Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A critique of any reason

Default A critique of any reason

http://christwire.org/2010/12/40-bes...signs-of-2010/

Epic win. I appreciate the double-mock strategy, mock both sides by sometimes making good points in a mock able way.

"Obama is arrogant because in Islam, men are domineering and taught they are always right."
    Last edited by Jono; 06-16-2011 at 12:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    OMG, Wodey found a woman who agrees with him. He must be right, cos all women are always right all the time.

I am very sad that this kind of nonsense is promoted on a christian website.
    Live Life, Love Others.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLink View Post
    Cheddar is one of the popular, energetic guys.
    "A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." - Proverbs 12:16

"Comparison is the thief of joy." - Theodore Roosevelt

Dethy Analysis Helper

Banned.

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar View Post
    I am very sad that this kind of nonsense is promoted on a christian website.
    This is the kind of stuff that is sanctioned by the church, payed for by your tithing and is exactly what's wrong with all you christians!

Consul

I didn't read it closely, but I can't tell if that site is serious or if it's poking fun.

I'm inclined to believe the later, and some of the comments kinda re-enforce that.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    This is the kind of stuff that is sanctioned by the church, payed for by your tithing and is exactly what's wrong with all you christians heathens!
    Fix't?
    My first hammer: s8r1 - mhisti
    Not my first hammer: s1r4 - Loved1

s1r7 - Ifrit 3,111,384 offense points

[6:49:56 PM] Bugzy: Let's report Ifrit for genocide

Banned.

Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    I didn't read it closely, but I can't tell if that site is serious or if it's poking fun.

I'm inclined to believe the later, and some of the comments kinda re-enforce that.
    Damn, we could've had some fun with Cheddar for a bit.

Chedds, take a look at the mission statement and the "moral alerts" lol. The site is dripping in biting satire.

That's what I was hoping was the case, but after reading through the entire article, I was getting worried.

Also, my only response to your original comment was going to be that this group is not the majority of christians, by a long shot.
    Live Life, Love Others.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLink View Post
    Cheddar is one of the popular, energetic guys.
    "A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult." - Proverbs 12:16

"Comparison is the thief of joy." - Theodore Roosevelt

Dethy Analysis Helper

Us5r2-Spiff (FoZ)
    Us5r3-George Clooney (Pack)
    Us5r4-Charlie Sheen ()

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar View Post
    That's what I was hoping was the case, but after reading through the entire article, I was getting worried.

Also, my only response to your original comment was going to be that this group is not the majority of christians, by a long shot.
    They're not even Christian, christwire.org is a satirical website like Landover Baptist Church that lampoons Christianity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christwire
    Last edited by Summer; 06-16-2011 at 03:27 AM. Reason: their to they're... oops kinda drowsy...

The site is dripping in biting satire.
    People who laugh at their own jokes too much are silly.
    "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost."

Consul

Damn, we could've had some fun with Cheddar for a bit.
    Yeah, damn...sorry.

I laughed.

my reaction to it:

[4:50 PM] <Jamie> Also I'm NDA
    [8:49 AM] <Josh> Angry saffy is always angry
    [8:49 AM] <Saffy> ^ that too

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there are plenty of people that believe all of the things said in that OP article. The sooner people understand just how backward thinking most of middle America is, the sooner we might see true changes and steps toward becoming a cohesive, peaceful, society.
    Roses are red; violets are blue. I shagged your girl; maybe tomorrow you can to.

Quote Originally Posted by Chumpanzie View Post
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there are plenty of people that believe all of the things said in that OP article. The sooner people understand just how backward thinking most of middle America is, the sooner we might see true changes and steps toward becoming a cohesive, peaceful, society.
    I would counter that the sooner people understand that their thinking is not superior to that of middle America, the sooner...
    "And how can this be?!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XBHL...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Either that, or he needs to beat your other wings' recruiters and diplomats over the head with a burlap sack full of dead babies. Frozen dead babies, so it hurts more.
    George Carlin on Global Warming:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjmtSkl53h4

.US4 - Subject to Change
    .US9 - Sorcey's Forcey

Banned.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper316 View Post
    I would counter that the sooner people understand that their thinking is not superior to that of middle America, the sooner...
    Please use the following item on your post:

Quote Originally Posted by cooper316 View Post
    Please use the following item on your post:

No, actually I agree with the literal definition of what cooper said. It's highly stereotypical to say that "Middle America" thinks like that. Have you ever *been* to middle America? Have you lived there? What you're suggesting, Chump, is just as bad as what that website was suggesting. Except that you were serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Channingman View Post
    No, actually I agree with the literal definition of what cooper said. It's highly stereotypical to say that "Middle America" thinks like that. Have you ever *been* to middle America? Have you lived there? What you're suggesting, Chump, is just as bad as what that website was suggesting. Except that you were serious.
    Those signs were serious. Even if the website wasn't.

