Thread: How To send a letter to your farm

Smile How To send a letter to your farm

This is how you write a letter to someone who just appeared in your 7x7
    (he was right next to my village)

Hi there ________ i hope we can be friends...

We can dominate this area and win this game together^^

By the way your in my 7x7... so im gonna farm you now. and farming is good, your the farm and im the farmer, meaning we are really good friends

Bye bye, i'll be looking forward to obliterating y-err...i mean being friends with you.

~your future Farmer: ______.

P.S. I would be your Best friend FOREVER if you don't build any crannies, they're evil

I suppose you could do that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Frunobulaxian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fowler
    How'd you get that much reputation?
    super ultra ninja magic.

Tradesperson

Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix Fires View Post

By the way your in my 7x7... so im gonna farm you now. and farming is good, your the farm and im the farmer, meaning we are really good friends

Bye bye, i'll be looking forward to obliterating y-err...i mean being friends with you.

P.S. I would be your Best friend FOREVER if you don't build any crannies, they're evil
    LOL nice! Meh gonna use it lol =]
    If the whole world was as evil as i, we'd all be poking each other with waffles already.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlatti View Post
    There is no one right way to do things, or else we'd all be doing exactly that. Do what you love , the resources will follow.

I'll test this out. Luckily, I have a new spawn in my 7x7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old MacDonald View Post
    *Looks both ways and whispers..*

"Meet me in the champagne room in 15 minutes...and DON"T FORGET THE FUZZY HANDCUFFS"

I can't tell if this letter is sarcastic or serious. However you sugar-coat it, though, most n00bs stop believing that farming is a good thing when they start losing their precious resources. This letter ( forgive me for being mean... ) makes you look more like a n00b than the n00b.
    Green thinking = Good thinking Think about it.

New Look! Yay!!

Definitely serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old MacDonald View Post
    *Looks both ways and whispers..*

"Meet me in the champagne room in 15 minutes...and DON"T FORGET THE FUZZY HANDCUFFS"

Don't mention the "C" word.

Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post
    Definitely serious.
    Some parts of it though, like the

Strike me as being... well... I just don't get the point of this letter. Farm the newbie, you don't have to make a big production about it... it's not like 100,000 other people aren't doing it too...
    Green thinking = Good thinking Think about it.

New Look! Yay!!

Quote Originally Posted by Horse,Wolf,&co. View Post
    Some parts of it though, like the

Strike me as being... well... I just don't get the point of this letter. Farm the newbie, you don't have to make a big production about it... it's not like 100,000 other people aren't doing it too...
    Sigh... its a joke.
    All the first graders are "reading" their books...
    1st grader: IT'S A FREAKIN' ELEPHANT!
    Teacher: *Walks over* What?
    1st grader: I can read! I can read! *points in book* A FREAKIN' ELEPHANT!
    Caption in book reads: African elephant

At least spell it "you're."

My first message to new farms around me comes in a form of a report: You've just been raided

Hmmm...the name looks like someone I just sent 10 swordsmen on a 60 hour raid to to scare them to protect a random newbie I don't even know...I sent two attacks to the people in his 7x7 that looked like they were actually playing. I randomly pick newbies to help and farm their 7x7 until my little newblet makes an army...then he reigns supreme.
    Play IMVU.com? How about HabboHotel? How about Gaia? Maybe Wow?

Want to get free currency? Click here and follow the steps to earn your way to free virtual currency!
    http://www.metarl.com/register.php?referral=samms94

Quote Originally Posted by Haeduan View Post
    My first message to new farms around me comes in a form of a report: You've just been raided
    hah! welcome to the club! Teuts mate. that's our way of greeting the new guy.
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~n3cr0~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichts View Post
    Farms are like girls - they talk, and they talk a lot, and none of it makes any sense.
    Why are girls always so difficult??

I AM and always WILL BE... n3cr0m3nc3r!

s4

Quote Originally Posted by n3cr0m3nc3r View Post
    hah! welcome to the club! Teuts mate. that's our way of greeting the new guy.

There is a club?
    Do you have any swanky hand shake too?

Quote Originally Posted by Haeduan View Post
    There is a club?
    Do you have any swanky hand shake too?
    No, but there are seesaws in the bathroom.

I don't think contacting your farms ahead of time is necessary. It might make them quit prematurely.

But now that we're on the topic of message, let's take a close look at them a little deeper. The most important thing about sending a message is communicating properly.

We forum folk enjoy seeing posts posted correctly and in a legible format. This includes, but is not limited to, spelling, grammar, and punctuation, as well as logical idea flow and paragraphing as necessary.

Messages in game are a whole new beast, and one that every farmer should be made aware of. You will come across readable messages in game, and if you do, be happy. Most messages sent by farms to a farmer are in this format:

hi
    y u atk mi so mani time??/???

Now, for you the farmer, there are three distinct choices available:

1) Respond intelligently because you somehow understand them.
    2) Respond unintelligently because you want them to understand you.
    3) Don't respond.

Let's take a closer look at each of these.

1) Responding intelligently involves deleting the IGM, or archiving it if it's funny, and sending more attacks. It's a very simple solution, and easy to implement. Of all the options, this one will create the least amount of headaches while maximizing entertainment value.

I'm sure a few of your were expecting me to suggest replying to the original IGM in proper English. This is inadvisable, as the sender will most likely try to translate your message from French, German, or Italian into English using Babelfish and give up once they realize your message wasn't in any of those languages. Don't fret - they aren't trying to use Babelfish because your message wasn't in English, but because what you wrote seems to foreign to them. Replying in proper English will only result in more messages of this calibre:

u sed u wudnt atk mi nemoar like wtf?!?!?!/ i dnt tink itz fare dat sum1 lyk u is attkig mi so lyk plx stpo!!1!!!!!eleven!!

As you can see, this is not desirable unless you are a hate mail collector. For those of us that are hatemail collectors, such exchanges are like trophies on a cabinet. For the rest of us, they are an absolute waste of time.

2) Another option is to respond unintelligently to them. But honestly, who wants to do that?

Unintelligent responses are just that. They are responses using the same unvocabulary, unspelling, ungrammer, unpunctuation, and overall unintelligence that the sender used. As the farmer, stooping down to this level is both unnecessary and unwarranted. You have much better tools at your disposal, and you definitely don't want your farm to know that you understand what you are saying. More about that later.

Let's assume that you respond to your farm's initial message with something like this:

hi im atttking u cuz u gotz 2 mani recourses on ur village n u rnt doin neting to prtect them. maibe if u red teh farm giude in teh forumz u wudnt be mi farm nemoer.

Your farm will naturally respond with further questions. And you, being the kind farmer, will waste your time answering them. This brings absolutely no profit to your village, and keeps you away from doing what you need to do, that is, sending out more raids.

The other problem arises from this farm now thinking that it is both ok to message in farmspeek, and that you are someone they can send further requests to. You may, for example, one day log in to find a request like this:

hi cn u send mi sum mats cuz i dnt hav more n i ned more plz

or

send trups! sum1 is atackinggg mi n i ned trops nwo!!1!!!

When you're receiving messages like this, you've dug yourself much deeper than you should have ever gone. Situations like this are a waste of time, resources, energy, troops, and everything imaginable.

3) Some people will advocate doing nothing. I don't particularly favour this approach, as it sends the wrong message to your farm, that is, that an IGM, no matter how poorly constructed, will result in you ceasing hostilities. This is not the message that you want to send, as word of such actions (or in your case, inactions) will spread. Farms are like girls - they talk, and they talk a lot, and none of it makes any sense.

So there you have it. A quick rundown of messaging in Travian.

Banned.

Awesome messaging guide

That was brilliant. I would totally give you rep if you weren't a mod. Plus I cant anyways.

hi
    y u atk mi so mani time??/???
    WIN!

I used to be able to give rep. I had about 55 rep. Then I went down to 11 rep because of one post. I made a fake guide to be used for humor. But I guess the repsters on these forums don't read titles of threads. Well all I can say about the message posts is that i would give a million rep for both of them if I could.
    Your troops defeated and your warehouse depleted says Popeye the Raider man Toot Toot

That second to last line by Nichts is sigg'd.
    Farms are like girls - they talk, and they talk a lot, and none of it makes any sense.
    http://www.cogulus.com/blog/images/c...es-killing.gif

i find that less is more...

my 2nd village is growing slow without assistance from my main (bad placement, first time picking a 2nd village), so im only at 80 pop. someone i tried farming sends this message after he trapped a small wave of maces

him:
    OK, I guess you won't stop attacking. So I will just tell you that I have 2 level 10 crannies and a maximum of 2300 resources. I guess we will continue to kill each others troops until you can build catapults. Your choice I suppose.

*this is where i send 10 waves of random cats from my main village. 11 attacks incoming 2 hours away*
    me:
    deal

him:
    You are the all the proof I needed to consider this "game" to be absolute BS.
    Thanks, now I won't waste anymore time on it.

so, i get 3 days of free farming right? >:]

u sed u wudnt atk mi nemoar like wtf?!?!?!/ i dnt tink itz fare dat sum1 lyk u is attkig mi so lyk plx stpo!!1!!!!!eleven!!
    Roflcopter! Great tutorial ;-)
    LastFM profile: http://last.fm/user/yuval_ritt
    (Don't you dare entering my Castle Conquer account )

(English isn't my native language)

I totally didn't notice the comments here. Thanks guys

Default My farm...

First, my apologies, I am fundamentally incapable of speaking, or copying, "farm-ese", so this has been translated to prevent spontaneous combustion between my fingers and computer...

After 3-4 days of farming I get: "Hey, why are you attacking me? I didn't attack you. Go bother somebody else."

My reply: "That's what the last guy said, makes you 'somebody else' ".

Btw, the village I am farming from has a pop of 500 plus...

Two days (and a dozen raids) later, I get: "Whatever".

He's still there, I'm still farming

Farmhand

Exclamation

dont say obilterate u thats just dumb actually do trick him dont just do it for laughs. do it to help u get better at the game and have a large empire!!

Farmhand

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by taow View Post
    i find that less is more...

my 2nd village is growing slow without assistance from my main (bad placement, first time picking a 2nd village), so im only at 80 pop. someone i tried farming sends this message after he trapped a small wave of maces

him:
    OK, I guess you won't stop attacking. So I will just tell you that I have 2 level 10 crannies and a maximum of 2300 resources. I guess we will continue to kill each others troops until you can build catapults. Your choice I suppose.

*this is where i send 10 waves of random cats from my main village. 11 attacks incoming 2 hours away*
    me:
    deal

him:
    You are the all the proof I needed to consider this "game" to be absolute BS.
    Thanks, now I won't waste anymore time on it.

so, i get 3 days of free farming right? >:]
    LOL!!

only the real noobs would believe it.
    Liberate your mind

This is funny.

lol that was funny and smart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marach View Post
    my pop is 3712, the vill I am catting is 50.
    How will the difference in pop lower my cats effectiveness?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    Your mom pwns in all categories. It matters not.

Default When Farms cry

Whenever a member of the Future Farms of America objects to my activities, I send him my current Top 10 Reasons why I'm farming him/her/it!
    (10) My mom is bigger and has more hair than your mom.
    (9) My Doctor feels this is good therapy for my aggression issues.
    (8) I have low self esteem and this is helping me.
    (7) In real life I have to be nice to children.
    (6) It's dark out so I cannot melt ants with my magnifying glass.
    (5) I am zero popping every letter in the alphabet. Too bad you name starts with...
    (4) I'm a bully.
    (3) I'm helping you become a better player.
    (2) It's a wargame.
    (1) Because I got 30k in resources the last time I raided you!!!! Duh.
    "The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly."

EPIC BUMP!

XD Funny. I would do that if there were any of my farms in my 7x7 that actually logs on lol.

I sent a letter to an attacker after trapping some of his troops, giving him a couple of options

he either buys the troops from me, or I kill them

or he naps with me, and I just give him his troops back

he napped, I shall reuse this strategy till it fails
    To Clarify, I used to be a Social Democrat, if I had the choice, I would be a Jefferson Federalist, for lack of better options, I am a Liberal Libertarian, If Thomas Jefferson were alive today, he would be so also.

Villager

Very wise.

Maybe you should mention catapults... nOObs probably won't know what they are yet... maybe you can scare them enough to make them quit after a month or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerbeus Lockjaw View Post
    The thread was sooo interesting...then you came.

Tradesperson

Dear o gracious farm. You produce such great crops, however can I thank you? I know! I'll give you a cat!! It will be a great help in the game. They are very cute and cuddly. I will send 15 over to you right now. Have fun with your new pets. Be advised: cats may often lead to cuts, scratches, and some are vicious.

Sincerely,
    Farmer
    Last edited by Tanklin; 12-09-2008 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by castigatio View Post
    Whenever a member of the Future Farms of America objects to my activities, I send him my current Top 10 Reasons why I'm farming him/her/it!
    (10) My mom is bigger and has more hair than your mom.
    (9) My Doctor feels this is good therapy for my aggression issues.
    (8) I have low self esteem and this is helping me.
    (7) In real life I have to be nice to children.
    (6) It's dark out so I cannot melt ants with my magnifying glass.
    (5) I am zero popping every letter in the alphabet. Too bad you name starts with...
    (4) I'm a bully.
    (3) I'm helping you become a better player.
    (2) It's a wargame.
    (1) Because I got 30k in resources the last time I raided you!!!! Duh.
    (10) lol
    (9) i do agree it eases the mind and body
    (8) its part of the therapy
    (7) ...seriously? i just give them the middle one
    (6) dam sun got me again
    (5) i love this one im going to use it next time
    (4) i really am
    (3) im building character
    (2) really?
    (1) still laughin

That is one way to give feedback, lol.