Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Fukushima 2.0?

  1. #1
    Philosopher Toucan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    **** Travian.
    Posts
    1,914

    Default Fukushima 2.0?

    http://video.foxnews.com/v/102821398...ylist_id=86856

    It raises eyes when it's happening on our own homefront, especially due to the incidents at Fukushima.

    I would assume the problems in Arizona are more severe at the moment than in Nebraska though.

  2. #2
    Philosopher Rhyme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Somewhere near DC
    Posts
    2,383

    Default

    This was not on my radar... But I can pretty much guarantee that my work load is going to increase as a result.

    UPDATE EDIT:

    The fire is indeed a non-issue. Just because there is a fire NEAR the plant does not mean that there's any way the fire could actually REACH the plant.

    The flood SHOULD be a non-issue. If the power goes out and the generators fail, they could run into problems similar to those experienced in the Fukushima disaster, but there's a huge difference between a flood and a tsunami... They've had a couple weeks leading up to this. It would be the biggest shock of my life if, in the wake of Fukushima, they didn't have their **** together.
    Last edited by Rhyme; 06-28-2011 at 03:42 PM.

  3. #3

    Woden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Georgia, U.S.A.
    Posts
    11,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyme View Post
    This was not on my radar... But I can pretty much guarantee that my work load is going to increase as a result.
    Should we be sending in extra FOIA requests about both Fukushima and this?

  4. #4

    StealthSigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cocoon
    Posts
    7,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woden View Post
    Should we be sending in extra FOIA requests about both Fukushima and this?
    Bring them in about Los Alamos and these power plants and Fukushima.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    Let me tell you, used tranny fluid tastes nasty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cora View Post
    I know I do a lot of the finger

  5. #5
    Philosopher dooglash sontoosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Berkeley
    Posts
    7,572

    Default

    Eh, having driven through Nebraska recently and eaten at their ninth best restaurant, (now 8th best hopefully we'd bumped them up), I can say with some accuracy that the US would not miss much if the whole state just exploded in a nuclear meltdown. In fact, if only that would happen in a few more states. . .

  6. #6
    Consul
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dooglash sontoosh View Post
    Eh, having driven through Nebraska recently and eaten at their ninth best restaurant, (now 8th best hopefully we'd bumped them up), I can say with some accuracy that the US would not miss much if the whole state just exploded in a nuclear meltdown.
    I think it actually might be an improvement for the state of Nebraska.

  7. #7
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    20,773

    Default

    Floods and fire? Please, FoxNews, we all know that fire and water cancel each other out. You get something like this: Nature uses fire on water. It's not very effective.

    On a side note: Michio Kaku teaches and works at my college (well, I just graduated, but still). He's awesome!

  8. #8

    Default

    Let's be clear, Fukushima had issues because of multiple failsafes failing at once. Fukushima was not rated for an earthquake of that size, despite that the generators did go on. The went out due to the tsunami. There were issues regulating the temperature and such of the core, as well as the water level. In these kind of instances the outside housing of the plant is built to be completely weather sealed so one serious weather event should not cause an entire plant to have a meltdown, though it may shut down the plant for a little bit.
    [4:50 PM] <Jamie> Also I'm NDA
    [8:49 AM] <Josh> Angry saffy is always angry
    [8:49 AM] <Saffy> ^ that too

  9. #9
    Consul Sirveri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    6,241

    Default

    It has also been in cold shutdown since April. So all the I131 is basically gone by now. This has actually been ongoing for a while now, but I haven't really seen a reason to get concerned yet. Well other than corrosion issues with the dry casks which are now underwater.

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshyyy View Post
    There is some serious misquoting potential above.
    The rep system should be abolished.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Let's be clear, Fukushima had issues because of multiple failsafes failing at once. Fukushima was not rated for an earthquake of that size, despite that the generators did go on. The went out due to the tsunami. There were issues regulating the temperature and such of the core, as well as the water level. In these kind of instances the outside housing of the plant is built to be completely weather sealed so one serious weather event should not cause an entire plant to have a meltdown, though it may shut down the plant for a little bit.
    Let's also be clear that you're assuming that the plant in US passed all their recent safety certifications. Nuclear power can be safe if all safety procedures are followed. Time and time again we've been shown by both private companies as well as governments that safety procedures are not always followed.

    They point out that nuclear regulators said in October that Fort Calhoun failed "to maintain procedures for combating a significant flood," earning a "yellow" safety violation. New documents show that workers were still plugging holes 11 days ago where water could come flooding in.

    "If there are radioactive areas of that plant internally, they could get washed out," Paul Gunter of advocacy group Beyond Nuclear said. "There's also the fact that if water does penetrate into the reactor itself that it could encroach upon electrical circuits, junction boxes on safety related equipment."
    Bibo ergo sum

  11. #11
    Philosopher Toucan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    **** Travian.
    Posts
    1,914

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyme View Post
    The fire is indeed a non-issue. Just because there is a fire NEAR the plant does not mean that there's any way the fire could actually REACH the plant.
    I don't know what the hell you're talking about. The fire is more of an immediate threat than the flooding is. Well, here's another article on the fire spreading towards the plant.

  12. #12
    Philosopher Rhyme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Somewhere near DC
    Posts
    2,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toucan View Post
    I don't know what the hell you're talking about. The fire is more of an immediate threat than the flooding is. Well, here's another article on the fire spreading towards the plant.
    From the article you linked:

    "Top lab officials and fire managers said they're confident the flames won't reach key buildings or areas where radioactive waste is stored above-ground. Areas around those buildings have been cleared of vegetation and are surrounded by gravel or asphalt, they said. As a last resort, foam could be sprayed on the barrels to ensure they aren't damaged by fire, they added."

    It's a non-issue. Trust me.

  13. #13

    StealthSigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cocoon
    Posts
    7,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyme View Post
    It's a non-issue. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chak View Post
    Let me tell you, used tranny fluid tastes nasty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cora View Post
    I know I do a lot of the finger

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •