Results 1 to 30 of 30

Thread: Travel advice?

  1. #1

    Default Travel advice?

    Hi, wondering if any of you had some tips...

    I am visiting some family in San Francisco in the fall. Plan is to fly via New York City or Newark and stay there for a few days on the outbound trip. I have room in the schedule to visit one more city on the return leg. I was thinking Chicago. Is that a safe bet or do anyone have a better idea for a lonesome traveler that rarely goes out of my cage at home?
    Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

  2. #2
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    20,773

    Default

    Don't stay in Newark. lol

    NYC is where it's at.

  3. #3
    Philosopher El Che's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Smalltimore
    Posts
    4,161

    Default

    Baltimore!

  4. #4
    Consul
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,816

    Default

    Extend your stay in SF. I agree with Baron...NYC over Newark (anything over Newark)

    Not sure how suited Chicago is for solo tourism. Consider Boston or Seattle.

  5. #5
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    20,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by El Che View Post
    Baltimore!
    Baltimore is the biggest craphole I've ever had the displeasure of going through besides Detroit.

    I mean, roofs are caved in all over the place, windows broken, patchwork houses. Unless you go to the waterfront (which gets boring quick), avoid Baltimore at all costs.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    Don't stay in Newark. lol

    NYC is where it's at.
    Thanks- The plane from my country lands in Newark hehe.. But I will bite the apple and pay more for a hotel in the city
    Quote Originally Posted by El Che View Post
    Baltimore!
    I have seen The Wire, so not so keen

    Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    Extend your stay in SF. I agree with Baron...NYC over Newark (anything over Newark)

    Not sure how suited Chicago is for solo tourism. Consider Boston or Seattle.
    Hmm, thanks! Seattle might be a little detour, but Boston fits perfectly really. I'm strongly considering and will investigate further. Will also save a flight by going direct to Europe from Boston.
    Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

  7. #7
    Philosopher El Che's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Smalltimore
    Posts
    4,161

    Default

    There are small pockets of win, that's why it's charm city! The waterfront isn't the only fun place in Baltimore




    Inner Harbor, Fells Point, Downtown, Lexington Market, the University of Maryland-Baltimore, Mount Vernon, Station North Arts, Charles St, Bolton Hill, Federal Hill, Locust Point, Pigtown, Station North Arts District, Hampden, Loyola, Johns Hopkins, Mount Washington, Canton, Patterson Park, Highlandtown, Greektown, Druid Hill Park, Gwynns Falls/Leakin Park,



    Pimlico if there's a horse that loves you!

  8. #8
    Philosopher Nichts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    USS Yorktown
    Posts
    11,751

    Default

    It really, really depends on what you want to see. If you're into night life and expensive touristy things, New York and Chicago fit the bill.

    Personally, I've always hated the big cities. They're crowded, dirty (relatively), and WAY too expensive. There's all sorts of fascinating things to see outside of them.

  9. #9
    Philosopher Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Davis, CA
    Posts
    13,219

    Default

    San Francisco is awesome. I highly recommend some of the other big west coast cities as well (Portland and Seattle in particular) if you like wandering around at night and getting majestic donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    OMG, Wodey found a woman who agrees with him. He must be right, cos all women are always right all the time.

  10. #10
    Philosopher Vash103's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Here obviously...
    Posts
    3,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    Baltimore is the biggest craphole I've ever had the displeasure of going through besides Detroit.

    I mean, roofs are caved in all over the place, windows broken, patchwork houses. Unless you go to the waterfront (which gets boring quick), avoid Baltimore at all costs.
    Dude, I live in MD. Baron is absolutely right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    By Gump's magical shoes, you've been around since 2007 - how is that possible?
    I know I'm what you're dreaming of. My name is Vash, man of love.

  11. #11
    Consul Kurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The land of the ice and snow
    Posts
    24,821

    Default

    Surely the cheapest is to fly KLM? If so, you can either stop in Chicago or go direct to SF (although there are other alternatives of course). Personally, I'd fly direct from Schipol.

    I'd definitely go with Seattle myself. Lovely city. Never been to Portland thought, but I hear great things about it. Chicago is quite fun, but O'Hare is a bloody nightmare especially when going from international to domestic or vice versa. New York is also fun, but hopping off half way through an already long flight just makes things even worse when it comes to jet lag. Alternatively, you could go down to SoCal Summer can tell you ALL about that. Don't go to LA. It sucks. Or just stay in SF. It is definitely my favourite city that I've been to in the US.

  12. #12
    Philosopher Erknen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    the funny Farm
    Posts
    5,152

    Default

    I've been to Chicago a few times and what I have is this to say.
    Go see the giant bean.
    If there is a God, He must really love stupid people. Look how many He made.