Having said that, I kind of agree. Middle America isn't any stupider than the rest of America.

Nor any other country for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    Those signs were serious. Even if the website wasn't.

Having said that, I kind of agree. Middle America isn't any stupider than the rest of America.

Nor any other country for that matter.
    What would you know about Middle America?
    Excuse me for disagreeing that your degeneracy is sacred.

Consul

Wondering why people are referring to "Middle America" as a place and not as a sociopolitical/socioeconomic group (i.e. the "middle class" or "moderates"). Surely your not confusing Middle America with the "Mid-West"?

Middle America, Main Street, general population, call it what you like, but my definition stems from the all too often following of a particular path as if the individuals had blinders on.

45 minutes out of NYC can be just as rural as Smallville Nebraska, but that's not the problem. The real problems are people thinking they are the only ones with opinions that matter; thinking our social norms are the best, most righteous, way regardless of how long another society has been living with a different set of rules; people literally hating various ideals or people simply because they do not understand them. There is a severe lack of unbiased thought in this county, and signs like the ones shown before are, to me, glaring examples of how sad our society has become.

Of course everything is relative to whatever an individual believes to be true. I get it, you still think the world is flat, or that one race or gender is better than the next, or that one side of the aisle is always more right than the other no matter the issue. If you're alright carrying on these or similar ideas without taking the time to step out of yourself for a moment and understand the opposite side of things, who am I to argue. They say ignorance is bliss, so I suppose you must be elated.

Oh, for the record, I have lived in Florida, Missouri, NY, NJ, Europe, and Asia. I have been close friends of people with 9 figure wealth and 9 dollar wealth. I have learned to speak 4 languages through experience not books, and have friends of just about every shape size and color imaginable, and always treat every person i meet equally. I could probably build a house or fix a car yet I still have the hands of an executive. So I would say, yeah, I believe I do know a thing or three about the various groups of people in this country and others, but it doesn't change the fact that the GREAT majority of this country has little to no clue about anything outside their little world nor would they care to learn. It's no wonder to me why this country is not well liked in the world for anything but our entertainment productions and money.
    Roses are red; violets are blue. I shagged your girl; maybe tomorrow you can to.

Banned.

Yup. Middle America has it right.

I'm just gonna leave this here:

Middle America has it's collective head so far up its religious *** that it can't see the forest for the trees.

Yup. Middle America has it right.

I'm just gonna leave this here:

Middle America has it's collective head so far up its religious *** that it can't see the forest for the trees.
    Wow, you really hate religion...did a priest **** you when you were younger?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod Dark Tower View Post
    *Sigh*, I'm such an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blazin1 View Post
    I'm not very bright.

Banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    Wow, you really hate religion...did a priest **** you when you were younger?
    No, I wasn't Catholic.

I abhor anything that prevents free thinking and promotes slavish mind control through fear and faulty logic.

No, I wasn't Catholic.

I abhor anything that prevents free thinking and promotes slavish mind control through fear and faulty logic.
    You were totes jelly that you weren't molested!
    (my dad's friend is confused why he wasn't good enough to be touched, even though he was an altar boy)
    I'm not very bright.

Banned.

You were totes jelly that you weren't molested!
    (my dad's friend is confused why he wasn't good enough to be touched, even though he was an altar boy)
    Toast with jelly FTW.

Also, your dad's friend sounds like Mr. Garrison from South Park wondering why his dad didn't molest him. He goes back as an adult and makes his father molest him to prove that he's good enough to be molested. Maybe your dad's friend should proposition a priest.

Toast with jelly FTW.

Also, your dad's friend sounds like Mr. Garrison from South Park wondering why his dad didn't molest him. He goes back as an adult and makes his father molest him to prove that he's good enough to be molested. Maybe your dad's friend should proposition a priest.
    No, he was being sarcastic, bud. Though, he's getting divorced, so he could.

So, what do you hate about (we'll start easy):

Christianity:
    Islam:
    Judaism:
    Sikhism:
    Buddhism:
    Jainism:
    Deism:
    Pastafarianism(impossible):
    I'm not very bright.

There is nothing wrong with pastafarianism. That is all.

