about as much as a lot of high-rep members up-rep. I've also banned people for it in the past if they are repeat offenders, although that is usually when they are spamming threads with off-topic posts for the sole purpose of posting smilies.

I know I left my mark here once already, but it's SE2 so I've gotta comment

First, I'm honestly suprised that this (after it's mild editing) hasn't made it's way to the FAQ section yet. Even woden (our super-FAQ-mod) seems to like it.

Secondly, I read this a while ago so I could be speaking out of orifices aside from my mouth, the smiley comment should definitly be included if it's not.

[now for an aside of Xmillion smiley's to find out wodens true Derep power!!]
    [P.S. if it drops me all the way to beggar I'm going to laugh at his mighty-awesome-rep-powers]
    ......\`\ /`/
    .......\ V /
    ...... /. .\ The Failz-Bunnie
    .....=\ T /=
    ...... / ^ \
    ...{}/\\ //\
    .. __\ " " /__
    (____/^\____)

Quote Originally Posted by darkorps View Post
    First, I'm honestly suprised that this (after it's mild editing) hasn't made it's way to the FAQ section yet. Even woden (our super-FAQ-mod) seems to like it.
    I don't normally move any of the guides around; I just tag them for easy finding. >_>

[now for an aside of Xmillion smiley's to find out wodens true Derep power!!]
    [P.S. if it drops me all the way to beggar I'm going to laugh at his mighty-awesome-rep-powers]
    My rep power is about +65/-32 (Rep formula had a change I wasn't previously aware of)
    Last edited by Woden; 10-09-2009 at 07:28 PM.

I know I left my mark here once already, but it's SE2 so I've gotta comment

Sorry, I would have commented sooner, but I was on a bacation to the banhamas.

And @ Woden: I agree that time between double posts is significant, but many users don't bother to check and will just derep anyway.
    Be back in August!

Quote Originally Posted by kookoo View Post
    Tisk tisk, should have had an editor.
    No, he's trying to subliminally tell us Fighter is a bad admin and bans the wrong person. And, uh, he's doing this because he doesn't support fighter in the mod survivor thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Che View Post
    why can't women drive?

Quote Originally Posted by supercomputers View Post
    No, he's trying to subliminally tell us Fighter is a bad admin and bans the wrong person. And, uh, he's doing this because he doesn't support fighter in the mod survivor thing.
    /is flattered someone bothered writing a conspiracy theory about me
    Be back in August!

Player A makes a very, very bad post. Player B is a tradesperson who's rep power is 4. He gives neg rep to Player A, who looses 2 rep, because neg rep is half of rep power, and his rep power is 4. 4/2=2, so Player B's neg rep power is 2. Since player B is nice, he signs his derep "Player B."

Player A is really, really mad at Player B, so he decides to neg rep player B. His rep power is 7, so his negative rep power is 3, since 7/2=3.5, rounded down is 3. Player B, however, contacts Fighter (the admin), and player B is banned for rep abuse, as well as loosing all of his reputation. The rep is taken off of Player A's record.
    This is a very nice guide, Someone, thank you. I just have one question about this story here. Player A dereps B for derepping him, so Player B reports him. Why does player A have the rep taken off his record?
    I smash you!

Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    Just because I tell you something, doesn't make it true.

Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    This is a very nice guide, Someone, thank you. I just have one question about this story here. Player A dereps B for derepping him, so Player B reports him. Why does player A have the rep taken off his record?
    He doesn't it's a typo. Player B should have the rep changed.
    Be back in August!

Sometimes, I'm like Mary Worth. Say my name and here I come.

Honestly, I wouldn't tell a newbie to post like Wren, he gets away with a lot of stuff(earned the right) that would get a newb flamed to death.
    I like being able to give examples, and to me, Wren is a great poster. The thing is, he gets away with what he gets away with by being useful at the same time. That's not too bad a model to folllow, in my opinion. I'll fix that typo right now.
    I earned most of my credit as a 'good poster' because of my contributions to the questions and ideas forums. Somehow, I've become one of the 'final word' sources for many questions. It's not an undesirable status, but one that I didn't exert myself too hard to get.

My posts in the s3 politics forum have been an entirely different story, where those not in my alliance have given me (probably justifiably) the reputation as elitist, sarcastic, and mean. I argue.... that's politics baby!

This bit of confusion does seem to occur quite a bit, so much in fact that I am really beginning to wonder why!
    Wren is now an uncommon girl's name. It's also possible that they decide a small bird is too cute a tag for a guy. Of course, my username has nothing to do with either.

Anyway, I've run out of multi-quotes, so i'll just say it here without one. As soon as Nictsypoo gets me set up, I'll look in moving this post to the guides forum it belongs in.
    Retired.
    s3r2: Deakon - Nemesis/WFTW (winnarz!!) ...... s6r2: Anon - CD (lulz, failtrain)...... s1r4: Trogdor - 7RU