Thread: BreakingNews: Star Wars 7 Announced! This is not a drill! Repeat this is not a drill!

Default BreakingNews: Star Wars 7 Announced! This is not a drill! Repeat this is not a drill!

Disney Bought LucusFilms for $4 Billion and then announced Star Wars 7 for 2015!!

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/...oming-in-2015/
    http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/169...uestions.jhtml

Not so long ago, right here in this very galaxy, Disney bought Lucasfilm, and a new "Star Wars" movie was born.

Disney's latest acquisition and the announcement of "Star Wars Episode 7" is easily one of the most energizing and polarizing pop culture announcements in recent history. A seventh film in the "Star Wars" series has long been rumored, and soon, it'll be a reality, under Disney's supervision no less.

But with the news only hours old, many questions still surround the return of the Jedi to the silver screen. Here are five of them.

Role Call
    The implication of the "Episode 7" title is that we're out of prequel territory and into the land beyond the original trilogy. That's scary turf for a few reasons, one of the big ones being... well, who's going to return? It's hard to imagine Harrison Ford getting on board with a Han Solo reprise given his cold stance towards "Star Wars" over the years, unless a Millennium Falcon-load of cash arrives at his front door. It's easier to see how other franchise mainstays like C-3PO actor Anthony Daniels or Chewbacca himself, Peter Mayhew might return without the promise of similarly massive paychecks. There's also this dreaded possibility: recasting. We shudder to think.

Playing It By The Books
    Even though the theatrical story ended with "Return of the Jedi," the "Star Wars" saga has continued in the form of novels, comic books, video games and beyond. There are countless stories chronicling the continuing adventures of Luke Skywalker and friends to mine from but will Disney feel obligated to honor a continuity known only by the most faithful of "Star Wars" fans, or will they bring their own stories to bear upon a greater mainstream audience?

What About George?
    Many fans will feel that the founder of this franchise needs to have his say in the ongoing story. Others, like those who were burned by the prequel trilogy and Lucas' seemingly endless "Star Wars" alterations, are likely yub-nubbing in their finest Ewok attire right now. No matter how involved Lucas is going forward, this much is clear: he just handed the keys to one of the biggest film franchises of all time over to one of the biggest corporations of all time. To riff on Darth Vader's own words, Lucas is the student, and Mickey is the master now.

Who Is The New George?
    If Lucas is no longer repping the Rebellion, who does Disney get to step into the franchise's spotlight? A big name is needed to spearhead "Star Wars" going forward, someone with name recognition, a person with credibility in the geek community. "Star Trek" helmer J.J. Abrams is an obvious, but otherwise committed, choice, as is "Avengers" director Joss Whedon though he already has his hands full with a Disney-owned franchise of his own. Regardless of who Disney selects, it can't just be Joe the Director; they need a name who will reassure fans that one of the most precious genre stories of all time is in safe hands.

This Is The Apocalypse, Right?
    Has the Empire won? Like, did Luke and Leia and Han and everyone fail and all that is wrong in the world is happening now? Let's not get carried away. Disney's "Star Wars" is a scary idea, sure, but it's not necessarily a bad one. Heck, it might even be a good one. Think about the possibilities: Pixar-animated "Star Wars" yarns, the unaltered original trilogy on Blu-ray (where Lucas was stubborn on this point, Disney will only see dollar signs), and brand new adventures starring some of the most iconic characters in the history of cinema. More "Star Wars" comes with lots of risk, but also lots of potential reward. As Yoda so wisely called it: "Do, or do not. There is no try." For better or worse, Disney is doing it. And that takes some seriously sized space-balls.
    Last edited by Lord Bane; 10-30-2012 at 11:51 PM.

Oh goody, another Disney abortion incoming.
    Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi loqui debuit ac potuit.

[7:32 AM] Jason (Al Bundy raidslave): Who the **** loses an arti to 18 phalanx
    [7:32 AM] Old Timer US1: The same faction that loses one to 66 legos

Banned.

Same it's going to suck. Sorry LB but this is just as disappointing as the time I thought I got tickets to see Kiss.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwBgSOCTGLw
    Last edited by Zeustradamus; 10-31-2012 at 12:58 AM.

If they do make up their own story I wonder if fans would actually accept it as cannon? And if so: how badly are they going to butcher the current timeline?

Banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeustradamus View Post
    Same it's going to suck. Sorry LB but this is just as disappointing as the time I thought I got tickets to see Kiss.
    I remember you telling us about that. You should have read the rest of the name of the event on the tickets: Two beefcakes kiss in the night.

You said you had a better time anyways, so...

Quote Originally Posted by 5m4llP0X View Post
    If they do make up their own story I wonder if fans would actually accept it as cannon? And if so: how badly are they going to butcher the current timeline?
    Could create something new. Trooper story line for example, the kids seem to love that.
    Could follow canon from the books.
    Sure they're more concerned with making big bucks, canon that appeals to all, vs George's die hard book fans.

The book series has quite a following.

Oh man, this is news I've waited 20 years for.
    Have you caught the Star Wars: The Clone Wars series? Good stories, action, voice work/casting - it ******* rocks, and in some ways better than the movies did.
    Open the freaking doors and let those who love the Star Wars universe create MORE STUFFES! For the love of Gump, too ******* long for this to have happened!
    Screw the canon. The retconned Star Trek was pretty sweet.
    Look at this! http://shelf-life.ew.com/2012/03/22/...-cover-reveal/
    Tell me that cover alone doesn't say 'make me into a mooooooooooooooooooovie!'
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

It'll probably be **** in terms of "original vision" and "keeping continuity" and all that but for us normal people who just watch it for the silly aliens and cool explosions this might be pretty cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Che View Post
    why can't women drive?

Quote Originally Posted by supercomputers View Post
    It'll probably be **** in terms of "original vision" and "keeping continuity" and all that but for us normal people who just watch it for the silly aliens and cool explosions this might be pretty cool.
    Original vision was Kurasama meets John Wayne's The Searchers.
    Continuity is easy enough to keep up on.

I want the freakin Milennium Falcon back!!!
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

Sometimes, for some series, you just have to let a series die...

Star Wars is not one of them.
    "Semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit."

Eh, I'm indifferent to this. Not much of a Star Wars fan. I'll probably watch it, and like it, but I'm not gonna be picky like a super-fan will.

The book series (actually there are a couple of them) are awesome. Disney practiced on John Carter, and I disagreed with most and liked it, so I believe they'll do just fine with it all.
    Roses are red; violets are blue. I shagged your girl; maybe tomorrow you can to.

At this point, I trust Disney more than Lucas.

According to the plans I have read, the series will pick up were Return of the Jedi left off an will follow the story of Luke, Hans, and Leia.

Also, I think what was missed in the article is that Disney now also owns the Indiana Jones series as well as Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound. Ain't nothing but a rated "G" thang...

Quote Originally Posted by Tifforo View Post
    At this point, I trust Disney more than Lucas.
    Disney took a hands off approach with Pixar after they purchased them and Pixar movies have continued to be good. And seriously, after Jar Jar Binks I don't think the series can get any worse

One thing is for sure, Jar Jar Binks will be in a Disney parade at a park near you very soon.
    Bibo ergo sum

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy1721 View Post
    Disney took a hands off approach with Pixar after they purchased them and Pixar movies have continued to be good. And seriously, after Jar Jar Binks I don't think the series can get any worse

One thing is for sure, Jar Jar Binks will be in a Disney parade at a park near you very soon.
    I'm pretty sure Disney already had Jar Jar binks running around. I haven't been to Florida in a while, but the last time I went I remember going on a Star Wars ride where there were some characters from the movies running around in costume.
    "Semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit."

There will also be episodes 8 and 9, following on from which there'll be a new film every 2-3 years. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20146942
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    Josh: You're a Brit. You can't do anything rite.
    Quote Originally Posted by To Be Somebody View Post
    Reserved for my very negative, hate-filled, prejudiced opinion on what Joshyyy said.

I wonder if they can actually do worse than Lucas. I mean Hayden Christensen was pretty bottom of the barrel.

Banned.

Quote Originally Posted by 5m4llP0X View Post
    I wonder if they can actually do worse than Lucas. I mean Hayden Christensen was pretty bottom of the barrel.
    This is Disney.

Think Bieber and be afraid. Be very afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    This is Disney.

He can play Mara.

This is Disney.

If they animate it, yeah.
    If they give it to any director that has *SOME* concern with his reputation than no.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    Josh: You're a Brit. You can't do anything rite.
    Quote Originally Posted by To Be Somebody View Post
    Reserved for my very negative, hate-filled, prejudiced opinion on what Joshyyy said.

Did anyone see The Avengers? A Marvel movie distributed by Disney?
    I'm telling ya, this could be a very good thing!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    Did anyone see The Avengers? A Marvel movie distributed by Disney?
    I'm telling ya, this could be a very good thing!!
    [
    If there is a God, He must really love stupid people. Look how many He made.

It'll be fine, Lucas was a freaking hack who got way too micro with his work. They've got the one thing he's actually good at (the story arc), so long as they put a decent director in it and actually invest time for a good screen play it'll be golden.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

This is Disney.

Luke, I am your... Baby baby baby, Oooooh!
    Roses are red; violets are blue. I shagged your girl; maybe tomorrow you can to.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post

For the win

TCG says... sign your -Rep, cowards. I don't -Rep people just because they -Rep me.
    The Dinosaur says: (img)Image removed (/img) http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/x...eSignature.png