Thread: Hawkman’s Guide to Gauls

Default Hawkman’s Guide to Gauls

1. INTRODUCTION:

Thanks and lots of credit goes to the veterans who have gone before me, much of whose work this guide is based upon. I have added in some of my own methods as well as expanding upon and giving more detailed instruction to the beginner. Your critique is welcomed.

If you have never played Travian before I recommend reading this guide all the way through before you start.

I don’t pretend to be an expert or even a veteran player – this guide is intended to help the brand new player get started and is only for the beginning portions of the game which is the part that I am very familiar with. There are many fine guides around already but not everyone is able to meet the demands required to get their second village during the first week of play – this guide is for the rest of us. It is for aggressive players ONLY – just not as aggressive as some of the other guides.

Please forgive my occasionally saying “you” and other times saying “we”. I go back and forth on this like the nut that I am

A NOTE ABOUT TIMELINES: Unlike other guides I did not put any timelines in here. I figure your timeline will vary based on a number of factors thus I have left it up to the reader to set their own timeline. Some may want to go 24/7 with no sleep and get this entire guide done in the first week – but tbh most people don’t play that way (unless they are Teutons lol). I feel that putting in a timeline that expects that of someone leads to being disappointed with your own performance and that is not my goal. Don’t expect to get a lot of sleep for the first few days however .

NOTE ABOUT GOLD: I find it nearly impossible to follow this guide without buying at least a little gold. I tend to be very frugal with my gold use, however, and typically just buy the 100 gold option.

2. GETTING STARTED:

Everything in this guide is based upon starting your account at LEAST 3 days after server start and most beginners start much later than that (more because they don't know any better than for any other reason). You want to start raiding immediately so you need people out of BP. I actually prefer waiting till at least a week or 2 after the server starts – otherwise you wind up with a lot of experienced players around you and we want to take advantage of newbs who don’t know what they are doing yet NOTE: I have started 2 months after server start and done great – but those who are interested in the end game and competing for a WW may find this puts them at a severe disadvantage. Seek advice from more experienced players on this subject.

Ok so you just created your account, what do you do next? See that questmaster (taskmaster on some servers) to your right? Click on him and select the option to SKIP all quests and just have the resources shipped to you. Then make sure you fetch the resources as quickly as they come in starting with the free gold available immediately. You will get slightly less resources this way but you will get off to a MUCH faster start.

We are going to get off to a VERY fast start and you will far outpace your neighbors when it comes to growth. This means raiding (farming) and NOT working on resource fields. In fact the ONLY time (until you are getting ready to go after your second village) that you want to work on resource fields is when you HAVE to build up your wheat fields. There will be more discussion about wheat in section 6.

Ok we need to get our troops up as quickly as possible. You will want to decide now if you are going to buy gold or not as it will make a difference in how you proceed.

Option 1 for non gold buyer – saving all your gold for the NPC. Time to raid aprox. 2-3 hours

Build (in this order):

Main Building 2 (queue next item)
    Rally Point (queue next item)
    Main Building 3
    Barracks
    2 Phalanx

You should have free PLUS for a day so you can keep 2 buildings in the queue when able.

Option 2 for gold buyer OR non gold buyer– Quick start (I prefer this method). Time to raid about an hour

- Build Main Building to Level 2 – spend 2 gold to instabuild (click on the “plus” button, click on “gold”, scroll down to instabuild and click on it to instantly complete your MB).
    - Build MB to lvl 3 – Instabuild
    - Build Rally point (I recommend saving at least 9 gold for NPC so skip the instabuild here as it is one of the faster builds)
    - Build Barracks – Instabuild
    - Train 2 Phalanx

Option 3 is for gold buyers – just instabuild everything up to this point. Raiding in under 15 min.

Ok – so that will put you at 0 wheat production. Not to worry – you will be getting lots of wheat from your raids. Speaking of raids – time to go. Find a village with a population of 2 and send your phalanx out to raid some goodies from them. Don’t worry, nobody will be home. This should be the only time you send out only 2 troops.

Most likely everyone around you is in Beginner’s Protection so you will have to travel a long ways to find someone you can raid. It will probably take several hours for the round trip. That’s ok – you will be busy touring your neighborhood while the troops are away.

3. TOURING THE NEIGHBORHOOD:

NOTE: An inactive player coming off of BP (Beginner’s protection) will have maxed out their storage and have 800 of each resource just lying around waiting for you – that’s 3200 resource total. You need to make a list of these villages so you can hit them immediately – if you arrive second you lose. Until you get bigger though make SURE you are only raiding villages with a population of 8 or less. Any more than that and they will at least have a rat and possibly some troops waiting at home.

Ok – while the troops are away we are going to make a list (I prefer an excel spreadsheet) of all of our neighbors in our 20x20. While you fill out the spreadsheet make a separate list, by date and time, of which villages are coming off of BP so that you can be on top of them.

