Thread: Pi vs Tau - Let the battle commence

Default Pi vs Tau - Let the battle commence

'Tau day' marked by opponents of maths constant pi

The mathematical constant pi is under threat from a group of detractors who will be marking "Tau Day" on Tuesday.

Tau Day revellers suggest a constant called tau should take its place: twice as large as pi, or about 6.28 - hence the 28 June celebration.

I guess it'll be 'simpler' to calculate circumferences using τr rather than 2πr...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    Josh: You're a Brit. You can't do anything rite.
    Quote Originally Posted by To Be Somebody View Post
    Reserved for my very negative, hate-filled, prejudiced opinion on what Joshyyy said.

I vote pi, I like the smug feeling it gives me

I think pi is still relevant. If, for example, we do switch to tau, then area becomes 1/2 tau r^2. Pretty much any formula including pi would now be multiplied by 1/2.

And really, the difference between pi and tau is that pi is circumference/diameter, whereas tau is circumference/radius.

I vote for Tau. Because it has the pew pew lasers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    Let me tell you, used tranny fluid tastes nasty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cora View Post
    I know I do a lot of the finger

Tau is used in a number of equations and such as a variable of time. Making it a constant makes no sense. Furthermore I don't see how replacing 2pi with just one constant really simplifies equations all that much.

I think the issue is his that the reasons for changing it are far too narrow. They are merely concentrating on a circle, but pi manifests itself throughout physics in many other ways and to simply disregard those for one instance doesn't make much sense.
    Last edited by Seth; 06-28-2011 at 03:15 PM.
    [4:50 PM] <Jamie> Also I'm NDA
    [8:49 AM] <Josh> Angry saffy is always angry
    [8:49 AM] <Saffy> ^ that too

I no longer check reputation regularly. If you want to leave feedback, please PM me.

Apparently Pi is the victor in the Pi vs. Cake battle and now the next battle is Pi vs. 2 Pi's.
    Clearly 2 is better than one, at least in the world of baked delectables, but quality can always defeat quantity so this should be a great matchup.
    Does anyone know when this is expected to air on the Food Network?
    Excuse me for disagreeing that your degeneracy is sacred.

Pi forever!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Tau is used in a number of equations and such as a variable of time. Making it a constant makes no sense. Furthermore I don't see how replacing 2pi with just one constant really simplifies equations all that much.

I think the issue is his that the reasons for changing it are far too narrow. They are merely concentrating on a circle, but pi manifests itself throughout physics in many other ways and to simply disregard those for one instance doesn't make much sense.
    This!

And also, Pi day is much better than Tau day. On Pi day you can have a pie party and eat pie... what are we supposed to do on Tau day.
    s1r5: That Guy
    s1r4: I Luv Me

Banned.

Quote Originally Posted by mitachuk View Post
    This!

And also, Pi day is much better than Tau day. On Pi day you can have a pie party and eat pie... what are we supposed to do on Tau day.
    Convert to Taoism.

Quote Originally Posted by mitachuk View Post
    This!

Celebrate one of House M.D.'s not so funny assistant every year?

Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    Convert to Taoism.
    The most common pronunciation of that word is what it would be if it were spelled "Daoism" (an actual alternative spelling) or "Dow-ism." Tau, on the other hand, is pronounced with a "T" sound. That said, there is apparently a controversy over the pronunciation, with some people pronouncing Taoism as though it begins with the same sound as Tau.
    Last edited by Tifforo; 06-29-2011 at 06:31 PM.
    I no longer check reputation regularly. If you want to leave feedback, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifforo View Post
    with some people pronouncing Taoism as though it begins with the same sound as Tau.
    And those people are idiots.

Banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifforo View Post
    The most common pronunciation of that word is what it would be if it were spelled "Daoism" (an actual alternative spelling) or "Dow-ism." Tau, on the other hand, is pronounced with a "T" sound. That said, there is apparently a controversy over the pronunciation, with some people pronouncing Taoism as though it begins with the same sound as Tau.
    That debate is about as interesting as the one in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Channingman View Post
    And those people are idiots.
    Or have lives that aren't touched by Taoism so don't bother/couldn't care less.

Are you an idiot if you can't pronounce Bahá'í?

But how are we supposed to calculate it when using diameter? (d/2)τ??

And what about area? (τ/2)r^2??

No sir, pi stays.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacana View Post
    But how are we supposed to calculate it when using diameter? (d/2)τ??

And what about area? (τ/2)r^2??

No sir, pi stays.
    Pie Are Square!
    TCG says... sign your -Rep, cowards. I don't -Rep people just because they -Rep me.
    The Dinosaur says: (img)Image removed (/img) http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/x...eSignature.png

The country with the world's longest official name

Quote Originally Posted by Erbal View Post
    Apparently Pi is the victor in the Pi vs. Cake battle and now the next battle is Pi vs. 2 Pi's.
    Clearly 2 is better than one, at least in the world of baked delectables, but quality can always defeat quantity so this should be a great matchup.
    Does anyone know when this is expected to air on the Food Network?
    By any chance do you like pi because it comes with a metal dish that can be used as a hat?

Why did they name it tau instead of cake or pastry or someting?

Pi is better then Tau

Banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishamael View Post
    Pi is better then Tau
    Pi is better, then Tau.
    Pi is better than Tau.
    Pi is better then, Tau.

Which one is it, Half Odd? Must be that top rated schooling in Canadia, eh?

Pi is better, then Tau.
    Pi is better than Tau.
    Pi is better then, Tau.

Which one is it, Half Odd? Must be that top rated schooling in Canadia, eh?
    I think he meant option B.

I myself will go with secret option D: Pi is better. Tau sucks.
    s1r5: That Guy
    s1r4: I Luv Me

Pi is better than Tau.
    That one troll.

Banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishamael View Post
    That one troll.
    Which one troll?

This one or that one?

Which one troll?

This one or that one?
    No, no, it's the one over there.

"What's amazing is the 'conversion experience': people find themselves almost violently angry at pi. They feel like they've been lied to their whole lives, so it's amazing how many people express their displeasure with pi in the strongest possible terms - often involving profanity.
    Um I hate doing schoolwork and I would use profanity at Tau to and Pi wins because you can have an awesome math teacher like me. She brought Pi in, but we had to figure out the radius, diameter, or circumference fo varying sizes of the tin thing its in. It was apple pie
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of."
    "Certainly there are things in life that money can't buy, but it's very funny - Did you ever try buying them without money?"
    Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Bambi The Deer View Post
    Um I hate doing schoolwork and I would use profanity at Tau to and Pi wins because you can have an awesome math teacher like me. She brought Pi in, but we had to figure out the radius, diameter, or circumference fo varying sizes of the tin thing its in. It was apple pie
    Assuming that the pie is one unit thick and that the volume of your mouth (or the portion of it that you fill with one bite) is equal to one cubic unit, the following approximations should work well:
    Diameter: the number of bites it takes you to eat through the middle of the pie
    Circumference: the number of bites it takes you to eat around the outside of the pie
    Radius: the number of bites it takes you to eat from the outside of the pie to the center
    Chord length: the number of bites it takes to get from one point on the outside of the pie to another by following a straight path through the pie's interior.
    The Sine of 45 degrees: Cut the pie into 8 slices. Eat from the corner of a piece to the edge that does not touch that corner along a path that is perpendicular to the edge you are eating toward. Then, eat along one of the radial edges of a piece. The ratio of the number of bites the first of these takes to the number that the second one takes is the sine of 45 degrees