Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brits Confuse American Food

Default Brits Confuse American Food

for best burgers I mix 2:1 prime mince with good sausage meat (I get homekill mince and sausage meat which is premium organic beef, but you will just have to do), and then add a bit of stock powder, woscester sauce and bbq sauce and onion to taste. No egg needed as the sausage mix does for binder. Can add breadcrumb/flour or millet if you want to soak up some of the fat for flavour, but this is nice as meat burger...
    http://forum.travian.co.uk/showthrea...=1#post1504632

I think they're confused with the difference between meatloaf and hamburgers...cause seriously...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

Customer Service Team Grasshopper's Avatar

What that guy listed out for his burgers could easily be made into a meatloaf as well for sure. I know some like a lot of stuff in their burgers. However, I prefer mine to be simple. Ground beef, usually sirloin, some salt and pepper, and that's it. No need to reinvent the wheel for a delicious burger.

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    What that guy listed out for his burgers could easily be made into a meatloaf as well for sure. I know some like a lot of stuff in their burgers. However, I prefer mine to be simple. Ground beef, usually sirloin, some salt and pepper, and that's it. No need to reinvent the wheel for a delicious burger.
    With some things, simpler is indeed better. Though I will admit to putting sauteed mushrooms on my simpke ground meat burgers along with the pepper.
    And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

So I'm the process of buying a cafe in Los Angeles, the sellers accepted my offer and escrow begins the 17th.

I've been researching ideas of cold brewed teas and parfaits.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    So I'm the process of buying a cafe in Los Angeles, the sellers accepted my offer and escrow begins the 17th.

1.) Is it already established? Because if not, good luck.

2.) Why do you always spam my threads with off topic posts?

3.) Gay.

4.) Ask FM Poladot. She's a professional baker, she's been on those baking shows. She owns a cafe in Vancouver, with amazing baked goods.
    I'm not very bright.

You are planning to do more than teas and parfaits right?

Here's some of her masterpieces:

Apple Turnover

Chocolate Succe

Apricot Danish

Cannele Bordelais

Hazelnut Pithivier

Savarin

Millefeulle

Among a million assortments of cookies, croissants, breads, macrons, and other french delicacies. Le sigh. I wanna live in Vancouver.
    I'm not very bright.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    http://forum.travian.co.uk/showthrea...=1#post1504632

I think they're confused with the difference between meatloaf and hamburgers...cause seriously...
    Why would you say chuck is a lower quality piece of meat and you need to cook it more? The cut of meat comes from the same cow. You should get the beef freshly ground in front of you from your butcher. Whole muscles do not have E coli. That happens when dirty places grind huge batches of animals with no care for what goes in.

There are tons of different blends to hamburgers.

Simply it should be ground beef with at least 80/20. Fat is flavor. Then made into a patty, then seasoned and then cooked.

Anyone can put whatever condiments they like. I'm simple LTO, bacon, pickles, ketchup and mayo.

Quote Originally Posted by Foley View Post
    Why would you say chuck is a lower quality piece of meat and you need to cook it more? The cut of meat comes from the same cow. You should get the beef freshly ground in front of you from your butcher. Whole muscles do not have E coli. That happens when dirty places grind huge batches of animals with no care for what goes in.

There are tons of different blends to hamburgers.

Simply it should be ground beef with at least 80/20. Fat is flavor. Then made into a patty, then seasoned and then cooked.

Anyone can put whatever condiments they like. I'm simple LTO, bacon, pickles, ketchup and mayo.
    I always heard that ground chuck is lower quality parts than the rest of the cow. And the high fat content (sans marbling), lends to more bacterial growth.

Though, you're right, freshly ground sausage and beef chuck is the best. :)

EDIT:

And that's what i'm saying! It's the parts of the whole that make the burger! You need LTMMPOK, though I prefer to hold the mayo.
    I'm not very bright.

Here's some of her masterpieces:

Apple Turnover

Chocolate Succe

Apricot Danish

Cannele Bordelais

Hazelnut Pithivier

Savarin

Millefeulle

Among a million assortments of cookies, croissants, breads, macrons, and other french delicacies. Le sigh. I wanna live in Vancouver.
    Very beautiful products I used to work pastry as well.

I always heard that ground chuck is lower quality parts than the rest of the cow. And the high fat content (sans marbling), lends to more bacterial growth.