I like to identify villages according to quadrant. If you go to your map you will notice 4 arrows bunched together down in the lower right corner. These arrows will move you an entire quadrant every time you click on them. Your 21x21 would be composed of 9 7x7 quadrants with you being in the exact center. I like to number them as follows: 1 click NW and 1 click NE = quadrant 1, due NE of you is quadrant 2, 1 click NE and 1 click SE is quadrant 3, due NW of you is 4, your area is 5, due SE is 6, 1 click NW and 1 click SW is quadrant 7, due SW is 8, and 1 click SW 1 click SE is quadrant 9.

Starting with Quadrant 1 click on each of the villages in that area and note their location, the name of the village, which tribe it is, their current population, and whether or not it’s in BP (if it IS in BP you can hover your mouse over the area where it says “player is in beginner’s protection” and it will give you the time and date they come out – put this on your raid list for the appropriate day). Continue this process till you have all 9 quadrants listed. This is YOUR domain and your goal is to dominate this area. Keep an eye on this quadrant as more villages will likely be added in the next few days.

Once your raiding party has returned you should have enough resources to build another Phalanx. Do so, wait for it, then send all 3 back out on another raid. At this point, if you are finished with your list and aren’t building anything it might be a good idea to take a nap – you are going to need it. Set your alarm if you do so you can be back at the PC when your raid gets back home again.

From now on you should be sending out raiding parties of 3-5 phalanx. Keep sending out your troops and building more phalanx (checking for shipments from the taskmaster as needed) until you have built up.

4. BEGINNER'S PROTECTION added 11/30/2009

Ok before you get too busy it's time to talk about your own Beginner's Protection status. You need to watch it carefully as you will have people trying to farm/raid you as soon as it drops - be ready. I realized after creating this guide that, since I had you skip the quests, you had no way to tell what your own BP status was so I am including instructions here for figuring that out. IMPORTANT: 8-10 hours before your BP status ends make SURE you go to part 2 of this guide and read the section titled "Losing Your Protection".

Now we are going to add something to your profile called the "Peace Dove". This is a graphic that looks like and it will tell you how long you have till your BP drops if you hover your mouse over it.

a) Click on the link on your left sidebar that says "Profile"
    b) Now click on the link that says "Edit Profile" (should be right below your location)
    c) You will have 2 large blank white areas, 1 to the right and 1 below your village name - click in one of these and type [#0] - that is Bracket, Pound sign, Zero, Bracket... or just copy and paste it frome here.

[#0]

d) while you are in your profile you may as well change the name of your village to something that you like
    e) Click on "OK" at the bottom and you are done. Now if you hover your mouse over the picture of a dove you will see how many hours of BP you have left

5. TIME TO BUILD

By now you are probably getting close to maxing out your wheat capacity so it’s time to build a granary. If your Iron is also getting close to capacity then you need to build a warehouse as soon as the granary is finished. I am assuming that any time the game tells you that you MUST build a wheat field first you will do so….

Now it’s time to start paying attention to the villages coming off of BP. Again - make sure you are only raiding villages with population of 8 or less - this includes those coming off of BP. Your resources will fill up fast at this point so make sure you get a market built ASAP.

You should have at least 10 phalanx built by now.

Keep on raiding (make sure you are prioritizing anyone coming off of BP and raid them until they run out of resources). Keep 1 battle report from every village you raid. When you send a party out to that village delete the battle report (you will get a new one after the attack) this way you always know who to raid next.

Once your iron and/or wheat levels start getting close to capacity it’s time to NPC. Click on PLUS, click on Gold, scroll to the bottom and click on “to the marketplace”. This costs you 3 gold and lets your rearrange all your resources the way you want to. You will need to do a little math to figure out how to get the most phalanx built with the amount of resources you have and then…. Yep. Build more phalanx and do more raids.

Cont. in next post
    Last edited by Zendarin; 02-28-2010 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Fixed typos

Default Hawkman's Guide to Gauls (part 2)

6. NEGATIVE WHEAT

Most veterans will tell you that you MUST be running negative wheat as it means less resources spent on building fields and more spent on training troops. I have mixed feelings on this.

If you are not a gold buyer and cannot NPC your resources to produce more wheat in an emergency you may want to be very careful about how far negative you go.

Normally, especially if you are continually raiding players just coming out of BP, you will have so much wheat it’s running out of your ears and you can go as negative as the game will let you. However, you may find yourself in a situation where there are just no villages coming out of BP anywhere reasonably close (within a few hours) and you are getting lots of resources from your other raids but no wheat. You may even have your wheat so low you can’t build any wheat fields and your troops are going to start starving.

At this point my suggestion to you would be scramble to come up with $5-6 to buy gold with so you can NPC. Your other option is to NOT go negative wheat – you will build MUCH MUCH slower if that is your decision. It’s up to you.