  13. #13

    Default

    YES our giant bean is awesome. Also the museums are quite fantastic and we have two great zoo's, amazing food, etc I could go on and on.
    S1R3- Seoul braddah-Yarr
    S1R4 Dollface- 7RU FTW!!!!!
    S1R5 ThatGuy- HB
    S1R6 Yosemite Sam-Toons
    S3-Raefon-DOS
    S3-OnePiece
    S5R7- OnePiece

  14. #14
    Consul Lurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Midwest U.S.
    Posts
    5,574

    Default

    First of all, **** CHICAGO. I'd rather **** a horse **** in the *** with my ******* **** that hasn't seen any ******* or even ****** in quite a long ************ ****.

    NYC is fine but if you have claustrophobia or don't like huge cities, or are paranoid about getting mugged/stabbed/shot then I'd go with D.C. The travel system is much cleaner, it's somewhat less expensive, and the homeless are less visible. Plus you have cops all over the metro.

    Newark....lol.

    Don't go through Minneapolis, either.

    **** Los Angeles.
    Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi loqui debuit ac potuit.

    [7:32 AM] Jason (Al Bundy raidslave): Who the **** loses an arti to 18 phalanx
    [7:32 AM] Old Timer US1: The same faction that loses one to 66 legos

  15. #15
    Philosopher Loyalist42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Somewhere between the library and a keg...
    Posts
    2,459

    Default

    Seattle's pretty sweet. Pittsburgh's awesome. I actually do like Cleveland, as well.
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...ForumSiggy.jpg


    May the road rise up to meet your feet, may the wind be always at your back, and may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead

  16. #16
    Philosopher Erknen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    the funny Farm
    Posts
    5,152

    Default

    Oh yes, if you decide for some reason to go to Mexico. DO NOT see a burro show.
    If there is a God, He must really love stupid people. Look how many He made.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    First of all, **** CHICAGO. I'd rather **** a horse **** in the *** with my ******* **** that hasn't seen any ******* or even ****** in quite a long ************ ****.

    NYC is fine but if you have claustrophobia or don't like huge cities, or are paranoid about getting mugged/stabbed/shot then I'd go with D.C. The travel system is much cleaner, it's somewhat less expensive, and the homeless are less visible. Plus you have cops all over the metro.

    Newark....lol.

    Don't go through Minneapolis, either.

    **** Los Angeles.
    dont hate
    S1R3- Seoul braddah-Yarr
    S1R4 Dollface- 7RU FTW!!!!!
    S1R5 ThatGuy- HB
    S1R6 Yosemite Sam-Toons
    S3-Raefon-DOS
    S3-OnePiece
    S5R7- OnePiece

  18. #18
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    20,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erknen View Post
    Oh yes, if you decide for some reason to go to Mexico. DO NOT see a burro show.
    What's wrong with you?

    DEFINITELY see a donkey show. The seedier part of town, the better; just make sure you go with a few people so you don't get robbed.

  19. #19

    Default

    Um, Vegas. Totally tourist friendly, even for the solo traveler. I think D.C. is also a great spot to visit and see cool stuff.

  20. #20

    Default

    New Orleans, go there and hit the clubs or stumble into some street fest.

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nichts View Post
    It really, really depends on what you want to see. If you're into night life and expensive touristy things, New York and Chicago fit the bill.

    Personally, I've always hated the big cities. They're crowded, dirty (relatively), and WAY too expensive. There's all sorts of fascinating things to see outside of them.
    Being from a small city, I am attracted by big cities. As I am going to NYC/SFO, the third city doesn't have to be a huge one, as long as it has good flight connections. The ideal trip would have been by road on the west coast maybe? But it's not as fun alone I guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    San Francisco is awesome. I highly recommend some of the other big west coast cities as well (Portland and Seattle in particular) if you like wandering around at night and getting majestic donuts
    Hmm, I'll check flights to Seattle or Portland. Thanks for the advice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    Surely the cheapest is to fly KLM? If so, you can either stop in Chicago or go direct to SF (although there are other alternatives of course). Personally, I'd fly direct from Schipol.

    I'd definitely go with Seattle myself. Lovely city. Never been to Portland thought, but I hear great things about it. Chicago is quite fun, but O'Hare is a bloody nightmare especially when going from international to domestic or vice versa. New York is also fun, but hopping off half way through an already long flight just makes things even worse when it comes to jet lag. Alternatively, you could go down to SoCal Summer can tell you ALL about that. Don't go to LA. It sucks. Or just stay in SF. It is definitely my favourite city that I've been to in the US.
    The cheapest tickets is (atm) with Scandinavian Airlines and United (only 1000 dollars return OSL-SFO). But I have heard KLM is good as well, so if they have a sale later on, I'll pick them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Erknen View Post
    I've been to Chicago a few times and what I have is this to say.
    Go see the giant bean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bacon View Post
    YES our giant bean is awesome. Also the museums are quite fantastic and we have two great zoo's, amazing food, etc I could go on and on.
    Lurk seems displeased with the city, so I became a bit hesitant now Giant bean looks awesome though!

