Thread: Give back the standard forum option!

Default Give back the standard forum option!

So, I noticed that forums were down this morning... "for maintenance" (and as far as I can tell, another case of non-announced maintenance at that). And now that we can log in again, I see our "standard VB forum" option is gone... now our only option for forum-skins are Travian-based. All this silly background colouring and such.

I thought this came up fairly recently, and there was an outcry to be able to bring back the "boring" forum view... for those who check forums at work (or school, or maybe even other places). So at that time, it was brought back. And now it's gone again.

So we ask again, can you please give back the option to use the basic VB forum skin?

Among your myelinating glia-oligodendrocytes

As far as I know, this maintenance was unannounced for Fighter and I as well. It looks like they may have updated us to a new version as I've noticed some new tabs and a new box at the bottom. We don't have a lot of options on what we can do with the forum skin. I'll talk to Fighter to see if we can bring it back, but it may be the case that TG would prefer that we only use the official Travian skins.

Quote Originally Posted by jason_kroeker View Post
    So we ask again, can you please give back the option to use the basic VB forum skin?
    If you scroll to the bottom on the left hand side is a drop down menu. The last item is "Standard Mobile Style" which is just the VB forum skin I believe...
    Quote Originally Posted by CorporateSlave3 View Post
    The Gauls in the fantasy world of Travian decided to call their catapult thingy a trebuchet to confuse the enemy. "Captain! Have the cavalry target the enemy trebuchet!" "Sir! We can't find it!" "Then keep looking Captain! Never mind that other thing hurling large rocks in our direction!"

Philosopher Principal Brian Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawks View Post
    If you scroll to the bottom on the left hand side is a drop down menu. The last item is "Standard Mobile Style" which is just the VB forum skin I believe...
    It isn't the vb default skin, it's even more minimalist than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotmilk View Post
    It isn't the vb default skin, it's even more minimalist than that.
    Exactly. I'd still like full functionality, but don't want all the images.

I mean, we've been asking for the same thing for the game (a "plainer" graphics-pack), especially since T4 came out, and they haven't listened. So I wouldn't be surprised if they're finally giving the same answer about the forum.

But it's still worth asking. If we can get the basic forum back, it would be appreciated.

Just adblock the images. The end. Even with our super strict security at work, I can add Adblock Plus to my brower.

Also, I have a bunch of "No Comment Made" reps. What happened there? I'm guessing they're all the ones where people have said, "." instead of commenting, but it seems strange.

Wait, have I just not scrolled down the page for awhile or did they just add the list of the reps you gave out?
    S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie (night shift) S5-r3 Tyche (night shift) S7-r3 Chuckles (night shift)
    S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country (day shift) S5-r7(AEU) Office Space S19-r2 (SE) The Joker

Quote Originally Posted by Tineren View Post
    Wait, have I just not scrolled down the page for awhile or did they just add the list of the reps you gave out?
    That's new. Thanks for pointing it out for me.

I'm pretty sure that is brand new, it also lists your rep power right above that.

Then I have a long ways to go. Sad how low mine is.

Quote Originally Posted by kabooja View Post
    Then I have a long ways to go. Sad how low mine is.
    Well considering most of it comes from how long you have been a member, and you joined this year, that's really to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotmilk View Post
    I'm pretty sure that is brand new, it also lists your rep power right above that.
    ooooooo. No more repping people and asking them to do the math!!
    My rep stick is mighty!
    Quote Originally Posted by gebne View Post
    St. Chak, glorious atelier, faithful servant and bearer of thong,
    the stain of the troll has caused you to be forgotten by many,
    but the true forum invokes you universally as the patron of things despised of;
    pray for me, that finally I may receive the alterations and the couture of thongs in all my fripperies, ornamentations, and trimmings,
    particularly those of purple hue, and that I may read Chak with the thong throughout Eternity.

This is a good implementation allowing for no more reputation myths. Now to abolish unsigned dereps would be a nice change as well.

Who cares, the forum blows these days. Half assed attempt with doing something to breathe some life back into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    Who cares, the forum blows these days. Half assed attempt with doing something to breathe some life back into it.
    No, it is TG's way to try to actually kill it. Now they removed the one feature I actually liked about the rep system. You used to be able to click on the star where you give rep for your own post and it would pull up all the rep comments for that post, you can't do that anymore.

I find that TG is completely insensitive to the North American market. For instance, why is .com able to change their forum banners with the seasons, they even have contests for it, but we are not.
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

Among your myelinating glia-oligodendrocytes

Quote Originally Posted by Flossie Schmumpus View Post

I find that TG is completely insensitive to the North American market. For instance, why is .com able to change their forum banners with the seasons, they even have contests for it, but we are not.
    I didn't think we were allowed to make changes like that to the forum any more. If we are, I'd love to do something like that.

I won 300 Gold for the Travian Wallpaper Competition or au/nz. Sadly my submission didn't make it to the Facebook voting stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    Also, I have a bunch of "No Comment Made" reps. What happened there? I'm guessing they're all the ones where people have said, "." instead of commenting, but it seems strange.
    "No Comment Made" just replaced the blank positive reps. I still have neg reps that just say ".".

Oh my gosh, finally! I've been asking for that for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
    I didn't think we were allowed to make changes like that to the forum any more. If we are, I'd love to do something like that.
    Bella, the .com forum right now has a special October banner with Autumn leaves and all.
    Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison

While I agree bringing the Banner Competition to the us. domain will be wonderful, we need to be different, and not copy everything. You understand.
    Last edited by kabooja; 10-09-2013 at 05:24 AM.

We used to be able to do fun stuff like that and then a while ago they were stopped and we were told you couldn't change the banners anymore.

Well then, yay it is back!