Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Travian.....for beginners? (Game)

Default Travian.....for beginners? (Game)

Once upon a time, everybody on Travian was a noob. Whether it was the people on the WW account of the winning WW or the leader of the most feared alliance, everybody started off as a beginner. Today, however, Travian sees far fewer beginners. And those beginners that do show up don't often stick around.

One of the keys to the survival of a game is its ability to continue to attract new players and keep them playing. What can Travian do to improve it's success in bringing in and keeping the new players?

What I am interested in is how we were brought in and kept by Travian. How were you first introduced to Travian? And what made you stick around? What was it that got you to stay through your beginner stage and continue playing Travian?

I also am curious to see if there are any ideas out there that could help solve this issue and start bringing in a fresh crowd to Travian to help the community grow again. Such as a server for beginners, that would have features that would be more accommodating to new players. As a result they would hopefully be more likely to stay and venture out into the other servers where they can play with more experience under their belt.

Four years ago I came across a Travian ad on another website. I was curious, so I clicked on it and made an account on the very first usx. I was a complete noob, not even smart enough to read guides on the forums. I was more worried with getting my population up to be the largest player than I was building troops. However, I sent a message to my neighbor who happened to be a part of one of the larger alliances on usx round 1. This player was willing to help me out, despite being a noob, and I got a spot in the alliance where I learned some of the basics of Travian. I also became part of the community within that alliance and got to know the other members. As a result I not only enjoyed playing the game, but interacting with the Travian community. If I had never seen, or clicked, on that Travian ad I wouldn't have been here today. And if my neighbor, who was considered a veteran player at the time, hadn't of graciously given me the chance within the alliance I would never have learned the game or stayed.

Maybe the issue is a lack of advertising of Travian these days, drawing in fewer new players. Maybe the issue is a lack of veteran players willing to take in new players and teach them the ropes. Maybe the issue is new players aren't able to properly get on their feet and enjoy the game before being continuously attacked and farmed, thus they leave. Maybe all of the above is the issue contributing to the lack of new players.

With T4, Travian has a fresh face and new features, it's not the same game as back in 2006; however, it also has stuck to its basic game play roots. Now that the game is updated, there has to be a way to draw players back in. Do you have any ideas that could make it work? If you were the owner of Travian, what would you do?
    Last edited by F.C.; 07-11-2011 at 03:04 AM.
    Forum Rules: Read them. Love them. Follow them. || us4r2: failpie WW Hit
    <@kappy> i let you play, for hours
    <@kappy> then i took away MM privs for awhile because my inbox was spammed
    <@kappy> then, you took the alliance over in a coup

I started on s3 something like 5 months after the server began, so I ended up spawning waaay out in the boonies, which is pretty much the only reason I didn't end up as a farm. I ended the server with about 200 pop and 100 troops. Pathetic, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by spiderham View Post
    I started on s3 something like 5 months after the server began, so I ended up spawning waaay out in the boonies, which is pretty much the only reason I didn't end up as a farm. I ended the server with about 200 pop and 100 troops. Pathetic, I know.
    What made you continue to play? What helped you learn the game and come back to play another round?

I started back in 2008 on us6r1. My WoW guild leader said "Hey I found a game to play, wanna try it?" So I did, I spawned in the middle of a huge alliance named KGB. I didnt know these forums existed either so I built my lonely village from the manual. I had one village for what it seemed like forever. One of the larger players in the huge alliance would have me up every morning at 4am to spend my resources. He even catted the barracks down so I wouldnt build troops lol. Then I wanted to make more villages so I started chatting with a smaller alliance around me, It happened to turn out they were friendly with this huge alliance and took me in and helped me a bit at building more villages (by now I was able to settle 3 new ones).

Then a bit later I started chatting with a leader in a wing of this huge alliance (Scrantonian), he offered me a bigger account. I took it, gave my old one to the guild leader who got me started cause his was catted down. My Mentor Scrant got me started off by finding a cropper for me and teaching me how to build cp, throw parties and build a hammer village. I already had defense. At the end of the server I was a sitter for the winning world wonder. Myyrks Wyyrks. Myyrk and I were so busy doing ww duty we had almost forgot about having fun with our hammers so in the last 2 weeks of the server I learned with Myrk how to coordinate blowing up caps, 1000ish pop to 0 in secs. That was fun! About halfway throiugh the server someone from another alliance chiefed my spawn, I felt so sad to lose a village But I decided I would learn how to get even by the end of the server so for weeks I used time calculators and built troops the same speed as chiefs (rams, I was Roman) and set to fake chief 2 of this guys villages and chief a 15c. It was perfect, I even had defense sent with the last wave cause I read the troops on the chiefing success stayed as reins. This was awesome, it worked as planned! I decided to play again because I wanted to do it myself so I had started an account on us3 and went to mid quad where I built this account and moved on to us8 with my friends. Thats where the multiple servers started. I enjoy the people I play with and all the help I was given to get started.

I dont think this kind of thing happens much anymore. A new player starts and they don't grow fast enough they are marked a farm. Alot of the veterans just snarl at these new players when they igm asking to leave them be. Also the dual factor plays in with big accounts, a new player will start alone, its hard to play this game alone even if your are experienced. It also could be that the servers are getting smaller and more people have taken on raiding. To be honest, a new player barely has a chance anymore. Us3 has a newbie alliance on it, I'm excited to see what comes from that and how many will try again.

Sorry for the text wall
    us8 Lanie - Lanie
    us3r3 - Horse
    us6r3 - Puzzle TR/RTA Puzzle Hammer
    us3r4 - GOB (another massive Gaul anvil) - Winners
    us6r4 - Satans Choice - THC http://travian-reports.net/us/report/1905565bba5
    us7r3 - Chuckles - Stooges http://travian-reports.net/us/report/2106816d1bd
    us2r6 - Bonzi - Tueton anvil, not recommended if you like to raid.

Through guild mates in WOW, something to do while waiting for BG queues, waiting for idiots late for raids... or clueless leaders trying to figure out how to defeat a boss.

But from what I saw in my first 2 years playing this game 2007-2008, was that there was a lot of advertising, you saw Travian everywhere.

Since then, it looks like there has been very very few advertising. That to me is why Travian lack numbers.

Veteran players and those stupid accounts with 2-5+ players on them essentially ruins the game for newbies, they're essentially gods destroying players at will... I know I do this ALOT.

Every vet I know recall their first server, often a Round 1 or Round 2 as their favorite or good learning curve. Where player few vet players meant a higher rate of survival.

T4 seems to be addressing the vet issue a bit. With an easier softer beginning for newbs, and from what I hear inability to throw more than 4 cat waves in a second - less destruction. The newbifying of T4 though brings to question its ability to retain players long term, like t2-t3 did. Who cares about the crying of most vet members, they're NOT the future.

I also believe the forum plays a part in newbies further enjoying the game.

The US forum is slowly but surely becoming like .com

A "club" of senior players, whether they're playing or not, of "ex mods" and "mods", most with a smug attitude of their own opinions. This is more evident in "ex mods", who as I've said before have seen 'the matrix'.

The rep system further this by rewarding older/frequent posting members, even though its been confirmed/agreed that the rep system is not merit based, just opinion based. Discussions are not as multiplicit or involved as they use to be - in proportion to the forum populations. I've had msgs from people who agree with me, who I know are generally opinion posters, but have like many decided its too much like work arguing against the "establishment".

The rep system allows people to be axxes by stealth.

Woden, lead by good example when the forum started, a hands off mod who rarely got involved in duscussions, this could be reflective of Taranis the previous admin attitude as well.

Today's mods get involved and as a result develop attitudes regarding other members. Bringing into question their inpartiality. Mods being able to rep and receive rep also gets them too much involved in the forum.

The forum I believe is also too cluttered as a result quite daunting for new players. I believe each of the server forums should start off minimise not all openned.
    Last edited by Baghernia; 07-11-2011 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by F.C. View Post
    What can Travian do to improve it's success in bringing in and keeping the new players?
    Give them all an experienced mentor Link to some good forum guides in the quests?
    How were you first introduced to Travian?
    Travian ad on Miniclip.com.... I was bored. It was summer.
    And what made you stick around? What was it that got you to stay through your beginner stage and continue playing Travian?
    Uhhh... Let's see... That was com4... I spawned late and 2 people in an alliance helped me out -- Mr. ****head (lolz) and zhuzhu. And zhuzhu sent some resources to me as he was deleting, so I guess that helped Somehow I ended up in ARM-LEG meta (we lost ) and ended the server with like 500 imps lol. And then the next time around I went to us6r1..... (OK, maybe some noob servers while still trying to figure it out )

Quote Originally Posted by Verlanie View Post
    I started back in 2008 on us6r1. My WoW guild leader said "Hey I found a game to play, wanna try it?" So I did, I spawned in the middle of a huge alliance named KGB. I didnt know these forums existed either so I built my lonely village from the manual. I had one village for what it seemed like forever. One of the larger players in the huge alliance would have me up every morning at 4am to spend my resources. He even catted the barracks down so I wouldnt build troops lol. Then I wanted to make more villages so I started chatting with a smaller alliance around me, It happened to turn out they were friendly with this huge alliance and took me in and helped me a bit at building more villages (by now I was able to settle 3 new ones).

Then a bit later I started chatting with a leader in a wing of this huge alliance (Scrantonian), he offered me a bigger account. I took it, gave my old one to the guild leader who got me started cause his was catted down. My Mentor Scrant got me started off by finding a cropper for me and teaching me how to build cp, throw parties and build a hammer village. I already had defense. At the end of the server I was a sitter for the winning world wonder. Myyrks Wyyrks. Myyrk and I were so busy doing ww duty we had almost forgot about having fun with our hammers so in the last 2 weeks of the server I learned with Myrk how to coordinate blowing up caps, 1000ish pop to 0 in secs. That was fun! About halfway throiugh the server someone from another alliance chiefed my spawn, I felt so sad to lose a village But I decided I would learn how to get even by the end of the server so for weeks I used time calculators and built troops the same speed as chiefs (rams, I was Roman) and set to fake chief 2 of this guys villages and chief a 15c. It was perfect, I even had defense sent with the last wave cause I read the troops on the chiefing success stayed as reins. This was awesome, it worked as planned! I decided to play again because I wanted to do it myself so I had started an account on us3 and went to mid quad where I built this account and moved on to us8 with my friends. Thats where the multiple servers started. I enjoy the people I play with and all the help I was given to get started.

I dont think this kind of thing happens much anymore. A new player starts and they don't grow fast enough they are marked a farm. Alot of the veterans just snarl at these new players when they igm asking to leave them be. Also the dual factor plays in with big accounts, a new player will start alone, its hard to play this game alone even if your are experienced. It also could be that the servers are getting smaller and more people have taken on raiding. To be honest, a new player barely has a chance anymore. Us3 has a newbie alliance on it, I'm excited to see what comes from that and how many will try again.

Sorry for the text wall
    ^This sounds a little familiar.....
    *somethingsomethinglegaldisclaimer*
    Modzing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Evil View Post
    I'm not really a girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flossie Schmumpus View Post
    No, Flossie was naughty.
    I am feeling naughty
    Quote Originally Posted by Flossie Schmumpus View Post
    Mmmmm, good enough to make me want to stop being a good girl.
    ****It's fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by Woden View Post
    ^ Note the lack of capitalization.

Here is my story. I saw an ad for Travian on a jewelry making forum. I still remember the tag line that 'sucked' me in "YOUR peasants are waiting". I thought it was going to be a medieval sim city type game. I choose a server, because I liked the number. Lucky for me, it was only about 2 and half months into the server. I spawned in the 13x13 of a top player's capital, in the area that he 'reserved' for himself. Between his comment in his profile and the available buildings, I realized that I had just registered for a War game. I had never played any type of a MMP game before. In fact my entire 'war' gaming experience was either 'Heroes of Might and Magic' for Windows 95, the OLD version of Ultima 3 or 4 that ran on a Commodore 64. That rd 1 of s5

The forum was my first teacher. In fact, I was not impressed by many of the posters, they seemed to be smug, bully types to me. I did realize that I had to make friends with my big, aggressive neighbor. He tried to raid me, I trapped and released his troops with a cute and somewhat funny note. He liked it and agreed to not attack me any more. By then I knew that I needed to the 'heck of Dodge'. So I told him I would settle away from him and I also convinced the other members of the Noob alliance I joined that WE all had to get away from his 'territory'. He even helped me out some by suggesting tiny farms for me to raid. It took me 4-5 wks to get that second village. My alliance and I all settled close to each other (no one ever called it a stronghold area, in fact it was way too small for that).

We had trouble with another alliance, because one of our members scouted one of theirs. At that time, I was NOT impressed. I was seeing a lot nasty, and to me unreasonable aggression out of many players. However, my neighbor was encouraging and helpful. (he did ask for 'taxes' from us, after our second villages were decent sized. Two things happened at around 2 months into that server. A friend put gold on my account and became my gold 'Fairy' and the alliance that had attacked us, recruited several of us. When I told my 'friend', he told me that joining them would be a good move, but that he felt I could eventually be good enough to join the alliance he was in. That alliance was one of the top metas on the server.

Many things, mostly good, a few bad happened during the next few months. Something he did that was very helpful to me, was to allow me to sit his account and ask questions of him. Just before my 6 mo anniversary on the server, I got my invite to the alliance I had admired and feared, all server.

I stayed at first, because I wanted to see if an old lady could survive. I got help from the forum and from another player, joecool. I then made friends, like Unsquidly that bought gold for me. Recently, one of those friends, Danielenstein, from that Noob alliance and I dualed to a hall of fame finish on 5x.

I have been doing support for several years and one thing that I have noticed is more players that seem to want to be told how to play. Instead of turning to the forum, they ask Support or the MH. Maybe one of the quests needs to be to find the forum and use it somehow.

Why do I KEEP playing, because I am still learning things and I really enjoy MOST of the folks I have gotten to meet. From a lady farrier in BC, Canada to an Egyptian student that gave you updates of the Egyptian unrest to the Indian member on an alliance that took me of a 'virtual' tour of India one night.

I clicked an ad on Pogo while playing Poppit bored at work. Ads were all over back then. Remember when they advertised on Neopets and we got a flood of people?

My first server was the first USX and I joined just at the end. I got zero popped. USX rd2 I learned a lot. I studied guides and the wikis. I ended up in a 50 ranking alliance and was the "diplomat." Being the diplomat of lower ranking alliance back then meant you talked to all of the members and helped them. I would research their questions, give them tips and help when I saw them lose a village or get attacked. I too was failing (I was in the top 200 players) but we all worked together. I learned more about the game helping others than I did on my own. Round 2 wasn't a success at playing but a success at learning. Two of those newbies that I helped out in Rd 2 went on to dual together and won the WW in Round 4. One of the guys found me and said something like "if it weren't for you I would have quit when I was being farmed and chiefed in my first round. While part of me wishes I had quit since I'm addicted now, thanks for being there."

I may not have won my own WW but I was proud of them when they won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Eb0l is the alpha and the omega
    The eternal pumpkin queen, and mother of gerbils
    So it was written and so it must forever be

Quote Originally Posted by Baghernia View Post

But from what I saw in my first 2 years playing this game 2007-2008, was that there was a lot of advertising, you saw Travian everywhere.
    I clicked an ad on Pogo while playing Poppit bored at work. Ads were all over back then. Remember when they advertised on Neopets and we got a flood of people?

Yep, you churn through a lot of crap, and you get some gem players out if, it also made the game active for learning players, they get the taste of blood.
    Last edited by Baghernia; 07-11-2011 at 10:57 AM.

I think the real problem is a total lack of mentoring. Three years ago people were far more inclined to mentor people and help them along. Now with fewer people on a server and more anvil specialization (everyone used to be a hammer) players you need those players as farms/chief targets and don't really need them for anvil help.
    http://imageshack.us/a/img690/5194/m...crewmember.jpg
    s7 r1 - Quinnito/KWC (Gemini) s7 r2 - Kazumodo (frenchmaids) s7 r3 Smokey
    s1 r3 - Nemain (DSP)
    s5x - Pootang (DB!)

Ehh... I think the problem is that most of the new folks just want to sim or they want to be instantly successful with very little learning-time and less activity.
    There are a few out there who ask the right questions and genuinely work at learning the game. These I am happy to help and mentor. The rest are honestly just a waste of time. Nothing worse than helping someone out and finding out they deleted in the middle of the night w/out a word.

While the new farm list is nice, it is very de-personalizing. I can now send out over hundreds of raids with a just a few clicks. Getting a msg from a farm now requires me to do a lot of searching just to find out who he is. I used to know the names of 95% of my farms' towns. Now I barely know any of them. So while most of T4 is meant to be newb-friendly, I think the list is actually the opposite.

Realistically, the only way to really recruit new players would be to have a special server just for them.
    Wren posted an idea about this a while back, but basically:
    Make a shorter (and smaller) server with a lot of quests designed to teach more advanced concepts (like, land a cat at exactly xx time) or something similar.
    Have a few "experts" guide the newbs (gold rewards for time served should suffice) through some wars and an easier version of a WW endgame.
    Gold should be strictly limited.

In short, make a "training" server to bring newbs up to speed on the basics. Give them an understanding of the game, along with an explanation that activity = higher success probability.

And b/c the server is smaller, shorter and limited in many ways (and should also be limited to one training server ever per email), the bullies (like me and probably most of you) should stay away out of dis-interest.

Yes, the newbs will get a skewed impression of the game, but that should be made clear in various ways. At least when they jump into the big kids' pool afterwards, they'll have an idea of what is going on. Ideally, they'll even have made a few friends and might start together, giving them a bit more of a fighting chance.

Anyway, to go w/ the other posts:
    I started very late (like 6-8 wks before WW release) on my first server. I just clicked on a link and the game seemed interesting. I had 2 weeks of BP to fumble around and kind of figure out what I was doing. I found the forums (and lurked for awhile) and tried to figure out why people kept talking about 100k troops and I was struggling to get to 100. A few days after my BP ran out, my very large neighbor attacked me with like 2k Imps. It boggled my little mind, but I had spent down and dodged. I wrote her a note when they were en-route and said, "I was wondering when you were going to attack me". I guess my attitude made her laugh or something, but she took me under her wing and helped me out. I ended in a training wing in her meta, and our WW got to around lvl 97 before someone else won. I had 4 villages at the end, was sending 300 lvl 19 prats to the WW each day, and enough wheat to feed all of them twice (no one told me they ate 1/2!). I learned a ton from her over the course of that server, and followed her to another one after. That was less successful, but I was already hooked.
    MokMonster does not support, condone or agree with anything written in this post.
    Any suggestions to the contrary are purely unintentional.
    (Unless you agreed with it -- then I totally said it)

I believe I started more than halfway through the game on some round of us1, back near the time I started my forum account. I was just bored in school, always looking more new, fun, free games to play (anything from 4-second games, to puzzle games, to eventually Travian). I don't remember if I found it by clicking an ad from another game, or if it was searching "free games" on Google. So that's how I started.

How and why did I stick around? I went through the in-game quests. I also found the forum and help site (help.travian.us) and literally read everything within a few weeks. I realize it was a war game, but I was a simmer. I liked the optimization with resources, and the planning ahead. I don't know if I even built any troops for quite a long time.

The endgame message came out, and I realized the round would soon be over. I set myself the goal of conquering one oasis and settling one new village before then. I started building a few troops, used battle-sims to see how many I'd need to get the oasis, and accomplished both tasks. Then, I decided to scout a small village of a nearby large player. Luckily, we exchanged a few witty messages, and he only threatened to crush me (but didn't actually do it)... if a noob had scouted me in most of my rounds of Travian since then, I'd likely wipe them off the map pretty quickly.

It was the optimization and planning ahead that kept me in the game from the start, and it's the same reason I'm still playing today. I've joined a few larger metas on different servers (and even stuck with PD and KoN through a few more), but generally I start servers with no ties to alliances.

It's the "you can't grow near my capital/hammer" mentality, I believe, that is preventing new players from sticking around. And I've done it a lot... even as an anvil (which is what I usually am, with a small toy hammer for getting rid of threats). The one time I built a hammer (rejoining a new round with a former alliance), I went in with the mentality of clearing out 8 cat-hours (24 fields) in all directions for safety through the night. However, another player from KotR (ended up being a friendly alliance to ours) settled a few fields away about the same time I did with a similar goal (EGH, but he had a few friends who he wanted to bring in soon too as his anvils). So I lead the small group of us and we even brought in a few noobs in the area too who were willing to work with us and listen to advice. None of them would have survived (and probably none would have played again) if we didn't have a little compassion.

If there was any way to have people safely grow around your villages, without you feeling the "need" to cat them to the dust, lest they become a threat, it would help new people stick around. Pre-formed metas starting a new server are probably the worst... they spawn through the first few days/weeks to get good coverage near the origin, then settle throughout most of the quad, and eliminate the entire quad of people who aren't on their team, so they can start simming for endgame.

I've yet to see if the new T4 (with all WW's near the core) will allow more newer players to stick around on the fringes throughout the round, since most experienced players *should* be moving closer to the centre... except a few simmers who want to move out to be "alone". It might help... we'll see.

I'd even consider trying a "random spawn"... where spawning doesn't happen in a ring from the inside outwards, but you could spawn anywhere in the quad at any point. With the quads looping in on themselves in the 400's, all borders would be fairly even then... but that would also require WW's to spawn throughout the map instead of all being at the core. Just an idea though.

Last thing to mention... new people's questions on the forum have been flamed a lot lately (in the past year or so that I've paid attention). I've heard rumours of a "Newbie Corner", which I can't access, but where questions are answered by people willing to be nice and answer the same questions over and over. That should probably help solve that problem, as I assume a harsh welcome on the forums would be reason enough for many people to just leave and not come back.

Quote Originally Posted by jason_kroeker View Post
    It's the "you can't grow near my capital/hammer" mentality, I believe, that is preventing new players from sticking around.
    Yeah, there's a lot of that. I'm guilty of it as well. I try to be as nice as possible about it, in case one of them steps up and impresses me, but it definitely adds to the rough experience for a lot of newbs.

Last thing to mention... new people's questions on the forum have been flamed a lot lately (in the past year or so that I've paid attention). I've heard rumours of a "Newbie Corner", which I can't access, but where questions are answered by people willing to be nice and answer the same questions over and over. That should probably help solve that problem, as I assume a harsh welcome on the forums would be reason enough for many people to just leave and not come back.
    Eh, it does a lot of help for some - but not many newbs go there... or they don't post much there, anyway.
    And for the ones who skip it straight for the Q&A section, they can receive some harsh treatment... but most of the time they get what they deserve. If they ask a question in a proper manner - even a Q which is answered a lot - they tend to get a decent answer. If they come on and use noob-speak with awful grammar and punctuation, while insulting those who are trying to answer -- well, they get a useful lesson also.
    MokMonster does not support, condone or agree with anything written in this post.

My first server I joined with a bunch of people from another game, KoL, way back in 2007 or 2008. I never saw an ad for it, but people kept talking about it in the chat, so I decided to see what was up with it. We were over on the s4.com server, and started rather late, though I don't know exactly how late, probably a month or two. As I started with (or well, a week after) a bunch of people I already knew, I was able to avoid a lot of the normal problems you might see with beginners. For example, some of our leaders made sure that we were reading the guides, so that at least we had some idea of what was going on. Having a built in support system from the getgo made a lot of things easier and less scary. It also helped that they were a PvP group and extremely aggressive to begin with, so they were playing Travian to get a more aggressive outlet than KoL. Anyway, we got into a war with another alliance that was larger, and much more experienced than us (PAv, a polish group), and while we put up a good fight, we eventually lost out. But it wasn't too bad, as they respected our coordination and teamwork, and some people from our group ended up helping them out on another server they were playing that was in the endgame. there were a couple people from that group that stayed on that server, but most deleted, and I don't know what's up with them.

Anyway, while that was going on, I was working closely with one of my alliancemate neighbors, hprx, a.k.a. testuser a.k.a. hugglebear. We had been reading a lot of the guides on the forums, and were wanting to try our hand at Nailzz's teuton guide, so after we deleted, we started on another server with the intention of just playing for a couple weeks, getting practice at the beginning-game (what's the opposite of endgame? opening maybe?). Unfortunately, hugglebear turned out to be a natural travian diplomat, so by the time we were a month into the server, we ended up with friends all over the map, so we ended up sticking out the server, founding CMD, and doing a bunch of other crazy stuff.

This brings me to my last point, advertising. I got burned out after that server (well, actually a couple months before the end of that sever, but that's beside the point), and was away from travian for a couple years. However, one day I was bored and started playing a couple of those Travian ripoffs (Evony, and something else I can't remember the name to). However, they kind of sucked, but were still taking up my time, so I though "Hey, why don't I just go play Travian again?" so I did, and here I am.

To turn that into concrete suggestions:
    1) If advertising can get me playing crappy games, surely it can get other people playing Travian.
    2) Joining with a group of friends really helps out. If there was some way to encourage already established groups of people to sign up, I think it would help a lot. A group that already has established means of communication is an extremely strong asset to a beginning travian player, as you get support and advice from sources you already trust. Not to mention the peer pressure to stick around for at least the rest of that server.
    2.1) Maybe getting better support systems once they're in the game would help as well. The quest to get you to join an alliance is a good start, but most alliances that beginning players would be joining have no idea what's going on either. Maybe something like seeding the newb alliances with more experienced players, or at least giving them access to an alliance advisor type person would help.
    3) What about a beginners server where there were no other human players? I'm thinking like an extremely extended version of the quest system, 20x20 map, 10x speed, where you could get a better feel for the game without the fear of getting attacked. Well, except for the couple of quests where you got attacked, but those would only trigger when it knew you were logged on.
    4) Allow people to read the forums without signing up. Well, they can a little bit, but some areas they can't. For example - newbie corner. That would be an excellent one to make public so people can read it without signing up.
    Last edited by Nacho; 07-11-2011 at 07:04 PM.

I'm pretty sure I was playing flash games on Armorgames.com when I saw an ad for Travian. I'm not sure why I clicked it since I would normally ignore an ad, but I guess it was that I was playing games already, and I was bored. The whole account creating/e-mail bs was a turnoff, but I went through it for some reason. Guess it must've been a heck of an ad.

Like others, I started kind of late into a server. The first big shock was the pace. I'd build something and be like sooooo I'm just supposed to sit here and wait for this now or what? By the time my bp was expiring, I was about ready to quit. My thoughts at that point were along the lines of "geez this game's really slow and stupid." Once my bp expired, things got a little more exciting.

I started getting hit from all sides the instant my bp expired. That's when I realized that there might be more to this game then I'd thought, and I hit the forums hard.
    My neighbors were huge compared to me, and one guy was particularly relentless. Even after I managed to de-farm myself he still kept attacking and attacking which was driving me crazy. Rather then try to negotiate with my tormenter, I swore vengeance. The desire to repay this guy kept me at it for quite some time. I started to get kind of big and powerful myself using some of the very good guides around here as guidance. I agree that these could/should be made more prominent for noobs. When I ended up joining the same alliance as my former bully, the fires kind of faded. I was playing like all the time, and didn't really have any clear in-game goals having accomplished a lot of what I'd wanted. I ended up burnout/boredom quitting with 4 or 5 villages including a 15c that was like 50% or something I think.

After a long hiatus, I'm back on US1 now. I have a lot more going on now which cuts down on my play time a lot, but I think it might help me stick with it longer.

I think an issue is there aren't really any small but good alliances anymore. By that I mean after like the top 20 alliances, every other one is a totally irrelevant joke. I remember when I first joined, I was in a top 40 alliance that had like three full wings, with the players at top actually knowing how to play. I learned some from them.

So I started my second server and a big player took a shine to me and taught me how to play.

Good point, Con.
    I think the relative lack of players becomes a problem in gaining new folks - there are gaps in the roles people used to play.
    I was in the training wing of a top 10 alliance in my first really successful (personally) server. The training wing was ranked ~50, and yet we didn't suck and had a decent role in the server. Our 2 alliances battled for most of the length of the server against a 2-wing alliance (both top 10) in our quad... and we held our own. Now, anything past the first 20 alliances is usually a joke... and a lot of even those are nothing special. These days there are single player alliances which often rank in the top 40!

I also think the vague (for the average player) endgame of "send reins and wheat and wheat and wheat and wheat" to xx/yy has a lot of folks unwilling to come back. The dropoff of players (even good ones) at the start of WW is huge. For the average player not in leadership, and not having a 100k+ hammer, end game is a bitter disappointment.

And the way everyone goes meta is also not fun. My very first server, it was our ~4-5 wing alliance in the WW race, against like 5 or 6 other teams. The next server, ending a year later, started with just 2 wings and then we joined with another strong alliance towards endgame... but the winning team had literally 1/2 the server in a meta, forcing us to do the same... cheering a win or loss against half of the active players is just not exciting. Win or lose, that's just dull.
    Last edited by MokMonster; 07-11-2011 at 09:46 PM.

I started on server 8 I believe as Gauldarnit. I read all I could in the forums which had a lot of info back then. Now the forum is mostly bickering and chest thumping and if a Noob ask a question he is treated terrible.

I focused on defense right away since I started late and when I had 2 cities a couple players from a big alliance tried to cat me to make me a farm. Lucky for me they sucked at it leaving gaps in waves and not faking my second city. I just kept building traps and defense and dodged the clear and brought troops back for the waves that came after. Eventually they gave up and I ended up with 8 cities and an offense of 5,000 TT's to play with.

Advertising on sites like Hulu might help or late night tv. A mentorship program might help also. Maybe have players sign up for it to where they agree to help new players as their sitters in exchange for free gold.. As long as you stay their sitter and the new player fills out a poll once a week asking if he is doing a good job then he gets the gold for teaching them.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I think an issue is there aren't really any small but good alliances anymore. By that I mean after like the top 20 alliances, every other one is a totally irrelevant joke. I remember when I first joined, I was in a top 40 alliance that had like three full wings, with the players at top actually knowing how to play. I learned some from them.

So I started my second server and a big player took a shine to me and taught me how to play.
    Yes this is very true. Most serious alliances don't have training wings anymore. I know my very first alliance was in the top 40 but not top 20 and that was decent enough.
    http://imageshack.us/a/img690/5194/m...crewmember.jpg
    s7 r1 - Quinnito/KWC (Gemini) s7 r2 - Kazumodo (frenchmaids) s7 r3 Smokey
    s1 r3 - Nemain (DSP)
    s5x - Pootang (DB!)

I started the game in 2010 I think, I saw the ad on a game in Facebook, just like 3NT that gave me free Facebook credits or something if I played the game.

I started 24 days late on s3 and basically simmed until the questmaster told me to build some legions, i was so excited that I had troops that the moment one was made I sent it at the village closest to me, a top 10 player's spawn. Unfortunately I didn't know that you had to send 2 or more troops at a time so it died, but luckily, the top 10 player showed me around the game mechanics and even pointed out some farms for me. He also let me join one of his alliances training wing. What he basically did at that time was sort of use me as a sort of garage and he often asked for wheat to supply his hammer.

One thing I would like to say is that to most of the new players that come here, they might think the gameplay is way to slow, waiting for an hour to level up one building?!? PFFFF

I believe the beginner servers idea is good, and you should make it 2X, that way many people won't quit out of having to wait for hours just for the last level of the barracks or things like that. Also, the beginner server should also be like the Newbie Corner, like moderators and other helpful players can also play there to show the beginners around.

Another thing that I would like to say is that metas are sort of killing the game, so know its basically like the entire server is basically fought between two groups of confeds.

Those are just my opinoins, would like to hear what you guys have to say.

Banned.

I'll keep this short since it's the same story again. I saw an ad on MySpace (back when people still used that) and being obsessed with Roman history back then, I signed up. A large player settled a 15c next to me and when he attacked me, I sent him a well-written letter. Being impressed by the delicacy with which I handled the situation (most farms rattle off nonsensical threats), he took me under his wing.

That lead to leadership the next round. That lead to more leadership. The forum drama drew me in and I was hooked for good.

The problems as I see them: not enough ads, not enough personal interaction in the game and an overall US forum/game base that is overlooked and treated as second class citizens when it comes to announcements about changes/downtime.

I have to get most of my information from people on .com or .uk as they get their announcements sometimes days before us here on .us servers.

It seems that more Travian advertising and player mentoring were some of the biggest reasons why we joined Travian and ended up staying. Advertising is something that could be kicked up again to bring people in, but it's difficult to force people to mentor.

A lot of the reasons mentoring probably dropped off is because players became more competitive and more aggressive and as a result alliances did as well. This meant on a player to player interaction the veteran players were less likely to help out a new player and on an alliance to player interaction the alliances tried to keep standards up and not recruit new players. But what are some ideas to bring back mentoring?

The reason why there were more solid alliances in the top 40 could be attributed to more densely packed servers. A couple of years ago there were more players on a server, less metas (the standard was probably 2 or 3 wings often with a training wing) and usually a couple strong alliances in each quad. It also lead to more competition.

I think many of us miss those days where there were more players and alliances on a server which is why I was curious to hear peoples' ideas on how Travian could get a new wave of players and get them to stay.

The best way to first attract players is by advertising. But once the players click the advertisement and register I don't think Travian can rely on the new players to learn the game for themselves (past the quests) or expect an alliance or veteran player to teach them the ropes anymore. Which is why a more beginner friendly type of server may be a good option.

@Baghernia's post:

I agree with you Baghernia that if the veteran players are the main priority it will bring in even fewer new players and cause no new growth or change within the community. T4 is an improvement, the start up feels faster and there are more quests for players to learn a bit more. And making sure the forums are more user friendly for new players is an extremely valid point as the forums are a great place for new players to learn and find friends that may be able to help them in-game.

@Mok's post:

I'll try to find Wren's idea for a beginner server. (Is this the thread you're talking about?) The player base has changed a lot, players want more action and less wait time. So making a training server that is shorter and, as someone suggest, faster than a normal server new players may be more willing to stay and come back. More in-depth quests are a good idea, and quests that give a better idea of what to expect as the server progresses and end-game comes. I don't think the quests now give a clear idea of what to expect and leave new players feeling like there is no final goal to achieve.

Having experts/mentors guide new players for gold is a good idea. But then there comes the issues of that system being abused for gold. What are the best ways to prevent abuse? Maybe having the Support staff actually become mentors as well as answer Support messages is an idea.

Unfortunately, one training server per e-mail may be hard to enforce. The vets would find ways to make more e-mails, dual with each other, etc. to abuse that and have an advantage. Making sure that the vets don't have an interest of playing on a training server is key. Maybe a limit to the number of attacks a player can receive each day would be enough to deter them? It goes against a lot of our Travian ideals, but at the same time if a new player knows they won't be farmed every 10 minutes every day of the week then they have more hope of being successful. And more time to build up defenses to deter farmers.

As Mok said, a training server could be a great way for new players to make friends to play with once they jump in to the real Travian servers.

@jason_kroeker's post:

If there was any way to have people safely grow around your villages, without you feeling the "need" to cat them to the dust, lest they become a threat, it would help new people stick around. Pre-formed metas starting a new server are probably the worst... they spawn through the first few days/weeks to get good coverage near the origin, then settle throughout most of the quad, and eliminate the entire quad of people who aren't on their team, so they can start simming for endgame.
    Maybe to counter pre-formed alliances taking over a single quad there should be no option to choose the quad you spawn in. As a result everybody would have to go random and either make friends within your quad, make a 4-quad alliance, or have all the members spawn their 2nd villages within the same quad. This would give other alliances that weren't preformed a chance to build up as well as challenge a group of pre-formed players trying to dominate an area of the map.

Your "random spawn" idea of spawning anywhere in a quad is also a good idea. The Travian map is huge, and often only a small percentage near the center is used - except for the players who like to sim a nice cropper in the boonies. Yet random spawning in a quad would use up more of the map and spread players out more. This may also increase space between players so that veterans don't have as many people to wipe out in their 21x21 (or however far they like to claim) and new players are further away from the veterans' troops.

@Nacho's post:

hugglebear is awesome! I played with him in PWNY on later s4 rounds. I miss him.

To turn that into concrete suggestions:
    1) If advertising can get me playing crappy games, surely it can get other people playing Travian.
    Advertising is key. I've clicked on ads for other Travian-like games and all of the ones I've played don't come close to the gameplay of Travian. I like Travian much much more. Compared to it's competitors, Travian is a very good game.

2) Joining with a group of friends really helps out. If there was some way to encourage already established groups of people to sign up, I think it would help a lot. A group that already has established means of communication is an extremely strong asset to a beginning travian player, as you get support and advice from sources you already trust. Not to mention the peer pressure to stick around for at least the rest of that server.
    How would you advertise it so people join with a group of friends? That's a tough thing to do, it's easier to make ads and assume individuals will join, but not as easy to target ads to groups of people that can be friends. I do agree that a group of people does make Travian much more fun and would be ideal to any beginner.

2.1)Maybe something like seeding the newb alliances with more experienced players, or at least giving them access to an alliance advisor type person would help.
    What would this alliance type adviser be? And how would you give them access?

