Thread: Jon Huntsman for pres?

Default Jon Huntsman for pres?

As a libertarian-leaningish person, I am very pleased by huntsman as an GOP option. Whether I like him more than Obama I guess time will tell...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Hun...olitical_views

Summary: Pretty fiscally conservative, privatized Utah health care and cut deficits a lot, also partial to climate-change related policy (voted for cap and trade) and gay civil unions having equal legal standing w/ marriage. So far it seems that he's actually done what he claims to believe, so I trust him more than Romney.

Your thoughts?

Jono
    Quote Originally Posted by Rokchick View Post
    OMG, Wodey found a woman who agrees with him. He must be right, cos all women are always right all the time.

Banned.

I have a hard time taking anyone seriously who actually believes that Jesus came to America.

If you want Libertarian, look at Gary Johnson and Ron Paul in the GOP. Climate-change related legislation is not Libertarian. Just saying.

The base question is, what are you looking for? For me, the answer is Constitutionalist, libertarian candidates, which includes Ron Paul and Gary Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron D'Holbach View Post
    I have a hard time taking anyone seriously who actually believes that Jesus came to America.
    He's basically a cultural mormon, without saying so explicitly.

Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
    If you want Libertarian, look at Gary Johnson and Ron Paul in the GOP. Climate-change related legislation is not Libertarian. Just saying.

The base question is, what are you looking for? For me, the answer is Constitutionalist, libertarian candidates, which includes Ron Paul and Gary Johnson.
    I'm not hardcore libertarian, leaning libertarian almost by definition means I disagree with their platform (and Huntsman's) on several issues.
    OMG, Wodey found a woman who agrees with him. He must be right, cos all women are always right all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Whether I like him more than Obama I guess time will tell...
    Obama is one of the worst, he makes Bush Jr. seem like someone who actually gave a crap about America and it's people.
    Excuse me for disagreeing that your degeneracy is sacred.

Philosopher Principal Brian Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Erbal View Post
    Obama is one of the worst, he makes Bush Jr. seem like someone who actually gave a crap about America and it's people.
    Right, definitely, Obama personally ran this country into the ground. Fact: The economic crisis started the day he took office.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotmilk View Post
    Right, definitely, Obama personally ran this country into the ground. Fact: The economic crisis started the day he took office.
    So many like minded individuals...this calls for a rally!

Somewhere between the library and a keg...

So many like minded individuals...this calls for a rally!

I brought signs.
    http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...ForumSiggy.jpg

May the road rise up to meet your feet, may the wind be always at your back, and may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead

Quote Originally Posted by Gotmilk View Post
    What gives you even the slightest impression at all I was blaming Obama for things that took place prior to his Presidency and not strictly for the decisions made DURING his Presidency? Nothing gave you that impression thus you are coming off as a complete idiot and an assuming ***.
    Excuse me for disagreeing that your degeneracy is sacred.

Quote Originally Posted by Erbal View Post
    What gives you even the slightest impression at all I was blaming Obama for things that took place prior to his Presidency and not strictly for the decisions made DURING his Presidency? Nothing gave you that impression thus you are coming off as a complete idiot and an assuming ***.
    I have to agree with Erbal here. Obama has made ****** decisions while in office that had nothing to do with the ****-ups Bush had.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbstokem View Post
    o ya. i hope he goes back to it. i liked my name being in some1's sig

Quote Originally Posted by mbstokem View Post
    I have to agree with Erbal here. Obama has made ****** decisions while in office that had nothing to do with the ****-ups Bush had.
    Obama's major issue during his first two years is that he tried to please everyone, and failed to get anything accomplished while he had the majority in the house and the senate. Now he has to try to please everyone and is still failing at doing so.

Really though, anyone who took office after Bush was going to deal with a massive budget crisis and there is no way that 4 years was going to fix that no matter what your stance is.
    [4:50 PM] <Jamie> Also I'm NDA
    [8:49 AM] <Josh> Angry saffy is always angry
    [8:49 AM] <Saffy> ^ that too

I voted Hillary.

I'm not hardcore libertarian, leaning libertarian almost by definition means I disagree with their platform (and Huntsman's) on several issues.
    I think I remember you showed a Political Compass score before, and I think you were one of the people who are in the Libertarian right. There aren't many politicians down there. It's why I suggest Gary Johnson (GOP) and Ron Paul (GOP). Though I think Mike Gravel (Dem) is down there too.

Specific issues though Jono: Libya-should the US be intervening, marijuana-should it be illegal, economic intervention-should it happen, etc? Which issues do you feel are important?

I personally don't like Huntsman because he advocates foreign interventionism as well as economic interventionism.

I think I remember you showed a Political Compass score before, and I think you were one of the people who are in the Libertarian right. There aren't many politicians down there. It's why I suggest Gary Johnson (GOP) and Ron Paul (GOP). Though I think Mike Gravel (Dem) is down there too.

Specific issues though Jono: Libya-should the US be intervening, marijuana-should it be illegal, economic intervention-should it happen, etc? Which issues do you feel are important?

I personally don't like Huntsman because he advocates foreign interventionism as well as economic interventionism.
    I think Libya is the perfect example of when we should intervene. Super cheap (comparatively), consent of allies & regional powers, and against a relatively bad dude. MJ should not be illegal, infringes on freedom & the net benefits are negative. And yeah, for example in case of TARP it was pretty essential. I think that we should do much more to avoid allowing "bad" things like Mae/Mac to arise under government subsidization, but that once the calamity hits we need to take the most effective route to mitigate it.

I have libertarian roots, but I'm a pragmatist above all else.

Jono
    Last edited by Jono; 07-03-2011 at 10:25 PM.

I have libertarian roots, but I'm a pragmatist above all else.
    I can see that. That was basically a moderate position, except the part where marijuana should be legal, which I think is still considered fringe. (I'd talk to you about the 'cheap'ness of the Libya campaign as well as the 'essential'ness of TARP, but that's beside the point of the thread.)

I thought you were further right and more libertarian leaning. Given this new information, I don't know who you should support

I can see that. That was basically a moderate position, except the part where marijuana should be legal, which I think is still considered fringe. (I'd talk to you about the 'cheap'ness of the Libya campaign as well as the 'essential'ness of TARP, but that's beside the point of the thread.)

I thought you were further right and more libertarian leaning. Given this new information, I don't know who you should support
    I guess you could call me a moderate, I have policies all over the board. I'm super socially liberal [I support legalization of most drugs that don't 'cause' you to go out and exact serious harm on others], think that the corporate tax should be extremely lowered with minimal loopholes, but also want to see more progressive income tax policies. [obviously this involves new regulation to prevent 'hiding' personal income in a corp]. I used to be pretty close to Palin, drifted libertarian, then got more interventionist. I'd say I'm more libertarian with long term policy, but think that failed non-libertarian policies often need non-libertarian fixes in the short term.

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/w.../21/libya_cost

When I say "cheap" I say that because we're counting by the millions rather than billions, and will actually be leaving (I hope) pretty soon. I'd rather we be doing ONLY support, but w/e close enough.

I wasn't happy about the implementation of TARP, but yea it's not the best idea to let that many interconnected money trains fail all at the same time. I'd have preferred that we subsidize the lost loans significantly, including by selling off assets of said banks.