    I won't go to Mexico due to the unlawfulness in some regions there. I'm a bit of slot machine junkie, so I'll avoid going to Las Vegas alone too, to avoid loosing all my money. I see northern west coast is where I would have a closer look (as well as Boston) - if not just staying in San Francisco for longer

    Thanks for the inputs!
    Last edited by Mordiii; 01-08-2013 at 05:32 PM.
    Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

  22. #22
    Consul Kurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The land of the ice and snow
    Posts
    24,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordiii View Post
    The cheapest tickets is (atm) with Scandinavian Airlines and United (only 1000 dollars return OSL-SFO). But I have heard KLM is good as well, so if they have a sale later on, I'll pick them.
    I'm surprised. I've flown back and forth a bunch of times and KLM have pretty much always been cheapest. I flew so much with them to the US mainly (for work) that I ended up with a platinum card and I'd never flown anything except economy.

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    I'm surprised. I've flown back and forth a bunch of times and KLM have pretty much always been cheapest. I flew so much with them to the US mainly (for work) that I ended up with a platinum card and I'd never flown anything except economy.
    I was also surprised to see one of the last dinosaurs having the cheapest flights, but it maybe has something to do with the connection flight to the north? Oh well, shan't complain
    Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

  24. #24
    Consul Kurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The land of the ice and snow
    Posts
    24,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordiii View Post
    I was also surprised to see one of the last dinosaurs having the cheapest flights, but it maybe has something to do with the connection flight to the north? Oh well, shan't complain
    Could be. Only ever flown regularly to the US from Stavanger.

    But maybe it is because SAS are going bankrupt. They've finally realised that they actually need to be competitive.

  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordiii View Post
    Hi, wondering if any of you had some tips...

    I am visiting some family in San Francisco in the fall. Plan is to fly via New York City or Newark and stay there for a few days on the outbound trip. I have room in the schedule to visit one more city on the return leg. I was thinking Chicago. Is that a safe bet or do anyone have a better idea for a lonesome traveler that rarely goes out of my cage at home?
    I don't think Southern California/LA would be worth going out of your way for, unless there are some core areas you would really like to see.

    You may want to think about extending your time in San Francisco, and doing road-trips out to wine country, etc.

    Also...It's good that you're staying in NYC, it would be a shame to be so close to the city and then settle for Newark.


  26. #26

    Default

    I agree with the consensus that L.A. is not worth visiting in anyone's lifetime.

  27. #27

    Meherrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a universe of my own design
    Posts
    4,208

    Default

    From the perspective of a former frequent visitor to the US, try Seattle if you want more of that west coast feeling, Boston if you want more east coast fun.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

  28. #28

    Default

    I feel the need to step in here.

    To everyone who is recommending Seattle, why the **** would you recommend Seattle? It looks like any other city, the only thing that distinguishes Seattle is that stupid Space Needle.

    Heres a photo of downtown Seattle on a friday night:


    If I didn't tell you that that was a picture of Seattle, you'd never have known which city that was and that's a pic from a blog written about Seattle's nightlife. No one cares if you've ever been to Seattle or have not been to Seattle, it's a great place to go if you want to be bored out of your ******* mind.

    I still say New Orleans, because frankly, there is no place in the world that is like it. It has culture woven into it that breathes vibrancy, Brad Pitt who has moved there has stated "the greatest thing about stepping out from my apartment balcony in New Orleans is that I can hear a symphony of Jazz music from five different directions." The entertainment in New Orleans is organic, the people bring it upon the city naturally in coexistence. Then there is the architecture that is like no other in its uses of vibrant colors, it's a beautiful city with hundreds of years of history, together with French, Spanish, Caribbean and American influences in architecture and planning - no other place on earth has this!



    Theres also that essence of wandering and walking about:


    There's also the chance of coming across a procession or parade, as there is always something going on. It's the best city to visit in the U.S.A. furthermore every tourist dollar is dollar well spent to rebuild the city after Katrina - as some areas are still in recovery.

    /end rant.
    Last edited by Summer; 01-10-2013 at 11:53 AM.

  29. #29
    Consul Kurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The land of the ice and snow
    Posts
    24,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    why the **** would you recommend Seattle?
    Best Swedish meatballs I've ever had. And I've travelled a LOT in Sweden.

    But other than that, it is just a brilliantly fun city.

  30. #30
    Consul Lurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Midwest U.S.
    Posts
    5,574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    If I didn't tell you that that was a picture of Seattle, you'd never have known which city that was
    To be fair, you could say that about loads of pictures of cities across the globe; for example, when you posted your picture of the multicolored doors it reminded me a lot of being in Managua. It also reminded me of an alley I encountered once in Montreal when I went there last March, but the memory of that night is kind of fuzzy so I'll just stick with Latin America for now.

    Just because a picture of it sucks doesn't mean there's nothing to do there.
    Qui tacet consentire videtur, ubi loqui debuit ac potuit.

    [7:32 AM] Jason (Al Bundy raidslave): Who the **** loses an arti to 18 phalanx
    [7:32 AM] Old Timer US1: The same faction that loses one to 66 legos

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •