Thread: John Oliver on medical debt

Default John Oliver on medical debt

This one's a few months old, but I just found it, and thought it was really interesting:

Also, in case anybody else is interested, here's a link to the website of that non-profit he mentioned towards the end:
    https://www.ripmedicaldebt.org/

On a more serious note: He pretty much summed up everything that is wrong with debt collectors and the industry in general. The fact none of them have an ounce of care for the people or even economy is everything that is wrong with America. On a somewhat related note: CGP Gray did a solid video recently on why politicians will pass bills that are so hurtful towards Americans. It talks about power struggle in general, but it in that it covers funders buying them off in a democratic society.

Quote Originally Posted by 5m4llP0X View Post
    On a more serious note: He pretty much summed up everything that is wrong with debt collectors and the industry in general. The fact none of them have an ounce of care for the people or even economy is everything that is wrong with America. On a somewhat related note: CGP Gray did a solid video recently on why politicians will pass bills that are so hurtful towards Americans. It talks about power struggle in general, but it in that it covers funders buying them off in a democratic society.
    You are against debt collecters? Obama care premiums are about to go through the roof, but you support that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    You are against debt collecters? Obama care premiums are about to go through the roof, but you support that.
    I am against their tactics and going after illegitimate or expired debt. I strongly believe their should be laws and steep fines on companies who use these practices. And yes, I do support the ability to actually see a doctor without crippling debt.

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

You are against debt collectors? Obama care premiums are about to go through the roof, but you support that.
    You should stop calling it Obamacare. It is just a very sad version of a public health system. You very badly need one to have any semblance of a compassionate society. They all have their issues, but there are so many stories that horrify the rest of the world about how your elitist and warped system work(s). Hospitals, health insurers and suppliers rip the $ out of a system that does worse than most others on most meaningful metrics. You must admit that you need reform, and Obamacare isn't perfect, but it is a step in the right direction.

Debt collectors seem an industry that has been let loose without control. I remember watching that show and being really bemused by how it can happen. It's not specific to the US, I'm sure we have our evil gits as well, but I would hope our regulators would step in more quickly.
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

It certainly isn't affordable, so Obamacare is a better term for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    You should quote yourself. It's like liking your Facebook status or high-fiving yourself in the mirror.

It's what I would do if I didn't have to keep mine exactly how it is for madsquirrels and erazer.

-32 degrees latitude, free, safe and warm

So stick with a completely broken system then? Ignore what the rest of the world has learned, just keep breaking people?
    I'm glad I'm not judgemental like all you smug, superficial idiots

The underlying costs that need coverage are inherently rising. Lack of price controls + specialty drugs + chronic/terminal illness + aging population + fee-for-service model reimbursement (although less of that now), etc. etc. How can you make this all affordable for everyone while still upholding the political and economic values of 'Muricah? You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
    "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost."

Quote Originally Posted by Creep-er View Post
    The underlying costs that need coverage are inherently rising. Lack of price controls + specialty drugs + chronic/terminal illness + aging population + fee-for-service model reimbursement (although less of that now), etc. etc. How can you make this all affordable for everyone while still upholding the political and economic values of 'Muricah? You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
    The issue is a lack of price controls enabling pharmaceutical companies to price gouge. They got a seat at the table while the ACA was being drafted, no way they would let that hurt them.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.