3) What about a beginners server where there were no other human players? I'm thinking like an extremely extended version of the quest system, 20x20 map, 10x speed, where you could get a better feel for the game without the fear of getting attacked. Well, except for the couple of quests where you got attacked, but those would only trigger when it knew you were logged on.
    That's a good idea, but it is probably less doable than a single beginners server where all beginners can go. The human element is key to Travian as well and beginners interacting with each other on the human level is what forms the friendships, alliances, and community that makes Travian successful.

4) Allow people to read the forums without signing up. Well, they can a little bit, but some areas they can't. For example - newbie corner. That would be an excellent one to make public so people can read it without signing up.
    I'm not sure we are allowed to make it so more forums are seen to unregistered users, but there are possibilities of making sure the un-reged users know about the Newbie corner and other features they are missing until they register. Making sure they know of the tools the forum has to offer is ideal though.

This post ended up being super long. I probably didn't address everything I set out to address either. But I appreciate all of you sharing your stories and ideas. If you could pass along the thread to anybody who might be interested that would be great as well!
    Last edited by F.C.; 07-12-2011 at 01:15 AM.

I've always liked Rally point restrictions, 40 max on a newbie server sounds good.

I still think 100 is more than enough for normal servers.

The rally back down was as a sad move to cater for whinging vets, unfortunately those whinging vets are probably part of the decision process.

Random spawning is an excellent idea, people can still settle near each other, but that at least gives newbies more breathing room. Random spawning regardless of time activating an account is also necessary.

I've only learned recently this is how a lot of players spawn near each other, they activate at the same time.

Maybe harsh but a max of 3-4 login ips?/what ever unique identifier Travian wants to use, To help combat excessive dualing?

Sitting already adds a huge element to this game for vets.
    Last edited by Baghernia; 07-12-2011 at 05:32 AM.

I've always liked Rally point restrictions, 40 max on a newbie server sounds good.

I still think 100 is more than enough for normal servers.

The rally back down was as a sad move to cater for whinging vets, unfortunately those whinging vets are probably part of the decision process.
    Especially concerning normal servers, I'd much rather see the return of the old rally point restrictions rather then keep the new rally point and same second attack limitations. We will never see cross quad cata attacks on T4 at least not between 2 competent alliances. Between high cost of faking and the necessity of including strong mid-clears(which makes primary clears less effective) if you desire more then 4 waves of damage, the cost to wage war is significantly increased. Higher cost, higher risk, and lower reward means its a better bet to sim and defend WW hammers then to use them and lose them in what will most likely be a meaningless effort. Of course I struggle to see why TG would have a problem with this. It has been their point to make this a sim game.

Random spawning is an excellent idea, people can still settle near each other, but that at least gives newbies more breathing room. Random spawning regardless of time activating an account is also necessary.
    This would only be effective in the beginning of the server. As the newbies straggle in late, they are guaranteed to be near someone better established in all directions.

I've only learned recently this is how a lot of players spawn near each other, they activate at the same time.

Maybe harsh but a max of 3-4 login ips?/what ever unique identifier Travian wants to use, To help combat excessive dualing?

Sitting already adds a huge element to this game for vets.
    I believe the frustration and difficulty of forming a dual account that isn't plagued with fighting and communication problems is sufficient argument that duals deserve to have duals. Furthermore, limiting IPs is just impractical. For a single person you could easily have a home, work, and mobile ip. Add in random wifi hotspots like lets say while traveling and you could easily end up connecting through a double digit number of external IPs. You don't want to be the person that tells me once I've gotten somewhere, I've exceeded my maximum allowed IPs and have to either restrict myself to my phone's usage (if I had been using one) or be completely unable to check travian.
    S7R1 Gemini's

۝ Pacman Fever Award of Munchiness ۝

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowRose View Post
    same second attack limitations.
    This is why I havent started a serious T4 account, just experimental/dkhead accounts... As much as I believe newbies deserve a chance, people who learned the game deserve the reward of playing/committing a lot of time as well.

This would only be effective in the beginning of the server. As the newbies straggle in late, they are guaranteed to be near someone better established in all directions.
    Yeah that's the point to give them some more breathing room, I don't want to give them free purples...

I believe the frustration and difficulty of forming a dual account that isn't plagued with fighting and communication problems is sufficient argument that duals deserve to have duals. Furthermore, limiting IPs is just impractical. For a single person you could easily have a home, work, and mobile ip. Add in random wifi hotspots like lets say while traveling and you could easily end up connecting through a double digit number of external IPs. You don't want to be the person that tells me once I've gotten somewhere, I've exceeded my maximum allowed IPs and have to either restrict myself to my phone's usage (if I had been using one) or be completely unable to check travian.
    I use to think that, but the game as advanced/there are enough experienced players (US Server) now that I feel its a terminal cancer to the game. I can see why its so heavily looked down upon, and players targeted for destruction on older domains - from what I've heard

No game can last forever in one format, which is why Travian constantly need to innovate.

But the dual factor is a surviving factor that needs to be addressed, as it carries on through different version.

3-4 IP restriction is just random number I've thrown in the air, choosing something like that, like the rally restriction is something needs to be carefully looked at.

How many people are Travian willing to impact, how are those people influence on the game/financially.

There was a lot of talk about how few people would be effected by the 100 rally restriction, it was still removed.

How to play this game ? am newbie to this forum please some one help me !

There was a lot of talk about how few people would be effected by the 100 rally restriction, it was still removed.
    Ehh... especially with the new farm list, I regularly have well over 100 incoming as well as 100 outgoing in a single RP.
    In the past, I rarely had that many going, as micro-raiding was simply too much of a hassle for me to bother with.

Quote Originally Posted by syed2012 View Post
    How to play this game ? am newbie to this forum please some one help me !
    go here and here and read the guides and stickies, syed.
    The newbie corner is a good place for you to ask your questions, but do a little reading first, please.
    Last edited by MokMonster; 07-12-2011 at 02:54 PM.

F.C., I also played my first round of travian on the very first USX. I used the name Underscore for that server. It was a good experience for me. When I started, several players already had pops in the 3-4k range. But I was lucky and didn't spawn very close any real experienced player and was able to sim for quite a while. I ended up joining the Dark Legion alliance led by Seven (the alliance that won the round), and was taught the game. before the round was over, I had over 12k pop, had chiefed more than half of the 26 villages I had, was even in the top 200 attackers. I didn't have a hammer per se, but I was able to keep a chiefing army of over 10K troops in swords and haeds. That is why I stuck around. I guess it's the same reason most everyone else does to...They were taken in by a more experienced player and weren't cata'd just because. They were given a chance to play and have fun. I have yet to play anywhere near as good as I did on that first server....embarrassingly. LOL. But I still play always hoping.

In short form, here's what I think you could do to get more newbies/retain more newbies:

1. Advertising.
    1a. Give benefits to groups of people coming here.
    2. Supported method of mentoring with in-game benefits.
    2a. Figure out a way to restrict dualing.
    3. Newbie server would only be effective if you could keep a veteran from squeaking on there and wrecking havoc.

For those who are not tl;dr kids, read more below:

I started on Travian with a work buddy on usx. We had fun with it, joined Short Bus (first go) and then deleted when it got old. Played another couple of tries but nothing major, nothing memorable until I restarted on S4R2 and was trying to follow T's guide to Romans to a T (ha) and ended up landing next to the snugglebunny account (Hugglebear's Teuton account.) It was the dueling that we had going on there, the personal alliance and the subsequent joining of PWNY (and the guys/gals who were involved in that first server of PWNY) that kept me in the game. I still talk to several of them and their willingness to actually help a newer player understand the concepts of the game went a long way towards getting me to keep playing (and spending gold.)