Once you have got your second village up and running you can start working on all your resource fields in village 1.

7. SECOND BUILDING PHASE

What’s next? BUILD MORE PHALANX

Keep on building phalanx as quickly as you can, NPC when needed to maximize troop building, and keep raiding. Especially those coming out of BP. You will notice the villages coming out of BP will be getting closer and closer to you – ride the wave.

Start raiding with groups of 5 Phalanx now and it’s time to start picking on a little larger target. Continue to raid ANYONE with a village of 8 or less (they may have a rat at 9 pop and it could cost you a phalanx).

Romans are expensive to build so they are probably safe up to about 30 pop.

Teutons with fewer than 60 pop are probably building maces only and, if they even have any at home, they are terrible at defense. If you are worried about running in to defense test it out with a bit larger group of Phalanx for the first run.

Do NOT attack any larger Gauls at this time – they could have a trapper. There are no prerequisites for a trapper and with just 1 built up to lvl 10 they could have as many as 200 traps. You don’t want to lose your entire army because you can’t get them out of someone’s traps.

As soon as you start pushing towards overflowing your granary/warehouse and you have troops queued up you will want to upgrade your granary to about lvl 3 and your warehouse to lvl 4.

When someone comes out of BP send everything you have got to that village immediately. Soon you will have 40-60 phalanx built up and you can start taking more advantage of these. When your troops get back send as many as you need to again to clear them out. It takes 91 phalanx to gather all 3200 resources from one of these villages so figure out how many you need to send back.

Eventually you will be able to send 91 phalanx at a time to these villages and collect all 3200 resources at once - I am greedy and don't like to share I like to get a little over 100 phalanx built up so that I can send the large war party to those just coming out of BP and still keeping smaller groups rotating through my farms.

You should have somewhere between 50-60 phalanx built by this time so now it’s time to start teching up to get your Theutates (Too-TAYT-ees) Thunders (hereafter referred to as TTs).

While continuing to build Phalanx you will need to build (in no particular order):

Barracks to level 3
    Academy to level 5
    Blacksmith to level 3
    Stable to level 3
    Warehourse to level 4
    Granary to level 3

8. TT FOR YOU

Finally it’s time to start building your TT”s. These will be your bread and butter from now on. TT's cover distances more than twice as fast as a Phalanx and the are FAR better at attacking, and they carry a lot more in resources. Phalanx are primarily a defensive troop and are better used staying home and protecting the village once you have enough TT's to handle all your raiding.

For awhile you will need to be using both Phalanx and TT’s for your raiding (not in the same group though please). Keep using your large force of 91 phalanx for villages coming out of bp and send out raiding parties with your TT's and extra phalanx until you have enough TT's to help with the BP villages.

You only need 43 TT's to carry away ALL 3200 resources so as soon as you have 22 TT's buile make them a BP raiding party also - if you have a good farming location you are probably WAY behind by now on the villages coming out of protection so it's time to start catching up. You can make 2 trips with 22 TT's in the same amount of time your phallanx take to make 1 trip.

Keep your queue full to turn out more TT's - you should be turning out slightly less than 2 per hour as they take about 33.5 minutes to train. While you crank out TT's you will be building up as expained in the next section, "Time to Build part 3".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TRICK TO SAVE GOLD: Since I am cheap I look for ways to keep from using the NPC when I don't have to. One way is to sell things on the market. No one is better at selling than Gauls due to our fast merchants. We will often appear near the top of the list because of our shorter travel times. Marketing falls outside the scope of this guide however.

You will be using a LOT of clay to build your TT's so this is where I like to build up my clay fields to about level 3 or so. This will spend down all your other resources leaving you lots of clay which you will go through quickly as you train TT's
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once you have enough TT's to handle all your BP villages you will want to just use phalanx for close to home raiding and use the TT's for those farms that are farther away from you as they will cover the distance quickly. As your force of TT’s grows you can actually start pushing farther out to find farms and villages coming off of BP. You can actually go 5-6 quadrants away from you and still get there in under 2 hours.

TT’s are expensive so be very careful still for awhile who you are raiding. Stick with the smaller pop villages and NO GAULS NO GAULS NO GAULS. Traps will take you out of the game quickly if you don't have a large enough army to deal with them and there is no way to tell how many traps they have.

Once I get a dozen or so TT’s built I actually like to get my Hero’s mansion built and train a TT hero. Put 5 points into attack and take all your TT’s and your Hero and go dish it out to some of the Teuton’s in your neighborhood (since we haven't built scouts still only attack if they have 60 or less pop). Try to catch them with maces at home as you will wipe them out. Be careful not to attack too large a teuton though – chances are they won’t have spears yet if they are under 60 pop but if the DO you are in trouble. Losing your TT’s this early hurts. Send your Hero along with your TT's on any BP village raids where they have more than 8 pop - you never know when you might score some extra experience points for your Hero.

Once your TT's start helping on the BP villages (assuming you are in a good farm area with little competition) you will start bringing in more resources than you can handle. Build up your warehouse and granary as needed and keep on cranking out those TT’s until you have at least a hundred of them.

9. Time to Build part 3

While keeping your queue full for training TT's start working on the buildings you will need for your first party.

MB level 10 - NOTE: This is where I find it VITALLY important to buy some gold. It takes over 2 hours per level to build up your main building at this point and it's just unrealistic to keep enough TT's queued up so that you don't overflow your warehouse and granary. It just doesn't work. I cough up the gold here and instabuild levels 6-10 of the MB.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GOLD SAVING TRICK: Here you will start using HUGE amounts of wood, so, just like we built up the clay fields to level 3 before it's now time to build up the woodcutter's fields to level 3 thus spending down our other resources.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Residence level - 1 NOTE: You want a residence here, not a palace. You will be building your palace in your cropper and making that your capital. We want this built now so we can start earning the culture points needed to settle a second village. We will finish the levels later.

Embassy level 1 (for the culture points)
    Warehouse level 8, Granary level 7-8
    Academy level 10
    Town Hall

Throw a small party (Now you will see why we needed to build up the warehouse. try to keep a party going in your town from now on).

Now build your Residence up the rest of the way to level 10
    Warehouse lvl 9, Granary lvl 8-9
    Train 3 settlers

During this phase is also when you want to get the rest of your resource fields up. Try to get all your fields up to about lvl 7 by the time you move.

10. Losing My Protection

Ok so you have 8-10 hours now until your BP drops, time to prepare. Once you are out of BP you WILL be raided. The only question is when.

You do have some advantages, however, as you are clearly an active player at this point and you are a gaul which some players are intimidated to raid (for good reason). However, some will raid. Either they are big enough to squash you or they are Teutons and can throw a wall of maces at you if you happened to be one of the Gauls who built traps. Personally I don't recommend building traps at this stage of the game.

So how do we prepare for incoming raids? Well you really have 4 options.

a) Protect Your Resources. Basically this means building crannies. Gauls get twice as much protection from crannies as the other tribes do so this is good. You can build a crannie up to level 10 and it will protect 2000 of each resource (1600 only if the raider is Teuton). Definitely build at least 1 crannie up to lvl 10 if you are choosing this option but I wouldn't build more than 2 - it's overkill and you will wind up having to tear the crannies down later to make room. If you have over 3200 resources spend your resources on something to keep them below the limit - you don't EVER want a raider getting any of your resources OR killing any of your troops (this can give them Hero experience). If they ever get either of these 2 things the raids will never stop.

With this option you will simply dodge ALL incoming raids and attacks. This means spending a lot of time online or else getting a sitter or dual to help you with the account. At bed time you can send all your troops out to a low (below 9) population village that is 4-5 hours away - that's an 8-10 hour round trip giving you time to sleep.

b) Defend Yourself By this time in the game you should have over 100 Phalanx so you may decide to simply defend against incoming attacks. IMPORTANT: Only choose this option if you are on a server that is less than 3 weeks old. If you are on a much older server it's ok to keep playing as you will continue to learn but look for a new server starting so that you can join as soon as it starts.

If you want to be defensive at this point build up your palisade to at least level 10 or higher and also make sure your Residence is built. Gauls get great defensive bonuses and if you are on a server less than 3 weeks old chances are no one is going to being able to field enough troops to overcome your defense. Teutons may have some huge armies of Maces, however, so if you see a large pop Teuton headed your way right after your BP drops you should probably dodge it.

c) Combination of a) and b) This is actually my preferred choice. Why? It's better to rely on your crannies early game and just dodge - if you have a residence and a palisade raiders will throw 3-5 troops at you and loose 2 or 3 of them. If they get NO resources and lose a couple troops every time they hit you they won't keep hitting you. Simple as that. This is also true in most cases on an older server. You probably won't keep getting raided with this strategy unless you either ticked off a large player or were unlucky enough to spawn inside his 20x20 and he just wants to get rid of you.

Sometimes you will need to defend. For example when you are saving up for those expensive settlers it may not be a good time to spend down - keep ALL your phalanx at home in this case and (if you can afford it) keep your hero at home as well. Why? Because you will get Hero experience for any of the incoming troops that you kill. If your Hero dies you will get a lot of experience for that as well. Just make sure you haven't put all your points into defensive because if your Hero levels those points are stuck there.

d) Become A Farm No explanation needed.

A note about scouts: If you ARE on an older server while you wait for a new one to open you will probably want to take time away from your preparations to research and train some Pathfinders. Train at least 5 and keep them in your village at all times - this way you will know if a large player has scouted you. If a large player scouts you and then launches an attack DODGE!!! It means they know what defenses you have and are probably coming with a large enough force to wipe your troops out.

As long as you're building scouts you may as well go ahead and build another 15 and send them out (all together) spying on some of the larger pop villages in your area. Find those macemen sitting at home (WITHOUT spears - they will tear you up) and go give them a lesson

11. Time to Move

Ok so you have your 3 settlers built and your culture points are up to at least 2000? Great.

Make sure your market is up to at least level 4 for feeding your new home.

Select a cropper (or a 5 clay right next to a cropper) with at least a couple of wheat oasis nearby (100% wheat bonus or higher if you can get it – 25% or more clay is also good) and go settle it. If possible try to make the cropper reasonably close to your spawn to reduce supply times.

Time to raise all your resource field back in your spawn village up to lvl 10 and get things like flour mill, bakery, etc. built. Your spawn village will be a feeder for you for now and possibly your raiding hub.

Well this is as far as I go with this guide. Good luck and enjoy your adventures in Travian.

Z
    Last edited by Zendarin; 12-01-2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Added info about TT's

A very basic guide... but still assumes a bit of knowledge on the part of the reader for how basic it is.

The note to only raid 8 pop or less should be in bold friggin letters in '3. Touring the Neighborhood'. Instead it is only mentioned later in '6. Second Building Phrase'. A newbie (the only person who would benefit from this guide) following this to the letter would likely be losing their raiding force right away thinking that someone who is coming out of BP is easy pickings. A newbie likely won't know whether someone is inactive since newbies aren't familiar with population tracking tools, and may get some nasty surprises by people who have only been building troops and wheat fields for the last couple days.

For a non-instant build user there is no good reason that the rally point comes before main building 3. You might as well get the main building to 3 for that ever so slight speed edge.

Getting 100 TTs without having scouts is madness. I want to know what teutons are easy hero XP and which ones are spear pits. I also want to know what gauls have no troops (and thus likely are easy pickings for me to not worry about traps), and what romans are doing. The thing about gauls raiding is that it really really hurts to lose troops early on, and a little bit of intel goes a long way.

The virtue of TTs as raiders is not explained, and probably should be since this is a beginner's guide only. With them you can get to the inactive players leaving beginner protection before any macemen can hope to pick them clean (43 TT's per village, but I got a pleasant treat once on a 3 pop village who only had build a warehouse). Also with the advent of rally point limitations in 3.6, it is nice to be able to cycle out your raiders faster and farther to avoid having to improve your rally point.

Also there is no mention of a cranny or protecting troops with long distance raids. Unless this is a 24/7 account (and I still get a level 1 cranny even then) then you are likely setting someone up to be a farm once they have one bad event occur, either attacking someone they should not... or being attacked by someone else... either of which, this guide does not set the newbie player up with the knowledge to counteract or recover from. So basically, you are suggesting newbies set out to become hardcore raiders (no field upgrades until 100 TTs, that's clik-level bravado!), and then fail.

If you want to make an extremely basic guide, then you may as well just trim it down so it can be copied into a notepad easily. Give build orders and NPC cost equivalents so that you can refer to it quickly and cut out the jibber jabber.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    The note to only raid 8 pop or less should be in bold friggin letters in '3. Touring the Neighborhood'. Instead it is only mentioned later in '6. Second Building Phrase'. A newbie (the only person who would benefit from this guide) following this to the letter would likely be losing their raiding force right away thinking that someone who is coming out of BP is easy pickings. A newbie likely won't know whether someone is inactive since newbies aren't familiar with population tracking tools, and may get some nasty surprises by people who have only been building troops and wheat fields for the last couple days.
    A very good point - we are talking about newbs here after all. FIXED.

A very basic For a non-instant build user there is no good reason that the rally point comes before main building 3. You might as well get the main building to 3 for that ever so slight speed edge.
    Actually there is a reason - it allows you to keep 2 items queued up for building so you don't have to watch the long slow process of building as though you have nothing better to do. To me this is far more important than the minute or so you save the other way - and anyone who isn't watching closely will probably lose that minute and then some anyways.

Getting 100 TTs without having scouts is madness. I want to know what teutons are easy hero XP and which ones are spear pits. I also want to know what gauls have no troops (and thus likely are easy pickings for me to not worry about traps), and what romans are doing. The thing about gauls raiding is that it really really hurts to lose troops early on, and a little bit of intel goes a long way.
    I think Nailzz summed this one up when he criticized someone elses Teuton guide for HAVING scouts this early. You don't need to scout Gauls, you won't be raiding them yet anyways. Scouting reports don't tell you whether or not they have traps so DON'T take chances. No gauls. I also mentioned that Romans with less than 30 likely won't have troops yet and it is VERY doubtful that any Teuton with less than 50 troops has invested in spears yet.

You do have a bit of a point, there MIGHT be some teutons with spears this early, but the resources spent on researching and building scouts this early would be better spent getting to your 2nd village. Then you can buiild up your scouts.