Though, you're right, freshly ground sausage and beef chuck is the best.
    High fat content has nothing to do with bacteria. Chuck is lower quality because it is a tough cut. Leas desireable cuts are cheaper because less people want them.

Ribeye and tenderloin are much more expensive but can be used for burgers as well. By why waste the products that are naturally more tender cuts.

Imagine a burger made from kobe/wagyu chuck. Do you still want to cook that all the way through?

The reason people need to cook their meat through is because they are purchasing **** from.****** places.

I cannot for the life of me make good pastries. I'm a wonderful cook, but baking isn't my forte. And I hate it.

I would give anything to bake like Polkadot or Ms. Evil. Maybe one day I'll take some formal classes and learn.

Mint Chocolate St. Honore:

I'm not very bright.

You are planning to do more than teas and parfaits right?
    The past owners were a vegan elderly couple and the husband died. The wife, who is French, went back to France to see her family. Their children lived far from LA and wanted to sell, so I offered to buy it, there were many offers, but, they chose me because I promised to keep their parents' legacy by keeping the menu and adding only vegan and healthy foods and I was able to get a good location for a really good price.

It's a niche market, but in LA it's a major niche.

Sapient, it's a different kind of cafe, sugar and eggs are off the menu, that is very limiting - but there are still a vast amount of options, such as using fresh fruit, teas and tisanes that I can use for sweetening.

Sugar is vegan, Summer.

I'm thinking more and more that you're a trust fund baby.
    I'm not very bright.

The past owners were a vegan elderly couple and the husband died. The wife, who is French, went back to France to see her family. Their children lived far from LA and wanted to sell, so I offered to buy it, there were many offers, but, they chose me because I promised to keep their parents' legacy by keeping the menu and adding only vegan and healthy foods and I was able to get a good location for a really good price.

Sapient, it's a different kind of cafe, sugar and eggs are off the menu, that is very limiting - but there are still a vast amount of options, such as using fresh fruit, teas and tisanes that I can use for sweetening.
    Oh man good luck with that.

Do you have any food experience?

Sugar is vegan, Summer.
    Yes, technically if you are a strict vegan you cannot have sugar.

I forogt why, but I believe gelatin or animal product is used in the process for processed white sugar.

Yes, technically if you are a strict vegan you cannot have sugar.

I forogt why, but I believe gelatin or animal product is used in the process for processed white sugar.
    “IS REFINED SUGAR VEGAN?”
    It depends on how you define vegan. Refined sugars do not contain any animal products, and so by an ingredients-based definition of vegan, refined sugar is vegan. However, some refined sugar is processed with animal bone char. The charcoal is used to remove color, impurities, and minerals from sugar. The charcoal is not in the sugar, but is used in the process as a filter. Thus by a process-based definition of vegan, refined sugar may not be considered vegan. For those who would prefer not to use refined sugar, there are several alternatives: raw, turbinado, beet sugar, succanat, date sugar, fructose, barley malt, rice syrup, corn syrup, molasses, and maple syrup. However, if one accepts a process-based definition of vegan, then many other familiar products would also not be considered vegan. For instance, steel and vulcanized rubber are produced using animal fats and, in many areas, groundwater and surface water is filtered through bone charcoal filters. So, is a box of pasta that contains no animal products, but has transported to the store in a steel truck on rubber wheels and then cooked in boiling water at your home, vegan? Under a process-based definition, possibly not. But according to such a definition, it would be difficult to find any products in this country that are vegan. There is another point about definitions that comes to mind. Perhaps, in the above example, the pasta maker also makes an egg pasta. The same machinery is used, and traces of egg are in the vegan pasta; would the pasta not be vegan? Again, we recommend that vegans concentrate their attention on the most obvious animal ingredients.
    In our experience, concentrating on processing or on trace ingredients can make a vegan diet appear exceedingly difficult and dissuade people from adopting it.
    Vegans should just become Amish and call it quits.

The steel in Summer's Tesla used animal byproducts, the power plants that power his home use coal and oil, which has animal byproducts.
    I'm not very bright.

Sugar is vegan, Summer.

I'm thinking more and more that you're a trust fund baby.
    It's not healthy though.

Vegans should just become Amish and call it quits.

The steel in Summer's Tesla used animal byproducts, the power plants that power his home use coal and oil, which has animal byproducts.
    I'm just repeating what I learned and kinda forgot from school.