I think that baghernia's first post is some pure win, though many vets won't like it. That's fine, they don't have to. As to what I feel the issues are and what I think can be done to solve them, here ya go. One thing to keep in mind is that any system put in place to really assist new players will either hamper vets significantly OR be exploitable by them. Chances are the latter, otherwise you'd hear them on here ******** and complaining like the old Rally Point restrictions until HQ removes the system entirely. So, while one can try and minimize the amount of exploitation going on, it's unlikely that you'll stop it entirely.

1. Advertising. I feel this is the most important part. It's been said all over this thread but I rarely see a Travian ad anymore when I'm browsing various gaming sites. If you're not advertising on gaming sites ... you should be, since really only gamers will play things the way they are right now. The first step, before anything else has a CHANCE to even hook someone, is to get them here.

1a. As a subset of advertising, FC asked if there was a real way to draw a group of people. One potential way would be to allow them to put in a specific "code" upon creation which would either give them something (item? rez?) or put them near their friends when they're starting. This would give incentive to actually tell your WoW guild about it or your online MW2 friends. As it stands right now, you MIGHT be close to your friends but probably not within a distance where you'll be able to do any real assisting.

2. Travian's gameplay makes it a cakewalk for veterans to terrorize everything within 20 squares of them within only a few days of a server start. Granted, T4's early gameplay has assisted new people in slowing down those vets through the hero, free cages and soldiers via adventures, etc but I am not sure it's enough to really retain a sizable amount of players. We'll have to see.

One potential way to get more experienced players to assist newer players would be to implement an actual game-play supported mentoring system. One suggestion for such a system would be to get resources or something of that nature for being a mentor. Restrict who you can mentor as being only villas within X of your spawn, giving you a reason not to catapult that newbie who shows up. Mentor/trainee status would be like being a sitter, with a mutual X that can be clicked to remove them (and their benefits) from your account. This would be followed by a message that would appear right when you logged in stating "Bob has removed you as their mentor" so you're not caught with your pants down. As some measure of security for both trainee and mentor, they shouldn't be able to attack each other until Y number of days AFTER removing mentoring status. This would keep the (valid) vet worry of "If I help this guy, he's going to screw me later" from happening under your nose and give vets a real reason to consider helping someone who seems to have half a brain instead of seeing them as an immediate threat to be destroyed.

2a. Limiting dualing in some way would also go a long way towards helping new players. Not sure how, or IF, this should be done but Baghernia is right. Dual/triple accounts rule the servers, simple as that. I would be willing to wager that at least 9/10 of the top 10 accounts on most servers are dual, if not triple or quad, accounts.

Vets won't like this, I know I wouldn't and I cringe at even lending another "Aye" to Baghernia's argument. However, veterans are not the future of this game. We're a cranky, *****y bunch who tend to feel it's our right to continue to play the game how we played it 2 years ago and when you change it and force us to adjust our strategy, we threaten to quit (and some actually do) but our style of gameplay really does hamper TG getting new players. I wouldn't cater to the veterans more than you have to.

3. A newbie server would only really work if you can reliably keep people like Nailzz off the server. Just ONE person like that getting loose on a server would result in a cluster<explicit> of immense proportions and decimate the newbie population.

The only reliable way I can think of (note, I'm not a programmer!) of doing this would be to have people have one account where all of their servers go through. Only allow one account, period, and that account can only access a newbie server once. Anyone found to have more than one account, well, figure something out to do to them but it'll need to be sufficiently nasty to keep people from wanting to do it.

~~~~~

In the end, I think that vets are the root and core of the problem with retaining new players. There simply is not enough reason to be nice to new people in the game. Frankly, it is more beneficial to NOT be friendly to them (at least in the short term) than it is to ever be friendly. Something has to be done to make it worthwhile for vets to want to help people in order to get that attitude changed.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move.
    - Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    Grammar Natzee's Unite!

How would you advertise it so people join with a group of friends? That's a tough thing to do, it's easier to make ads and assume individuals will join, but not as easy to target ads to groups of people that can be friends. I do agree that a group of people does make Travian much more fun and would be ideal to any beginner.
    I have absolutely no idea. You'd probably need to talk to groups that moved over to Travian as a whole to see how they found out about it and what gave them the idea to move as a group.

What would this alliance type adviser be? And how would you give them access?
    This wasn't a terribly well thought out idea. Basically, I was picturing someone who would be available to mentor people in that alliance. In my vague, vague, picture, I see an extra option for the founder of a new alliance "apply for alliance advisor" where when you click that it would take you to a screen giving you more information about the details. I'm not real sure what the details would be, probably a bunch of generic pointing you to good resources in the beginning, and some answering of newb questions. Seems like it would be a good bit of work in the beginning, but eventually you'd be able to amass enough good sources that you wouldn't need to write individual replies for everything, you could just point them to what someone else wrote. I don't really know. My original idea was to somehow encourage experienced players to join and probably lead those newb alliances, but that seemed extremely impractical, and so it got scaled back to just them sharing knowledge without investing gameplay time too. But yeah, the mechanism needs a lot of work before it would be a well formed idea.

That's a good idea, but it is probably less doable than a single beginners server where all beginners can go. The human element is key to Travian as well and beginners interacting with each other on the human level is what forms the friendships, alliances, and community that makes Travian successful.
    True, true. One of TG's other games - imperion - has an interesting take on this, where your first colony is in an entirely separate galaxy that other players can't get to. Then as part of the quest system, you get your second colony in a matter of hours, which should be in the galaxy with everyone else. I like the idea, but it's incredibly difficult to see how that could be transplanted into Travian without basically turning it into another game.

I'm not sure we are allowed to make it so more forums are seen to unregistered users, but there are possibilities of making sure the un-reged users know about the Newbie corner and other features they are missing until they register. Making sure they know of the tools the forum has to offer is ideal though.
    Yeah, it would be weird to have a forum visible when you were logged out that you might not be able to see when you were logged in. But I agree 100% that letting people know about the forums is needed. Maybe forum registration could be added as one of the quests? Though that raises the issue of lots of people registering with their IGNs, which isn't exactly ideal either.

Quote Originally Posted by Legionnaire67 View Post
    3. A newbie server would only really work if you can reliably keep people like Nailzz off the server. Just ONE person like that getting loose on a server would result in a cluster<explicit> of immense proportions and decimate the newbie population.
    The way to do that is to somewhat restrict major hammer building by limiting troops. Yes, I just suggested a sim server. Then you can place support people on accounts in game that are there as alliance leaders. They train others and play some, but they get free gold for their real servers, help players, and teach them how to work together as a team. Make the server 2x like others have said and make it only last 1 month. Release artifacts in week 3 and the alliance with the most wins.

With this it would have the same basic components and I don't think much would have to be done in terms of programing. The limiting troops may be tricky and could be skipped. But the only modification would be that end game changes (but it uses things already written so the change wouldn't be huge).

Have one newbie server per domain. It would reset every 4-6 weeks. Hell, even take cats out of it. Then you wouldn't have to restrict it to just new people. You know that vets will want to play and get on anyways. They will find a way.

IDK, I'm rambling. This probably didn't make sense.

Thron had a good idea for a travian light server. Thron, come share it.

Quote Originally Posted by Legionnaire67 View Post
    Simplistic gameplay, defensive adjustments (double crannies (so 4x for gaul), increased defensive bonuses, start with a zoo, etc) and very tight rally point limits (for attacks, not reins), combined with extremely strict rules regarding ******tery, with more staff and mentors placed there. Or heck, maybe just "no cats" would do the trick. Basically, any method where you try to technologically keep people to one account there won't work. You need to change the incentives/gameplay so that it's not any fun for the bullies.

Quote Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
    Simplistic gameplay, defensive adjustments (double crannies (so 4x for gaul), increased defensive bonuses, start with a zoo, etc) and very tight rally point limits (for attacks, not reins), combined with extremely strict rules regarding ******tery, with more staff and mentors placed there. Or heck, maybe just "no cats" would do the trick. Basically, any method where you try to technologically keep people to one account there won't work. You need to change the incentives/gameplay so that it's not any fun for the bullies.
    Too many restrictions limit the ability to get the bloodlust that turns them into vet's gold spenders

You forget though, Bag, that people play this game and others online for not only the game but the social aspect of it. I could just have easily continued playing other war games on disc. I stuck around here because I talked to, was mentored by, mentored, and laughed.

Besides lack of advertising, people are too wrapped up in trying to make the next 1337 alliance and win the round, they destroy all the new players. I am guilty of that as well. In rounds 2-3 if someone messaged me and asked me to stop attacking, I did as long as they were active. Then we would talk more and figure out who we didn't like in the area and team up against them.

People don't do that a whole lot anymore. Nubz get zero popped as soon as their BP is up. I did that to my neighbors. You do that too. Those people we zero pop don't get a chance to learn to build troops and get a second village. They are killed as soon as possible because they might become a threat.

The rally point restrictions are a good thing, especially when considering a newbie server, since they would reduce the risk of death to newer players that are still learning how to click the buttons. Taking out the cats for those types of servers would be simcity but a lot of people have fun playing that game.

I think what would be a better way would be a more sort of newbie server you could have like a two-phase servers, like in the first phase the player is introduced only to like a 13x13 map and there is a support or someone to help them. There could also be like Natar villages for the player to farm and to make it easy the Natar villages could only attack when the player was on.

Then after the player has gone through like all the quests and stuff and basically learned the steps to the game, they are released into another server, where other players also play but this is basically still a newbie server. The server would be shorter and personally I don't think the no siege is good.... your taking out part of the game. And so to basically determine who wins in the end is the player with the best overall ranking, the player's average of Pop, Attack, and Defense.

Oh yeah, and in the newbie servers no one can spend any gold, gold abusers usually force many early players to delete.

And that's basically it, would like to see your opinoins.

You forget though, Bag, that people play this game and others online for not only the game but the social aspect of it. I could just have easily continued playing other war games on disc. I stuck around here because I talked to, was mentored by, mentored, and laughed.

Besides lack of advertising, people are too wrapped up in trying to make the next 1337 alliance and win the round, they destroy all the new players. I am guilty of that as well.

The rally point restrictions are a good thing, especially when considering a newbie server, since they would reduce the risk of death to newer players that are still learning how to click the buttons. Taking out the cats for those types of servers would be simcity but a lot of people have fun playing that game.
    Yes, but do those players contribute in regards to Gold spending, the back down on the rally point restriction and the 'free gold' for T4, to me comes across as Vet's contributing a significant amount of Travian income.

I don't believe in protecting newbies just for protection sake, but protecting newbies so that they become players who newbies need to be protected from.

A strong element of Travian gameplay, is the evolution of the player, this needs to be maintained, even though its detrimental effect on newbies.

There are a lot of people who have been playing this game for years, there isn't that many "basic" games out there that can do that. Taking out cat's removes the bloodlust part of the game. Kind of like iphona/Android games, where being attacked really doesn't mean anything - sure they make money, but that's a totally different market.

The story of how I ran into travian.
    I came across an ad on another game I was looking at that said: Which weapon did the Romans use? or something like that. There was a spear, a sword and a mace I think. I obviously clicked on the sword.
    This is my second time going through Travian. The first time I angered an alliance of 30 people and they hunted me down on every server I went to, chiefed all my cities but my capital and catted my capital to the ground on every server I played on. Two years later, I came back.
    When I started this time, I was joining late to every server. Four servers all ended up the same. Chiefed and catted. Then I came to US. on usx and us7 I got farmed and catted and on us4 I am pretty horrible. (Lower than rank 1000 for general.) But, on us1, I am top ten for raiders.

My cousin started playing from an ad on another game site. Then he dragged me in to watch his account while he was at work. This was the beginning of s1r2. He went for immersion learning and started accounts on s3 and s4 as well which were at midgame. On s4 we were catted out existance when endgame rolled around but on s3 we managed to make friends with a couple of the big guys in the neighborhood and ended up in the training wing of the winning alliance. We payed tribute to them and asked questions and learned alot.

My cousin was a strictly defensive gaul and by the time s6r1 started I had had all I could stand of playing defense so I struck out on my own as teut. I had a blast.

I keep coming back because Travian is one of the few non flash games around. I despise flash because the games are super slow on my computer.

I like the aggressiveness of Travian, the communication required between players whether they are your alliance mates or your "enemies". I actually like working out how to survive in a hostile environment. Whether I survive or not, I find Travian fun.

I am homeschooled and I have used Travian for school projects. It is a great resource for math projects. I suppose if I wrote a guide it could be squeezed in as an English project but I really don't like writing so I will leave it at math. LOL

I saw someone mention that people come in and expect to be instantly successful and I agree that that is what happens alot. Travian has a learning curve and if you come in expecting instant success, you will walk away disappointed.

What might be interesting is to find the ages of the people who stick around. I would be willing to bet that the majority are over 20. In my long career on travian I have rarely run into anybody my own age that is a continuous player. Once they have found the age factor it might be good to target ads to that age group.
    or
    It's the luck of the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Probability Indigo View Post
    I saw someone mention that people come in and expect to be instantly successful and I agree that that is what happens alot. Travian has a learning curve and if you come in expecting instant success, you will walk away disappointed.
    It was me. I'm on my ? 8th or 10th server (4th one where I'm really playing a whole round) and I'm still learning new things and getting better.
    I think you need to play a good portion of at least one server just to learn the basics and be able to play competently. That's why I liked Wren's idea (which I can't find) of having a newbie server.
    And to answer the several folks who said, "there's no way to keep a vet off the server" I would offer these ideas which were added to the idea in the thread I can't find:
    1 - restrictions on farming frequency - you can only hit someone once every ~2 hours and no more than 5 times in a 24-hr period.
    2 - cats don't do permanent damage - buildings should regenerate over a 12-24 hr period. This lets folks experience the devastation of war's effects, w/out the total frustration and deletion that a real catting causes.

3 - no ribbons - equals no bragging rights over the server.

I think with those ^ restrictions, most vets will find the server rather pointless except for experimentation purposes. But finally:

4 - the MH and/or APs (appointed mentors) can graduate (kick) someone from a server. If a player clearly knows what he's doing, he doesn't belong there. Get rid of them. They're only hurting the learning experience if they're that far beyond everyone else. When everyone on the server is still struggling to figure out the basics, and 1 guy has 4 villages and cats, he doesn't need to be there. His apprenticeship is done, and he's booted.

What might be interesting is to find the ages of the people who stick around. I would be willing to bet that the majority are over 20.
    Yes, most Travian'ers are in college or older. It takes a lot of skills -- patience, perseverance, a lot of math, and even a decent level of reading and writing comprehension -- that the younger crowd doesn't really have (as a general rule).
    Last edited by MokMonster; 07-13-2011 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Probability Indigo View Post
    What might be interesting is to find the ages of the people who stick around. I would be willing to bet that the majority are over 20. In my long career on travian I have rarely run into anybody my own age that is a continuous player. Once they have found the age factor it might be good to target ads to that age group.
    I'm not over 20.