There is nothing wrong with pastafarianism. That is all.
    Exactly, but Baron claims all religion is bad. I want to see if he can justify his dislike.
    I'm not very bright.

pastafarianism isn't a religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirveri View Post
    pastafarianism isn't a religion.
    Is too.
    I'm not very bright.

Gluten allergy would be my guess.

But there are significant flaws with all forms of organized religion and theology, the main culprit: they were all created by man not some supreme power. All the laws, all the rituals and practices, are man made. Further, since all were created by man, who can say which choice of honoring the "God" is correct or more just than another and how can said religious, well-meaning, supposedly intelligent people claim that their choice has any more merit than someone else's. If I want to read from a scroll, pray to a cross, or bow to the four points on a compass, it would be my choice, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone from doing the other or hate them for making a different choice based off an arbitrary set of rules.

If there is a supreme power or being why are there so many variations of religion?
    Did He whisper in the ears of 10 people in different parts of the world and they all heard something different? (doesn't sound all-powerful to me if he could be misunderstood in such a way).
    Are there multiple gods? Are they at odds like all of us? Do they take bets on who will prevail, or sob when they lose a moral or ethical battle to another?
    Is it possible that there were more sinister, even political, reasons for the terrestrial establishment of organized religions?

Don't get me wrong, although I do not follow any religion, I believe that there have been great things accomplished by the use of religion to control society. The hope religion can provide to those that need something to rely on can be invaluable. Religion is such a part of most people's lives that they are completely powerless to entertain the idea that it may be untrue or unfounded, they literally need to believe. In the same way people cannot understand the failings of their religions, I am unable to understand how such faith and effort can be put into anything with so many flaws.

Banned.

No, he was being sarcastic, bud. Though, he's getting divorced, so he could.

So, what do you hate about (we'll start easy):

Christianity:
    Islam:
    Judaism:
    Sikhism:
    Buddhism:
    Jainism:
    Deism:
    Pastafarianism(impossible):
    They're all bull. Simple. Read up on Terror Management Theory. Here's some articles to get you started: http://psr.sagepub.com/content/14/1/84.abstract

From a terror management theory (TMT) perspective, religion serves to manage the potential terror engendered by the uniquely human awareness of death by affording a sense of psychological security and hope of immortality. Although secular beliefs can also serve a terror management function, religious beliefs are particularly well suited to mitigate death anxiety because they are all encompassing, rely on concepts that are not easily disconfirmed, and promise literal immortality. Research is reviewed demonstrating that mortality salience produces increased belief in afterlife, supernatural agency, human ascension from nature, and spiritual distinctions between mind and body.

Exactly, but Baron claims all religion is bad. I want to see if he can justify his dislike.
    A dislike is always justified. It is a personal feeling. While you may not agree, it is still that person's dislike. Instead, I've qualified my dislike for you. L2wordright if you're going to troll me.

Consul

Chumpanzie,

I'm pretty sure you're not going to find the answers you're looking for on an Internet forum.

The odds of someone convincing another that God (or god, or gods, etc, etc) does or doesn't exist are slim to none. The odds of proving same are absolutely nil.

What's the point of the discussion?

Banned.

I'm pretty sure you're not going to find the answers you're looking for on an Internet forum.

The odds of someone convincing another that God (or god, or gods, etc, etc) do or don't exist are slim to none. The odds of proving same are absolutely nil.

Sounds like the fire is running out of your brimstone.

those were the best?

Chumpanzie,

The odds of someone convincing another that God (or god, or gods, etc, etc) does or doesn't exist are slim to none. The odds of proving same are absolutely nil.

What are you saying? Channingman is back! We have to have a religious debate in his honor!
    I'm not very bright.

Banned.

Quote Originally Posted by scpii View Post
    those were the best?
    See that button that says 'Reply With Quote' over there to the bottom right of each post?

That will help us know what the heck you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by scpii View Post
    those were the best?
    No, i started with the worst on top (though the second is probably worse than the first), and got to progressively better ones the further down. Deism has little to nothing bad against it, since it's a personal belief that denounces holy texts and organized religions, while no one who truly understands pastafarianism can deny it's benevolence.

Edit: And Judaism really doesn't deserve to be up there (unless you consider the zealots in Israel, but most religions have zealots..), they're usually laid back and don't mind what others do...they have a live and let live mentality...i just put them since i was already putting the other two Abrahamic religions...
    Last edited by Sapient; 06-19-2011 at 11:58 PM.
    I'm not very bright.

well, USSA could be better than USA