Technically you shouldnt use sugar either. Since the process of harvesting honey usually kills bees.

Customer Service Team Grasshopper's Avatar

*insert several pictures of yummy foods
    Those all look so good! But now I'm hungry.

*reaches over for a box of cereal to munch on*

Best of luck with your endeavor Summer. I know some friends around the LA area who would probably love to stop by for some of the tasty things.

I'm just repeating what I learned and kinda forgot from school.

Technically you shouldnt use sugar either. Since the process of harvesting honey usually kills bees.
    Not really, if you smoke them up right, you don't really.
    I'm not very bright.

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Those all look so good! But now I'm hungry.

*reaches over for a box of cereal to munch on*

Best of luck with your endeavor Summer. I know some friends around the LA area who would probably love to stop by for some of the tasty things.
    Thanks, I see it as a major step in my life because I've never owned a business, and it's not inherited nor did my parents or any relative put money foward into this venture. It will be a lot of hard work and dedication and I'll do my best to see it succeed.

Oh man good luck with that.

Do you have any food experience?
    Yup.

I did everything from dishwasher, line cook, event planner, delivery driver, manager. I also majored in Urban Planning and worked on the permits side of the restaurant business.

Basically, I got this **** down.

As for sugar and vegans, vegans tend to be very health conscious as much as they are conscious of where food comes from and how food is processed. They tend to be adverse to sugar (or rather added sugar, as all plants have sugar) because sugar is high in calories and low in nutrients and well, eating a lot of sugar makes one fat.
    Last edited by Summer; 09-07-2016 at 01:48 AM.

It's not healthy though.
    Nothing in large amounts is healthy.

Its all about moderation and a balanced diet.

Thanks, I see it as a major step in my life because I've never owned a business, and it's not inherited nor did my parents or any relative put money foward into this venture. It will be a lot of hard work and dedication and I'll do my best to see it succeed.
    Is the money coming from a trust fund?

And you don't have business or finance experience?
    I'm not very bright.

Not really, if you smoke them up right, you don't really.
    You are confident that when you remove the honey combs from the hive that not a single bee will not die in that process?

Does the cafe come with a chef already?
    Last edited by SMOD polkadot; 09-07-2016 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Double Post

You are confident that when you remove the honey combs from the hive that not a single bee will not die in that process?
    I'm pretty skilled. But you're right, maybe.
    I'm not very bright.

I'm pretty skilled. But you're right, maybe.
    And that is the issue with diets based on fads.

There is alot of questions that have to be asked when a diner is a vegan or gluten free for example. The diner is usually unaware of what they are really restricted from.eating.

Does the cafe come with a chef already?
    I'll look into options of hiring a chef if necessary, but there are many available recepies out there, and frankly, I want this venture to stay above water.

Personally, I'm looking at creative and easy ways to prepare salads, fruits, and house blended teas and tisanes , that is healthy, pleasing to the eye, and the morning or lunch item that provides health conscious Angelinos with their daily nutrients.
    Last edited by Summer; 09-07-2016 at 02:02 AM.

I'll look into options of hiring a chef if necessary, but there are many available recepies out there, and frankly, I want this venture to stay above water.

Personally, I'm looking at creative and easy ways to prepare salads, fruits, and house blended teas and tisanes , that is healthy, pleasing to the eye, and the morning or lunch item that provides health conscious Angelinos with their daily nutrients.
    Are you a vegan or have ever been one?

I'll relocate for a six figure salary.
    I'm not very bright.

Are you a vegan or have ever been one?
    I keep a strict diet during the week, monday through friday, that includes mostly spinach salads and some dairy, dairy is actually high in protein, milk or yogurt mixed with flax seeds in the morning along with caffiene gives that boost of metabolism that burns calories and is ideal for a steady weight.

During the weekend I indulge in whatever and anything, the weirder the food, the better.

I'll relocate for a six figure salary.

I keep a strict diet during the week, monday through friday, that includes mostly spinach salads and some dairy, dairy is actually high in protein, milk or yogurt mixed with flax seeds in the morning along with caffiene gives that boost of metabolism that burns calories and is ideal for a steady weight.

During the weekend I indulge in whatever and anything, the weirder the food, the better.

Bleh, well hope you got a good deal on that cafe then. It's gunna be a rough few months.

