Thread: Make cages only having a chance of catching an animal.

Default Make cages only having a chance of catching an animal.

Cages should only have a chance at catching an animal, and a lower chance for more powerful animals.

Rats, for example, could have an 85% chance of success.

Boars could have a 55% chance. Tigers or Elephants would have an even lower chance, like 30%.

I don't believe players should have a direct ability to buy troops. Bonuses and tools are fine, even resources, because you still have to know how to spend them, but when someone can dump money into the game and just buy an army (albeit defensive), it removes the fun for others and requirement of any kind of skill.

T4 is based around protecting noobs early game to prevent them from quitting. The unbalancing in the beginning is intentional. But animals have been irrelevant on s7 for some time now. So its all good now. I don't see a problem with it. If it happens to save us some better farms or some better conquer targets, I say it was well worth it for them to spend their money.
    S7R1 Gemini's

۝ Pacman Fever Award of Munchiness ۝

Can you imagine if you bought a bunch of cages and then got really unlucky and only captured like 2 or 3 animals while using up 10 cages?
    You'd be pissed off and you'd come on here and say, "I think every cage should catch an animal"

No, it's broken equally now, let's leave it that way rather than breaking it more.
    MokMonster does not support, condone or agree with anything written in this post.
    Any suggestions to the contrary are purely unintentional.
    (Unless you agreed with it -- then I totally said it)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowRose View Post
    If it happens to save us some better farms or some better conquer targets, I say it was well worth it for them to spend their money.
    Plus, if the newbs get to hang around longer on average before anything majorly bad happens to them, it will most likely get more of them into the game enough that they will keep playing on other servers even if they do get stomped on their first.

Quote Originally Posted by Woden View Post
    Plus, if the newbs get to hang around longer on average before anything majorly bad happens to them, it will most likely get more of them into the game enough that they will keep playing on other servers even if they do get stomped on their first.
    ^This. Anything that keeps people emotionally invested in the game longer is a good thing for our servers.

I like the animals. Its a nice change and my rat used to die within 12 hours of dropping BP pre T4. Do they make a major change to the game after the first month or two? No, but anything that adds some change to this is a good thing.
    Making it more difficult to get animals would not be a positive thing, in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud9 View Post
    I don't believe players should have a direct ability to buy troops. Bonuses and tools are fine, even resources, because you still have to know how to spend them, but when someone can dump money into the game and just buy an army (albeit defensive), it removes the fun for others and requirement of any kind of skill.
    Players have always had the ability to buy defensive troops from other players. All they did was add a new kind of currency to pay with. As someone who is on the selling side of the equation, I am quite happy to provide defense to other players in exchange for them covering my gold usage.
    S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

Something like a cage per crop consumed could achieve the same goal. Not sure if it would be a good idea though.

5 cages for an elephant is too expensive (at current prices)
    5 cages for 5 rats is still a waste.

Maybe they could make 2 classes of cages:
    1 for rat/spider/snake/bat/boar/wolf,
    1 for the bear/croc/tiger/elephant

I think that could make it a little better -- and also allow you to ignore capturing some of the lousy critters.
    MokMonster does not support, condone or agree with anything written in this post.

One of the interesting things about cages is they make it easier to find troops to kill. While in the early game people take the mindset of "I can defend my troops with these free animals", by midgame they seem to shift to "AH!! a raid is coming, I need to defend my animals!"
    S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

I hadn't thought of that one, Tin.
    Not sure I've really noticed that myself, but I'm sure there are folks with that mentality.

*goes to hunt for someone with a small-to-midsized zoo*

Quote Originally Posted by Tineren View Post
    Players have always had the ability to buy defensive troops from other players. All they did was add a new kind of currency to pay with. As someone who is on the selling side of the equation, I am quite happy to provide defense to other players in exchange for them covering my gold usage.
    When us old-timers started playing, it was actually illegal to offer gold for services like defensive troops. Things have come quite a ways.
    Retired.
    s3r2: Deakon - Nemesis/WFTW (winnarz!!) ...... s6r2: Anon - CD (lulz, failtrain)...... s1r4: Trogdor - 7RU

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    When us old-timers started playing, it was actually illegal to offer gold for services like defensive troops. Things have come quite a ways.
    That's because Travian figured out a way they could take a cut of half the gold exchanged .

It still is.
    The only ways to pass gold is to sit for someone and buy it, or to create an account, buy gold and delete... but this takes 3+ days.

Or, as Tineren alluded to, you can get a 3rd party involved and bid up an item in the market to xfer some silver...

I agree. The cages add an interesting new element to the game. I also like what MokMonster said:

I never buy cages because I'm worried I'll end up wasting them on rats and other weak creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by speedygonzalas View Post
    I agree. The cages add an interesting new element to the game. I also like what MokMonster said:

I never buy cages because I'm worried I'll end up wasting them on rats and other weak creatures.
    It's not random what you catch, it just goes down in order of what they're listed in on the oasis (rats, spiders, then snakes, etc.). So you get 1 of each, then the pattern starts again... And that would make the first type of cage useless and make the 2nd type of cage cost a lot.

Oh, nice necro, btw
    *somethingsomethinglegaldisclaimer*
    Modzing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    I'm not really a girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flossie Schmumpus View Post
    No, Flossie was naughty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    I am feeling naughty
    Quote Originally Posted by Flossie Schmumpus View Post
    Mmmmm, good enough to make me want to stop being a good girl.
    ****It's fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by Woden View Post
    ^ Note the lack of capitalization.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud9 View Post
    Animals creamed my maces ;(

whpper snapper...

As much as people whinge about t4, the active numbers is pretty astounded compared to "classic"

where can u typically find elephants?
    in what kind of oasis?

The blue ones.
    Last edited by tunaman43; 08-04-2011 at 03:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenaynay View Post
    According to the theory of evolution, you probably shouldn't be allowed here either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You're a ******* idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luisss View Post
    I DON'T CARE WHAT THE ANSWER IS.
    S3- Nemesis- http://travian-reports.net/us/report/60926971ac5 (That clay pit had it coming!!!!!!)
    S1- Trannysaurusrex- 7RU (the awesome wing)
    S1- Inshallah. It be but the will of God.

No neg coords for me.