All things being said this is a matter of preference - not scouting the Teutons is a bit riskier (as I clearly mentioned in the guide) yet with 5 different accounts I have never run in to spears where the Teuton player had less than 50 pop,

The virtue of TTs as raiders is not explained, and probably should be since this is a beginner's guide only. With them you can get to the inactive players leaving beginner protection before any macemen can hope to pick them clean (43 TT's per village, but I got a pleasant treat once on a 3 pop village who only had build a warehouse). Also with the advent of rally point limitations in 3.6, it is nice to be able to cycle out your raiders faster and farther to avoid having to improve your rally point.
    You are right - this would be helpful. I will add this in when I have some time later today.

Also there is no mention of a cranny or protecting troops with long distance raids.
    Not mentioning crannies is an oversight on my part and I will fix that. As far as the long distance raids goes while you sleep, however, there is no need. This guide is designed to get you ready for a second village by the time you get out of BP. Tactics like this are wasted time while you are in BP. I think I will make mention of it in the last section, however, as some people may not be aggressive enough.

Personally I don't bother with the long distance raids with a Gaul. By the time I am out of BP I usually have about a 100 phalanx sitting at home and unless you are dealing with someone who is a LOT bigger than you it is pretty rare that you will ever get a raid sent your way bigger than about 10.

I have started on 5 different servers, was Gaul on 4 of them, and I never had a problem with this. Sure I got hit with some raids when I came out of BP but typically all the raiders died and it was the last time I get raided by that person.

If you are on a server that is 6 months along, as I was on my first time, then it is a whole different ball game.

At any rate - I will add something in at the end about this.

As far as this being a basic guide - yes it is designed for the brand new player. I want it to be simple and easy to follow yet have enough step by step info to help anyone just starting out. For this reason I choose not to trim it down.

Thank you very much for your critique - you made some very helpful suggestions.

Z

I'd respectfully disagree on the scouts, though I grant that it is a matter of preference in strategy (so 'madness' was probably a bit over the top)

I use them to monitor when other players are active and not (i.e. when are they spending), and who around me is a raiding competitor that needs to be eliminated pronto, and who I am gonna hafta wait until I have swords to deal with em (romans with too many legs, gauls with too many phalanxes, teuts with too many spears). You can also check for rats to see who is a virgin farm and who is not. I figure if a scout saves me just a little bit of resources or raiding time, then they pay for themselves. If a scout saves me a lot of troops, then they pay for themselves many times over. Finding players who are saving up to research cavalry is always hot and sexy.

I haven't played with 3.5 trappers in the early game yet, so perhaps I am not respecting them enough. I always have had enough troops by the time I have thunders that if a gaul has no troops, then I did not fear their potential for traps at all since I could just free my thunders with phalanxes. By the by, you ought correct your number of traps for a level 10 trapper. It is actually 154 traps, not 200.

I hate avoiding 1/3 of my potential farms and will hit gauls if it looks worth the risk. Excepting pop-counting the only way to begin to evaluate that risk is via scouting. But on to pop counting...

Consider that a gaul with <50 population almost certainly does not have a very high level trapper if they have no troops. They will have some population tied up in resource fields and the trapper is a very pop-heavy building. If they have a level 10 trapper, then that is 27 population right there. With a main building, rally point, and level 1 fields, that comes out to 31 population just for some minimal resource infrastructure. If they have level 2 fields at all (as the quest tells them to do), or a marketplace then they certainly do not have a high level trapper since there isn't enough population room for it. So if you scout no troops repeatedly, then you can usually raid em to the ground even in 3.5+

On a non-speed server I do not believe that you will be ready to settle a new villa just out of B.P. Heck you would need at least 2 days to party and I am not buying that you can get 100 phalanxes, thunders, and 2 parties all before you exit BP. No way. Cannot be done. Expect a visit from the multihunter if you pull that off.

I'd imagine that the best a gaul is gonna get their 2nd village by on a non-speed server is around 6-7 days (getting thunders is a hefty delay compared to teuts who can go straight from maces to parties), and that will usually be only the 24/7 accounts or the ones who had great luck on their farming. Less efficient players will more likely take at least 10 days to get to their 2nd villa. Less active and less efficient players may well take longer than 2 weeks, and much, much, much longer if they hit any bumps in the road.

The less active a player is then the less they can raid and the slower their raiding force becomes (and the more wheat it eats per raiding income), and if they are too slow in building forces then they are gonna get hit hard. Having 100 phalanxes when you exit a 3-day BP on a non-speed server is pretty amazing and not to be expected for most players, even experts. Heck, I had a 24/7 dual account and we had about 50 phalanxes as we exited BP... our raiding area wasn't great, but we made the absolute best of it that we could. A non-dual that is not as active is more likely to be sitting with 20-30 phalanxes tops assuming they make no mistakes and get some successful raids while in BP. And the less troops they have, the slower they will grow. If you grow too slowly then it pays to be cautious, since jerks like me will be scouting and trashing players if they don't have scary enough stacks of troops, even gauls.