I don't recommend going vegan unless you are 100% committed or really understand that lifestyle.

But what do I know? I'm probably the complete opposite of a vegan. The fun world of charcuterie.

Bleh, well hope you got a good deal on that cafe then. It's gunna be a rough few months.

I don't recommend going vegan unless you are 100% committed or really understand that lifestyle.

But what do I know? I'm probably the complete opposite of a vegan. The fun world of charcuterie.
    I'll keep the vegan items that are already on the menu and expand to a broader market without diviating from the original founder's legacy.

Sapient, if you're looking for buyers of homemade kimchi... I haven't been out scouting for good kimchi as of yet, but, if your kimchi is up to quality and if you can supply it at deal that would bring us both profit, I have a location.
    Last edited by Summer; 09-07-2016 at 02:39 AM.

I'll keep the vegan items that are already on the menu and expand to a broader market without diviating from the original founder's legacy.

Sapient, if you're looking for buyers of homemade kimchi... I haven't been out scouting for good kimchi as of yet, but, if your kimchi is up to quality and if you can supply it at deal that would bring us both profit, I have a location.
    You want me to ship you kimchi over 2,500 miles?

I don't know if you realize this, but Los Angeles has the largest Korea Town in the United States. I'm sure you'll find great kimchi there.

Just say you're allergic to seafood and shellfish, otherwise it won't be vegetarian.

Also, I would say that the trust fund is technically your family funding the business.
    Last edited by SMOD polkadot; 09-07-2016 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Double Post
    I'm not very bright.

You want me to ship you kimchi over 2,500 miles?

I don't know if you realize this, but Los Angeles has the largest Korea Town in the United States. I'm sure you'll find great kimchi there.

Just say you're allergic to seafood and shellfish, otherwise it won't be vegetarian.
    Relocate to LA.

My cafe is just west of K-Town, it's really in the heart of the action in LA.

Yeah K-town is great, known world wide for its nightlife and restaurants, known locally for doctors that would proscribe any meds you'll ask for - actually, they'll offer any meds even if you don't ask for them - true personal story.

I think that's any big city. Some black dude offered me percosets for $10/pill at the gas station today. And said if I changed my mind, he's on pump 3.

Are you accepting my six figure salary proposal?
    I'm not very bright.

I think that's any big city. Some black dude offered me percosets for $10/pill at the gas station today. And said if I changed my mind, he's on pump 3.

Are you accepting my six figure salary proposal?
    These korean doctors are legit though, well sort of... and ew gas.

hey, I just offered to be a buyer of your kimchi. Nothing about paying you more than barrista's salary - honestly, starbucks would be better, as they provide better worker benefits than I probably would - the Bernie loving socialist in me cried inside - just if you can provide a convincing reason that would bring in a much higher gross revenue than what is in the annual and quarter statements, then maybe the six figures could be yours.

and my parents didn't invest in a trust fund and I borrowed to go to college.
    Last edited by Summer; 09-07-2016 at 03:19 AM.

These korean doctors are legit though, well sort of...

hey, I just offered to be a buyer of your kimchi. Nothing about paying you more than barrista's salary - honestly, starbucks would be better, as they provide better worker benefits than I probably would - the Bernie loving socialist in me cried inside - just if you can provide a convincing reason that would bring in a much higher gross revenue than the what the annual and quarter statements, then maybe the six figures could be yours.

What did you go to school for?

USP at UCSD

average GPA of accepted students was at 4.2 when I started. I started taking college classes at JC when I was 14, by the time I graduated high school I had my lower division general education courses already done.

I'm one of those, kiddo. Though arguably, not entirely a sucess - I had my share of downfalls.
    Last edited by Summer; 09-07-2016 at 03:25 AM.

These korean doctors are legit though, well sort of... and ew gas.

hey, I just offered to be a buyer of your kimchi. Nothing about paying you more than barrista's salary - honestly, starbucks would be better, as they provide better worker benefits than I probably would - the Bernie loving socialist in me cried inside - just if you can provide a convincing reason that would bring in a much higher gross revenue than what is in the annual and quarter statements, then maybe the six figures could be yours.

So, I currently work here as an electrical engineer in instrumentation and control systems.

Ooor, I can come there to slave around making kimchi and earning minimum wage?

Naahhh, I'm good. Besides, I made a promise to never move further south than Monterey, CA.

He went for art.
    I'm not very bright.