Thread: A Manual

Default A Manual

For Christ’s sake, Travian needs a proper manual. help.travian.whatever has all the great info, but it’s not organized to be read by newcomers trying to understand the way the game works.

I’ll write it myself if I have to. Oh wait, I’ve started to… PM me if you’re interested in contributing copy, ideas, whatever. Post here if you just want to make sure it has something, reads in some way, is available in some form, whatever.
    Retired.
    s3r2: Deakon - Nemesis/WFTW (winnarz!!) ...... s6r2: Anon - CD (lulz, failtrain)...... s1r4: Trogdor - 7RU

Do you have like.
    Not very good for beginnner
    Good for Beginner
    Same as first?
    Oh and Im talking about races.
    "If I fall in Battle I'll rise again with a shining sword"

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    I’ll write it myself if I have to. Oh wait, I’ve started to… PM me if you’re interested in contributing copy, ideas, whatever. Post here if you just want to make sure it has something, reads in some way, is available in some form, whatever.
    What sort of help are you looking for?
    I smash you!

Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    Just because I tell you something, doesn't make it true.

Someone likes to brag in public

Instead of having a manual why don't they just link it to help.travian.com? It would be easy for everyone,(being the coders/programmers Ect.)and have the best outcome for the noobs who don't know anything.
    Last edited by WILD MONKEYS; 12-02-2009 at 03:04 AM.
    US3R3-Judas(Nemesis)(well, some of the server)

Rep signature - ~WM

USXR8-snogabe58(SnoElite)

http://neoptc.com/images/banner1.png

It only took forever, but it's pretty much finished.

Google Docs version
    File -> Download as -> PDF for an awesome .pdf version, complete with ToC links.

HTML to follow.
    Last edited by Wren; 02-01-2010 at 05:23 AM.
    Retired.
    s3r2: Deakon - Nemesis/WFTW (winnarz!!) ...... s6r2: Anon - CD (lulz, failtrain)...... s1r4: Trogdor - 7RU

You managed to complete the rest of it during my absence? Being a perfectionist, I'll probably take a look through your edits...

It only took forever, but it's pretty much finished.

Google Docs version
    File -> Download as -> PDF for an awesome .pdf version, complete with ToC links.

HTML to follow.
    Did the great Wren just commit a Link Fail?

Or am I missing something?
    Past servers:
    thereter of Flock from UK server 1 Round 3 and thereter/Pond of thAC0/QoD from US server 3, Round 2
    thereter of Flock usx round 8: Part of the hits on Hydro: My first and last endgame hammer.
    4655 @ 1000JAN11 EST

Quote Originally Posted by thereter View Post

Or am I missing something?
    It's an anti-Thereter link.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AU...cmhjOWdn&hl=en

Ooooooh, I like that you put in the anti-farming guide, and the more advanced Alliance guide.
    Past servers:
    thereter of Flock from UK server 1 Round 3 and thereter/Pond of thAC0/QoD from US server 3, Round 2
    thereter of Flock usx round 8: Part of the hits on Hydro: My first and last endgame hammer.
    4655 @ 1000JAN11 EST

Senator

Follow Homes should be mentioned in the part about beating the farmers. I've mentioned this to Stargate, but apparently he never got around to adding it into his guide.
    My first hammer: s8r1 - mhisti
    Not my first hammer: s1r4 - Loved1

s1r7 - Ifrit 3,111,384 offense points

[6:49:56 PM] Bugzy: Let's report Ifrit for genocide

Quote Originally Posted by Old MacDonald View Post
    Follow Homes should be mentioned in the part about beating the farmers. I've mentioned this to Stargate, but apparently he never got around to adding it into his guide.
    The guide seems more geared to just the new players who are trying to survive. Personally, I don't think it should have that included.
    Past servers:
    4655 @ 1000JAN11 EST

Senator

That may have been the original intent, but there is way more information there than is needed when just starting out. I think follow homes would be a nice option to have.
    My first hammer: s8r1 - mhisti
    Not my first hammer: s1r4 - Loved1

s1r7 - Ifrit 3,111,384 offense points

[6:49:56 PM] Bugzy: Let's report Ifrit for genocide

Quote Originally Posted by thereter View Post
    yes

There is very little strategy included in the manual. This is completely intentional. It is there to explain the mechanics of travian, with a couple of very basic strategy guides (the alliance overview and anti-farming guide) tossed in as essential.
    Retired.

Not to nitpick, but are the pictures of the GB and GS just repeats of the Barracks and Stable? I seem to recall that the ground is a different color for the GB as opposed to the Barracks (green for the GB vs brown for the barracks).

Anyone else have problems with the some of the graphics? Resource fields, Fire Catapults, Villages, oases types, and some of the Artifact pics. (It may be the browser that I'm currently using).

Quote Originally Posted by Brahma View Post
    Not to nitpick, but are the pictures of the GB and GS just repeats of the Barracks and Stable? I seem to recall that the ground is a different color for the GB as opposed to the Barracks (green for the GB vs brown for the barracks).
    Actually, I prefer a nitpicking eye be taken to it by ppl who know. It makes it better for those who don't.

Those are the images from the help.travian.us site. In-game, the icons are a little bit different, but as their seen on the .dorf2 page is the highest resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Brahma View Post
    Anyone else have problems with the some of the graphics? Resource fields, Fire Catapults, Villages, oases types, and some of the Artifact pics. (It may be the browser that I'm currently using).
    The images are loaded straight into the google docs item, so it may be loading slowly enough to trigger the cutoff of some browsers. I promise they're there.
    Retired.

I'm just reading through, but you may want to clarify the part about sitters for more than two weeks. It sounds like you have to rotate, whether or not the account owner is active. Wouldn't say anything, but you're writing for newbs.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."
    --- Gideon J. Tucker

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."
    ---Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Flare_Corran View Post
    I'm just reading through, but you may want to clarify the part about sitters for more than two weeks. It sounds like you have to rotate, whether or not the account owner is active. Wouldn't say anything, but you're writing for newbs.
    Good point. I guess I forgot to scroll all the way to the top on my last edit.
    px and your unclear sentences

EDIT: should be better now, thanks for reporting it.
    Last edited by Wren; 02-02-2010 at 10:49 PM.
    Retired.

Good point. I guess I forgot to scroll all the way to the top on my last edit.
    px and your unclear sentences
    I was sick the majority of the time I was absent, so I was unable to make any edits. So thanks for making me feel like a jerk

I blame you;
    • You told me not to edit it.
    • I was gone; it was your responsibility.
    • I never lie.

Banned.

For Christ’s sake, Travian needs a proper manual. help.travian.whatever has all the great info, but it’s not organized to be read by newcomers trying to understand the way the game works.

Mine is actually about 70% done. Some people do not agree with some of my facts though.

Quote Originally Posted by BLAH View Post
    Mine is actually about 70% done. Some people do not agree with some of my facts though.
    If they were facts, they would have to agree.
    Past servers:
    4655 @ 1000JAN11 EST

Manuals for newbies are over rated...

Theres a reason why the faq/fake rules are so simple... its to lure new players in.

Otherwise they'd be intimidated off...

Its once they get into the game and actually make the effort to search for things, that you throw the heavy rule/guides at them... by that stage they're too far into the game to give up... well most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Baghernia View Post
    Manuals for newbies are over rated...
    Thanks for the insight.

This one is designed to be complete, with language appropriate for players at any phase of the game. If you've got specific thoughts toward that goal, by all means, mention them.
    Retired.

Well done Wren!

The only thing I see amiss is that you didn't mention that Teutons got back their superior cranny dip in 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by Marmot Man View Post
    Well done Wren!

The only thing I see amiss is that you didn't mention that Teutons got back their superior cranny dip in 3.6
    They did?
    Past servers:
    4655 @ 1000JAN11 EST

I thought that I had read that, but after searching for where I had read it and not finding it, I will admit I am quite wrong. Embarrassing. Most likely I see the specific mention of 3.5 in the in game description of the cranny when you click on it, and that made me think it therefore didn't apply to 3.6.

While I was wrong about that, I still stand by my approval of the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmot Man View Post
    Well done Wren!

Whoa that suck, when did that happen, can you provide a link for that info.

Im assuming they're putting it in, to assist Teutons early game, due to the rally point restrictions... I believe 33% is still too high 25% would of been a good middle ground I believe.

This will also be annoying for my 1 village account, this will add the 1-2 days for the xtra 2 crannies I will ahve to make now.