If a player isn't using NPC to balance out resources then they will be slowed even more, and will be more likely again to get hit hard as they slowly develop. Conversely though, it is worth noting that anyone who is already using NPC to balance out that extra iron may as well make offers to sell their clay and wood in exchange for iron or wheat at a 2:1 ratio so that you get some extra resources for free just by virtue of having a marketplace.

I know you did not want to include time lines, but activity will impact greatly upon whether a strategy of raiding is worth pursuing, and how one ought pursue it. I'd expect that a newbie using this guide would still take a hefty amount of time to get their 2nd villa unless they were very active. Less active players will actually benefit more from simply raising up some fields early on and getting the pushes from the quests.
    Last edited by Erik; 11-21-2009 at 10:22 AM.

I think this is a very useful guide for newer players. Even if everything is almostly based off strad in this game.
    "If I fall in Battle I'll rise again with a shining sword"

On a non-speed server I do not believe that you will be ready to settle a new villa just out of B.P. Heck you would need at least 2 days to party and I am not buying that you can get 100 phalanxes, thunders, and 2 parties all before you exit BP. No way. Cannot be done. Expect a visit from the multihunter if you pull that off.

I'd imagine that the best a gaul is gonna get their 2nd village by on a non-speed server is around 6-7 days (getting thunders is a hefty delay compared to teuts who can go straight from maces to parties), and that will usually be only the 24/7 accounts or the ones who had great luck on their farming. Less efficient players will more likely take at least 10 days to get to their 2nd villa. Less active and less efficient players may well take longer than 2 weeks, and much, much, much longer if they hit any bumps in the road.

The less active a player is then the less they can raid and the slower their raiding force becomes (and the more wheat it eats per raiding income), and if they are too slow in building forces then they are gonna get hit hard. Having 100 phalanxes when you exit a 3-day BP on a non-speed server is pretty amazing and not to be expected for most players, even experts. Heck, I had a 24/7 dual account and we had about 50 phalanxes as we exited BP... our raiding area wasn't great, but we made the absolute best of it that we could. A non-dual that is not as active is more likely to be sitting with 20-30 phalanxes tops assuming they make no mistakes and get some successful raids while in BP. And the less troops they have, the slower they will grow. If you grow too slowly then it pays to be cautious, since jerks like me will be scouting and trashing players if they don't have scary enough stacks of troops, even gauls.

If a player isn't using NPC to balance out resources then they will be slowed even more, and will be more likely again to get hit hard as they slowly develop. Conversely though, it is worth noting that anyone who is already using NPC to balance out that extra iron may as well make offers to sell their clay and wood in exchange for iron or wheat at a 2:1 ratio so that you get some extra resources for free just by virtue of having a marketplace.

I know you did not want to include time lines, but activity will impact greatly upon whether a strategy of raiding is worth pursuing, and how one ought pursue it. I'd expect that a newbie using this guide would still take a hefty amount of time to get their 2nd villa unless they were very active. Less active players will actually benefit more from simply raising up some fields early on and getting the pushes from the quests.
    You are quite right when you say it isn't going to happen in 3 days on a normal server. I assume that most newbs, like I did, won't know the difference between an old server and a new and will have a lot more than 3 days of BP.

As for getting 100 Phalanx in 3 days I have done it twice now. If your farm area is good and you chart out all the villages coming out of BP and make every raid it is quite doable.

I am by no means as good as some of the legendary vets on the server - I can't get to my first village in a week unless I am playing Teuton (bow hugglebear) - but I have learned how to come out of the gate swinging. I figure you can settle down and have a least a little bit of a life if you want to after your 2nd village is up and running (as long as you have a good defense) - until then Travian owns you

Marketing your goods is a great strategy as a Gaul, simply not one that I included here. It can be found in some of the other guides however.

Z

I have raided successfully Gauls early game. Because I know that they are reading the guide that says don't worry nobody will raid you they are scared of the trapper you don't have.

Having 100 TTs before scouts is stupid how on earth are you going to successfully raid? With 100 TTs you shouldn't be raiding 8 pop and under so you need scouts.

Ok finally edited the guide to make some needed changes. Added a great deal of content as well as some tricks and tips.

On my most recent start I followed this guide exactly and came out of BP with 106 Phalanx, 103 TT's and my second village already settled. Took me 11 days.

I know there are those who can do it quicker and that's ok this was more than good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I have raided successfully Gauls early game. Because I know that they are reading the guide that says don't worry nobody will raid you they are scared of the trapper you don't have.

Having 100 TTs before scouts is stupid how on earth are you going to successfully raid? With 100 TTs you shouldn't be raiding 8 pop and under so you need scouts.
    Conundrum let me start by saying I have a great deal of respect for your experience and wisdom, however on this I have to completely disagree. I have raided Gauls succesfully early game also - with Teutons where I could send a wall of maces at them if needed. I have also tried it while playing Gaul - sent 43 TT's and my hero to one that just came out of BP and wound up with all of them trapped. Sent 100 phalanx as a follow up on normal attack and wound up with all of them trapped as well.

This might by salvagable if you have been around long enough to have built up a network of friends who could bail you out at this point - for me it meant deleting. To each their own, however, my advice to the newbs still stand.

Once I get my second village is time to build scouts. As long as you are sticking to the guide and raiding Romans below 30 pop and Teuts below 60 it should not be a problem and building scouts slows your progress WAY down.

You made me think though - there IS a time when scouts would be needed. I have revised the guide to include a note about this.

Thanks for the feedback

Z
    Last edited by Zendarin; 11-30-2009 at 11:07 PM.

Really, the standard should be 3 days for BP because if you have longer than that then you are joining a server that has already been going for a while.

Honestly you have bigger problems to worry about, like that no matter how good you are, there is a fair chance that a monster neighbor can expunge you with minimal effort. Those 100 phalanxes aren't going to stop anyone if your BP lasted that 10 days (I think that gives the other players at least a couple months on you) and the 100 tt's will absolutely die in a pitiful whimper against what seemed like an innocuous target. A newbie may assume that a 50 pop 15c village is someone's only village, not just yet another bread basket to feed the armies of a much larger player. I see it happen all the time. I lay a new village. Newbie thinks it is a new spawn he can farm. I lay waste to newbie.

Rather than assume that new players will be starting late in a server and go with it, it is better to simply explain that they should keep an eye out for the newest server and open an account there. They're reading guides, why not include the most helpful information possible? Starting too late on a server can mean that you are joining 8 months in, and there is little if anything that you can do beyond hope to make nice with or impress a larger player and take over someone else's account.

Strategy for surviving in a world where everyone has honest to go hammers and anvils while you are still working on your first and second villages is a much more complicated endeavor that almost certainly involves either running and hiding, or politics. Getting your 2nd village is the least of your problems.

Rather than assume that new players will be starting late in a server and go with it, it is better to simply explain that they should keep an eye out for the newest server and open an account there. They're reading guides, why not include the most helpful information possible? Starting too late on a server can mean that you are joining 8 months in, and there is little if anything that you can do beyond hope to make nice with or impress a larger player and take over someone else's account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendarin View Post
    2. GETTING STARTED:

Everything in this guide is based upon starting your account at LEAST 3 days after server start and most beginners start much later than that (more because they don't know any better than for any other reason). You want to start raiding immediately so you need people out of BP. I actually prefer waiting till at least a week or 2 after the server starts – otherwise you wind up with a lot of experienced players around you and we want to take advantage of newbs who don’t know what they are doing yet NOTE: I have started 2 months after server start and done great – but those who are interested in the end game and competing for a WW may find this puts them at a severe disadvantage. Seek advice from more experienced players on this subject.
    Ok first of all neither I nor the guide assume anything of the sort. It is simply a matter of fact that nearly all new players DO start late. I suggested anywhere from 3 days to 1-2 weeks as a good starting time.

That being said what USUALLY happens is the new player starts on a mid game server, gets raided into oblivion, either deletes and never comes back or gets told they should start on a new server. Then said newbie looks around and finds no new servers are starting for a couple months, deletes, and never comes back.

Those that DO stay and eventually become decent players usually learn and make their mistakes on that first server that they joined late and then join a new server when it starts.

This guide, besides working very well for those new servers, also seeks to help these players to survive long enough to be able to make their mistakes and learn how to start on a new server when it does open up.

It's true that 100 TT is not even a speed bump to that "monster" player that has been around since the beginning of the server, but if you come out of BP ready to settle your second village things are drastically different than the newb trying to SIM from the start.

Yes they will get raided. If they follow the instructions at the end of the guide they will dodge the raid, which probably consists of a small raiding party, the raider will get nothing, and will probably lose at least 1 or 2 of their troops due to the natural defense of a level 10 residence and good infrastructure.

Most people, even those big monsters, will simply cross off that target.

Not always - if they are unlucky enough to have spawned in the "monster" players neighborhood is just tough luck dude.

Even if they do attract the attention of a much bigger player they will already have their second village settled, or be close to it, and can simply move away and let their spawn be cheifed

I hear what you are saying and am in agreement as to when you should be starting on a server, but you are wrong if you think I am operating on the assumption that that is in fact the case.

Z

---------------------------------------------------------- EDIT 11/17/09-------------------------

You actually brought out some very good points here and after thinking about what you and others have said I have added a couple new sections to the guide. I tried to address the issues you brought up in the section of part 2 called "Losing My Protection".

Thanks guys for all the input. You have helped to make this guide better.

Z
    Last edited by Zendarin; 11-30-2009 at 11:09 PM.